Passengers who have used Mixed Vaccination Protocols will not be considered to be Fully Vaccinated per RCI FAQs

In slightly good news, the latest update on the WHO website regarding AstraZeneca, confirms that all brand names of AstraZeneca are 'to be considered fully equivalent'

The most commonly used trade names are Astra Zeneca COVID-19 vaccine Vaxzevria and COVISHIELD. Consequently, these vaccines are considered fully equivalent, even if produced at different manufacturing sites or assigned different product names, and the interim recommendations here apply universally to all ChAdOx1-S vaccines.
https://apps.who.int/iris/rest/bitstreams/1359655/retrieve

• Like 1

On 8/3/2021 at 2:13 PM, DirtyDawg said:

I think you are right. The States has to figure out how to safely open the land borders with Canada and Mexico. But I'd say they are not delaying rather then trying to figuring it out, they are delaying to give them time to figure it out. Let's wait and see what they decide. 

The border with Mexico is wide open.  I have seen it with my own eyes.  Whatever justification the current administration gives to justify the differing treatments between the northern and southern border are just a joke and a lie.

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

The border with Mexico is wide open.  I have seen it with my own eyes.  Whatever justification the current administration gives to justify the differing treatments between the northern and southern border are just a joke and a lie.

Wide Open?

I knew both land borders were open for commercial traffic. I assumed the Mexican border was also closed to non essential traffic just like the Canadian border is.  

A couple of people I know will be ticked to hear that. They each spent a couple of grand talking one of the helicopter services to fly over to Buffalo (allowed) while their cars were carried over the land border commercially. That allowed them to drive down to their winter homes down south.

56 minutes ago, scottbee said:

In slightly good news, the latest update on the WHO website regarding AstraZeneca, confirms that all brand names of AstraZeneca are 'to be considered fully equivalent'

The most commonly used trade names are Astra Zeneca COVID-19 vaccine Vaxzevria and COVISHIELD. Consequently, these vaccines are considered fully equivalent, even if produced at different manufacturing sites or assigned different product names, and the interim recommendations here apply universally to all ChAdOx1-S vaccines.
https://apps.who.int/iris/rest/bitstreams/1359655/retrieve

I sure hope the CDC reads Page 4. There,  the study concludes that a dose of the AZ combined with a dose of an mRNA vaccine provides for a stronger immune response than using two AZ doses.   I sure hope that I read that correctly.  

There might be hope for us yet!    Thanks for posting that link, scottbee!

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I believe the Mexican-US border is officially closed to non-essential travel..at least that’s what the official sites say. They are having a problem with illegal entrants….so much so that ‘they’ are thinking of establishing Covid-19 pitstops to give the illegal entrants a shot before they continue on their way. 

45 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

Wide Open?

I knew both land borders were open for commercial traffic. I assumed the Mexican border was also closed to non essential traffic just like the Canadian border is.  

A couple of people I know will be ticked to hear that. They each spent a couple of grand talking one of the helicopter services to fly over to Buffalo (allowed) while their cars were carried over the land border commercially. That allowed them to drive down to their winter homes down south.

15 minutes ago, ladysail2 said:

I believe the Mexican-US border is officially closed to non-essential travel..at least that’s what the official sites say. They are having a problem with illegal entrants….so much so that ‘they’ are thinking of establishing Covid-19 pitstops to give the illegal entrants a shot before they continue on their way. 

I don't know what to tell except I was at both San Ysidro and Otay Mesa and it was a line of cars heading north as 5 wide and as far as the eye could see.  Inside both border crossing as I stood there getting paperwork sorted it was a river of humanity as foot traffic. coming by at both crossings.  This was one month ago.  When I crossed the US Canada border back on Feb 6th the US CBP officer told me, when I asked how much traffic they were seeing, that they would likely process 12 or 13 cars.  

I can't explain the disparity of treatment.  I only know what I saw with my own eyes.

I believe you! You were there. It’s kind of hard to believe that there is such disparity.  But I suppose it depends on the border guards…perhaps they’re more lenient at the Mexican border than at the Canadian  border. 

2 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

No, it's not. It's closed for discretionary travel, in exactly the same way it has been since since March 2020; so the administration has zero to do with it.  There are classes of persons allowed to cross (returning home, traveling for medical, for school, etc), but those classes have not changed.

2 hours ago, scottbee said:

No, it's not. It's closed for discretionary travel, in exactly the same way it has been since since March 2020; so the administration has zero to do with it.  There are classes of persons allowed to cross (returning home, traveling for medical, for school, etc), but those classes have not changed.

So when were you at the US Mexico border or do you have a special telescope that can you see from Vancouver to Tijuana ?

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

I don't know what to tell except I was at both San Ysidro and Otay Mesa and it was a line of cars heading north as 5 wide and as far as the eye could see.  Inside both border crossing as I stood there getting paperwork sorted it was a river of humanity as foot traffic. coming by at both crossings.  This was one month ago.  When I crossed the US Canada border back on Feb 6th the US CBP officer told me, when I asked how much traffic they were seeing, that they would likely process 12 or 13 cars.  

I can't explain the disparity of treatment.  I only know what I saw with my own eyes.

I believe it.

What I have a harder time believing is that we are opening the land border to the States in days, while they are being bombarded by Delta.  At the same time Canadians are considered risky for land entrance.  That is laughable. I say don’t let it open this week or in the near future, because the next wave in the states will last 2/3 months just like each wave here. That’s if they take the measures here of lock downs and masks, which seems impossible IMO.

• Like 3

I’ve just found this out and can’t believe it! Booked two cruises for Dec and Feb, had AZ jab (In U.K.) but I work in Italy and can’t get back to get my second jab until the end of October, but been offered the Pfizer in Italy. So now looks like the cruise lines won’t accept a different vaccine so will have to leave my 2nd dose until I get back which is 7 months after my first jab!! Trying to find out whether that will be a problem for the cruises. What a nightmare. Don’t know what to do. 

11 minutes ago, winty said:

I’ve just found this out and can’t believe it! Booked two cruises for Dec and Feb, had AZ jab (In U.K.) but I work in Italy and can’t get back to get my second jab until the end of October, but been offered the Pfizer in Italy. So now looks like the cruise lines won’t accept a different vaccine so will have to leave my 2nd dose until I get back which is 7 months after my first jab!! Trying to find out whether that will be a problem for the cruises. What a nightmare. Don’t know what to do. 

Currently if you have two of the same jab there is not time limit between them.  But as those of us with mixed doses know, that could very well change as the policy has already changed multiple times just in the past two weeks! LOL

I'm sorry you're in the same boat as the rest of us.  I'm not sure what covid is like in Italy but for your own protection it may be worth getting Pfizer now and not waiting. Hopefully in the next few months all of this will sort itself out.  As I said before in this thread, I've got all my toes and fingers crossed for some type of solution/resolution. December is still almost 5 months away.  Things keep changing weekly currently when it comes to covid policies. 🙂

47 minutes ago, winty said:

or...get 2 Pfizer doses in Italy

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

So when were you at the US Mexico border or do you have a special telescope that can you see from Vancouver to Tijuana ?

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

You made me snort.

Snort X 2. 😁

Of course @Tree_skier and @scottbee are both right. Non essential land borders crossing are not allowed from Mexico just like they are from Canada. It's just that 'essential' land border crossing look a lot different and and are at a much higher volume from Mexico than from Canada. Not a lot of Canadians own a million dollar condo in downtown Vancouver and commute daily to their job in Blaine Washington. 😉

Edited by DirtyDawg

2 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

I believe it.

What I have a harder time believing is that we are opening the land border to the States in days, while they are being bombarded by Delta.  At the same time Canadians are considered risky for land entrance.  That is laughable. I say don’t let it open this week or in the near future, because the next wave in the states will last 2/3 months just like each wave here. That’s if they take the measures here of lock downs and masks, which seems impossible IMO.

Hey, its international politics, and logic has nothing to do with anything in international politics. 

I'm not to concerned about Canada opening up the border to fully vaccinated Americans. They will be fully vaccinated with vaccines we have approved. Now, I'm sure some nitwits will try to fake vaccination documents and enter illegally, but a few more of those $10 grand fines being handed out should take care of that pretty quickly. 

As for when the U.S. reopens the land border with Canada, I really don't care. I have no plans to visit anywhere in the States until they (and we) get this Delta variant under control.  Quite frankly, I don't know why an American would want to visit Canada right now either. We still have indoor mask mandates in most of the country. If they do get ill here they will have to visit a socialized medical facility. And worst of all, if they come this Fall they will likely have to endure one of our Federal Elections! To say our elections are as boring as watching paint dry doesn't even come close. They are as boring as watching a diamond being formed. 😴  At least with a diamond you will have nice expensive, shinny bauble at the end. At the end of our Federal election, we'll likely just have Justin again. 

Come to think of it ......  (Sorry, you have to guess) 😉

Edited by DirtyDawg

1 hour ago, DirtyDawg said:

Snort X 2. 😁

Of course @Tree_skier and @scottbee are both right. Non essential land borders crossing are not allowed from Mexico just like they are from Canada. It's just that 'essential' land border crossing look a lot different and and are at a much higher volume from Mexico than from Canada. Not a lot of Canadians own a million dollar condo in downtown Vancouver and commute daily to their job in Blaine Washington. 😉

I don't know what to say. I know what it says on paper. There is a tonne of non-essential traffic coming across the US Mexico border. I know several people who have made non essential crossings.  One has been made one almost every week for months and has been bugging me to go with him to Ensenada.  I told him I'm not interested in crossing any border at this time 🙂 There is undoubtedly a difference in how the two borders being treated.  I can't explain why nor do I care.  I'm just reporting what I have seen with my own eyes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

I believe it.

The decisions about land crossing have been entirely political and not based on any reasonable scientific evidence.  Yet here we are.  For the longest time many US politicians were pressuring Canada to open the border and then when they do they following in kind.  It's inexplicable.

4 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

or...get 2 Pfizer doses in Italy

I’m trying but I can’t push it as they are good to offer me one dose. The problem is since U.K. left the EU there is no official agreement for EU countries to offer U.K. workers the jab. I have three weeks to decide before my next cruise payment is due, looks like I may need to cancel the first one at least. 

Check in just became available on my October cruise that I don't even know if I can go on and it just sucks.  This feeling is not fun.  I'm fully vaccinated and did the right thing.

And before anyone says, oh you shouldn't have booked...  This is a cruise that was booked before covid and has been moved multiple times.  It'll probably have to moved again.  When we moved it to October they were accepting mixed vaccines.  We have spent thousands booking tours and packages and then bam, policy changes.  Sigh.

Sorry, feeling sorry for myself today.  Reading everyone all excited doing check in on our facebook group.

Rant over LOL

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MaddyandMax said:

Check in just became available on my October cruise that I don't even know if I can go on and it just sucks.  This feeling is not fun.  I'm fully vaccinated and did the right thing.

And before anyone says, oh you shouldn't have booked...  This is a cruise that was booked before covid and has been moved multiple times.  It'll probably have to moved again.  When we moved it to October they were accepting mixed vaccines.  We have spent thousands booking tours and packages and then bam, policy changes.  Sigh.

Sorry, feeling sorry for myself today.  Reading everyone all excited doing check in on our facebook group.

Rant over LOL

You have every right to feel upset. This whole mixed vaccine debacle is ridiculous and there doesn’t seem to be a way around it except if one lives in Quebec.  We did do the right thing, took the advice of our government and got vaccinated in prudent time using approved vaccines.  We can’t get a third shot (so far) I read a study where a small sample of people was surveyed for any third shot ill effects. The sample size was about 300,000 (I think)…..and there were no deaths….sore arms, headaches, and typical vaccine reactions were encountered. The study was peer reviewed and approved for publishing. 
Now we’re stuck….going to be thrown in with the lepers who refuse to be vaccinated if we want to cruise.  I hope either mixed vaccines are accepted or third vaccines are approved if we want one.  I’m upset too and don’t have a cruise booked for another 15 months!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ladysail2 said:

You have every right to feel upset. This whole mixed vaccine debacle is ridiculous and there doesn’t seem to be a way around it except if one lives in Quebec.  We did do the right thing, took the advice of our government and got vaccinated in prudent time using approved vaccines.  We can’t get a third shot (so far) I read a study where a small sample of people was surveyed for any third shot ill effects. The sample size was about 300,000 (I think)…..and there were no deaths….sore arms, headaches, and typical vaccine reactions were encountered. The study was peer reviewed and approved for publishing. 
Now we’re stuck….going to be thrown in with the lepers who refuse to be vaccinated if we want to cruise.  I hope either mixed vaccines are accepted or third vaccines are approved if we want one.  I’m upset too and don’t have a cruise booked for another 15 months!

Luckily we we’re lucky to be able to get the 3rd shot, obviously we can only speak for ourselves but we didn’t have any side effects from the extra shot,  I was lucky enough to only have suffered a sore arm (injection site) after the first AZ shot and my wife was a bit sleepy the following day with a sore arm also but neither of us had any side effects from either of the Pfizer  shots. 

I hope it gets made available to those that want it/need it soon 🤞🏻

On 8/5/2021 at 9:43 AM, DirtyDawg said:

Hey, its international politics, and logic has nothing to do with anything in international politics. 

I'm not to concerned about Canada opening up the border to fully vaccinated Americans. They will be fully vaccinated with vaccines we have approved. Now, I'm sure some nitwits will try to fake vaccination documents and enter illegally, but a few more of those $10 grand fines being handed out should take care of that pretty quickly. 

As for when the U.S. reopens the land border with Canada, I really don't care. I have no plans to visit anywhere in the States until they (and we) get this Delta variant under control.  Quite frankly, I don't know why an American would want to visit Canada right now either. We still have indoor mask mandates in most of the country. If they do get ill here they will have to visit a socialized medical facility. And worst of all, if they come this Fall they will likely have to endure one of our Federal Elections! To say our elections are as boring as watching paint dry doesn't even come close. They are as boring as watching a diamond being formed. 😴  At least with a diamond you will have nice expensive, shinny bauble at the end. At the end of our Federal election, we'll likely just have Justin again. 

Come to think of it ......  (Sorry, you have to guess) 😉

I actually know lot of Canadians in Michigan and in Arizona, my Daughter Rents a home in PHX owned by Canadians. Have Friends in Michigan that own land/Cabins in Canada....Your Neighbor.

My husband and I are fully vaccinated but with AZ first and then Pfizer. We chose to do the right thing and get the first one available and then we were told to get an mRNA as our second because AZ was no longer readily available in our area. Plus the mRNA was safer and proving to provide more protection with the mixed doses. If I had thought for one second that the mixed dose would cause travel problems I would have waited even though we were told the wait would be long. So here we are in limbo....and it is so very frustrating.

Last night cancelled our B2B on Harmony for Nov/Dec. I understand that things change daily but I just can't deal with the uncertainty anymore. Royal agreed to give us a full refund and reissued the FCCs - if we lose them, so be it.  I'm just so done with all of this. I will take my refund and book a trip somewhere where my  Canadian vaccinated butt is accepted.

On top of all the mixed vaccine uncertainty, the rates of infection in Florida are mind-boggling so I honestly don't even want to go there. And I certainly do not want to deal with wearing a mask on a cruise or running around trying to get a covid test. After we cancelled I felt an instant sense of relief. I said to my husband "I never thought in a million years I would be happy and relieved to cancel cruises". This pandemic has opened my eyes to so much -  some good and some bad - but I am certainly wiser for it.

Good luck to all of you holding out hope. 

• Like 9