Passengers who have used Mixed Vaccination Protocols will not be considered to be Fully Vaccinated per RCI FAQs

On 8/5/2021 at 10:36 AM, Tree_skier said:

I don't know what to say. I know what it says on paper. There is a tonne of non-essential traffic coming across the US Mexico border. I know several people who have made non essential crossings.  One has been made one almost every week for months and has been bugging me to go with him to Ensenada.  I told him I'm not interested in crossing any border at this time 🙂 There is undoubtedly a difference in how the two borders being treated.  I can't explain why nor do I care.  I'm just reporting what I have seen with my own eyes.

Agree. Live in Arizona and Michigan, been back and forth dozen times last 18 months. Each Border is treated totally different...

6 minutes ago, The Sunset Glow said:

My husband and I are fully vaccinated but with AZ first and then Pfizer. We chose to do the right thing and get the first one available and then we were told to get an mRNA as our second because AZ was no longer readily available in our area. Plus the mRNA was safer and proving to provide more protection with the mixed doses. If I had thought for one second that the mixed dose would cause travel problems I would have waited even though we were told the wait would be long. So here we are in limbo....and it is so very frustrating.

Last night cancelled our B2B on Harmony for Nov/Dec. I understand that things change daily but I just can't deal with the uncertainty anymore. Royal agreed to give us a full refund and reissued the FCCs - if we lose them, so be it.  I'm just so done with all of this. I will take my refund and book a trip somewhere where my  Canadian vaccinated butt is accepted.

On top of all the mixed vaccine uncertainty, the rates of infection in Florida are mind-boggling so I honestly don't even want to go there. And I certainly do not want to deal with wearing a mask on a cruise or running around trying to get a covid test. After we cancelled I felt an instant sense of relief. I said to my husband "I never thought in a million years I would be happy and relieved to cancel cruises". This pandemic has opened my eyes to so much -  some good and some bad - but I am certainly wiser for it.

Good luck to all of you holding out hope. 

After our Japan Cruise on the Spectrum got Cancelled I booked a Inside Passage Alaskan cruise leaving from my homeport of Vancouver.  Not sure how they are going to handle mixed Vaxxes (since its a Canadian port).  If they won't let me off the ship then so be it.  Seen most of what I want to see in Juneau, Sitka and Ketchikan anyways.  More  interested in seeing Tracy Arm.

Glad I got something booked.  Probably be a while before we do a cruise out of Florida again.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, fisherguy said:

After our Japan Cruise on the Spectrum got Cancelled I booked a Inside Passage Alaskan cruise leaving from my homeport of Vancouver.  Not sure how they are going to handle mixed Vaxxes (since its a Canadian port).  If they won't let me off the ship then so be it.  Seen most of what I want to see in Juneau, Sitka and Ketchikan anyways.  More  interested in seeing Tracy Arm.

Glad I got something booked.  Probably be a while before we do a cruise out of Florida again.  

When is your cruise?  Cruise ships are not allowed in Canadian ports until it’s decided to let them back in. Also, on the ship you will be treated as an unvaccinated person….not allowed to go where the vaccinated go,  being tested all throughout the cruise, and have alot of restrictions placed upon you.  I don’t envision a pleasant time. I don’t have a cruise booked until Nov 2022, and am hoping by that time we vaccinated will be considered just that…vaccinated.  I feel insulted to be considered an unvaccinated person just because one country didn’t approve a vaccine that my country did approve. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Agree. Live in Arizona and Michigan, been back and forth dozen times last 18 months. Each Border is treated totally different...

Do you mean the US-Mexico border only, or also the US-Can border?  

• Like 1

On 8/4/2021 at 10:05 PM, Tree_skier said:

So when were you at the US Mexico border or do you have a special telescope that can you see from Vancouver to Tijuana ?

The Mexico -> USA land border is closed to the same extent that the Canada -> USA land border is.

The fact that Mexico allows US citizens in right now (via the land border) is a different subject, and that the US allows Americans to return via any land border, has really nothing to do with the original statement.

Edited by scottbee
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, scottbee said:

The Mexico -> USA land border is closed to the same extent that the Canada -> USA land border is.

The fact that Mexico allows US citizens in right now (via the land border) is a different subject, and that the US allows Americans to return via any land border, has really nothing to do with the original statement.

I’m not really sure why you want to argue this point.  The reality, which you admit to in this statement, is that American citizens and residents can make discretionary, non-essential travel across the US Mexico bother. That was not the case early on in the pandemic. That is the only point of my original post that you disputed. My post isn’t a criticism of Canada or Mexico but simply an observation that the current administration has an objectively different way of handling both borders.

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ladysail2 said:

When is your cruise?  Cruise ships are not allowed in Canadian ports until it’s decided to let them back in. Also, on the ship you will be treated as an unvaccinated person….not allowed to go where the vaccinated go,  being tested all throughout the cruise, and have alot of restrictions placed upon you.  I don’t envision a pleasant time. I don’t have a cruise booked until Nov 2022, and am hoping by that time we vaccinated will be considered just that…vaccinated.  I feel insulted to be considered an unvaccinated person just because one country didn’t approve a vaccine that my country did approve. 

May 2022.  Canada allowed opening of the cruise ports this coming November 2021

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

I’m not really sure why you want to argue this point.  The reality, which you admit to in this statement, is that American citizens and residents can make discretionary, non-essential travel across the US Mexico bother. That was not the case early on in the pandemic. That is the only point of my original post that you disputed. My post isn’t a criticism of Canada or Mexico but simply an observation that the current administration has an objectively different way of handling both borders.

Whereas I'm not fully understanding how you're not grasping this.  There are four [land] borders to consider

1. US -> Mexico; mostly open to all, under the control of the Mexican government
  2. Mexico -> US. Closed to most traffic with the exception of US citizens (and perm residents) returning
  3. Canada -> US. Closed to most traffic with the exception of US citizens (and perm residents) returning
  4. US -> Canada.  Closed to most traffic with the exception of Canadian citizens (and perm residents) returning. Opens to vaccinated US citizens on Aug 9

#1 is open to Americans traveling to Mexico, and they can then return through #2 under the "US Citizens returning home" clause; which is likely the traffic you're seeing.

The status of #2 and #3 has not changed since March 2020, and they have the same policy, spanning multiple US administrations. So, trying to make this a political "the current administration treats them differently" is complete and utter nonsense, and comes under the category of #fakegnus

ugh.. just had our March 2022 Radiance of the Seas cruise cancelled.. a full 7 months out.  However, it's being reassigned to Alaska cruises, I hear, so likely not covid related. 

However, I did call Royal and ask about rebooking. Finally got to talk to someone. 

I am a Canadian with a AZ / Pfizer mixed vax.  Still not accepted, but he said they are currently looking at policies for the next 3 months worth of cruises, so it MAY change.  

BUT, here's another kicker that I am sure was brought up earlier in this thread - it's not only the mixed vax that's the problem, but also the time between the 2 shots.  The website shows that a maximum 42 days is allowed between shots.  So, as a Canadian, even if you have two mRNA shots, but they are more than 42 days apart (which is almost a guarantee based on the way Canada rolled out the vax), they you are also considered unvaccinated.  

I'm with a good number of you here -I'm sitting this one out until no masks are required, and until the data is accepted on the mixed vaccinations, as well as the timing between shots.  I go on cruises to relax not to get all wound up stressing about vax and masks.   The world is opening up to Canadians (just arrived back yesterday from Austria - covid friendly for Canadians), and heading to Mexico all inclusive in 2 weeks.   We WILL vacation - but right now, cruises are sadly on our no go list. 😞

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Toddcan said:

ugh.. just had our March 2022 Radiance of the Seas cruise cancelled.. a full 7 months out.  However, it's being reassigned to Alaska cruises, I hear, so likely not covid related. 

However, I did call Royal and ask about rebooking. Finally got to talk to someone. 

I am a Canadian with a AZ / Pfizer mixed vax.  Still not accepted, but he said they are currently looking at policies for the next 3 months worth of cruises, so it MAY change.  

BUT, here's another kicker that I am sure was brought up earlier in this thread - it's not only the mixed vax that's the problem, but also the time between the 2 shots.  The website shows that a maximum 42 days is allowed between shots.  So, as a Canadian, even if you have two mRNA shots, but they are more than 42 days apart (which is almost a guarantee based on the way Canada rolled out the vax), they you are also considered unvaccinated.  

I'm with a good number of you here -I'm sitting this one out until no masks are required, and until the data is accepted on the mixed vaccinations, as well as the timing between shots.  I go on cruises to relax not to get all wound up stressing about vax and masks.   The world is opening up to Canadians (just arrived back yesterday from Austria - covid friendly for Canadians), and heading to Mexico all inclusive in 2 weeks.   We WILL vacation - but right now, cruises are sadly on our no go list. 😞

Totally agree. We still have one cruise booked for August 2022 - long story but it's a cruise to celebrate my in-laws 50th anniversary this year....originally we had one booked for 2021 for this but we cancelled and then booked this one refundable fare for next year. We are only trying to do that one because it's an anniversary gift but will cancel if cruising is not back to normal and will do something else instead.

I don't want to cruise being considered unvaccinated.....having to do testing, wearing a mask, going on ship sponsored tours....nope, will not go like that. As much as I love cruising, that would be far from enjoyable. I'm looking at Mexico for this fall or winter to replace the B2B cruise I just cancelled and we'll see what the next few months holds. I may not get back to cruising for 2 or 3 years, but I'd rather do something else than spend  money on a vacation with restrictions that will make it unenjoyable and stressful. That's not what vacation is to me so I'll wait it out.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Toddcan said:

Hey Todd,  hope you and your family are doing well.

The 42 day reference only applied to mixed vaccine doses.  It never applied to 2 doses of the same vaccine. That is from Michael Bayley himself. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

The 42 day reference only applied to mixed vaccine doses.  It never applied to 3 doses of the same vaccine. That is from Michael Bayley himself. 

Well, in fairness, this was unclear for awhile, even in the executive office.  But they did eventually settle on same-manufacturer doses being okay regardless of interval.

Maximum interval policy stands for mixed doses on non-US departures, which is kind of arbitrary, but at least it's clear.  For now.  Until they change it again.

1 minute ago, ladysail2 said:

Has anyone noticed that alot of the postings are gone? I wanted to look at a link I posted and was sure it was on Page 19….but no page 19 anymore.  Is it just me or does anyone else feel the same?    Thanks.

Hadn't noticed, but certainly would not be surprised, considering the topic, and the position of the forum owners on the topic, and on those discussing the topic, and on the inability of many to civilly discuss the topic. 🙂

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mabt said:

Well, in fairness, this was unclear for awhile, even in the executive office.  But they did eventually settle on same-manufacturer doses being okay regardless of interval.

Maximum interval policy stands for mixed doses on non-US departures, which is kind of arbitrary, but at least it's clear.  For now.  Until they change it again.

1 minute ago, gdy0354 said:

What I was looking for was the actual documented source of your reply. Formal RCCL document to reference.

Go through the earlier pages. Someone posted a picture of Michael Baley's response confirming this.

18 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

The 42 day reference only applied to mixed vaccine doses.  It never applied to 2 doses of the same vaccine. That is from Michael Bayley himself. 

Ah, gotcha. I'm mixed AZ + PFizer.  No issues though.. If I can find an alternative to our march break 22 cruise, I will have no hesitation booking because I am confident it will be worked out by then.. 

Good to hear from you again Ken! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Toddcan said:

Ah, gotcha. I'm mixed AZ + PFizer.  No issues though.. If I can find an alternative to our march break 22 cruise, I will have no hesitation booking because I am confident it will be worked out by then.. 

Good to hear from you again Ken! 

We may be booked on the same cruise - March 13 on Oasis (I'm near you in Hamilton so I think we have the same March break).  We are pfizer/moderna.  I'm much more hopeful for this cruise but have lost hope for my October 24 cruise.  Though I will say I'm only 60% on our March cruise...  Fingers crossed!

But of course we can't cancel without losing anything until their protocols are released 30 days before.  So we are stuck in limbo.