LAFFNVEGAS "LIVE" from the Nieuw Amsterdam, First HAL Ship to Sail!!

LAFFNVEGAS

36 minutes ago, Boytjie said:

In New York it has become common during the pandemic to use QR codes for menus. 

It is fairly easy: you open your camera app on your smartphone and get the QR code in view, it should pop up a link to the menu that you can click on.

Neat!  Once I start going out to restaurants again I’ll have to see if any use that here…technology is amazing if it works.  Thanks! 

5 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

If that was the only one scheduled for this voyage, I would agree with you that someone dropped the proverbial hot potato! Having uttered that, perhaps stand by a couple of days to see if a second reception is forthcoming due to a larger than usual "load" of 4/5 Star Mariners on this particular voyage. Just a thought! 😉 

You must have been shining during the night, because that was my thought on waking....hmmm, Stephen King anyone?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Boytjie said:

It is fairly easy: you open your camera app on your smartphone and get the QR code in view, it should pop up a link to the menu that you can click on.

29 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

Neat!  Once I start going out to restaurants again I’ll have to see if any use that here…technology is amazing if it works.  Thanks! 

A little more on QR code’s, especially for those concerned about privacy:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2021/07/26/technology/qr-codes-tracking.amp.html

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 2

So they are forcing you to buy WiFi to scan the codes then, right?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, zelker said:

Wifi for the intranet (on the ship) is free.  Internet you have to purchase.  The app either relies on local servers on the ship or is not filtered and allowed on the internet without cost.  I suspect it is locally hosted to reduce internet volume.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, zelker said:

It's the equivalent of flying on an airplane where you can use your device to watch the entertainment the airline offers. No need to purchase WiFi. You can also visit the website of whatever airline you are on at no charge. Same here. The HAL Nav app is free to use while on the ship. 

• Like 2

In order for me to use a QR code app I would need to carry a magnifying glass with me to see anything.  My screen is maybe 2"X3".  That is what I don't like about the reliance on smartphone and social media technology. 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, rothbury said:

In order for me to use a QR code app I would need to carry a magnifying glass with me to see anything.  My screen is maybe 2"X3".  That is what I don't like about the reliance on smartphone and social media technology. 

That'll be the issue for Dear Dad, assuming he can find it within the app in the first place.  When he has problems with tech, he calls the "help desk" (me).

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Laminator said:

It's the equivalent of flying on an airplane where you can use your device to watch the entertainment the airline offers. No need to purchase WiFi. You can also visit the website of whatever airline you are on at no charge. Same here. The HAL Nav app is free to use while on the ship. 

I know Navigator app is free but my QR scan app has nothing to do with the Navigator app.  Oh well, guess we’ll see when we’re onboard.

10 hours ago, Mrsfrz said:

Lisa, I hope HAL finds a way to make it right regarding your missed reception. I have a question about your room. If I read correctly earlier, you are in an aft cabin on deck 7. Is that right? We are on the August 21 cruise and have two aft cabins booked, 7138 and 7143. I wondered how they were and if they actually are a little bigger than the regular verandas. Of course, if you have a corner cabin, you wouldn't know! I'm enjoying every minute of your reports. Thank you. 

We are in category VB 7134, next door to the corner aft. Yes they are ever so slightly bigger. Per HAL they are 220 sq ft. I would say it is a foot wider and probably 2 feet longer than a regular Verandah. While the Balcony itself is not huge it also is a bit larger.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, ksmaxey said:

Wifi for the intranet (on the ship) is free.  Internet you have to purchase.  The app either relies on local servers on the ship or is not filtered and allowed on the internet without cost.  I suspect it is locally hosted to reduce internet volume.

Yes, I understand about intranet vs internet.  But aren’t we using our regular QR scan app on our device which would be via internet since it’s independent from HAL and Navigator? Sorry, confused.

4 minutes ago, zelker said:

Yes, I understand about intranet vs internet.  But aren’t we using our regular QR scan app on our device which would be via internet since it’s independent from HAL and Navigator? Sorry, confused.

The QR code reader only reads the address embedded in the code. Your device then depends on your browser to take that address, which may be local, and display the content.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, zelker said:

I already saw this on Navigator but wondered if it matches what they have at the Canaletto itself since you already said there have been MDR changes.

I honestly think this may be correct since they Pinnacle the menu does not change like the Main Dining does.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, zelker said:

No you do not have to have a WiFi package, you are just using the ships WiFi same if having the Navigator app you can use the app without having a WiFi package.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Minkes perhaps, as in what Jacques Clouseau walking his beat referred to in "Return of the Pink Panther" 😉 

Gee, thanks, John.  🐒 Now I’ll be hearing his voice in my head saying that all day.  🤪 

I think minkes are typically seen in the Cook Inlet.  We’ve never been lucky enough to see one.

Edited by zelker
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, canadarocks said:

When I go to the restaurant pages on my Navigator each one says “Please see Guest Services for the current menu”. We don’t sail until 2022, would that be why they’re not showing?

You're doing better than me. When I click on a restaurant page, it closes the app.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1