Canadians unable to cruise with Royal Caribbean

If you read the Royal Caribbean covid restrictions they effectively prevent Most Canadians from taking a RCL cruise. 

a valid vaccination is required and according to the CDC that has to be 2 shots of the same vaccine in which the second shot is given between 21 and 42 days of the first. 

RCL seem prepared to accept 2 shots of different vaccines ( Pfizer and moderna) but the requirement of the second dose being taken between 21 and 42 days simply cannot be met by the majority of vaccinated Canadians. This is because it was government policy to delay the second shot to at least 90 days. 

Additionally it was previous RCL policy to refund the $480 per person deposit up to the date of final payment. Now they will only give you a future cruise voucher after deducting $100US  four what they term “ administrative costs).  
with all the uncertainty rather than giving more flexibility they are gouging prospective cruisers who through no fault of their own but due to changing covid restrictions may have to cancel before final payment date. 

my advise - don’t book in advance just take your chances on last minute booking and avoid being caught with costs over which you can have no control. 

• Like 1

It's the cdc not rcl. John heald over at carnival said over a week ago he expected to hear from the cdc about this. I see some seem to think it's up to rcl what's acceptable. This affects all cruiselines.

The cdc needs to get back to them and hasnt. 

• Like 1

LOTS of discussion in this thread...... not just Canadians affected by it..... overwhelming sentiment says give it a bit and it'll change....

Should any Canadians book right now? I'd say 100% no way. 
It's the ones that have existing bookings/L&S etc etc that are on the hook right now.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, NateUpNorth said:

LOTS of discussion in this thread...... not just Canadians affected by it..... overwhelming sentiment says give it a bit and it'll change....

Should any Canadians book right now? I'd say 100% no way. 
It's the ones that have existing bookings/L&S etc etc that are on the hook right now.

Absolutely true.  We fall into that category of having a cruise booked 2 weeks from now, so we hope they make the changes sooner rather than later.  What is frustrating is even the CEO of RCL stated publicly that RCCL considers those of us beyond 42 days fully vaccinated, yet the employees working under the CEO do not seem to acknowledge what their superior has publicly stated.

3 minutes ago, Russ Lomas said:

Absolutely true.  We fall into that category of having a cruise booked 2 weeks from now, so we hope they make the changes sooner rather than later.  What is frustrating is even the CEO of RCL stated publicly that RCCL considers those of us beyond 42 days fully vaccinated, yet the employees working under the CEO do not seem to acknowledge what their superior has publicly stated.

We sail in November (L&S from 2020) and I have no faith it'll be sorted by then either! LOL
We've got 2 under 12 ineligible, 1 mixed and beyond 42 days (both MRna, not that it matters) and 1 unvaxxed (for now).
Good luck to us getting that mess sorted out...... oh well, unfortunately lesson learned. No more booking a cruise more than a couple months out.....

Edited by NateUpNorth

12 minutes ago, Russ Lomas said:

CEO may personally consider to be fully vaccinated but not the rules set by Cdc for all cruiselines, not just Royal.

Suspect this will all change as various studies are being done.

11 minutes ago, NateUpNorth said:

We sail in November (L&S from 2020) and I have no faith it'll be sorted by then either! LOL
We've got 2 under 12 ineligible, 1 mixed and beyond 42 days (both MRna, not that it matters) and 1 unvaxxed (for now).
Good luck to us getting that mess sorted out...... oh well, unfortunately lesson learned. No more booking a cruise more than a couple months out.....

Based on today's protocols you can still sail just will fall in the unvaccinated category with various restrictions.    I suspect protocols to change several times from now till november.  

My next booked is end of september and I'm sure alot will change by then too!

My concern is how the delta variant will impact sailings, etc.

6 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Based on today's protocols you can still sail just will fall in the unvaccinated category with various restrictions.    I suspect protocols to change several times from now till november.  

My next booked is end of september and I'm sure alot will change by then too!

My concern is how the delta variant will impact sailings, etc.

Oh I realize we can technically still sail..... but figuring out the protocols, how they'll affect the experience, how much extra $$ it'll cost for tests, what tours we can take, can we even get off the ship, when those tests will occur, can we even drive over the border to get to the port etc etc etc....... yeah, bit of a gong show. And the only consistent thing is inconsistency. As you mentioned, it'll all change several times before we sail anyway. LOL. 

Edited by NateUpNorth
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Mikey2611 said:

Additionally it was previous RCL policy to refund the $480 per person deposit up to the date of final payment. Now they will only give you a future cruise voucher after deducting $100US  four what they term “ administrative costs).  

You can cancel up until 72 hours prior to sail date and you will receive a 100% FCC.  All administrative penalties have been waived

3 hours ago, Mikey2611 said:

If you read the Royal Caribbean covid restrictions they effectively prevent Most Canadians from taking a RCL cruise. 

a valid vaccination is required and according to the CDC that has to be 2 shots of the same vaccine in which the second shot is given between 21 and 42 days of the first. 

RCL seem prepared to accept 2 shots of different vaccines ( Pfizer and moderna) but the requirement of the second dose being taken between 21 and 42 days simply cannot be met by the majority of vaccinated Canadians. This is because it was government policy to delay the second shot to at least 90 days. 

with all the uncertainty rather than giving more flexibility they are gouging prospective cruisers who through no fault of their own but due to changing covid restrictions may have to cancel before final payment date. 

my advise - don’t book in advance just take your chances on last minute booking and avoid being caught with costs over which you can have no control. 

What about people who have had the same vaccine but 12 weeks apart?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

What about people who have had the same vaccine but 12 weeks apart?

Open question.  Short answer is that different people are getting different information, depending on who they ask.  When escalated, typically the response is that the 42-day interval requirement applies to all mRNA combinations, same manufacturer or otherwise.

I suggest reading through one of these threads, or at least the last few pages:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2792370-is-royal-caribbean-trying-to-get-all-canadians-to-cancel-their-planned-cruises/

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2790972-passengers-who-have-used-mixed-vaccination-protocols-will-not-be-considered-to-be-fully-vaccinated-per-rci-faqs/

17 minutes ago, mabt said:

Open question.  Short answer is that different people are getting different information, depending on who they ask.  When escalated, typically the response is that the 42-day interval requirement applies to all mRNA combinations, same manufacturer or otherwise.

I suggest reading through one of these threads, or at least the last few pages:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2792370-is-royal-caribbean-trying-to-get-all-canadians-to-cancel-their-planned-cruises/

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2790972-passengers-who-have-used-mixed-vaccination-protocols-will-not-be-considered-to-be-fully-vaccinated-per-rci-faqs/

What happens when the UK does booster shots in September and what happens if that booster dose is different from what was given?

7 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

What happens when the UK does booster shots in September and what happens if that booster dose is different from what was given?

Doesn't matter, you still get to keep your mask on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

How can anyone answer something that hasn't happened.  They can't even figure out who they are letting on next week.

• Like 5

Letter I just recieved 

Thank you for contacting the executive office of Royal Caribbean International. Mr. Bayley received your email and I am pleased to respond on his behalf.

In response to your inquiry regarding the protocols for your cruise on the Allure of the Seas sailing on August 22, 2021. As long as both vaccines are from the same manufacturer, then the doses can be more than 42 days apart. You will be considered vaccinated.

Mr. Hartlin, thank you again for having contacted the Executive Office of Royal Caribbean International. We look forward to welcoming you onboard soon.

Sincerely,

Laura *****
Executive Office
Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, NateUpNorth said:

Oh I realize we can technically still sail..... but figuring out the protocols, how they'll affect the experience, how much extra $$ it'll cost for tests, what tours we can take, can we even get off the ship, when those tests will occur, can we even drive over the border to get to the port etc etc etc....... yeah, bit of a gong show. And the only consistent thing is inconsistency. As you mentioned, it'll all change several times before we sail anyway. LOL. 

Yes, definitely lots of hoops to jump through and added costs, especially for families,  if you will be considered unvaxxed.    Let's hope the cdc comes to a favorable resolution for those with mixed vaccines. 

• Like 1

A family member of mine had their 2nd Pfizer vaccine 72 days after their first Pfizer vaccine.  Not sure how to copy my FB exchange, but I just messaged Michael Bayley with this question: 

Good Afternoon, Will you please clarify...if we had our 2nd vaccine more than 72 days after the first vaccine (both vaccines were Pfizer), are we considered vaccinated or unvaccinated for the cruise?

He answered almost immediately with this:

You're considered fully vaccinated as long as you had the second dose at least 14 days prior to sailing.

I am SO IMPRESSED with his quick response, as I know he has been inundated with similar requests. Continuing to be Loyal to Royal, and counting the days  (36, to be exact) until we cruise again. 🙂 

• Like 2

dswallow - WOW - thanks for posting that!  UNBELIEVABLE. 

I just finished printing out milkman's letter from Bayley's office saying that the longer intervals between doses were ok & that we would be considered vaccinated & then the other person's Facebook (or Instagram or whatever it was) response from Bayley's office & now you posted this - it completely contradicts the other two!  How they can publicly post two totally different answers is beyond me.  I need a drink now....🤪

Thankfully, we are not going on both Celebrity & Royal till next year, and it is in the Med - but trying to follow along to see if we will be accepted.  We both had Moderna, but 75 days apart, so we shall have to see.....

Canuck

1 minute ago, CanuckCruizer said:

dswallow - WOW - thanks for posting that!  UNBELIEVABLE. 

I just finished printing out milkman's letter from Bayley's office saying that the longer intervals between doses were ok & that we would be considered vaccinated & then the other person's Facebook (or Instagram or whatever it was) response from Bayley's office & now you posted this - it completely contradicts the other two!  How they can publicly post two totally different answers is beyond me.  I need a drink now....🤪

Thankfully, we are not going on both Celebrity & Royal till next year, and it is in the Med - but trying to follow along to see if we will be accepted.  We both had Moderna, but 75 days apart, so we shall have to see.....

Canuck

SO I dont see how Mr Bayley's post contradicts the other messaging. He's talking about in general adhering to the rules. The specifics about > 42 d for same vaccines isn't contradicting any of this.

The post a couple spots up is the second post I've seen that confirms that > 42d with the same vaccine is considered vaccinated. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DHLuCruise said:

SO I dont see how Mr Bayley's post contradicts the other messaging. He's talking about in general adhering to the rules. The specifics about > 42 d for same vaccines isn't contradicting any of this.

The post a couple spots up is the second post I've seen that confirms that > 42d with the same vaccine is considered vaccinated. 

Ok - call me crazy - but he said that they were not in a position to change the government policy and while sympathetic....(can't copy the post) etc. sounds like we will not be considered "fully vaccinated" to me.

Canuck

Yes, I think we are all posting the same responses... more than 42 days between both doses of the same brand (Pfizer)... I would assume Moderna, as well, and you are considered vaccinated for purposes of cruising.  I don't think I have seen IN WRITING an official response to a particular question about this.  Most people received phone calls, or heard from some supervisor, saying more than 42 days will not be considered vaxxed.  There has been nothing in an official response, to a specific question, that I have seen, about a specific scenario, saying anything other than what M Bayley told me.