NCL suing Florida over vaccine law.

Interesting quote from the article.

"Norwegian Chief Executive Frank Del Rio, in his declaration filed in court, said the company won’t be able to sail in Florida as planned if it must comply with the proof-of-vaccine ban."

emphasis mine

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 2

So if you booked Norwegian thinking that you were going to get to cruise in August you may be sorely disappointed.

I'm curious to see if the same legal eagles who predicted that Florida had no case and the CDC would easily prevail in that lawsuit will now tell us how strong NCL's case is and Florida's law is now on death row.

• Like 12

20 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

So if you booked Norwegian thinking that you were going to get to cruise in August you may be sorely disappointed.

I'm curious to see if the same legal eagles who predicted that Florida had no case and the CDC would easily prevail in that lawsuit will now tell us how strong NCL's case is and Florida's law is now on death row.

I know right, that is exactly what I was thinking. It seems they are hiding these days lol.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

Well it's preventing a private company from operating its business how it wishes. 

Maybe, they should hire RCL for advice and protect their business.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

So does just about every law.

Actually since they operate mostly outside of the states very few laws actually apply to them. And I believe they're mostly regulated at the federal level. 

I don't have enough knowledge to say one way or another, but it'll be interesting to follow - how cruise ships don't have to follow all these laws but this one somehow they do. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

Actually since they operate mostly outside of the states very few laws actually apply to them. And I believe they're mostly regulated at the federal level. 

I don't have enough knowledge to say one way or another, but it'll be interesting to follow - how cruise ships don't have to follow all these laws but this one somehow they do. 

It definitely will be interesting to follow and I'm surprised the law took this long to get a challenge.

But from reading their arguments, they seem pretty weak, especially since they're claiming they can't do what's already being done

Edited by smokeybandit
  • Like 1

CLIA needs to step up and project a unified response. Rogue responses from FDR will just make them get more pushback from DeSantis. All the lines need to be unified if they have sailings from Florida. NCL just seems more desperate than the other lines in filing a lawsuit against Florida.

Edited by coaster
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

The vaccine passport ban is so bad that NCL is the only cruise line that doesn't think it can sail out of Florida as  a result?

Carnival is merrily sailing out of florida. Having a good time maskless onboard.

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 6

Saw a post about princess restarting, doing 100% vaccinated..must be a miracle as they say only vaccinated for now. Are they skipping florida or just smarter than ncl. 

The fact other cruiselines are already going out of florida weakens ncl argument they cant do it how they want.  That sounds childish. Just restart. Quit with excuses. 

• Like 9

40 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

since they're claiming they can't do what's already being done

This is their Achilles heel in my opinion.  Florida just points to the other lines that are sailing and rests its case.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Saw a post about princess restarting, doing 100% vaccinated..must be a miracle as they say only vaccinated for now. Are they skipping florida or just smarter than ncl. 

The fact other cruiselines are already going out of florida weakens ncl argument they cant do it how they want.  That sounds childish. Just restart. Quit with excuses. 

Not sure it’s “excuses”.  They want, understandably to me, to sail with only vaccinated passengers, and prefer to challenge the law over facing potential penalties, which they would just end up litigating.  Makes sense to me to just file the lawsuit and litigate first — maybe they will win and it ends up costing less in the long run.  Maybe not, but then they don’t have massive fines to deal with either.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Tree_skier said:

This is their Achilles heel in my opinion.  Florida just points to the other lines that are sailing and rests its case.

But aren’t some of those other lines requiring vaccines?  Which if that is the case, doesn’t exactly strengthen the case for Florida, if they aren’t enforcing the law.  And if they do enforce the law, then seems like NCL is making the smarter choice with the law suit.  

I am sure glad I dont have ncl stock, wasting money like this.

If they were going to sue seriously, they should have months ago ... not when their competition is cruising already out of florida. Ncl is trying to close the barn door after the horse left the barn. Too late to sue over this. Law suits take a long time. Just stupid timing. 

Well I wouldnt be buying ncl stock. Not smart mgmt.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, 3kidsncats said:

But aren’t some of those other lines requiring vaccines?  Which if that is the case, doesn’t exactly strengthen the case for Florida, if they aren’t enforcing the law.  And if they do enforce the law, then seems like NCL is making the smarter choice with the law suit.  

Other lines have found ways to work around the law.  That's not the same as Florida not enforcing the law.  IMHO this is a bad decision by NCL.  When they lose this lawsuit, which is quite possible, they can't exactly just move forward with plan B after litigating that there is no plan B for them. They'll have to cancel another big round of cruises and wait for lessening restrictions to justify their restart.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1