Too cold to do Cape Liberty, NJ cruise in Dec?

16 hours ago, Coralc said:

I wanted to book a cruise out of Cape Liberty in February. And my husband said, "Are you high? NO." :classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin:

Listen to ya husband on this one!  ;) 

• Thanks 1

Weather is always a gamble.  We cruised out of Tampa once and it was so cold that we could see our breath the day we returned.  Froze our butts off cave tubing in Belize.  But that was an unusual cold snap, of course.  As a native New Yorker I can definitely tell you that warm weather in December is not the norm and snow is quite possible.  That said, we are booked on the Anthem out of NJ in January.  Due to "an abundance of caution" (who's not totally sick of that???) we figured we would keep it simple with no airfare complications.  We've been on Ovation out of Australia so we know Anthem is a great cold weather ship. 

• Like 3

I've sailed out of NY in January...it was the NY-SF segment of a world cruise on Queen Victoria and yes there was one day, the night we sailed out of NY, it was cold with snow on the decks, but the next day it warmed up and the day after that we were in Ft Lauderdale wearing shorts. The QV has much fewer indoor venues and is a much smaller ship than you will be sailing, yet we managed to find plenty to do indoors for that first sea day.

Don't listen to the doom-and-gloomers or worry about packing a lot of winter clothes. Psst... (whispering) you can wear the same warmer outfit when disembarking on the last day that you wore embarking on the first day, no one will ever notice. 

Edited by vjmatty
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Travelling2Some said:

Weather is always a gamble.  We cruised out of Tampa once and it was so cold that we could see our breath the day we returned.  Froze our butts off cave tubing in Belize.  But that was an unusual cold snap, of course.  As a native New Yorker I can definitely tell you that warm weather in December is not the norm and snow is quite possible.  That said, we are booked on the Anthem out of NJ in January.  Due to "an abundance of caution" (who's not totally sick of that???) we figured we would keep it simple with no airfare complications.  We've been on Ovation out of Australia so we know Anthem is a great cold weather ship. 

When are you booked on Anthem in January? I'm booked on her Jan 20-31, 2022. Glad to hear that Anthem is a great cold weather ship!

• Like 2

On 6/27/2021 at 9:35 AM, Lady Hudson said:

And for families to get to Disney for a day trip!  

Personally, if we want to go to Disney, I would fly to Orlando and stay in Disney.  Doing it through the cruise just adds time complications to a Disney visit.

As to NY area cruise ports in winter the probability of closure is small (buy trip insurance).  We live in the area so I would rather drive to a cruise port then have to get on an airplane, so I would cruise out of here in the winter.  Not sure I would cruise out of here in the winter if my destination was the Caribbean AND I also had to board a plane, personal preference.   

One thing you might want to consider is that although Newark airport rarely closes, delays into Newark get worse with bad weather.  I personally would not do a same day flight and departure.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Travelling2Some said:

Also a native New Yorker and once the weather hits 40 degrees at home after a cold snap I don't even need a jacket. My NY relatives who transplanted to Florida reach for a sweater or sweatshirt when it drops to 70 degrees. The A/C is set to 80 degrees normally but they drop it to 78 when we visit. I have to  have the ceiling fan spinning a million miles an hour in the bedroom at night. So depending where you live can make a difference as to how you would handle a winter cruise from the northeast.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, F27TW said:

.. Notice he didn't mention where the ship actually was on that 85 degree day.   Maybe already in Nassau or St. Maarten?  It was  NOT off the coast of Jersey, thats for sure. 

And no .. i'd never sail outta the northeast in winter ... only in spring/summer/early fall.  

Christmas dinner was at my house in NJ. I left for my cruise in January.

10 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Also a native New Yorker and once the weather hits 40 degrees at home after a cold snap I don't even need a jacket. My NY relatives who transplanted to Florida reach for a sweater or sweatshirt when it drops to 70 degrees. The A/C is set to 80 degrees normally but they drop it to 78 when we visit. I have to  have the ceiling fan spinning a million miles an hour in the bedroom at night. So depending where you live can make a difference as to how you would handle a winter cruise from the northeast.

I went off the grid for 9 years and worked logging and selling firewood in upstate New York. When loading and splitting wood I would be in a T shirt while the snows were falling.

A cool or cold day before 8-9 days in the Caribbean with another cool down day is fine with me and I don't get temperature shock from a same day difference of 60 degrees.

There is a small spot in the center of the attached photo that shows where I built my cabin and the surrounding area I worked in every day .

I'LL TAKE A CRUISE OUT OF JERSEY EVEN IF WE NEED AN ICE BREAKER TO GET TO THE AMBROSE CHANNEL.   LOL

house2.JPG

13 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

..... So depending where you live can make a difference as to how you would handle a winter cruise from the northeast.

Very true.  We used to take our kids to Disney in the winter and would almost always find it warm enough (for us!) to swim outside at night.  Chatting with folks at the pool we would find that they were always fellow northerners.  Locals and people from warmer states seemed to regard it as too cold to swim. 

As for winter cruising, it would also make a difference how much of a "beach and pool" person you are.  I never use the pools on a ship anyway, don't tan and only like the beach for sunset walks.  We normally do our cruising in Europe but wanted to do something this winter that did not require committing to airfare.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MorganClark said:

When are you booked on Anthem in January? I'm booked on her Jan 20-31, 2022. Glad to hear that Anthem is a great cold weather ship!

We are supposed to sail on January 31st but plan to bail (not literally, I hope!) if there are restrictions with shore excursions or masking in effect.

• Thanks 1

One thing we have enjoyed on winter sailings from NJ (in addition to not having to fly) was very attractive pricing.  Just checked my ta's web site and found balcony prices for Anthem (including port charges but before my d+ discount and other percs) of $509pp for a 7 night Bahamas sailing on 2/27/22, $805 for a 9 night on 2/11/22 and $923 for an 11 night on 1/31/22.  TA picks up my grats so can sail for under $100/night.  

On 7/27/2021 at 9:18 PM, Baron Barracuda said:

Have done a number of winter sailings out of Bayonne.  Love leaving from Cape Liberty as it takes the uncertainty of flying out of the equation.  Few years back did a family Xmas sailing from NJ on Explorer.  Ship left in a blizzard, 10" of snow on the deck.  Pool deck was closed to passengers for two days.  Many, many arriving by plane missed the ship including the band and priest who was to say Xmas mass.  They didn't catch up to us until our first stop three days later in San Juan.

Believe winter sailings from NJ are great, but only if you can drive to ship.  Why take the risk of flight delays/cancellations and two days of cold weather each way.  Better off flying direct to Fl and enjoy warm weather throughout.

I heard about it too. It was a very sad story. However, in other cases, I would prefer getting there beforehand and definitly not by a car. Its not that kind of situation where you need to arrive at the day of the departure. I would arrive a day or two before a departure

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Travelling2Some said:

Very true.  We used to take our kids to Disney in the winter and would almost always find it warm enough (for us!) to swim outside at night.  Chatting with folks at the pool we would find that they were always fellow northerners.  Locals and people from warmer states seemed to regard it as too cold to swim. 

As for winter cruising, it would also make a difference how much of a "beach and pool" person you are.  I never use the pools on a ship anyway, don't tan and only like the beach for sunset walks.  We normally do our cruising in Europe but wanted to do something this winter that did not require committing to airfare.

On the Anthem the only thing that might be an issue the first day would be flowrider but I bet a diehard would pack a wetsuit. They have indoor pools so for the first day it's really not a hardship.

On 7/29/2021 at 8:17 AM, boscobeans said:

I went off the grid for 9 years and worked logging and selling firewood in upstate New York. When loading and splitting wood I would be in a T shirt while the snows were falling.

A cool or cold day before 8-9 days in the Caribbean with another cool down day is fine with me and I don't get temperature shock from a same day difference of 60 degrees.

There is a small spot in the center of the attached photo that shows where I built my cabin and the surrounding area I worked in every day .

I'LL TAKE A CRUISE OUT OF JERSEY EVEN IF WE NEED AN ICE BREAKER TO GET TO THE AMBROSE CHANNEL.   LOL

house2.JPG

You live so remote. I would imagine that being on a crowded cruise ship leaving from a metropolis would be more of an adjustment than the weather.  I see the difference this year vs last year going to the beach or restaurants.

Edited by Iamcruzin

On 7/29/2021 at 8:17 AM, boscobeans said:

house2.JPG

I can relate... I used to live in Saranac Lake, and after a cold snap of two weeks with below zero temps, 20 degrees felt balmy.  I'd run out to my car or the mailbox without a coat.

Compare to Athens in March....70 degrees and people are wearing wool coats.  Our internal thermostats vary from person to person, and even within the same person depending on recent experience.

Edited by vjmatty

3 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

On the Anthem the only thing that might be an issue the first day would be flowrider but I bet a diehard would pack a wetsuit. 

The wet suit won’t help if it’s below 50F, as the venue will be closed. 

• Like 1

On 6/27/2021 at 12:02 AM, CruiseBride926 said:

We did a December cruise on Anthem in 2019. There is so much to do indoors that we didn’t even miss the outside for the day and a half or so that it took to get to warmer weather. 

We also did a December 2019 cruise on the Anthem ,possibly the same one.

90% of our cruises have been from NJ or NY in December’s Never a problem with weather.

• Like 2

On 7/27/2021 at 8:46 AM, ray985 said:

I did a January cruise from Baltimore a few years ago and wouldn't do it again. So much time is wasted being trapped inside the ship. That being said, I was on a smaller/older ship, the Carnival Pride. The Anthem of the Seas has a lot more indoor areas/facilities and covered pools so that could change it, but personally, from now on I'm flying down to Florida for winter cruises. It's just a much more fun experience to start off the whole cruise on a warm note. 

We left out of Baltimore four times in December and we were outside on deck .If you do not overdo it ,not a problem.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

If we walked, probably four hours or Charlie says we can hitch a ride!

In 1965 during the NYC Transit strike I walked from where I lived in Brooklyn to get my paycheck at 6th.Ave and 47 St.in Manhattan.Of course when I got there my office was closed.I walked back and sprained both ankles.

Another local here. Although we haven't done it yet (haven't had the opportunity) we'd sell out of Bayonne in the middle of winter without hesitation, especially on Anthem since it looks like there would be plenty to do on the first and last couple of days.

• Like 2