LAFFNVEGAS "LIVE" from the Nieuw Amsterdam, First HAL Ship to Sail!!

LAFFNVEGAS

Just return to our stateroom and found this card on our bed. Thought this was a bit strange. Plus are they really giving us something if we already have a drink package??

Also laundry service is currently fast and efficient. Tom sent out his dress shirts and dress pants because they were extremely wrinkled. They picked them up last night and we had them back at 10:30 this morning.

Also the letter below was outside our door this morning.

2B1810E2-A6BC-49B3-8C20-71DC43102F47.jpeg

image.jpg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Happy to see Escargot on the menu.  You two are very photogenic.  Are most people just doing two tops in MDR.  What is the mood like for people interacting with each other, say for example in trivia would six people who are not cruising together get together or people stay in their twosome  or foursome.  

• Like 2

Note that on the Captain's COVID notice Van Donslaar signed it. anthough  Copper 10-8 said Baiijans was the captain. Clarification please?

Got my clarification after reading back. Van Donslaar extended 1 week, so we will stall will have Baijans next week...

Edited by Tennessee Titan
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Just return to our stateroom and found this card on our bed. Thought this was a bit strange. Plus are they really giving us something if we already have a drink package??

Also laundry service is currently fast and efficient. Tom sent out his dress shirts and dress pants because they were extremely wrinkled. They picked them up last night and we had them back at 10:30 this morning.

image.jpg

They probably look to see who has the drink package then drop off this little nugget 😛.  Thank you for all your hard work keeping all of us cruise starved peeps informed.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Tennessee Titan said:

Note that on the Captain's COVID notice Van Donslaar signed it. anthough  Copper 10-8 said Baiians was the captain. Clarification please?

John later corrected himself when he stayed for this week.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, zelker said:

I just literally added it to our online cart for August 28th sailing and it came up as $139 for a Single (with the option of $219 for a couple).  Was this price card in your stateroom or at the spa?  I'd definitely question the prices.

Many items are less expensive if you buy them online before you cruise!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, lstrong said:

Lisa, thanks for trying to get the bar prices!  We all here appreciate your time and efforts. I am surprised though that we’ll need to scan it

Guessing the bars themselves will have prices printed but they may not be placing the folders on all the tables like they have in the past.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tennessee Titan said:

Note that on the Captain's COVID notice Van Donslaar signed it. anthough  Copper 10-8 said Baiijans was the captain. Clarification please?

Got my clarification after reading back. Van Donslaar extended 1 week, so we will stall will have Baijans next week...

Captain Baiijens had returned from vacation about 10 days prior to our sailing I believe and he found out they decided to require longer quarantine even though he has been vaccinated so he had to stay in quarantine. He messaged me that he gets out of quarantine on Monday. I believe he will take over as Captain next Saturday.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lido deck main said:

Happy to see Escargot on the menu.  You two are very photogenic.  Are most people just doing two tops in MDR.  What is the mood like for people interacting with each other, say for example in trivia would six people who are not cruising together get together or people stay in their twosome  or foursome.  

There are definitely some groups not traveling together placed at the same table. For last night there is a 4 top next to us with two couples and I overheard their conversations. Definitely introduction and getting to know each other. Then when we went to breakfast this morning they asked if we wanted a large table to dine with others.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

No there were several men in shorts, just evening long pants are required.

Regardless of the itinerary, casual wear, such as men dressed in shorts, has always been acceptable.  

I am not sure that the weekly Spa pass has increased.  The sale prices you showed seemed very familiar.  

41 minutes ago, lstrong said:

Lisa, thanks for trying to get the bar prices!  We all here appreciate your time and efforts. I am surprised though that we’ll need to scan it

I will keep trying, it did the same yesterday.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

image.jpg

Drink card is something new ..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

I will try to quick add some pictures from this morning’s breakfast. We got down to deck two around 8:15. I have always felt breakfast in the MDR was slow and servers were not organized. Due to the newness it was what I expected. No big deal. Although we have a Beverage Package in the Dining Room they keep insisting they have to charge us for covered items but in the end they have not. Instead come back and apologize. 
we are having a impromptu CC Meet and Greet up in the Crows Nest at 11.

By the way, finally got coffee served this morning in the MDR. Lol

**Update, my pics never uploaded so was just now able to. The speed was amazing here in the Crows Nest.

Unfortunately only SLC1954 and Gohoward and Tom and I showed for the Meet and Greet but we had a very nice chat.

16C7FB00-6FEC-446C-AC6F-E4FC5DA2D68D.jpeg

F048A159-CE84-4327-958E-95F059F6CAC3.jpeg

68949413-8CFC-4B67-B571-D1635A3DB4DF.jpeg

73DD064E-4D76-4149-908A-9940354ECACC.jpeg

22D02EAC-1558-4849-AD62-0B3981B3091B.jpeg

9BB67732-EA44-44BD-B788-BFEB79639D15.png

109C0AB7-5A6E-4D18-9F39-2EB1FA3EC564.png

42FC4369-BCBB-47D3-830E-B6C749A82E91.png

Thanks for posting the Breakfast menu.  Many old favorites are still there with some new ones added as well.  Lobster Benedict?  Even as an extra cost item, I would try that.  I enjoy seafood Benedict's, such as Crab Benedict.

I did spot another of what I am going to consider another "oddity" menu item that the Culinary Council Chefs sometimes devise:  Kristen Kish's Croissant and Bread Pudding.  Sounds a "bit heavy" for breakfast, particularly if one was going to be "out and about" on a shore excursion.  

2 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Tonight’s menu

and Thermal Pass pricing which is definitely higher than in the past.

27320E36-0FBA-4153-A07F-89966E09B28C.png

E3B6D3B7-D9D8-42D8-BCEC-0B8E8369156E.jpeg

2 hours ago, zelker said:

I just literally added it to our online cart for August 28th sailing and it came up as $139 for a Single (with the option of $219 for a couple).  Was this price card in your stateroom or at the spa?  I'd definitely question the prices.

That makes me think that they are going with the approach many other lines have taken - lower price if booked pre-cruise, higher if booked on board.  The current HAL President did come from Carnival, so follow the bread crumbs .....

• Like 4

Has anyone onboard seen any Wine Package listings yet? If so, are they

the same as the ones listed online for the current cruise (which are about 5 years old or so)? Thanks for any info.

Edited by PSR

2 hours ago, zelker said:

I looked at it last night for the August 14th cruise and it was $219 for a couple.

1 hour ago, Tennessee Titan said:

Capt. van Donselaar was asked to extend his contract for one week in order for him to captain HAL's first ship back in Alaska. His first name namesake, Jeroen Baaijens should be relieving him this coming Sat in SEA

• Like 1