LAFFNVEGAS "LIVE" from the Nieuw Amsterdam, First HAL Ship to Sail!!

LAFFNVEGAS

9 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

No covid test. They had stated everyone must be fully vaccinated.

I'm assuming then that they did not do temperature checks?  Did they have staging area set aside for clinical related matters that you could see? 

39 minutes ago, zelker said:

The shops are independently owned and run so HAL has nothing to do with inventory of those.  That said, you'd think those vendors could have restocked between the time this cruise was announced and last Saturday.  Will be interesting to see if they restock any of that in Juneau.

And if the Juneau stock is from pre-covid. 😱

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, just_cruising_along said:

@canadarocksIf you are currently not on board you will see the message consult guest services when looking for menus.  I am not sure how close to the actual cruise time you have to be before you can see your cruise specific information. Have a great day!

We're not boarding until August 28th and we can see menus already.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Have you actually gone to the front desk or do you deal the the neptune suite concierge?  Those are 2 totally different things.  If you can get an answer from the front desk on such things consider yourself lucky.  Personally, I would be ok with disruption in the MDR.  It seems pre pandemic it was the same.  Hals strong suit is not being organized.  We've all had challenges during the pandmeic personally or business wise.  That is no reason for mediocrity to be the order of the day.  Cruises are a fortune now.  For a lot of us it's a stretch.  I want to hear the good and bad not the sugar coated version so I'm happy to hear it all.  People want to feel valued.  I don't think that's too much to ask.

Thank you!

This was the point I was trying to make.  It's not that people are expecting perfection, except for maybe Lauren Bacall on a 1990's RCI ship, just a little more polished.

I'm not an expert on lipstick, but wouldn't a sample that is all gunky and smashed get noticed by an average sales clerk?  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, zelker said:

We're not boarding until August 28th and we can see menus already.

Cool!  We are not boarding for a few months and we get the consult guest services, so probably depends upon the sailing (Alaska is in progress so menu is already set) and timing.  Thanks for the update.  Looking forward to cruising again!!!

5 minutes ago, zelker said:

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Lisa, did you check for an expiration date on the water?  Tales from the shops make me wonder how fresh it is.

Roy

That is a good idea and guess what, not expired but bottled 12. 04. 19

image.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

"Water, water everywhere and all the boards did shrink. Water, water everywhere and ne're a drop to drink."

I must say that I just don't understand all the talk about drinking water on board.

Let's be honest, our generation, when we were kids, drank out of garden hoses and worse when we were thirsty. 2/3 of the world has NO decent drinking water yet we complain about not having our favorite water in plastic bottles. Really?

The water from the taps in our staterooms on HAL ships is filtered and is every bit as pure as the overpriced stuff with fancy names you buy in plastic bottles. 

Time to get real.

• Like 38
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, atexsix said:

I'm assuming then that they did not do temperature checks?  Did they have staging area set aside for clinical related matters that you could see? 

No did not see anything but there was so much going on we may have totally missed it.

• Like 5

Just now, jimgev said:

"Water, water everywhere and all the boards did shrink. Water, water everywhere and ne're a drop to drink."

I must say that I just don't understand all the talk about drinking water on board.

Let's be honest, our generation, when we were kids, drank out of garden hoses and worse when we were thirsty. 2/3 of the world has NO decent drinking water yet we complain about not having our favorite water in plastic bottles. Really?

The water from the taps in our staterooms on HAL ships is filtered and is every bit as pure as the overpriced stuff with fancy names you buy in plastic bottles. 

Time to get real.

That was why I thought a commuter mug with a lid would work if they are no longer supplying glasses, I don't know on that.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

No did not see anything but there was so much going on we may have totally missed it.

True that.  It would give me one less thing to think about with all this talk on breakthrough cases (not on the HAL board specifically).  

1 minute ago, zelker said:

For those currently on board - here's what it looks like in Juneau at the moment.  Clouds breaking up even more than this morning and a bit of sun!  

image.png.afd4d853d7fcd669b5c70b2ee9ce2b5c.png

I've been checking so I can see the ship coming in.  What a fantastic break in the weather just in time. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Another observation/comment. This is about the shops specifically the cosmetics. 
I realized I had not brought one of my darker pink lipsticks so thought I would go down this morning to get one. All the samples were used,  smashed up or very melted down. Obviously never changed since March 2020. Then. Asked if they had any to sell and the guy there stated he did not think so and may be getting supplies in Juneau. It also appeared all the Frangrances were old as well. 
I would have thought all of it would have been removed and new brought on. I asked if the sample lipstick was from prior to the pause and he answered yes.

So how did this story turn out?  

And did the solution match your shoes and handbag?  😁

10 minutes ago, zelker said:

For those currently on board - here's what it looks like in Juneau at the moment.  Clouds breaking up even more than this morning and a bit of sun!  

image.png.afd4d853d7fcd669b5c70b2ee9ce2b5c.png

Looks like we're coming in first followed by Milly

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Coffeeluvr05 said:

The full menu is available in the Navigator app.

Duh, I didn’t even think of that. I picked up my IPhone, grabbed that app out of the Cloud and there it was. It was so long since I looked at it, I had trouble remembering my password 😢.

St Louis Sal

• Like 3