Parring down toiletries

lhsail

58 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Good morning, Mum2Mercury, I have a question because I am really confused. I have never heard of doing this before and wondering about sending your toiletries to your pre-cruise hotel ahead of time? So you need to have the street address of your hotel  and you need to make sure someone at the hotel will receive your package and hold it until you arrive? Sorry, this just makes no sense to me at all. 

Maybe I am missing something? 

Here's an example:   

When we did our month-long Western national parks road trip, we flew to Las Vegas, where we rented a car.  As always, we flew with only carry-ons -- so toiletries were a problem.  We also wanted to pack two kitchen knives (because we had sandwiches out of a cooler every day for lunch) and my husband couldn't do without his pocket knife.  So I packaged up our toiletries, the knives, and a couple other things we wanted for the trip /didn't want to carry, and I mailed a package to myself (at the hotel's address) two weeks before the trip.  I packaged everything in ziplocks in case of spills.  When we arrived, the package was waiting for us -- and, most of all, we'd breezed through the airport with zero liquids.  

Yes, you'd need to know the street address of your night-before hotel, and you'd need to call ahead to verify that they accept/hold packages for guests.  

This, of course, was before you could order things and having them gathered up /waiting for you at a Walmart or drug store.  

35 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Thanks for the reply. Whatever works for you.

Nothing about it appeals to me really.

It's not a system that'd work for everyone /every trip, but it was just what we needed for that Western parks trip.  And, as I said, this was before you could order on line and have a package waiting for you at Walmart or a drug store.  

3 hours ago, Lois R said:

Thanks for the reply. Whatever works for you.

Nothing about it appeals to me really.

Lois - I was just going to add that i received packages all the time for arriving guests,  just put your name and "arriving <date>"  When the guest arrives, i'd give the package.

Works for within the US, but not sure how it would work internationally.   i actually checked my roller on the flight back from Paris because i bought some knives.  Just because it was a carryon does not mean it cannot be checked!!  That's how I go.

• Like 2

I thought of another idea as I was standing in line at the grocery store today:  

You know how ladies' magazines have fragrance strips advertising perfume?  Instead of bringing a bottle of perfume, save up a couple of these and rub them on your wrists.  My thrifty grandmother taught me to do this.  She also taught me to cut them out of magazines and keep them in my socks-and-underwear drawers to make things smell nice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I thought of another idea as I was standing in line at the grocery store today:  

You know how ladies' magazines have fragrance strips advertising perfume?  Instead of bringing a bottle of perfume, save up a couple of these and rub them on your wrists.  My thrifty grandmother taught me to do this.  She also taught me to cut them out of magazines and keep them in my socks-and-underwear drawers to make things smell nice.

I just stop by the shops on ship and spritz on some Chanel from the tester.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/23/2021 at 4:48 PM, Anita Latte said:

Travel sizes can still have way more than what you actually need for two weeks, especially in some skin care products where you use a pea sized bit of cream etc. Try decanting such products into contact lens cases, the kind that have screw on tops. They are water tight, small and light. If you have them lying around, you can test capacity for getting through 2 weeks. Also, you could purchase sample size containers for cosmetics, like 5g, I saw several available from discount stores and online in various quantities. Labeling could be a challenge...

Sharpie markers will work. Abbreviate. 

• 7 months later...

I finally gave in and bought Cadence containers. They are expensive but they do not leak and since you fill them with your own products you don't have to pay for travel size products.  I looked at my sample size serum and it is .5 oz, approximately the same size as the smallest Cadence container, but the sample size was twice as big because it has a pump top. On my last cruise, my serum and moisteriser were in the 56 size Cadence containers and they each lasted for about 10 days. I have purchased the larger containers for hair products and longer trips. It is an investment but I think it is well worth it for frequent travelers.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, 57YO here. I 

These refillable tubes were a game changer for me.

I was in Europe for a month w/ backpack & carry on bag.

I was AMAZED how little product I used.

Try filling these with your product (label with sharpie or plastic labels for label makers) & use them for 2 weeks. I ran out of NOTHING in a month!

Now, as I said I use powder foundation so that helps (Bare Minerals--people think I am 5-10 yrs younger when it's on).

I also tried & fell in love with GEMZ "solid" shampoo & conditioner--very lightweight.

They come individually packaged--I was able to cut the shampoo in half for each use.

And my bag had more things in it than usual as Europe can be pickier (solid deoderant, mascara may need to be in your bag).

I prefer the 20ml size but honestly, 10 ml might have been big enough for most things!

I didn't need sunscreen on that trip--my powder foundation has it in it, as does my moisturizer & it was cool so no pool/beach time.

I bought 2 things there: hairspray (I wasn't sure 2 travel size would even be enough for a month) & a decent tube of lotion (which was AMAZING--SO SO much thicker than what I get here for that same inexpensive price) since it was very dry in N. Europe. I used the lotion up & left the hairspray for my cabin attendant.

If you are sailing the Caribbean, I would just pick up sunscreen once you get there as well. 

Honestly, sunscreen is the biggest issue for our upcoming Med cruise...I understand it is expensive there. We have a checked bag allowed & transfers booked so won't be shlepping cases on cobblestone or on trains as I did in May.

image.png

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This is such a big struggle. I am so close to making it all fit in a carry on approved bag. One thing I love is my perfume atomizer I got from Amazon and filled with my favorite scent, it’s small and travels great. I shop at Sephora and got a new mini mascara for free (used points) for my next few cruises. The Sephora rewards bazar is a great spot for mini and travel sized items. The birthday gift I get from them I always pick the skincare bundle because it’s the perfect travel size.

shampoo, conditioner, styling product, body wash, toothpaste, cleanser, moisturizer, eye cream, lip mask, primer, foundation, mascara, lash glue, sunscreen, after sun, essential oils, perfume, and laundry soap.

when I’m on vacation I love putting makeup on before going to dinner. I just bring exactly the amount I need instead of big bottles and the weight is much more manageable 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/17/2023 at 11:48 AM, 34TigerLily said:

I finally gave in and bought Cadence containers. They are expensive but they do not leak and since you fill them with your own products you don't have to pay for travel size products.  I looked at my sample size serum and it is .5 oz, approximately the same size as the smallest Cadence container, but the sample size was twice as big because it has a pump top. On my last cruise, my serum and moisteriser were in the 56 size Cadence containers and they each lasted for about 10 days. I have purchased the larger containers for hair products and longer trips. It is an investment but I think it is well worth it for frequent travelers.

I'm so attracted to these things -- I like organization.  I just went over and "built a set" of Cadence containers, but the reason I just couldn't "pull the trigger" and buy them was that they wouldn't hold everything.  Specific thoughts: 

- I like the idea of those toothpaste tablets the site mentions.  I'm going to order some from Amazon.

- How does shampoo and conditioner work with a screw-off top?  I'm concerned it'd be easy to spill.  For this much money, I'd like to have a "squirt bottle".  Even though my hair's not that long, I think I use a lot of shampoo.  I think I'd need two shampoo containers.  

- I'd still need to carry deodorant, sunscreen, a razor /shaving cream and a small hair spray separately.  Those necessities kinda mess up this perfect vision of lovely matching containers.  

- I'd still need to carry make-up separately.  I recently purchased a rectangular, flat make-up that contains eye shadows, blush and lipstick, and I'm looking forward to bringing it on a cruise.

- I dislike the website's slant on recycling.  They claim the average American throws away X number of travel-sized containers every year.  Doesn't make sense:  couldn't you refill the small travel container just as easily as you'd refill their expensive containers?  I do -- I've been using the same small travel containers for years; even a small hairspray can be refilled.

I really want these, but I just don't think I can do it.

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 1

In case anyone needs a bit of comic relief on this complicated subject:

I usually pack a Colgate toothpaste that comes in a little "flask" and can stand on its end, rather than a squishy tube that might leak.  Yesterday, beside those in the store, I saw a smaller container, a tube with a big cap, able to stand on its end. In spite of its childish trim, I bought it for my cruise. At home, with my glasses on, I discovered it is fruit-flavored.  After a lifetime of mint, can I handle it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

I usually pack a Colgate toothpaste that comes in a little "flask" and can stand on its end, rather than a squishy tube that might leak.  Yesterday, beside those in the store, I saw a smaller container, a tube with a big cap, able to stand on its end. In spite of its childish trim, I bought it for my cruise. At home, with my glasses on, I discovered it is fruit-flavored.  After a lifetime of mint, can I handle it?

When the kids visit I have tried those and yuk.  Find someone to pass it on to and try again!

Edited by Mary229

5 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

I mistakenly packed some kids Crest I must have gotten from our dentist for a trip last week. I couldn’t wait to be done with it. 

13 hours ago, Mary229 said:

When the kids visit I have tried those and yuk.  Find someone to pass it on to and try again!

Thank you; it will go into my charity box. I didn't want to open it to try, and then have it leak in transit. You (both) made my decision for me.

On 9/3/2023 at 5:12 PM, shipgeeks said:

At home, with my glasses on, I discovered it is fruit-flavored.  After a lifetime of mint, can I handle it?

Could be worse.  I'm suffering from an odd medical condition right now (thankfully temporary) that can change your tastebuds.  My mint-toothpaste now tastes like "brown with salt".  No, I don't exactly know what "brown" is or what it tastes like, but that's what I think every time I brush my teeth now.  Weird, I know.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Napagirl said:

That must be so difficult for you. Sorry to hear that. 

It gets hard sometimes.   Certain ones just set me off.  And lilies - they are the worst!  I had to tell my Front Desk Manager once to please tell the florist to not put lilies in out Desk arrangements - I had to keep leaving work because I would get the worst migraines.  

Two fragrances that I could tolerate IF applied lightly - the original Lauren by Ralph Lauren in the maroon bottle and Angel by Thierry Muglier.  I did inherit this problem from my mom.  No perfumes anywhere.  The only flowers she could tolerate were daisies.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

It gets hard sometimes.   Certain ones just set me off.  And lilies - they are the worst!  I had to tell my Front Desk Manager once to please tell the florist to not put lilies in out Desk arrangements - I had to keep leaving work because I would get the worst migraines.  

Two fragrances that I could tolerate IF applied lightly - the original Lauren by Ralph Lauren in the maroon bottle and Angel by Thierry Muglier.  I did inherit this problem from my mom.  No perfumes anywhere.  The only flowers she could tolerate were daisies.  

I'm the same with Day Lilies but for me it's asthma.....as a retired RN, I often had to ask patients if they minded if I removed the whole arrangement from their room or the lilies from the vase & told them why....only a few said no way could I do either one.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, slidergirl said:

I had no idea about the lilies - looks like you're not alone! Normally when I wear fragrance, it's a body spray and it goes on the back of my neck. The kind of thing that you should only be able to smell if you're hugging me or really close. I almost never wear the strong stuff. I'm not allergic but I'm sensitive to smells and I'm so very picky too. If someone doused in perfume hugs me and it stays on my chest I have to go in the bathroom and wash it off. lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Lilies just kill me

I'm also very sensitive to fragrances - to the point where I'm seriously planning to take unscented hand soap to keep in my cabin on my next cruise. Luckily the era of overwhelming perfume/body spray (Axe is the devil) seems to be fading, but I do have a hard time finding unscented or minimally scented products. Shampoos seem to be the worst for this. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, neeuqdrazil said:

I'm also very sensitive to fragrances - to the point where I'm seriously planning to take unscented hand soap to keep in my cabin on my next cruise. Luckily the era of overwhelming perfume/body spray (Axe is the devil) seems to be fading, but I do have a hard time finding unscented or minimally scented products. Shampoos seem to be the worst for this. 

I'm an unscented soap/detergent household.  I've had some really bad shampoos, too.  Deodorants, too.  I always take a little wedge of unscented soap with me on trips.   

Oh - gladiolas - I knew there was another flower my mom could tolerate.  Our town florist had his greenhouses/store behind my grandma's house.  He always knew to keep out lillies and add gladiolas to anything for my mom!]

• Like 1