Aurora new itineraries

Manx buoy

1 hour ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Just had a quick on P&O site out of interest re the caribbean 40 nighter.  Inside, balcony and suite cabins now sold out.

Well done to those of you that got cabins of your choice.

I am wondering if some agents or P.O were taking bookings prior to 9am. I rang my T.A at 9 am literally on the clock strike and, although on hold for  15 minutes, when I requested a few certain cabins I  was  informed that the entire cabin grade was sold out. That was for an Inside on  the Canaries  cruise not even Balcony 

or Suite . Difficult to believe. I did manage to book an alternative grade  and notice that  the price has now increased significantly. Fingers crossed that next year's cruises go ahead for everyone. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, miniyorkie said:

I am wondering if some agents or P.O were taking bookings prior to 9am. I rang my T.A at 9 am literally on the clock strike and, although on hold for  15 minutes, when I requested a few certain cabins I  was  informed that the entire cabin grade was sold out. That was for an Inside on  the Canaries  cruise not even Balcony 

or Suite . Difficult to believe. I did manage to book an alternative grade  and notice that  the price has now increased significantly. Fingers crossed that next year's cruises go ahead for everyone. 

TA s weren't taking bookings before 9am I believe but they had asked people previously that if they were interested in booking to let them know details etc including cabin choices so they could probably make lots of bookings at 9am which probably didn't take up much time.Although prices weren't known I think people would have asked the TA to book if the cruise was under a certain price.

9 minutes ago, ann141 said:

TA s weren't taking bookings before 9am I believe but they had asked people previously that if they were interested in booking to let them know details etc including cabin choices so they could probably make lots of bookings at 9am which probably didn't take up much time.Although prices weren't known I think people would have asked the TA to book if the cruise was under a certain price.

OK. I didn't think that pre registration was available for these 2 cruises. My mistake as I would have pre registered. Glad I rang early though. Thanks 

15 minutes ago, miniyorkie said:

OK. I didn't think that pre registration was available for these 2 cruises. My mistake as I would have pre registered. Glad I rang early though. Thanks 

I don't think it was pre registration in the usual sense but the TA I contacted wanted people to give details so that she could book as soon as sales opened and I presume other TA s did similar.You couldn't pre register with P and O and even the TA s didn't know what the pricing would be

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ann141 said:

Yes Ann, I think you’re correct as that’s exactly what I did.

Les.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, miniyorkie said:

All a bit casual, did not have full details, which is why we were not committed, but we had decided we wanted to go ahead with it anyway.  Still only got a cabin at the end of a very long list.  I aggree it would have been far easier if pre-registrations had been allowed.

My agent has just rang for payment.  Mentioned to her that we thought it is the best thing to have arranged this year as we did not see the likelihood of us going off to (e.g. the Far East), having made independent arrangements.  She said she could see the possibility that we may be allowed off independently in some locations, but be under restrictions elsewhere with changes that will likely happen by then. Her reason being that he cruise lines have always said they will obey what is required here, but also (obviously) by what is required in the countries we visit.  I suspect she has an idea of how the wind will be blowing, though as she did say, it all depends on how the pandemic develops in the future.

Edited by tring
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, tring said:

My agent has just rang for payment.  Mentioned to her that we thought it is the best thing to have arranged this year as we did not see the likelihood of us going off to (e.g. the Far East), having made independent arrangements.  She said she could see the possibility that we may be allowed off independently in some locations, but be under restrictions elsewhere with changes that will likely happen by then. Her reason being that he cruise lines have always said they will obey what is required here, but also (obviously) by what is required in the countries we visit.  I suspect she has an idea of how the wind will be blowing, though as she did say, it all depends on how the pandemic develops in the future.

Glad you got a cabin.Was it the grade you wanted?

15 minutes ago, ann141 said:

Glad you got a cabin.Was it the grade you wanted?

Yes, which was a GB grade, but not in the original list of seven cabins which I had given.  We got cold feet late yesterday afternoon and sent quite a lot of other numbers in a message - it was one of those and is diagonally opposite the launderette on C deck, so hoping we are not disturbed every morning with passengers have a good chat, whilst waiting for it to open!

At first we were thinking of a midship deluxe cabin, but it seems that was likely to be more than we wanted to pay and we also thought it may be more difficult to nab one of those as they would likely be extremely popular.  We had a sort of ball court price as a general indication, but not an actual price.   

Edited by tring
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, tring said:

Yes, which was a GB grade, but not in the original list of seven cabins which I had given.  We got cold feet late yesterday afternoon and sent quite a lot of other numbers in a message - it was one of those and is diagonally opposite the launderette on C deck, so hoping we are not disturbed every morning with passengers have a good chat, whilst waiting for it to open!

At first we were thinking of a midship deluxe cabin, but it seems that was likely to be more than we wanted to pay and we also thought it may be more difficult to nab one of those as they would likely be extremely popular.  We had a sort of ball court price as a general indication, but not an actual price.   

I was hoping for a deluxe balcony as well, but I wasn’t prepared to pay the £11.5k they were asking for it! I’m on C deck as well but on the starboard side just forward of the forward lifts.

I wonder if P&O are kicking themselves for not asking for higher prices. They probably could’ve filled her several times over for the prices they were asking.

Les.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ann141 said:

I am hoping that because the new itineraries on Aurora have sold so quickly, that P and O may realise how popular she is and hold on to her for as long as possible.

Or, playing devil's advocate,  people have a lot of FCC  to use up, regardless of the ship !

13 hours ago, ann141 said:

I am hoping that because the new itineraries on Aurora have sold so quickly, that P and O may realise how popular she is and hold on to her for as long as possible.

If they can continue to achieve premium fares for Aurora then I imagine P&O will keep her running. But passengers might not like the premium needed to make her as profitable as Iona or Arvia.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

If they can continue to achieve premium fares for Aurora then I imagine P&O will keep her running. But passengers might not like the premium needed to make her as profitable as Iona or Arvia.

I think as long as Aurora continues to do some of the longer (17 nights+)cruises some people would be prepared to pay a premium to sail on her.I wouldn't pay extra to sail on her say to The Canary Islands but probably would if she called at new ports(for me) of call

Edited by ann141

I got first choice of cabin at opening price for Canaries cruise. Two TAs I phoned on Monday gave me actual quotes and I pre-registered with one of them with full details and list of cabin numbers, so some people knew the prices before 9am Tueday.

• Like 2

Given P&O try to be all things to all people - ie a ship for everyone, my suggestion for Aurora is to Saga-ish her. Make her all-inclusive, adult only and target Saga's demographic with off-the-beaten-track itineraries - much like Artemis was. Pax would be happy to pay a reasonable premium for that I believe.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Host Sharon said:

Given P&O try to be all things to all people - ie a ship for everyone, my suggestion for Aurora is to Saga-ish her. Make her all-inclusive, adult only and target Saga's demographic with off-the-beaten-track itineraries - much like Artemis was. Pax would be happy to pay a reasonable premium for that I believe.

I think itineraries are the key, but as Moley has mentioned, P&O do the same ports as it is cost effective for them to do that (presumably big contacts there).  Even Adonia, which was a great chance to branch out to more interesting destinations, was taken to pretty run of the mill destinations, likewise Pacific Princess (another Renaissance ship).  Carnival made their case clear when they axed Swan Hellenic in 2007, though we were on Minerva II shortly before her demise and were speaking to someone who had done some searching in the financials.  He said that ship just did not make any money!

Sadly, the way foreward for P& O and the other large cruise lines, is the model they have been persuing, along with keeping the prices low.  Other options are available though and there are many, but none cheap compared to P&O.  Fred is likely the nearest as UK based, with very different itineraries and smaller ships, (though no longer as small as before).  Interesting his prices are coming down, as they always do nearer the sailing dates, but he still has some way to go yet for many cruises, and we, like some others, have resorted to the cheaper cabins to maintain a reasonable cost yet still benefit from the better service, food and customer service.  The Saga itineraries, I have seen recently are not what I would call off the beaten track.  Other folk will prefer the luxury lines and will pay for their luxuries.  You pay your money and take your choice.

Regards the Aurora sales, I believe it was not so much for the ship, (though it helped), as for a way to get some winter sun this year in relative safety from cancellation or disruption (like us).  Also many people who were previously booked on World Cruises etc. were looking for the nearest replacement.  I have joined a group for that cruise and it appears there are a lot of people who were previously booked on the world cruise.

Edited by tring

3 hours ago, tring said:

The Saga itineraries, I have seen recently are not what I would call off the beaten track.  Other folk will prefer the luxury lines and will pay for their luxuries.  You pay your money and take your choice.

The Baltic cruise i have booked goes to Kemi in Finland - never heard of it, let alone been there. It also skips St Pete's which suited us. Our other cruise is (hopefully) visiting the Black Sea which P&O or Cunard haven't been to for years. That goes to Batumi, Sinop, Varna and Trabzon among other places. Don't think they are on Carnival's radar.

• Like 1