New Covid Policy - Some of you will be forfeiting your $$$

I talked with RCCL for a long while today.  Once again consulting with "managers".   Under the new policy (through Dec 31) you have to get a covid test prior to boarding EVEN IF YOU ARE VACCINATED (though not for most 4 day or less sailings).

If you do not get test results for ANY reasons (lab delay, email issues, etc) you will be Denied boarding and Forfeit all all money.  No refunds, no credits. 

I would recommend that you get a rapid test (30 minute) exactly 3 days before and be ready to do some 48 hour "I feel sick" cancel if that works. 

Another case of RCCL really hating on its passengers. 

• Like 1

You're not wrong.  But it did go to a "manager" who concurred.  At this point, I would want something in writing because what will matter is what they want to do at the cruise port, where I can't keep calling until I get an answer that makes sense.

They told me that have a new guide book (like yesterday) and they were following it. 

1 minute ago, RumJunkie said:

what they want to do at the cruise port, where I can't keep calling until I get an answer that makes sense.

The port workers will likely work off a script which is unlikely to be swayed by anything you show them  

We're booked on the Ovation for September. I hope this goes away, but i doubt it. Even if everything goes well, I'm done with the Royal Group. Instead of making it easier, they just keep piling s*** on to us.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, RumJunkie said:

I talked with RCCL for a long while today.  Once again consulting with "managers".   Under the new policy (through Dec 31) you have to get a covid test prior to boarding EVEN IF YOU ARE VACCINATED (though not for most 4 day or less sailings).

If you do not get test results for ANY reasons (lab delay, email issues, etc) you will be Denied boarding and Forfeit all all money.  No refunds, no credits. 

I would recommend that you get a rapid test (30 minute) exactly 3 days before and be ready to do some 48 hour "I feel sick" cancel if that works. 

Another case of RCCL really hating on its passengers. 

I just got my clients a full refund for a sailing on August 7th because they did not agree with the testing policy. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

This is what their websites says…

If I test positive for COVID-19 right before my cruise, at the terminal, or on the cruise, what is your refund policy and what associated costs are covered?

Vaccinated guests and children not yet eligible to be vaccinated who book a Royal Caribbean International cruise that’s sailing on or before October 31, 2021 will have the following COVID-19 Assistance at no extra charge.

COVID-19 Assistance*

• 100% cruise fare refund for you, and your Travelling Party, if any of you tests positive for COVID-19 within 14 days prior to the cruise or at the boarding terminal.
  • Pro-rated cruise fare refund if your cruise is cut short for reasons related to COVID-19.
  • If you test positive for COVID-19 during the cruise, Royal Caribbean will cover the costs of COVID-19 related medical treatment onboard, any required land-based quarantine, and travel home for you and your Traveling Party.

Unvaccinated guests age 12 and older sailing from Florida homeports who booked prior to March 19, 2021 or after June 28, 2021 will not be subject to this COVID-19 Assistance, and must provide proof of travel insurance as outlined in prior to boarding.

*Last modified June 28, 2021. Subject to change. “Traveling Party” means your family members living with you in the same household and traveling companions assigned to your stateroom on the cruise. Conditioned upon compliance with the RCG COVID-19 Policies and Procedures in effect at the time of the cruise. Additional terms and conditions apply. See our COVID-19 Refund and Cancellations Policy and your Cruise Ticket Contract for details.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I just got my clients a full refund for a sailing on August 7th because they did not agree with the testing policy. 

Do you know right now how far out Royal is doing this?

6 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

We're booked on the Ovation for September. I hope this goes away, but i doubt it. Even if everything goes well, I'm done with the Royal Group. Instead of making it easier, they just keep piling s*** on to us.

I couldn't agree more.  Allow tests for those who want to do it ahead of time, but also provide testing at the pier.

• Like 3

TSERFACE

3 minutes ago, tserface said:

100% cruise fare refund for you, and your Traveling Party, if any of you tests positive for COVID-19 within 14 days prior to the cruise or at the boarding terminal.

Maybe?  But this is not about a positive test.  Its about not having test results.  Are they going to lean toward "give them their money back even if they don't provide a positive test"?   In my call to RCCL, this is what we discussed.  RCCL (maybe wrongly) said...  we keep the money, you get out of our port. 

If you check the new "before I cruise" FAQ (put up yesterday) there is a new pre-cruise tests for vaccinated travelers over 5 day cruise that has no such language. 

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/will-i-have-to-take-a-test-before-i-cruise

In my case, I am on a RCCL ship at CoCoCay 3-day prior to my "test required" cruise.  But in my barely 48 hour gap, I now (without a car) need to get a test and be 100% sure I have results or I am out thousands of dollars, at a cruise port, with no ride and no hotel until my flight back. Because, as Royal told me... my fault..?  

But your post give me hope.  If they decide "no test results" will be treated as a positive test result...  then I am just one a ruined vacation, with no place to stay, no transportation... BUT... I get my money back.  🙂

19 minutes ago, mek said:

Do you know right now how far out Royal is doing this?

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/will-i-have-to-take-a-test-before-i-cruise

As of yesterday, August 1 to December 31st sailings... click for details based on departure port.  Some appear to be indefinite.

I also complained that I am finding out about this through websites (here) and FB and not from them. RCCL insist emails were send out.  Everyone got that email right?  Wait... no one?  How odd...  🙂

Maybe if everyone raises a stink like the crystal block debacle, they’ll decide to make rapid testing for all available at the port prior to embarkation rather than have people scrambling for a means to obtain a test on their own. 
I’d be perfectly amenable to that - even if I had to pay a few bucks. 

• Like 11

If you are unvaccinated, you still have to have that 3-day test.  BUT... you also get a day of sail rapid test - which is complimentary on some cruises.   Why not offer that to vaccinated cruisers?  If you do not have test results, you get a day of sailing test complimentary or reasonable priced.

In my case, why not give me the test on the Mariner 3-days prior...?   But RCCL says no. 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, HicksRA said:

Maybe if everyone raises a stink like the crystal block debacle, they’ll decide to make rapid testing for all available at the port prior to embarkation rather than have people scrambling for a means to obtain a test on their own. 

49 minutes ago, HicksRA said:

I certainly will be calling and writing to let Royal know how unhappy I am that I have to run around at the very last minute to get a Covid test.  If this is a requirement, then they should make it easy for me.  I'm vaccinated - I've done my part.

• Like 14

24 minutes ago, RumJunkie said:

If you are unvaccinated, you still have to have that 3-day test.  BUT... you also get a day of sail rapid test - which is complimentary on some cruises.   Why not offer that to vaccinated cruisers?  If you do not have test results, you get a day of sailing test complimentary or reasonable priced.

In my case, why not give me the test on the Mariner 3-days prior...?   But RCCL says no. 

I will be in the same predicament. We get off the Freedom on December 3rd (Friday) and get on the Radiance December 5th (Sunday). At least we have a couple of months to figure this out. 

Am I understanding this correctly, they want us to get a test 3 days before the cruise?  That should be relatively easy to get it administered, but not so easy to get the results.  Walgreens, CVS, and Rite Aide all offer testing and you can even book your appointment ahead of time.  You can also go to your local hospital or Immediate Care center and get tested.  I do not know if they'll accept it, but CVS also has at-home rapid tests you can do, with results in 15 min.

It may be hard to get the results within the 3 day window, however.  I work in healthcare in a nursing home, so I get prioritized for my results.  However, even with that prioritization, depending on how many samples they send to the lab, you may not get your results back until 5 days later, if you're lucky.   The tests are usually processed in the order in which they're received, so if a lot of people send samples out for testing on the same day, the chances of getting ours back on time for a cruise are slim. 

With that in mind, I'm not sure it's feasible to have the results on Embarkation Day.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RumJunkie said:

I went into this link but so far it does not apply to me.  We are cruising October 17, 2021 from Bayonne, NJ.  I know Oasis hasn't had its test cruise yet.  I guess they are waiting for that cruise & seeing how ships are doing from other ports besides Florida.  Not all ships leave from FL.

15 minutes ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

Am I understanding this correctly, they want us to get a test 3 days before the cruise?  That should be relatively easy to get it administered, but not so easy to get the results.  Walgreens, CVS, and Rite Aide all offer testing and you can even book your appointment ahead of time.  You can also go to your local hospital or Immediate Care center and get tested.  I do not know if they'll accept it, but CVS also has at-home rapid tests you can do, with results in 15 min.

It may be hard to get the results within the 3 day window, however.  I work in healthcare in a nursing home, so I get prioritized for my results.  However, even with that prioritization, depending on how many samples they send to the lab, you may not get your results back until 5 days later, if you're lucky.   The tests are usually processed in the order in which they're received, so if a lot of people send samples out for testing on the same day, the chances of getting ours back on time for a cruise are slim. 

With that in mind, I'm not sure it's feasible to have the results on Embarkation Day.  

….just FYI….the at home tests are not accepted.  It must be from a pharmacy or lab…

• Like 1

In addition to CVS and Walgreens,  where I've had great turnaround testing and results, some airports do offer the quick testing. I agree that testing in a 3-day timeframe and results is quite tight and I'd be sitting on pins & needles when departing fir a cruise!

Perhaps the local state/county Health Dept or the Port Authority will begin offering the testing at or nearby the cruise ports.

A friend, who's a retired nurse, was recently hired to do Covid testing at the Port of Baltimore.

29 minutes ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

So in my experience it's not a crazy expectation. I tested because I had exposure. Tested PCR at 1230pm on Wed got emailed results at 130am Friday (no idea who was up still working then but I guess they were!). Parents got tested PCR at the local hospital and results were given same day. 

While it costs money, most big airports have on site testing with results in a few hours or less. You'll pay 70-170 for it but quick results and if you're flying easy access. 

• Like 2