Disturbing New Things on Two Carnival Ships Now Cruising

Djptcp

31 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I think what the OP was trying to say is that it is not up to us as posters to decide what is "beating something to death".  If the mods think something doesn't belong, they will remove it. Leave it to them rather than complaining about posts. This is actually spelled out in the community guidelines somewhere, so it's not coming out of nowhere...

I have found it to be sound advice over the years.  If a thread is going in a direction that bugs me, I simply quit reading it. Or if I feel it violates the CC guidelines I report it and let the moderators decide. No fuss needed.

Yup, it’s just that easy 🙂

11 hours ago, RuthC said:

I was thinking of 'emergency' as my car breaking down when I was away from home. That has happened to me twice (in all the years I have been driving), but having a phone that worked came in handy. 
That's a call to AAA, not 911. 

DW charges and takes the phone when she drives in case of an emergency. The one she had was when she called 911 (and then me) to say she hit a deer. (Actually the deer, which did not look before crossing the street, hit her taking out the driver's side side view mirror.)

9 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I think what the OP was trying to say is that it is not up to us as posters to decide what is "beating something to death".  If the mods think something doesn't belong, they will remove it. Leave it to them rather than complaining about posts. This is actually spelled out in the community guidelines somewhere, so it's not coming out of nowhere...

I have found it to be sound advice over the years.  If a thread is going in a direction that bugs me, I simply quit reading it. Or if I feel it violates the CC guidelines I report it and let the moderators decide. No fuss needed.

The mods also have been known to close threads to further comment when it they feel the subject has been beaten to death.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

The mods also have been known to close threads to further comment when it they feel the subject has been beaten to death.

I have not noticed that.  I’ve found they’ve closed it when it becomes too heated, then those comments get removed and the thread locked.  Also they may lock it when what is being posted is against the “rules”.

2 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I have not noticed that.  I’ve found they’ve closed it when it becomes too heated, then those comments get removed and the thread locked.  Also they may lock it when what is being posted is against the “rules”.

Yep, that's the way it usually goes; some threads go on and on and on, but as long as they are within the guidelines, they stay active.

11 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I’ve found they’ve closed it when it becomes too heated, then those comments get removed and the thread locked.  Also they may lock it when what is being posted is against the “rules”.

On one Forum in which I participate, a major "know-it-all" poster dominated a particular thread.  It was an interesting and informative thread for many of us.  But, this poster became quite abusive in his replies to others because. I guess, "he knew better and more than others do".  The moderators of the Forum made a valiant attempt to "reign" him in.  Didn't work.  They have permanently locked that thread.  

On 7/6/2021 at 6:02 PM, rkacruiser said:

OK.  I buy a smart phone.  Instruction book included?  If not--and probably isn't--what do I now do if I have a question/issue?  I have no teenage relatives to help me.  My closest relatives that might be able to help me live in Maryland and Alaska.  

So, what would you suggest?  

Just be aware that they need to be replaced about every 3 years.

4 minutes ago, Boatdrill said:

👎👎 👎    Thanks for providing me with another reason as to why I will stick with my perfectly working flip phone until I must make a change. 

• Like 2

We’ve had good luck with a corporate Rogers plan that can include a flat fee for Europe, Caribbean etc and included North American!  When we got caught In an airline strike while disembarking in Civitavecchia, it was so worth it.  So now we don’t even worry about it.  We upgrade to a new iPhone free every two years.  

We used to have a SIM card with an Estonian number, what a pain. Some things are worth paying for.  

41 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

On one Forum in which I participate, a major "know-it-all" poster dominated a particular thread.  It was an interesting and informative thread for many of us.  But, this poster became quite abusive in his replies to others because. I guess, "he knew better and more than others do".  The moderators of the Forum made a valiant attempt to "reign" him in.  Didn't work.  They have permanently locked that thread.  

I feel there USED a to be a lot of that going on here.  So much so I got so tired of it that I didn’t post for well over a year.  The moderator(s) now is excellent and I find a much better community now.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Boatdrill said:

I still use my iPhone 7 (2016).  If i keep up with the updates it could go for 3 or 4 years more.  It replaced a first model iPhone 4 (2010) which we still use for music and other WiFi activity. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Boatdrill said:

I find cellphones to be a grudge buy.  I can’t do without mine now but I certainly don’t have to have the latest and newest.  I’m sure I’ve had mine easily for 5 to 6 years.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

We’ve had good luck with a corporate Rogers plan that can include a flat fee for Europe, Caribbean etc and included North American!  When we got caught In an airline strike while disembarking in Civitavecchia, it was so worth it.  So now we don’t even worry about it.  We upgrade to a new iPhone free every two years.  

We used to have a SIM card with an Estonian number, what a pain. Some things are worth paying for.  

But the phone isn’t free.  It’s built into your plan/contract.  Try telling them you don’t want a contract anymore and see if you can still get your phone for free 😛.

Edited by Florida_gal_50

1 minute ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

But the phone isn’t free.  It’s built into your plan/contract.

True,  but there are no additional charges and we’ve still found it very worthwhile.   We take the old one and use it pay as you go.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

But the phone isn’t free.

I have never paid more than $150 for a phone.  I always buy refurb,  prior year's model during the September roll out period when the bargains are great.  I always buy an unlocked phone so I can shop carriers or get a SIM card from anywhere.  There are many outlets for inexpensive phones.  I was looking the other day and saw the iPhone 7 for as low as $50.  If you leave the Apple-uverse you can get even cheaper phones, some less than $40.

The greatest feature I use is marking on maps where the ship is.  I have a terrible sense of direction and if I stray the phone will lead me back to the cruise port. It has certainly increased my confidence to wander and that is priceless

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 2

I typically get DH’s hand me down when he upgrades.  I’m not a cellphone fan.  Although I just upgraded to a Samsung A32 for a better camera for the upcoming Alaska cruise. DH decided to upgrade as well after seeing some of the pictures.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

I typically get DH’s hand me down when he upgrades.  I’m not a cellphone fan.  Although I just upgraded to a Samsung A32 for a better camera for the upcoming Alaska cruise. DH decided to upgrade as well after seeing some of the pictures.  

is it better than the a31?

Understand, my observation is that there are not near as many posters on the board as 15 months ago.  I suspect 15-20 of us do 80-90% of the posting.  Be interesting to see if the marginal cruiser and CC participants return to either or both.

• Like 4