The library makes a return on Rotterdam.

westerdam

I was looking at the online deck plans today of the new Rotterdam and noticed that the Microsoft studio has been replaced with a library.  Nice to see its return! The other 2 of this class of ships still seemingly have it although the Nieuw Statendam has a blank space on the plans where the Microsoft studio is/was.  

• Like 5

Love the library, never understood the Microsoft thing.  The library is 24/7 and the Microsoft room is only available to guest for limited periods.  IMHO, that is a much better use of space.

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1

A good library and a nice wide full circular promenade deck with teak chairs....to me two of the most wonderful aspects of Holland America for many years. 

Of course neither one provided any revenue that the bean counters could track so must mean they are not important and should be replaced with narrow promenade decks to enable more shops inside and turn the library space into a selling opportunity.   Maybe someday they will be able to convert the entire ship to a giant shopping mall.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, dockman said:

A good library and a nice wide full circular promenade deck with teak chairs....to me two of the most wonderful aspects of Holland America for many years. 

Of course neither one provided any revenue that the bean counters could track so must mean they are not important and should be replaced with narrow promenade decks to enable more shops inside and turn the library space into a selling opportunity.   Maybe someday they will be able to convert the entire ship to a giant shopping mall.

Haha. I hear ya. 

As a retired library administrator, I love to hear that people missed the HAL libraries and glad there is one on the new Rotterdam. How much more relaxing it is to sit in a comfy chair or lounger with a good book than sit in front of a computer. Libraries have embraced technology wholeheartedly for decades and I supported it because it enhanced our library services and it provided a level playing field for those who cannot afford their own computers or do not have the funds to provide Internet access at their homes. Being retired, I prefer to sit in a comfy chair and read an actual book or on my Kindle (at least until my WiFi goes out sometimes).

• Like 6

The return of a real HAL library to the Rotterdam is great!!! It was always a sure bet that my late wife could be found at anytime curled up on one of those big loungers with a book by the windows in the Veendam or Maasdam libraries. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Destiny0315 said:

The return of a real HAL library to the Rotterdam is great!!! It was always a sure bet that my late wife could be found at anytime curled up on one of those big loungers with a book by the windows in the Veendam or Maasdam libraries. 

and then there was the prinsendam library that was about the most inviting spot imaginable ..oh how i miss them...

.the royal princess is a massive ship...one would think plenty of room for a nice comfortable library...it is truly pitiful cramed into a little corner the size of a walk in closet as an afterthought and i suspect i have donated more books to my local library than the entire inventory of the princess library...maybe the bean counters could charge an admission to visit the libraries and then they would return....

4 hours ago, Djptcp said:

I prefer to sit in a comfy chair and read an actual book or on my Kindle

Not only that but I remember passing an afternoon with fellow passengers doing a jigsaw.   It is not something I do at home but I found it a rewarding way to socially interact. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, logan25 said:

But will the shelves be stocked?  Or is it simply a place conducive to reading?

that’s a good question.  The same question crossed my mind.

• Like 1