Shopping?

MikeKool

As of today--yes. But that could change...

St Maarten currently requires you get a COVID test to get off the ship.

Be warned--you may find very few shops open. That was the report from passengers who just disembarked the Edge.

Best is to call Celebrity or  check the official website for the island 

policies change every day.   

I could tell you anything and that doesn’t mean that is it true or will allow you to 

the safest way is don’t plan on it.  If you can it is a bonus

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched

50 minutes ago, KKB said:

As of today--yes. But that could change...

St Maarten currently requires you get a COVID test to get off the ship.

Be warned--you may find very few shops open. That was the report from passengers who just disembarked the Edge.

Wasn't the couple just kicked of the Edge in Sint Maarten because they chose to ignore the bubble excursion and head off on their own? 

Edited by Fouremco

1 hour ago, MikeKool said:

I'm on the Edge in August. Will I be able to get off the ship on my own in St Thomas and St Maarten?

As long as you are vaccinated wife bought some nice jewelry in st Thomas 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Wasn't the couple just kicked of the Edge in Sint Maarten because they chose to ignore the bubble excursion and head off on their own? 

Yes.   But they were unvaccinated and and many feel they took off from were restricted to a bubble excursion.   No one has confirmed  if that was the case or if they got off the ship other ways.

Edited by Jim_Iain

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

Yes.   But they were unvaccinated and and many feel they took off from were restricted to a bubble excursion.   No one has confirmed  if that was the case or if they got off the ship other ways.

Whether they walked away from a bubble excursion or snuck off the ship somehow (very unlikely), the fact remains that they weren't allowed to be wander the streets.

15 hours ago, Fouremco said:

From a report from another passenger who was on their excursion, they left their ship sponsored. excursion.

This also makes sense as there is NO way Celebrity would allow them off the ship otherwise. 

I am certain an alert pops up on their account when they go off the ship to alert staff that they are unvaxxed. I am a librarian & have a very simple system that allows me to make notes on students accounts that pop up when I pull their name up. 

• Like 1

Just now, Covepointcruiser said:

Why were unvaccinated adults allowed on the ship?    That is just trouble waiting to happen.   There is no reason for someone over the age of 12 to be unvaccinated in the U.S., much less be on a cruise.

Following CDC recommendations they are keeping unvaxxed (including children) at 5%.

This week on Edge there are ZERO unvaxxed adults. 

Wondering if this St. Maarten episode turned off unvaxxed passengers. Hope so.

5 minutes ago, cantstopingcruising said:

I don't understand. Was the tour for unvaxxed pax only?

Did they mix unvaxxed and vaxxed on the tour?

It's a developing story, ThePointsGuy contributor Gene Sloan tweeted the whole thing was a hoax as Celebrity responded that no one broke their rules.  There's still speculation if they broke the port rules.

16 minutes ago, KKB said:

Following CDC recommendations they are keeping unvaxxed (including children) at 5%.

This week on Edge there are ZERO unvaxxed adults. 

Wondering if this St. Maarten episode turned off unvaxxed passengers. Hope so.

Now that is good.

St Martin episode and the $178 test cost per uv child or uv adult added to on board account and the different protocols.... all.

2 hours ago, cantstopingcruising said:

I don't understand. Was the tour for unvaxxed pax only?

Did they mix unvaxxed and vaxxed on the tour?

If you were vaccinated you could do any tour or on your own, if unvaccinated you had to do celebrity tour , so yes they were mixed,

• Like 1

https://www.celebritycruises.com/content/dam/celebrity/pdf/celebrity-healthy-at-sea-protocols.pdf

Unvaccinated guests are required to book a Celebrity curated tour, and depending on local government requirements, unvaccinated guests may be further restricted from going ashore. Southern Caribbean On your own tours are permitted in Aruba, Curacao Celebrity curated tours are required in Barbados, St. Kitts & Nevis, Tortola and St. Lucia Eastern Caribbean On your own tours are permitted in St. Croix, St. Maarten*, St. Thomas and Nassau Celebrity curated tours are required in Tortola *If visiting St. Maarten, the St. Maarten government requires all guests age 2 and older, be tested before disembarking and visiting St. Maarten. Test will be provided onboard.Western Caribbean On your own tours are permitted in Nassau Celebrity curated tours are required in Costa Maya, Cozumel and Roatan We will continually monitor and evaluate and will update guests should any changes to local requirements occur.

Edited by gerelmx

58 minutes ago, cantstopingcruising said:

As a fully vaccinated passenger, I would not be happy to be on a tour with non-vaxxers.

I am sure most feel the same way

There were not many , our St Maarten tour was terrible, we were supposed to take bus to orient beach , bus had no a/c so half of us got off , celebrity returned our money with a apology. 

16 minutes ago, George C said:

Not sure if we mentioned it but all vaccinated passengers had a blue ribbon around our wrist to prove we were vaccinated. 

Also stated/reported that the Edge that just departed was 100% adult vaccinated, thus no bands.  

Edited by PTC DAWG

4 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Why were unvaccinated adults allowed on the ship?    That is just trouble waiting to happen.   There is no reason for someone over the age of 12 to be unvaccinated in the U.S., much less be on a cruise.

"Why were unvaccinated adults allowed on the ship?"  You also seem to be ignorant of the difficulties for a business in Florida to demand proof of vaccination and to refuse service to the unvaccinated.  This has been discussed at length on this forum.  

"There is no reason for someone over the age of 12 to be unvaccinated in the U.S."   I am trying to be polite but your post shows incredible ignorance.  There are people who for medical reasons cannot get the vaccine. 

In addition, the vaccine is NOT FDA approved for general use, but only for experimental emergency use.  Some people might wish to wait until the vaccines have gone through the normal FDA protocols and approval process before getting vaccinated.  We have no idea what the long term effects of these vaccines are.  It is possible that the short-term benefits outweigh the long-term risks, but we do NOT know what those long-term effects are.  This is a cost-benefit analysis that we all must make for ourselves.

I would not cruise if not vaccinated, but that is a completely different subject.  

1 hour ago, cantstopingcruising said:

As a fully vaccinated passenger, I would not be happy to be on a tour with non-vaxxers.

I am sure most feel the same way

Well no, that's why I'm vaccinated, to protect myself against those that aren't. What they do is their business, although I don't understand their thinking. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Also stated/reported that the Edge that just departed was 100% adult vaccinated, thus no bands.  

I wish all cruises required 100 percent. Was going to sail out of St Maarten because they can enforce that in Florida they can’t. Wish airlines were the same had to sip my Bloody Mary slowly so my mask could stay off for a while.