The Daily for Tuesday August 03, 2021

richwmn

Good  morning everyone. It  is  a  cloudy  day  here  and  will  only  get  up  to  the  80's later.

I  love  watermelon  and  nuts and  will  be  happy  to  celebrate. Our  large  city  has  had  National  Night  Out  in  the  past  but  that  is  not   going  to  occur  this  year.

I  like  the  recipe  for  today  and  just  might  make  it  as  I  have  all the  ingredients. I  even  have  a  plant  based  meat  substitute  for  the  vegetarians  so  I   am  in  business. I  appreciate  the  meal  suggestions  as  I  am  running  out  of  ideas. I  am  making a  bean  and  pasta  soup now  and  it  certainly  makes  the  house  smell  great.

@aliaschief, Have  fun  with  your  packing  and  I  hope  all  goes  well on  your  trip! Exciting!

@kazu,  I  also  wish  I  was  as  thin  as  my  patience! Thank  you  for  the  usual  daily  laugh.

Enjoy  the  day  everyone  and  please  stay  safe.

Terry

• Like 18

Thank you for today's daily and care reports.

Great selection of days.

Almonds, walnuts and Brazil nuts are my favourites.

Watermelon is good for you as is a good night out preferably on a ship.

Great quote for today.

Never been to Brazil but looking forward to seeing photos.

It is currently 14.00pm 65°F and sunny in our back garden.

We had a light lunch and Pauline has gone back to her work computer at her office at home.

I have popped back outside to catch up on CC.

I hope everyone has a nice day today.

🙏 Prayers for everyone on the care list.

Graham.

16279953656884179354238573668754.jpg

• Like 27

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I love nuts, and wouldn't mind grabbing a handful of the "good nuts" they used to serve on Gala Nights.  Watermelon is so refreshing in the summer; does anyone else like their sprinkled with salt?  I didn't know what National Night Out was - thanks @1ANGELCAT for explaining.

A busy day here on the "frozen tundra" - breakfast with some retired colleagues - which will extend for a few hours, then this afternoon a pre-wedding meeting with a couple who have their ceremony scheduled for the 14th.  It's always fun getting together with engaged couples to discuss their ceremonies, wondering what they want included, or left out, watching their reactions to the vows I've created for them, etc.

Hot again today; last night at 9PM it was still +30C and didn't seem to want to cool down.  It was the first night ever that we've left the A/C on all night.  This morning it's very warm and humid, but at least there's a hope of some cooling rain this afternoon . . . will have to see how that plays out.

I like both menu suggestions, and almost started drooling when I read Roy's chilled raspberry soup; I've had it, and it really is like having dessert before dinner. Yum.  I have lots of frozen ground beef on hand, so will likely try the Instant Pot tacos for tonight - a trial run before our DGS's and their parents come for the week.  Anything that can save time away from the kitchen is good when you've got 2 little boys that can be hugged and played with instead.  Only 3 more days till we get to see them - can't wait!  So it's tacos for dinner.  And wine.

@mamaofamigood for you for finding more resources to help both Sam and your pocketbook! 

@KirkNC10 inches of rain . . . is that another tropical storm, or just summer rain?

@aliaschiefI'm getting excited for you - laundry is one step away from packing!  I have to tell you, though, I felt quite sad for those poor sweet sloths the children were holding.  I only hope they were well cared for.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.   Raising the glasses together to celebrate all on the growing happy list.  Stay well, be safe, wash your hands, wear your masks, and hydrate!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry 

• Like 29

4 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I love nuts, and wouldn't mind grabbing a handful of the "good nuts" they used to serve on Gala Nights.  Watermelon is so refreshing in the summer; does anyone else like their sprinkled with salt?  I didn't know what National Night Out was - thanks @1ANGELCAT for explaining.

A busy day here on the "frozen tundra" - breakfast with some retired colleagues - which will extend for a few hours, then this afternoon a pre-wedding meeting with a couple who have their ceremony scheduled for the 14th.  It's always fun getting together with engaged couples to discuss their ceremonies, wondering what they want included, or left out, watching their reactions to the vows I've created for them, etc.

Hot again today; last night at 9PM it was still +30C and didn't seem to want to cool down.  It was the first night ever that we've left the A/C on all night.  This morning it's very warm and humid, but at least there's a hope of some cooling rain this afternoon . . . will have to see how that plays out.

I like both menu suggestions, and almost started drooling when I read Roy's chilled raspberry soup; I've had it, and it really is like having dessert before dinner. Yum.  I have lots of frozen ground beef on hand, so will likely try the Instant Pot tacos for tonight - a trial run before our DGS's and their parents come for the week.  Anything that can save time away from the kitchen is good when you've got 2 little boys that can be hugged and played with instead.  Only 3 more days till we get to see them - can't wait!  So it's tacos for dinner.  And wine.

@mamaofamigood for you for finding more resources to help both Sam and your pocketbook! 

@KirkNC10 inches of rain . . . is that another tropical storm, or just summer rain?

@aliaschiefI'm getting excited for you - laundry is one step away from packing!  I have to tell you, though, I felt quite sad for those poor sweet sloths the children were holding.  I only hope they were well cared for.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.   Raising the glasses together to celebrate all on the growing happy list.  Stay well, be safe, wash your hands, wear your masks, and hydrate!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry 

Its actually a series of low pressure systems.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Good Morning from a very warm and humid day at the beach

Huge thunderstorm came thru yesterday afternoon, knocking out power for a short time. All my patio furniture and plants were knocked all over. A real mess but ok now. It is summer, its Florida. That is what happens. Expecting the same today.  There is suppose to be a Rocket launch this afternoon but the weather is not looking favorable.

Never been to todays port, it will be great to see pictures.  DH just suggested tacos for dinner! How funny is that???

Our night out is a walk on the beach.  

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 22

Good morning from central Texas and a typical summer day.  Today, I will tackle some paperwork and bank statements that did not get done yesterday.

We can celebrate today's days.  In our small town, National Night Out is not really celebrated, but in the past our neighbors have turned their porch lights on.  We cut up two personal, seedless watermelons yesterday, so we can celebrate watermelon day.  We both enjoy nuts, but  @grapau27Graham, you can have our Brazil nuts.  I like peanuts, almonds and pistachios best, but pecans are okay.

Today's quote is very true, and I try to improve my self.

The meal looks good and I'll keep it for another day.  Since the drink has gin, I'll pass, but the wine sounds nice even if a little more than we pay just for us.

@mamaofami Carol, you did get a lot accomplished yesterday, and it will really help you and Sam.  👍👋

@KirkNC Kirk, wow, 10 inches of rain, that sounds like a Texas rain, but more so.  🌧️

@ger_77 Gerry, my DH puts salt on his watermelon, and I read recently that doing so enhances the flavor.  Hope you get the possible rain as most of the western part of North America needs rain.  Enjoy your visit with the DGS and their parents.

@kazu Jacqui, seedless watermelons 🍉 do have seeds, but very small white ones that you don't even notice when eating them.  However, there are some seedless ones that willl have larger, black seeds.

We were in Boca de Valeria on our 2006 Amazon cruise on the old Regal Princess.  It is a very small, native village downstream from Manaus.  We were told before boarding the tenders that if we wanted to donate money, give it to the school or church, but not to the children.  Their parents would only take the money and spend it at the local watering hole.  Part of the pier where the tender docked was covered in carpet different cruise lines had given the village when they replaced carpet.

There was a dirt path from the dock up to part of the village.  Boy were we glad it was not raining that day.

IMG_0499.thumb.JPG.6371bd9f1ba2d58de49aa801dcf08b6d.JPG

Some of the locals in costumes and with different animals and birds.

IMG_0503.thumb.JPG.e39265d405674265196c3724b9839d7b.JPG

IMG_0505.thumb.JPG.8db401eea644df0cf7cdfc3ee2f2e67a.JPG

IMG_0534.thumb.JPG.120d8cdcb51faef3a85469dbcf047192.JPG

We gave this man a hat we'd brought with us

IMG_0517.thumb.JPG.e3ed192947dd7e45c5d9704ac5c5fd43.JPG

The local church

IMG_0535.thumb.JPG.c4cbb09560b475c53ef7258bc3fbaf7b.JPG

IMG_0538.thumb.JPG.7bfd491d9fa9956f4f1431837ace9582.JPG

The school which at that time had 37 students and 2 teachers

IMG_0536.thumb.JPG.42c51ab5909fe184269cadabc1986f83.JPG

IMG_0543.thumb.JPG.ff3ce97c58ce6d587d411c7a82b756b9.JPG

IMG_0521.thumb.JPG.f91f798478518cacb55cf985bde2cc68.JPG

IMG_0524.thumb.JPG.57e3cdfdfc8163f4c043a285df0005fd.JPG

We got to walk through one house.  There was also a living room with two couches.

IMG_0528.thumb.JPG.2baa3cb70cb2d4470ef5f00ca311a143.JPG

IMG_0529.thumb.JPG.0a184c38453f725a9524f26a69c281cb.JPG

IMG_0530.thumb.JPG.93d693c407b5083041119f44be88924c.JPG

Various scenes around the village

IMG_0511.thumb.JPG.9636c65fc94c86751051f9a609b08c35.JPG

IMG_0519.thumb.JPG.4662b98de4ffc7df885d09767121dcd0.JPG

IMG_0525.thumb.JPG.8876f6d9cafc291533476b05dd5cc64c.JPG

Once back on the ship, many from the village came out in these boats wanting us to throw money to them.

IMG_0547.thumb.JPG.0a7c779da8e25225704c7274a8ce9195.JPG

The view from the ship

IMG_0548.thumb.JPG.ca7bf57587912ac61c77aa8aedd4244c.JPG

Lenda

• Like 24
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good morning from central Texas and a typical summer day.  Today, I will tackle some paperwork and bank statements that did not get done yesterday.

We can celebrate today's days.  In our small town, National Night Out is not really celebrated, but in the past our neighbors have turned their porch lights on.  We cut up two personal, seedless watermelons yesterday, so we can celebrate watermelon day.  We both enjoy nuts, but  @grapau27Graham, you can have our Brazil nuts.  I like peanuts, almonds and pistachios best, but pecans are okay.

Today's quote is very true, and I try to improve my self.

The meal looks good and I'll keep it for another day.  Since the drink has gin, I'll pass, but the wine sounds nice even if a little more than we pay just for us.

@mamaofami Carol, you did get a lot accomplished yesterday, and it will really help you and Sam.  👍👋

@KirkNC Kirk, wow, 10 inches of rain, that sounds like a Texas rain, but more so.  🌧️

@ger_77 Gerry, my DH puts salt on his watermelon, and I read recently that doing so enhances the flavor.  Hope you get the possible rain as most of the western part of North America needs rain.  Enjoy your visit with the DGS and their parents.

@kazu Jacqui, seedless watermelons 🍉 do have seeds, but very small white ones that you don't even notice when eating them.  However, there are some seedless ones that willl have larger, black seeds.

We were in Boca de Valeria on our 2006 Amazon cruise on the old Regal Princess.  It is a very small, native village downstream from Manaus.  We were told before boarding the tenders that if we wanted to donate money, give it to the school or church, but not to the children.  Their parents would only take the money and spend it at the local watering hole.  Part of the pier where the tender docked was covered in carpet different cruise lines had given the village when they replaced carpet.

There was a dirt path from the dock up to part of the village.  Boy were we glad it was not raining that day.

IMG_0499.thumb.JPG.6371bd9f1ba2d58de49aa801dcf08b6d.JPG

Some of the locals in costumes and with different animals and birds.

IMG_0503.thumb.JPG.e39265d405674265196c3724b9839d7b.JPG

IMG_0505.thumb.JPG.8db401eea644df0cf7cdfc3ee2f2e67a.JPG

IMG_0534.thumb.JPG.120d8cdcb51faef3a85469dbcf047192.JPG

We gave this man a hat we'd brought with us

IMG_0517.thumb.JPG.e3ed192947dd7e45c5d9704ac5c5fd43.JPG

The local church

IMG_0535.thumb.JPG.c4cbb09560b475c53ef7258bc3fbaf7b.JPG

IMG_0538.thumb.JPG.7bfd491d9fa9956f4f1431837ace9582.JPG

The school which at that time had 37 students and 2 teachers

IMG_0536.thumb.JPG.42c51ab5909fe184269cadabc1986f83.JPG

IMG_0543.thumb.JPG.ff3ce97c58ce6d587d411c7a82b756b9.JPG

IMG_0521.thumb.JPG.f91f798478518cacb55cf985bde2cc68.JPG

IMG_0524.thumb.JPG.57e3cdfdfc8163f4c043a285df0005fd.JPG

We got to walk through one house.  There was also a living room with two couches.

IMG_0528.thumb.JPG.2baa3cb70cb2d4470ef5f00ca311a143.JPG

IMG_0529.thumb.JPG.0a184c38453f725a9524f26a69c281cb.JPG

IMG_0530.thumb.JPG.93d693c407b5083041119f44be88924c.JPG

Various scenes around the village

IMG_0511.thumb.JPG.9636c65fc94c86751051f9a609b08c35.JPG

IMG_0519.thumb.JPG.4662b98de4ffc7df885d09767121dcd0.JPG

IMG_0525.thumb.JPG.8876f6d9cafc291533476b05dd5cc64c.JPG

Once back on the ship, many from the village came out in these boats wanting us to throw money to them.

IMG_0547.thumb.JPG.0a7c779da8e25225704c7274a8ce9195.JPG

The view from the ship

IMG_0548.thumb.JPG.ca7bf57587912ac61c77aa8aedd4244c.JPG

Lenda

Thanks and great photos.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you for today's daily and care reports.

Great selection of days.

Almonds, walnuts and Brazil nuts are my favourites.

Watermelon is good for you as is a good night out preferably on a ship.

Great quote for today.

Never been to Brazil but looking forward to seeing photos.

It is currently 14.00pm 65°F and sunny in our back garden.

We had a light lunch and Pauline has gone back to her work computer at her office at home.

I have popped back outside to catch up on CC.

I hope everyone has a nice day today.

🙏 Prayers for everyone on the care list.

Graham.

16279953656884179354238573668754.jpg

Look at the bunnies!!

I used to have a pet rabbit.

• Like 7

Just now, aliaschief said:

Did anyone else not have access to CC with message site is having upgrade? I couldn’t get  log in for around 20 minutes.

Yes, had a message it was in the middle of an upgrade.  Seemed like a dumb time for an upgrade to me but what do I know?

• Like 12

Good morning all!

Another night of not so great sleep -- how I would love to be on a rocking BHB!  Also a lot going through my mind, like what changes will there be for my September cruise, and will it go???  At this point I just want to be on a ship going anywhere.  Anyone else feel the same?  @richwmnand @dfishyou may have to restrain me from sneaking onto your cruises when I see each of you next month! 

We always have a few cans of nuts in the pantry, I love almonds and peanuts especially.

I'm a weirdo, have never cared for watermelon!  Tacos sounds really good, will think about that...and have never been to Brazil, thanks for all photos!

• Like 18

1 minute ago, Cruising-along said:

Another night of not so great sleep -- how I would love to be on a rocking BHB!  Also a lot going through my mind, like what changes will there be for my September cruise, and will it go???  At this point I just want to be on a ship going anywhere.  Anyone else feel the same?  @richwmnand @dfishyou may have to restrain me from sneaking onto your cruises when I see each of you next month! 

You're welcome to join us!  We'd love to have you, but at this point, you get the balcony to sleep.  The beds and sofa bed are all spoken for.  

Hey, speaking of dinners and running out of ideas, we can always repeat.  Here's a favorite from last year.   

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/rustic-tomato-pie/

Rustic-Tomato-Pie_EXPS_FTTS20_251740_B02_13_1b-8.jpg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning!

Well I realized something overnight.  I'm rusty on managing the air conditioner.  I thought if I ran it until the sun went down and didn't open the windows, the cool air would linger.....it didn't.  I slept fitfully and it was 82 when I woke.  I will have to do what I did the night before and turn on the window fan to draw in the cooler air, that means more cigar/cigarette/pot smells, charred meat smells, and fabric softener smells from the dryer vents.  Ugh, I HATE summer!

Our days without rain streak is now the 3rd longest on record.  I so wish we could have some of that rain you are all getting.  We might get something at the end of the week, but the forecast changes hourly, so I'm less than hopeful.  The smoke from the our own wildfires and other states has been a problem now after escaping it for most of the summer.  Normally I can see Mount Rainier on clear days like this, but not today, looks overcast in that direction. 

Another challenge to my hope today: the ships without passengers list; combined with awful covid news and politicians tapdancing around the subject of more lockdowns doesn't translate into warm fuzzy feelings for the winter cruise season.  I have the same ominous feeling in my gut that I had in early 2020.  We leave for our own sailing in a month, and we are in our own personal lockdown until we sail to lessen the chances of exposure to the variant; they say I will win the lottery before becoming a breakthrough case, but I don't know, there seem to be quite a few examples of it in the news among some prominent people, and none of them mentioned being lottery winners. 

Enough of that.  Today is rubbish day so I have to get that ready to go to the curb.  And I just got back from the grocery store.  $3.99 for orange juice.  Inflation!  They are going to have to raise interest rates, at least I hope they do, my dividends at the credit union have been a pittance. 

My entire post sounds negative today, maybe I'm reading too much news. 

Have a good day everybody!

• Like 16
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, kazu said:

I guess that is what the update was for.  LOL 😂 

I still don't understand them.  Is there a link somewhere that explains them?  What does 2/14 mean?  And I'm still a boring cool cruiser 😞

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

We always have a few cans of nuts in the pantry, I love almonds and peanuts especially.

I'm a weirdo, have never cared for watermelon!  Tacos sounds really good, will think about that...and have never been to Brazil, thanks for all photos!

Oh my gosh!  Read my post for today, I have been having the same doubt.  

• Like 4