Celebrity pricing. Will you sail at these prices? Anyone know of price drops?

Keys Kathy

14 hours ago, Keys Kathy said:

We all know that the X prices are waayy out of line right now. Anyone who watches the pricing knows that inventory doesn't seem to be moving. As an example, I have been watching the S1 on the Apex on Jan 29th, they have sold 3 cabins in the last 6 months. 

Now we get to the "Always Included", which does not seem to MEAN always included. I get advertisements for a great price from several agencies. When I nibble at the price, I find out it is "sail only".

Personally, I think this extremely confusing to the public. X pushes the "AI" and I might be a bit daft so I looked it up and Always means "at all times; on all occasions." Ok, so perhaps I misunderstand the word "all". So I looked...."used to refer to the whole quantity or extent of a particular group or thing."

Is anyone else feel like we are being mislead? At least Big, better, best let us choose what level we wanted to pay for. 

Can we make a pact to let each other know about any price drops?

I have been comparing a transatlantic from Rome to Florida for Fall 2022 between Celebrity, Royal C, NCL and Princess.

Celebrity is by far the most expensive.  Royal C has cruises about half the price of X.   Always included has pushed up overall prices, and hurt those that don't want the perks.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TMLAalum said:

Our 1st cruise ever was on the NCL Pearl to Alaska r/t Seattle in 2008. I recall we paid @$3600 for two in a veranda. No drinks or tips included. We are only at $500 more for our upcoming Alaska cruise on the Millennium 13 years later but drinks and gratuities are included. 

Our early cruises were far cheaper, but I think Alaska cruises tend to be higher on a per day basis.

Our first Celebrity cruise was in 2011 from FTL through the Panama Canal down the coast of S. America to Chile.  Cost for a veranda was about $900 pp.   We spent about $500 on alcohol since we weren't elite then, not bad for a two week cruise.

Based on the itineraries I am looking at certainly not!  Prices now are significantly more than what I had booked and cancelled.  My New Zealand cruise that was cancelled this past March is approx $2,000 more in 2022 and the only difference is one extra perk (I had 2 on my cancelled cruise).  I’ve rebooked that cruise on Princess instead.  Two other cruises I have my eyes on are also significantly higher than they were and generally more expensive than Royal and Princess.

Hoping this is due to all the FCC’s out there and pent up demand but for now I’ll keep an eye on the price but most likely book with another line.

For those of you who found similar pricing to last year…. Congratulations.

16 minutes ago, RickT said:

Based on the itineraries I am looking at certainly not!  Prices now are significantly more than what I had booked and cancelled.  My New Zealand cruise that was cancelled this past March is approx $2,000 more in 2022 and the only difference is one extra perk (I had 2 on my cancelled cruise).  I’ve rebooked that cruise on Princess instead.  Two other cruises I have my eyes on are also significantly higher than they were and generally more expensive than Royal and Princess.

Hoping this is due to all the FCC’s out there and pent up demand but for now I’ll keep an eye on the price but most likely book with another line.

For those of you who found similar pricing to last year…. Congratulations.

I know there is pent up demand, and I would LOVE to have a rez for Sept/Oct. BUT, Covid hit us too, so when you are out of work or working a limited schedule, we are also affected by the $$$. A lot of savings were used due to Covid.

I think that X is going to have to slim down their profit margins and make their money from quantity, not trying to make up for covid losses in 1 season. They offered the FFC so they could have that operating cash. When you dance to the tune, you have to pay the piper. 

Give us decent rates, and we will come! Heck, we WANT to come! 

24 minutes ago, Keys Kathy said:

I know there is pent up demand, and I would LOVE to have a rez for Sept/Oct. BUT, Covid hit us too, so when you are out of work or working a limited schedule, we are also affected by the $$$. A lot of savings were used due to Covid.

I think that X is going to have to slim down their profit margins and make their money from quantity, not trying to make up for covid losses in 1 season. They offered the FFC so they could have that operating cash. When you dance to the tune, you have to pay the piper. 

Give us decent rates, and we will come! Heck, we WANT to come! 

They are likely not making a profit (or very little) on a very limited number of cruises and a few cruise ships that are sailing at 30% to 50% capacity.  It will be actually a few years until they will show a profit.  And it is all supply and demand.  Once everybody has finished with their Lift and Shift cruises and their FFC cruises, maybe by 2023 (?) there will be a lot more cabin inventory and hopefully price moderation.  I am confused about what tune they were dancing to,  other than basic survival running expensive operations for 18 months with zero revenue.  The Pipers they are paying are the banks and investment firms that floated them cash and credit at high costs.

Edited by TeeRick
  • Like 1

We will not pay the current fares.

We will probably not cruise until late 2022 or 2023...and only IF cruises are compettive.

We will definitely be comparing the prices to luxury cruise lines to determine if the price differential yields makes sense.

Cruising is not the only game in town.  We compare our perceived value from cruises with other travel options.  And there are many.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 2

It is clear to me that ALL cruise lines a raising their prices to try to get some cash flow — even from those using the 125% FCCs. While this is understandable from the line’s cash starved point of view, it is not attractive to us potential cruisers.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

It is clear to me that ALL cruise lines a raising their prices to try to get some cash flow — even from those using the 125% FCCs. While this is understandable from the line’s cash starved point of view, it is not attractive to us potential cruisers.

Agreed- but people seem to be jumping all over themselves to book at least these early cruises.  As long as that continues to happen prices will remain high.  No need to attract potential customers when they fill ships with current customers willing to pay whatever to cruise again.

• Like 1

The trend is higher prices for a lot of reasons.

Suppose stock and real estate prices are another 30% higher in 2023 and we have full employment and international travel is fully open. You really think prices are going to be lower?

I have deposits out to April 2023. I've never done that before.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2021 at 4:16 PM, Keys Kathy said:

Personally, I think this extremely confusing to the public. X pushes the "AI" and I might be a bit daft so I looked it up and Always means "at all times; on all occasions." Ok, so perhaps I misunderstand the word "all". So I looked...."used to refer to the whole quantity or extent of a particular group or thing."

It's not "Always Included"... It's "Always Included *"  with the * leading you to T&Cs with the phrase "All guests in an Eligible Booking who choose the “Always Included” pricing package"

So, with that they are making it clear that this is a pricing package, not that it's an all inclusive price all the time...

I'm a deal shopper, and if you look for "deals" there are still some to be had. But no, I wouldn't book a Celebrity cruise for a large premium. There are plenty of other vacations options out there.

From what I have read on these boards, the early cruises are not that heavily booked.  I believe it is the need to use the FCC that is leading to the increase in prices.  I believe prices will drop once a lot of the FCC is used, assuming the ships are allowed to return to full capacity.  

Based on X's prices if we cruise next year, it will be with Royal C or Princess.

Also, we plan to book land tours, which don't seem to have gone up in price like cruises.

Looking at a two week land tour with Gate 1 of Israel and Jordan.   The tour and the added day tours total would run about $3000 per person including hotels, most meals and guided tours.

3 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Agreed- but people seem to be jumping all over themselves to book at least these early cruises.  As long as that continues to happen prices will remain high.  No need to attract potential customers when they fill ships with current customers willing to pay whatever to cruise again.

But does anybody know the percent of new bookings are made using FCCs?  On some lines, these have to be used by the end of this year, as things now stand. Fare increases give the lines some new money on these bookings, but pretty far from the full current fare. For many of us, the uncertainty of cruising combined with fare hikes are keeping us on dry land.

I currently have 5 cruises booked.....Constellation for this Nov., Radiance OTS for Jan. 2022, Serenade OTS for Oct. 2022, Grandeur OTS for Jan. 2023, and NCL Pearl for August 2023.  I have NEVER booked so many and so far out before, but I know prices are rising, due to demand, and are selling much quicker than previously.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Celebrity has always based their pricing in recent years on supply and demand, even well before COVID became a household name. This is why if at all possible we book X cruises when they first get released and then subsequently refare some of the less popular bookings maybe 2-4 times while others we leave alone as they just keep going up. For us it's just part of the cruising adventure! 😎

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Celebrity has always based their pricing in recent years on supply and demand, even well before COVID became a household name. …….For us it's just part of the cruising adventure! 😎

Yup, pretty much part of life…..prices for cruising goes up; gas goes up; hotels go up; resorts go up; national parks are jammed……..

You pay what you think is worth to you. too pricy? Don’t purchase. Kind of what ‘free enterprise’ is about: supply and demand…….and the price it takes for some company to provide the resources and still make a profit. 

And along with Ken, we book early and keep an eye on pricing, and so does our professional TA (not some online booking agent) and when the price drops, great we just paid less than what we thought it was worth originally. But my experience is the prices increase, unless it is last minute which isn’t my style. 

the problem with threads such as this where postings for ‘comparable’ SRs on other Lines is many times the ‘comparable’ isn’t. Prices are listed for blocked SRs, no additions that you’d use (I know, you don’t drink, use WiFi……and I won’t mention tipping); a ‘balcony’ that is an inside balcony, whatever that is; offseason dates compared to high season; and so on. 

Den

Edited by Denny01
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, 4774Papa said:

Based on X's prices if we cruise next year, it will be with Royal C or Princess.

Also, we plan to book land tours, which don't seem to have gone up in price like cruises.

Looking at a two week land tour with Gate 1 of Israel and Jordan.   The tour and the added day tours total would run about $3000 per person including hotels, most meals and guided tours.

https://www.jpost.com/israel-news/tourism-ministry-cancels-summer-campaign-prices-are-too-high-already-672259

Since February 2021  we have booked 6 cruises to March 2023  - 1 with Celebrity, 2 with HAL, 1 with Marella, 1 with Princess and 1 with NCL. Only 1 was with credits from a cancelled cruise (Marella). 

I think was got a pretty decent price on them all 😄 

40 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

……..I think was got a pretty decent price on them all 😄 

That’s why we book them! “Book’em Danno ”…..I think I just aged myself with that one! 

Den

For those that have looked at AI's, I don't know if this is an option for you but we booked a house rental on the south side of Jamaica right on the beach.

Group of six, for ten days with cook/maid for $4,500. We have to provide food and beverages, but we felt that it was a very good price.

3 minutes ago, Mike981 said:

For those that have looked at AI's, I don't know if this is an option for you but we booked a house rental on the south side of Jamaica right on the beach.

Group of six, for ten days with cook/maid for $4,500. We have to provide food and beverages, but we felt that it was a very good price.

Sounds great……but my wife would say, “OK, we buy the food, soooooo who’s going to cook it? Who’s going to clean it all up? Who’s going to make the beds and clean up after you? Who’s going to….?”.

When I told her how much ‘fun’ it would be to get or rent an RV and go zipping around the US, she reminded me that her idea of a vacation isn’t taking the kitchen, the bathroom, the unmade beds and all that with us…..who would have thought! I guess that’s why we cruise!!!

den

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

Sounds great……but my wife would say, “OK, we buy the food, soooooo who’s going to cook it? Who’s going to clean it all up? Who’s going to make the beds and clean up after you? Who’s going to….?”.

When I told her how much ‘fun’ it would be to get or rent an RV and go zipping around the US, she reminded me that her idea of a vacation isn’t taking the kitchen, the bathroom, the unmade beds and all that with us…..who would have thought! I guess that’s why we cruise!!!

den

Den, just tell her it comes with a cook and a maid. My wife is the same and she is looking forward to this trip.