LAFFNVEGAS "LIVE" from the Nieuw Amsterdam, First HAL Ship to Sail!!

LAFFNVEGAS

4 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

No have not seen the Let Us Know cards like in the past. Our server in the MD did remind us of the on line survey last night and asked to remember his name.

There is a "Feedback" link in the Navigator App (click 'Connect' at the bottom menu and 'Feedback' will be one of the options to choose).

We used this on our last couple of cruises and got quick responses from Guest Services. Mostly we used it to pass on good reports regarding the wonderful service we were receiving from individual staff.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, mxschwartz said:

Thanks for this thread!

Can you make dining reservations from the app once you're on board?

I am not sure, I have actually tried and could not see a way to go it.  I had made our Pinnacle and evening Tamarind in advance. We made our lunch Tamarind when we got on board. A few days ago I noticed for Thursday it listed us having Tamarind reservations for Thursday, I tried to cancel on line but there was no option so I called plus wanted to know how that reservation for there. They told me they automatically placed me there because I had the Have It All. I explained I already booked on line before the cruise using my credit for Have it all for Pinnacle the last night. She said oh yes , I see that. So she did cancel the Tamarind. I was concerned if not canceled although I did not make the reservation we would have been charged for it.

• Like 5

As mentioned we did sign up for Port Vallet, our flight is at 12:01 I logged into Alaska Air at 12:02 and it showed we were already checked in and could print boarding pass and place in my Apple Wallet 

Little side note on that , I had paid to upgrade to Premium Economy with Alaska Air of $39 pp for both segments. We always choose and isle and middle seat on left side. I purchased the upgrade about 6 weeks before we left. The day before we left Alaska Air did an aircraft swap from a 737 to an Airbus moved our seats and we now have a window and middle seat. 😟 Not what we paid for plus one row back which is not a big deal especially being a different plane. I looked for first class seats and it states not available for this flight. It looks like a full flight so stuck. That was a bit disappointing especially since we paid extra.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

As mentioned we did sign up for Port Vallet, our flight is at 12:01 I logged into Alaska Air at 12:02 and it showed we were already checked in and could print boarding pass and place in my Apple Wallet 

Little side note on that , I had paid to upgrade to Premium Economy with Alaska Air of $39 pp for both segments. We always choose and isle and middle seat on left side. I purchased the upgrade about 6 weeks before we left. The day before we left Alaska Air did an aircraft swap from a 737 to an Airbus moved our seats and we now have a window and middle seat. 😟 Not what we paid for plus one row back which is not a big deal especially being a different plane. I looked for first class seats and it states not available for this flight. It looks like a full flight so stuck. That was a bit disappointing especially since we paid extra.

Bummer, LIsa 😔. That’s happened to us when they’ve changed planes too.  We did get a refund after we requested it a few months later.

Frustrating.  So sorry that your trip has to end in a disappointment 😞 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

If you send me a a short email at copperis10.8@gmail.com, I'll tell ya all about it 😉 

I hope no City Attorneys received unfavorable mention 😩

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

I have some spare time this morning so when just bring up some random thoughts.

It’s been asked about the Every day items on the menu as in the past. Rather than have a separate section they are listing them in the entrees to make it appear they are offering quite a bit. Where in fact the new items daily are much fewer than in the past. However with that being said, last night Tom asked if he could get a Baked potato that has not been on the menu all week and in the past was part of the daily options, they quickly said, “Of course”. Also not on the menu last night was the Cesar Salad which he also was able to order. So they may still offer some of the old items from the the old every day menu.

Ok let’s talk about Upsells/Solicitation 😂

For those that know me from the early days of our cruising I worked at a Toyota Car Dealership for 15 years. For many when you think of hard core sales a Used Car Salesman comes to mind. Although if you have never worked on commission or bonus structure and had to sell anything you may not find what I have to say as funny. 
Every time we have been in the MD well actually other places as well but mostly in the MD the servers are trying to upsell those added cost items. Even this morning for breakfast they were trying to upsell to a Lobster Benedict then after the first no they switched to upselling a cappuccino.

Anyway last night I hear our server really pushing the gentleman in the table behind us the Tomahawk Steak. So Tom could not hear the conversation I told him about this. I then stated that they must be offering a spiff (that is a term used in the car business to be rewarded immediately after making a sale so if a reward). We then started talking about we were sure with the very high amount of soliciting there must be some monetary compensation. I said I bet back in the kitchen they probably high five and fist bump when someone sells something. Then I got the idea they need a big bell, possibly the ships bell to ring when they sell the Tomahawk. You know just like at car dealerships when they make the new car owner ring the bell. Trust me the bigger deal they make if it the more commission the salesman made. But customers eat it up. So Hal needs to let everyone know you can ring the Bell 🔔 when you order the Tomahawk 😂😆👏🏻 

The MDR servers need to go talk to those spa employees, OMG, they can easily put any car sales people to shame, I had one of those hot stone massages a couple of cruises ago and she was ready to sign me up for a few thousand dollars worth of product, when I balked (so much for my relaxation) she dropped a category...this kept going and going until she got something out of me, some lotion I don't think I ever touched.  

I never booked a spa appointment again after that.

Edit: And I know people have to make a living, but overdoing upsells to the point of not taking no for an answer is a complete turnoff.  I usually tip pretty well in the MDR and this might affect the level of my generosity.    

Edited by atexsix
  • Like 10
  • Haha 1

On 7/28/2021 at 1:14 PM, zelker said:

Flat-rate Taxi Info - Pier 91 to Seatac

🚕

Since so many of us that will be sailing Alaska this summer are following this thread, I figured it was a good place to share info re: the flat-rate taxis from the pier to the airport. 

I just spoke with Yellow Taxi (206-343-4380) who confirmed the rate is $45 this year (that's per taxi, not per person), they accept credit cards, and there will be plenty of taxis lined up just outside the terminal ready to go as soon as we start disembarking so no need to pre-arrange.  

Thanks for this info.  I too spoke with Yellow Taxi and a very nice lady told me same thing and also advised me download their app.  I did so and has some good features, like fare estimates for non flat rate rides.   You can also schedule a ride using the app.  

19 hours ago, ksmaxey said:

We are disappointed by tonight's menu apart from the lack of lobster.  The diminished options are significant

The menus that have been posted keep saying "Market Fresh Seafood".  Do the Stewards know what this is?  This type of generic listing indicates to me that these menus were made weeks/months (?) ago.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, atexsix said:

The MDR servers need to go talk to those spa employees, OMG, they can easily put any car sales people to shame, I had one of those hot stone massages a couple of cruises ago and she was ready to sign me up for a few thousand dollars worth of product, when I balked (so much for my relaxation) she dropped a category...this kept going and going until she got something out of me, some lotion I don't think I ever touched.  

I never booked a spa appointment again after that.

Edit: And I know people have to make a living, but overdoing upsells to the point of not taking no for an answer is a complete turnoff.  I usually tip pretty well in the MDR and this might affect the level of my generosity.    

I always say "if you don't pitch me products at the end of this service then I will give you an additional tip".......that has worked for me in the past.

• Like 5

I apologize if this has been asked and answered but what was true experience as far as bringing wine on board?  Last I heard was conflicting rules between contract and what you should know before boarding.

1 hour ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

I am not sure, I have actually tried and could not see a way to go it.  I had made our Pinnacle and evening Tamarind in advance. We made our lunch Tamarind when we got on board. A few days ago I noticed for Thursday it listed us having Tamarind reservations for Thursday, I tried to cancel on line but there was no option so I called plus wanted to know how that reservation for there. They told me they automatically placed me there because I had the Have It All. I explained I already booked on line before the cruise using my credit for Have it all for Pinnacle the last night. She said oh yes , I see that. So she did cancel the Tamarind. I was concerned if not canceled although I did not make the reservation we would have been charged for it.

They might have.

13 minutes ago, silversneakers said:

I always say "if you don't pitch me products at the end of this service then I will give you an additional tip".......that has worked for me in the past.

LoL, I always do that in places like Mexico where they are always trying to sell me stuff.  The taxi driver wanted to take me to see "cathedral" and "ancient ruins"...I'm like, I will give you this much American dollars if you take me directly to where I want to go, no detours...it worked, gotta love haggling!

Edited by atexsix
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, ronmar22 said:

I apologize if this has been asked and answered but what was true experience as far as bringing wine on board?  Last I heard was conflicting rules between contract and what you should know before boarding.

I have no idea since it has been years since I brought wine on board.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

The elimination of the wine stewards in the MDR and adding that task to the already big plates of the MDR stewards (this occurred prior to the pandemic) was a not well thought out move by someone sitting behind a desk in the emerald city and needs to be reversed forth with in order to improve overall service in that room

And probably someone who have never been on a cruise, HAL or other any other company.

I wonder if this individual(s) have ever experienced "fine dining."  

14 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Guest Relations on board sent us a floral arrangement which was nice. 

A floral arrangement that you will enjoy for how long this late in your cruise?  The Guest Relations Manager needs to find a shore side job.  Maybe, starting at McDonald's might be appropriate.  

13 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

So the way (the route) personal invitations like these follow for these type of events goes in this fashion: 

Thanks for the explanation of the process.  

9 hours ago, highscar said:

About the lack of wine stewards. Could you ask the table steward to leave the bottle on the table during the meal?

Red wine?  That has been what they have been doing.  White wine is in an ice bucket somewhere.  Mine have been close to where my table have been and I have served myself when the Wine Steward was MIA.  

8 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

if they are going to make it 4/5 Star only, make it a much nicer event.

Yes, that would be an event that ought to make it "more special".  

• Like 2

Went up to the Lido for a small bite to eat. Saturday through Wednesday Lido lunch was or appeared to be the same entrees at each station with the exception of one main meat entree at the carving station. But suddenly yesterday and today there were different items in the various stations. I also don’t remember seeing the Asian station set up till yesterday and I had walked around once before. At the Asian station they have those good shrimp rice crackers that had been in Tamarind in years past. Now Tamarind has the much larger crackers that are really not flavored.

When we got back our Cabin steward placed our luggage on the bed….hint hint, they are kicking us off. . Then we also received tiles as well as our Port Valet information which I will picture below.

F417FB1F-E356-4586-9CD8-D0189AA4B330.jpeg

AC0C403E-CA0E-47DE-B405-9348463EBA86.jpeg

03CD5050-1710-4E25-ACBA-62FDDEDE4E02.jpeg

527339B9-4AF9-465F-AB7D-4C2D6FBA7A96.jpeg

50302260-9191-41D0-BF09-C2BBD4C5CC74.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

Hi Lisa

I have been following this from the beginning.   Really enjoyed all the information you were able to provide us cruisers to Alaska that will follow this first one.    You've given up a lot of your relaxation time to do these posts and pictures and we all appreciate it.    Looking forward to meeting you in person on the 9/4 Alaska cruise.   Safe travels home to you and Tom.   And to everyone else that is lucky enough to be cruising again!

Maryell

• Like 3

5 hours ago, taxmantoo said:

Haven't heard of any HAL executives being on board other than the Brand Ambassador (not really an executive nor does he have the power to rectify anything) while Jan Swartz is on the Princess ship.  

This is a PR fumble for HAL.  When Celebrity Edge sailed on her first cruise a few weeks ago, RCI's CEO and Chairman, Richard Fain, was aboard (as were other RCI's executives).  There is a You Tube video of Mr. Fain interacting with his guests at the Martini Bar.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

F417FB1F-E356-4586-9CD8-D0189AA4B330.jpeg

It's always disheartening to see those things pop up on your bed while you're out . . . lucky for you though, you have only a few weeks to wait till your next sailing!  Happy packing!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

• Like 1