Birthday dinner question

Mrsfrz

My cousin will be celebrating his birthday the day of embarkation. We are trying to decide if we should stay in the MDR or go to the Pinnacle Grill to celebrate. We do have reservations later in the cruise for the Pinnacle and will probably go to Rudi's. I was curious which restaurant would be more fun for him. It's his first cruise. Also, any thoughts on the gala nights worth going to? We have so many specialty restaurants planned that we may miss the gala nights. Thanks for any suggestions. 

• Like 1

What ship? Which cruise? How long is the cruise? Is your cousin an adult or child? 

Service in the MDR on embarkation day may sometimes suffer a bit on the first night as guests and new crew are getting used to everything.

~Nancy

The birthday celebration provided by HAL consists of a piece of cake (or other desert of some sort) with one candle and some of the crew coming to the table to sing a song (it's in another language and is not the traditional birthday song that we all know). To my knowledge, that is the extent of it. If you're hoping for something more festive, you can make your own party elsewhere on the ship, for example, in your cabin or on one of the many sitting areas around the ship. You can make it fun!

• Like 2

Agree with @BobbiSox. Specialty restaurant will give a complimentary dessert but there will be no wait staff singing. 

Fine dining or Main Dining? First cruise either way would be special. Or you can celebrate his birthday twice at either venue.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Agree with @BobbiSox. Specialty restaurant will give a complimentary dessert but there will be no wait staff singing. 

Fine dining or Main Dining? First cruise either way would be special. Or you can celebrate his birthday twice at either venue.

Oh thank goodness. I never informed them of my ibirthday, because I didn't want to be the center of attention during that spectacle, lol. The candle in the dessert was just fine with me. 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Mrsfrz said:

My cousin will be celebrating his birthday the day of embarkation. We are trying to decide if we should stay in the MDR or go to the Pinnacle Grill to celebrate.

Be certain that the information about the birthday is in HAL's records.  Confirm this information with the Maitre d' or an Assistant during embarkation.  Go to the MDR for the celebration.  A specialty restaurant birthday celebration will be subdued in my experience.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, make sure that the dining room staff knows what you are hoping for in advance.  It could be a day or two after you board.  I have enjoyed a delicious carrot cake, and DH's sugar free cakes have been scrumptious.  One tablemate had a rum cake floating in rum.

It can make the whole table happy.  Our servers were happy to take the leftovers to enjoy later. 

Barbara

Edited by bcummin
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, oakridger said:

What ship? Which cruise? How long is the cruise? Is your cousin an adult or child? 

Service in the MDR on embarkation day may sometimes suffer a bit on the first night as guests and new crew are getting used to everything.

~Nancy

He is an adult in his 60s. We're on the Nieuw Amsterdam to Alaska on the August 21 sailing, 7 days. 

I've done birthday dinners first night in both, and everything from S-class to the signature class ships. I think the biggest consideration for me would be if I had assigned or unassigned dining. The first night can be long, long lines for the unassigned dining room. An idea for starting the birthday dinner on a lively note would be cocktails with appetizers before dinner, with an open invitation to your roll call to stop by and say hello. Then have a nice quiet dinner afterwards.

Happy birthday🎂

43 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Be certain that the information about the birthday is in HAL's records.  Confirm this information with the Maitre d' or an Assistant during embarkation.  Go to the MDR for the celebration.  A specialty restaurant birthday celebration will be subdued in my experience.  

Exactly what I was thinking, I had lunch there on my last cruise and everybody there was barely speaking in more than a murmur....at least pipe in some music I wanted to say.  I know the suite guests have breakfast in there and it was a similar atmosphere while walking by each morning.  To each his/her own I suppose, but the MDR rocks in my book.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, atexsix said:

It's also atmosphere, the Pinnacle can be painfully quiet.  If you want to get even a little bit lively I'd go MDR. 

Exactly - we went to the PG as DH did not want the song or a lot of fuss.  Never told them it was his birthday. The cake was bit enough for 10 people.  OMG.

• Like 1

Our group has always had birthday cakes for the table.  We set it up a few days ahead of time with the head waiter.  Sugar free cake for the birthday boy who needs that, chocolate for the choco-holics, etc.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Lady Chew said:

Our group has always had birthday cakes for the table.  We set it up a few days ahead of time with the head waiter.  Sugar free cake for the birthday boy who needs that, chocolate for the choco-holics, etc.

My husband got a cake and it was delicious!

20191025_205133.jpg

• Like 2

You might also consider one of the packages in the gifts and indulgences sections of the HAL website for your cabin.  They have several that might apply including one specific for birthdays that consists of flowers and balloons. 

On 7/16/2021 at 10:25 AM, Woofbite said:

You might also consider one of the packages in the gifts and indulgences sections of the HAL website for your cabin.  They have several that might apply including one specific for birthdays that consists of flowers and balloons. 

I've already reserved the birthday package. It's not too fancy, but I know he will like it. It's his first cruise, so he will be excited with anything!