Flying with soda and champagne in your luggage

Eli_6

Has anyone ever flown with soda or champagne in their luggage? Did it explode?  I know I have had some bathroom products explode before.  I drink Dr. Pepper Zero and it isn't easy to find. Plus we won't be renting a car so I doubt I will be able to go to a convenience store or grocery store.  I drink 2-3 a day.  I can handle coke zero in a crunch, but hate Pepsi products so it is a no go on just getting the bubbles package.

I think it could be a huge mess- that said, have you checked for a drug store type place like CVS or something within walking distance of the port. I don't know what port you're using but I'm planning on visiting a drug store near the Galveston port- it's a little bit of a walk but doesn't seem that bad. Of course, I'm not sure how often you can find Dr. Pepper Zero as that's fairly specific and a little more niche market but maybe. 

If you're flying into your port of call the day before your cruise and taking an Uber or Lyft to the ship, have them briefly stop at a local grocery store on the way to the cruise.  I would obviously do my research and find out what supermarkets or stores such as Target or WalMart are between your hotel and the cruise ship, call ahead to find out if they carry Dr Pepper Zero and you would be good to go.

4 minutes ago, Jasonsterling said:

I think it could be a huge mess- that said, have you checked for a drug store type place like CVS or something within walking distance of the port. I don't know what port you're using but I'm planning on visiting a drug store near the Galveston port- it's a little bit of a walk but doesn't seem that bad. Of course, I'm not sure how often you can find Dr. Pepper Zero as that's fairly specific and a little more niche market but maybe. 

If you are sailing out of Galveston, there is a fantastic huge convenience store on Harborside Drive just off of I-45 on the right,  on your way to the cruise terminal. They cater to the last minute stops for cruisers, to get their last minute items.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Joe817 said:

If you are sailing out of Galveston, there is a fantastic huge convenience store on Harborside Drive just off of I-45 on the right,  on your way to the cruise terminal. They cater to the last minute stops for cruisers, to get their last minute items.

LOL I've stopped there when I've driven to catch my ship and you're right it's a great store- perfect gas up before heading out too. In the case of my next cruise in a couple of weeks I'm flying and taking Carnival transfers. I think there might be a drug store downtown there about six blocks or so walk. Hopefully not too far or too hot- Galveston, August, yeah it'll be too hot, lol.

3 hours ago, Jasonsterling said:

I am from Texas going to Florida.  Dr. Pepper of any kind is hard to come by after you leave Texas as I have found repeatedly.  I highly doubt that I am going to be able to find it within walking distance of the port. 

1 hour ago, Eli_6 said:

I am from Texas going to Florida.  Dr. Pepper of any kind is hard to come by after you leave Texas as I have found repeatedly.  I highly doubt that I am going to be able to find it within walking distance of the port. 

Walmart has it frequently, although Diet Dr Pepper is harder...S-i-L loves it, a bit hard for her to find around California. On the other hand, she always has a supply.

If you are flying into Florida, check Publix. Or, as mentioned, CVS, Walmart, etc.

TSA could pull your luggage aside, open it, in order to determine exactly what is inside.

That can take some time.

If you have a connecting flight possibly miss it.

A nice little note will be placed inside apologizing for the delay.

David

38 minutes ago, DAllenTCY said:

TSA could pull your luggage aside, open it, in order to determine exactly what is inside.

That can take some time.

If you have a connecting flight possibly miss it.

If TSA is opening a bag for inspection, it's being done at the origination airport, not at a domestic connection.  So any delay would impact you, with or without a connection.

TSA scanning systems have become incredibly sophisticated for luggage screening, with fewer and fewer hand-inspections of bags.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, DAllenTCY said:

So your luggage is delayed for hours.  

Do you want to take that risk for $4 worth of Dr. Pepper is my point?

And my point is that you brought that up in the context of connecting flights.  Which is an irrelevant factor.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2021 at 11:10 AM, amypintx said:

I've used these bags many times for air travel with wine with no problems. They are padded (with extra absorbent diaper like material) and ziplock. I usually put them in the middle of the luggage (not right on the edges). 

1191497831_ScreenShot2021-08-02at1_08_58PM.png.1fa57a5f26b7160f4e8af5e9d6ae52dd.png

Same as above but also called Wine Diapers...buy on Amazon.

• 3 weeks later...