NCL suing Florida over vaccine law.

Just now, time4u2go said:

Exactly. That's another reason I hope NCL prevails. Let the free market work it out. 

Agree (to a point), but this was part of a bigger play that has been rehashed multiple times here between FL and the CDC.  NCL is late to the party.  The whole notion of a "passport' probably wouldn't pass Constitutional muster, let alone public objection and pure logistics.  That's why it was never pushed Federally.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I am sure glad I dont have ncl stock, wasting money like this.

If they were going to sue seriously, they should have months ago ... not when their competition is cruising already out of florida. Ncl is trying to close the barn door after the horse left the barn. Too late to sue over this. Law suits take a long time. Just stupid timing. 

Well I wouldnt be buying ncl stock. Not smart mgmt.

Barron's has moved RCL and CCL to a hold.. They give NCL a moderate buy with a 2021 year end move up 20.4%.. This would be a decent time to buy NCL and then sell at &40. Current price is $26. I bought last year at $14 and am happily waiting for the high $30s.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, 3kidsncats said:

Yes, what is actually happening is that Florida is not enforcing their law.  Celebrity is requiring all passengers be vaccinated, correct? What magic loophole are they using to negate the law?

This is one I still do not understand. I do believe that you are right that the state will selectively enforce the law. (it's a crappy law anyway... In my opinion)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

Just more red tape thrown into the already tangled web of lawsuits.  At this point I would sail from just about any port that wasn't in Florida.  Good for NCL for putting up a fight. 

Well it's ugly and RCL has made some very poor decisions in the process, but it is a process. A process that I think NCL sat out waiting to see the results from others who dared to dare. I don't think NCL wanted to follow the protocals from the CDC so they're setting their sites on the Florida law.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Mikew0805 said:

That is not correct. You might be mis-interpreting "service from the business." The service from this particular business is the cruise, and that is not being infringed. Nothing in the law states that they cannot make it more expensive or more of a hassle, or that every aspect of that business be available to them. That is the law... black and white.

https://www.flgov.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/EO-21-81.pdf

But if an unvaccinated passenger is not allowed to go to the Solarium pool, or Schooners bar, etc.,  even though they have paid the published fare the same as vaccinated passengers, then their services are being infringed on — I would argue that being restricted from enjoying areas of the ship that are normally and otherwise available to all adult passengers is absolutely an infringement. The law is only as black and white as the person arguing the facts and how the law can be interpreted based on the facts being argued.  Many statutes have a lot of room for interpretation.  That’s why we have lawyers.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Well I wouldnt be buying ncl stock. Not smart mgmt.

1 hour ago, Tree_skier said:

Down 4 1/3 % today and has been steadily declining for the last month.

And this was I was about to throw out there for  consideration. Thanks @taglovestocruise for beating me to it. 

13 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

They give NCL a moderate buy with a 2021 year end move up 20.4%.. This would be a decent time to buy NCL and then sell at &40. Current price is $26. I bought last year at $14 and am happily waiting for the high $30s.

18 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

Barron's has moved RCL and CCL to a hold.. They give NCL a moderate buy with a 2021 year end move up 20.4%.. This would be a decent time to buy NCL and then sell at &40. Current price is $26. I bought last year at $14 and am happily waiting for the high $30s.

There are any number of analysts following. One last week set a target on rcl of $110, and ccl $27. 

I only dipped in my toe 100 shares last Thursday at 77.5. Rcl is actually holding up the best. Ccl dipped even lower today whereas I was still green on my 100 shares. I'd sold the 200 I had at 92, so needed to buy 100 back for stock credit. No biggie just enough for cruise stock credit. 

Tbh I'm more about dividends right now, flight to safety. ..but rcl is trading the strongest. I watched trading all day and had it up on my screen watching. The bottom is coming out of ccl too, very weak. 

38 minutes ago, jrapps said:

You seem to have a lot strong opinions here, but don't seem willing to allow others to have contrary opinions. NCL believes it is doing the best for their business. If they were to prevail (and I'm not saying they will) shareholders might celebrate the fact that they can sail at higher occupancies. With a fully vaccinated cruise they could be sailing at 100% capacity while Royal is still at 30% to 50%

There is no requirement for vaccines out of Texas yet all the cruise lines are doing it anyway. They could have chosen to go the test cruise route just like in Florida but they didn't. And at the time that Royal, NCL, and all the other cruise lines set their initial vaccine requirements and protocols the CSO was still very much in effect everywhere so I don't think the CDCs rules inside vs outside FL played a factor here

Again you seem to think that your opinion is the only one that has merit. Let's all play nice in the sandbox together before the thread gets shut down.

I've counted 17 Threads closed in last 4wks, all were Vaccines and Politics.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

The vaccine passport ban is so bad that NCL is the only cruise line that doesn't think it can sail out of Florida as  a result?

agree.

They should do what RCI and Celebrity are doing. Tell us you are vaccinated and you will get to do more and be safe. Otherwise get insurance, take tests, let places on ship to go to.  hmmm NCL would rather have empty ships.  Too bad for them.  Glad I switched from NCL to RCI for my trip to Alaska.

I guess CCL which is even more liberal with protocols would make the NCL CEO sick to his stomach

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, time4u2go said:

Those wishing to cruise on a completely vaccinated ship out of Florida would be able to.

So they decided to experiment and/or reinvent the wheel to restart? Celebrity seems to be doing just fine out of Fl.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jrapps said:

You seem to have a lot strong opinions here, but don't seem willing to allow others to have contrary opinions. NCL believes it is doing the best for their business. If they were to prevail (and I'm not saying they will) shareholders might celebrate the fact that they can sail at higher occupancies. With a fully vaccinated cruise they could be sailing at 100% capacity while Royal is still at 30% to 50%

There is no requirement for vaccines out of Texas yet all the cruise lines are doing it anyway. They could have chosen to go the test cruise route just like in Florida but they didn't. And at the time that Royal, NCL, and all the other cruise lines set their initial vaccine requirements and protocols the CSO was still very much in effect everywhere so I don't think the CDCs rules inside vs outside FL played a factor here

Again you seem to think that your opinion is the only one that has merit. Let's all play nice in the sandbox together before the thread gets shut down.

I have no problem with anyone stating an opinion, contrary or otherwise. I’m just pointing out that my opinions are based on what is actually happening in the real world not Chrystal ball gazing about I think is happen behind closed doors. 

They are have and will be doing test cruises in Washington and you have no idea whether they will or won’t in Texas. The absence of their announcement is not an indication that they will not happen. They announce the test cruises when they are approved by the CDC. 

I don’t think my opinion is the only one that has merit. Where stating facts when I have them and projecting my opinion based on my those facts when I choose to. I don’t how much nicer I can be with giving those with contrary opinions hug while humming a few bars of kum by ya.

If it’s shut down it won’t be because of anything I have posted. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Knowing how long it takes for a lawsuit to be heard in court is my objection. Should have been filed long ago. It wouldnt change florida law short term. Cruises will continue out of florida.

Havent heard that horizon was fined for asking for vaccine cards have you? Surely if florida was going to fine then, or celebrity we would have heard. Your logic seems to just be anti florida tbh. Nothing to do with what's actually going on. Cruises are sailing. Celebrity is sailing out of florida. Then horizon and more will follow and not a peep about fines. 

It's clear you dont like florida butmthats not enough. 

Other lines are sailing out of Florida, but not 100% vaccinated.

3 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

you have no idea whether they will or won’t in Texas

Your opinions are no more based on facts than anyone else. Just because you want to ignore it doesn't change the fact that Royal is requiring vaccines outside of FL. Case in point:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/the-healthy-sail-center/getting-ready-to-cruise?dPort=galveston

Claiming that your opinions are based in the "real world" and other' people "have no idea" is not accurate.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, time4u2go said:

Exactly. That's another reason I hope NCL prevails. Let the free market work it out. 

The free market can’t because the federal government has endeavored in intrude into the free market. 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, bucfan2 said:

So they decided to experiment and/or reinvent the wheel to restart? Celebrity seems to be doing just fine out of Fl.  

Why is a company trying to run their business as they see fit an experiment and/or reinvent the wheel? Everyone here gets so judgmental. Whether their lawsuit has merit or not is irrelevant (and up to courts to decide) but so many people jump straight to condemn (or exalt) for their choice.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

They are have and will be doing test cruises in Washington and you have no idea whether they will or won’t in Texas. The absence of their announcement is not an indication that they will not happen. They announce the test cruises when they are approved by the CDC. 

I don’t think my opinion is the only one that has merit. Where stating facts when I have them and projecting my opinion based on my those facts when I choose to. 

“The absence of their announcement is not an indication that they will not happen”. Soooo, you have an opinion on something that is behind closed doors, and not fact based as far as what has been publicly announced and that is ok according to you.  My opinion that just because fines have not been levied doesn’t mean they could be is not really any different— so why is your opinion more valid than mine?  You also appear to use an “I think” approach in your comments — I guess you’re ok with it as long as you are the one doing it?  And you are using “my those facts”. Not sure what those are.  You are projecting your opinion based on what you believe to be fact?  Oh good, that’s what I do too, so I guess my opinion is just as valid for me to have, as yours is for you.

2 hours ago, time4u2go said:

Agreed, get the CDC out of the free market and let companies decide how they want to cater to their customers.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

Exactly right. It a good buy because it value is unnaturally suppressed. I’m sure it be a bit means what you think it does.