Finally back and trying to get caught up

Jim_Iain

Glad to see you back!  I had noticed your absence and hoped nothing was wrong…(other than everything…😁.)  I have been on Cruise Critic for the past 16 months only reading threads about everyday things…nothing regarding cruising as it was all speculation…and it was depressing the longer the shutdown continued.

But with Edge’s “inaugural” sailing this past Saturday I got brave enough to book an August cruise on her!  I’ve been rereading my journals because evidently I’d wiped my memory blank as to traveling, packing etc.  And now that I have a cruise booked myself, I’m happy to read other people’s cruising stories once again. ☀️

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

Glad to see you back!  I had noticed your absence and hoped nothing was wrong…(other than everything…😁.)  I have been on Cruise Critic for the past 16 months only reading threads about everyday things…nothing regarding cruising as it was all speculation…and it was depressing the longer the shutdown continued.

But with Edge’s “inaugural” sailing this past Saturday I got brave enough to book an August cruise on her!  I’ve been rereading my journals because evidently I’d wiped my memory blank as to traveling, packing etc.  And now that I have a cruise booked myself, I’m happy to read other people’s cruising stories once again. ☀️

I have to admit reading the initial posts on Facebook gave me the bug to get back on CC.    I'm glad I did.     I'm enjoying the live posts.

Welcome back JL! I got to thinking about you the other day and went to your CC profile and got very sad when I discovered you hadn't posted in soooooo long. It is great to see you back on the boards and know that you and Lain are healthy. I'm looking forward to your first live blog. 

• Like 1

On 7/1/2021 at 1:38 PM, Luckynana said:

Welcome back, Jim_lain!  I'll be on the Silhouette, but not until February, '22.  

I'm really getting the addiction to cruising back quickly.   

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Buckwheel said:

Welcome back JL! I got to thinking about you the other day and went to your CC profile and got very sad when I discovered you hadn't posted in soooooo long. It is great to see you back on the boards and know that you and Lain are healthy. I'm looking forward to your first live blog. 

I've already been working on Air for our April 22 flights.      All I can say is a big Ouch..... with all the non-refundable fares gone.    Maybe they will be back.   Mileage points to the rescue.   The lowest Business class LHR - SFO was $11,000 per person

24 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I've already been working on Air for our April 22 flights.      All I can say is a big Ouch..... with all the non-refundable fares gone.    Maybe they will be back.   Mileage points to the rescue.   The lowest Business class LHR - SFO was $11,000 per person

Holy smokes $11K is high!! We booked our one way business class fare from MCO - HND and thought $4,800 was high. We only have enough points to cover one of our fares so figure at least that’s half. 

On 7/1/2021 at 10:35 AM, Jim_Iain said:

If you do the Greek cruise reach out to me.   We had a fantastic private tour guide in Mykonos.   He is a professional soccer player and lived there his whole life.   Great day.

We are going to Mykonos at the end of the month on the Apex. We are interested in a private guide. 

thanks

10 hours ago, jellens said:

We are going to Mykonos at the end of the month on the Apex. We are interested in a private guide. 

thanks

We use a Tour Company  that ends with Locals almost exclusively.     The guide in Mykonos was Ervin Lama    One of our best guides.

Edited by Jim_Iain

So happy to see you back here Jim! Looking forward to your new adventures. We didn't get to do our family cruise to Alaska last August to celebrate my retirement but we had a great NON Voyage party anyway! (outside of course and luckily the pool is big enough to socially distance in)

Angela Z.

2 hours ago, eyecantwait said:

So happy to see you back here Jim! Looking forward to your new adventures. We didn't get to do our family cruise to Alaska last August to celebrate my retirement but we had a great NON Voyage party anyway! (outside of course and luckily the pool is big enough to socially distance in)

Angela Z.

Too bad you missed you long planned retirement cruise.   So many sad stories of missed birthdays, anniversaries and retirements.    At least you are safe and healthy and plenty to time in retirement to make your dreams come true.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Didn't recommend it to you, but also a fan.

And... welcome back, glad you've recovered from the March 14th "trauma" 😉

Always look forward to more recommendations.     I listen to about 3-4 hours of e-books daily while on my walks.

I've listened to all the series by

Patricia Cornwell

Kathy Reichs

Jeffery Deaver

Someone recommend Simon Beckett and Tess Gerritsen but haven't picked his up yet.

9 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Tess Gerritsen

Is excellent.

What about the Memory Man series (David Baldacci)?

Harry Bosch and the Lincoln Lawyer by Michael Connelly?

Will Trent series by Karin Slaughter ?

In Death series by JD Robb/[Nora Roberts] ? 

• Like 1

Welcome back, Jim!  I've been much less active on CC since my 2020 cruise got cancelled, just too depressing, so I understand.  

Maybe sometime I'll meet you at Starbucks and we can talk about books.  I just started a cozy mystery series about a state trooper in Alaska.  Learned a lot about the Iditarod while at it. 

• Like 1

We too have been away.  I'm not sure we're going to cruise anytime soon.  Too many unknowns at this point and it's not clear that it would be an enjoyable trip.  We do miss it and hope to get back to cruising sooner rather than later.