US Passport speed for minors -> set a record!

1 hour ago, karmamule said:

I'm checking for our destinations: Bahamas and Jamaica do not have the requirement, but Haiti does. Not sure if they'd enforce that for Labadee or not.

No, and even if arriving via air, Haiti would let you in with 5 months left on your passport. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

We just got ours and ran into the same issues with trying to get an appointment. I finally figured out the system and how to get one. What I did was look 4 weeks out and and figured out what day would land on a Saturday 4 weeks ahead. I did some mock appointment booking scheduling to figure it out and finally saw the pattern. So I logged in on a Thursday at 12:01 pacific time and sure enough, completely open for Saturday 4 weeks out and got the appointment I wanted. Appointments are completely booked anywhere within 50 miles of me and this was the only way I could get an appointment. Hope this helps you, good luck!    

It worked!  I guess one opens after midnight each day.  I was able to snag one for her next month.  Thanks so much 😊

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 3kidsncats said:

It worked!  I guess one opens after midnight each day.  I was able to snag one for her next month.  Thanks so much 😊

You're welcome, glad I could help. It was super frustrating for me too. Happy cruising! 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, karmamule said:

For renewing passports you have a choice. You can do it at a local office in person by setting up an appointment (but that can be VERY hard to do right now as they're still understaffed). Or if you are going to do it via mail then there are 3 possible addresses: one for expedited service, one for routine service for the states of California, Florida, Illinois, Minnesota, New York, or Texas, and finally one for routine service for all other states.

We had an appointment last Saturday at the post office to send in our kids (1 & 5 yo) so I was wondering if it gets processed at one central location or processed regionally. 

5 hours ago, karmamule said:

I thought I was all set for our cruise until I read that passports within 6 months of expiring are essentially no good.

that is not true for a majority of the cruising situations (out of the US, closed loop, etc.).

Oh, and 2 years ago I cruised with a passport which expired 1 day before our return to port (no US birth certificate). We only cruise in the Caribbean, though, closed loop. 

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 1

Don’t understand the need for an interview if you are renewing a passport that hasn’t expired yet. There is an online form on the gov’t website that you can send in directly along with your existing passport and a new picture and a check. We did ours that way and had our new passports in a few weeks.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Don’t understand the need for an interview if you are renewing a passport that hasn’t expired yet. There is an online form on the gov’t website that you can send in directly along with your existing passport and a new picture and a check. We did ours that way and had our new passports in a few weeks.

they probably mean children. Minors cannot apply online or through mail.

1 hour ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

that is not true for a majority of the cruising situations (out of the US, closed loop, etc.).

Oh, and 2 years ago I cruised with a passport which expired 1 day before our return to port (no US birth certificate). We only cruise in the Caribbean, though, closed loop. 

Thanks, that's good to know. Helps me relax about the situation. ☺️

If you are struggling to get an appointment, look for locations that take walkups.  My county courthouse does a very brisk business because they don't take appointments.  I had been trying for weeks to get an appointment (renewals for kids require you to go in person).  First thing in the morning, they are always busy but at noon, I walked right in with no wait.  Also check how to pay for the courthouse's fee to process your paperwork because mine you must pay in cash.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, orville99 said:

Well, I"ve been waiting more than a few weeks. However, I guess one's definition of "a few" could play into it. I put mine in the mail on April 29.

5 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

The Royal Caribbean policy is 6 months. If you encourage people to "chance it", they may get denied boarding. Everyone should follow the published polices and not base their decision on what someone one got away with. 

U.S. Citizens may sail using their:

• Official Birth Certificate and a supporting Government Issued Photo ID, like a driver’s license or an identity card. Please note that hospital Birth Certificates (baby feet Birth Certificates) are not accepted.

or

• U.S. Passport book that is valid at least 6 months after your cruise.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, orville99 said:

Yes. That is correct. We renewed our passports by mail in February (expedited service) and had our back in 30 days. We selected expedited service because the "regular" service in February was still backed because of the COVID shutdown of processing facilities. 

image.png.0ee2a8d11725d138bca20be7f7594701.png

Edited by BirdTravels

20 hours ago, karmamule said:

I thought I was all set for our cruise until I read that passports within 6 months of expiring are essentially no good. (Mine will expire about 5 months after our cruise.)

Then, my jaw dropped when I read the US passport site that said even expedited renewals can take up to 12 weeks! I saw that a little less than 14 weeks before our cruise was due and of course scrambled to get it sent out quickly. What a hassle. Good to luck to everyone struggling with this!

Since you do not need a passport for most Caribbean area cruises, you passport does not need 6 months validity.  Especially for a cruise.

The 6 month validity is imposed by the countries you will be visiting, to ensure that your passport will get you home when it is time to leave.

For getting back to the US, the passport is good up to the expiration.  I am not sure if it would be valid on the expiration date exactly, or the last day of validity is the day before.

16 hours ago, brillohead said:

That being said, I wonder what people who travel for a living have to do... pilots, flight attendants, even business people who travel internationally on a regular basis.  At least I can cruise the Caribbean with a birth certificate if I have to.

You can have a second passport if needed.

I have several people working for me that have two tourist passports to keep up with visas for work travel.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, orville99 said:

I have been wondering the same thing.

I renewed by mail.  Answered the questions online, it generated the application.  Printed, signed, put it in envelope with old passport, check, and photo, and mailed it.

I think you may need an appointment for children turning 18 and going from a 5 year passport to a 10 year one, but don't have kids, so haven't really paid attention.

18 hours ago, eggnoodle said:

Are passports sent to one location to be processed or is it processed regionally? 

There are a number of passport centers around the country.  So sort of regionally.

But I am not sure if they load shift.  That is if Passport Office A is low on work, that some from Passport Office B are not sent there.

4 hours ago, SRF said:

There are a number of passport centers around the country.  So sort of regionally.

But I am not sure if they load shift.  That is if Passport Office A is low on work, that some from Passport Office B are not sent there.

This is why I think some are receiving their passport faster than others. So maybe depending on where you live geographically, the passport center is processing it in a timely manner.

On 7/20/2021 at 4:13 PM, LadyShiva said:

(United States) Minor passport for a teenager, where kiddo has Pre-check already, and this is the flip from an expired 5 year to a lovely adult 10 year passport.  I paid for expedited handling.

Applied on June 18th, came in the USPS today!  *whew*  Our major city had NO passport interviews available for months (Pandemic), so we kept looking in smaller and smaller towns in the surrounding areas.  Lucked out with a town that does passports every day, no problems.

I hope that is good news for others waiting on their passport renewals.  I am doing the countdown dance now that I can breathe easier. 😁

Just as a side note.  Went for the Global Entry interview last Thursday and was shocked to open an nondescript envelope this morning and received my GE card.  Couldn't believe it. 

• Like 1

I am so glad I renewed my kids last Fall!  It was a ghost town at the post office when I took my 15 year old in October.  We did not have anything planned but I knew I wanted to travel as soon as things opened up! 

21 hours ago, orville99 said:

For minors, you have to do it in person everytime.  Also both parents have to be present or a notarized form must be brought.  I am so glad this was the last time doing that for my teens.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Thenagers said:

For minors, you have to do it in person everytime.  Also both parents have to be present or a notarized form must be brought.  I am so glad this was the last time doing that for my teens.  

Thanks. our minors have minors now, so it's been a long time since we've had to deal with youth passport renewals.🙂

On 7/20/2021 at 10:37 PM, Ocean Boy said:

Apparently, extra money talks. I was concerned until my check was finally cashed. Then I at least knew that things were not lost in the mail.

I am there with you. Mailed mine first week in May,  They updated my account on their website on 6/3 that they were reviewing my documnets. 7 weeks later it still says that. I bolded that I have a trip out of the country on August 22, but they must have overlooked that. I am not anticipating getting it back before that cruise. Glad I have an old yellowed faded certified copy of my birth certificate. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, orville99 said:

You were very fortunate. I did that on May 9 and still the website is saying they are reviewing my documents.