The mask debate!!

Debde

OK-so, here goes.......

I'm happy cruising has started up again. We're all talking about it and reading reviews. Just like old times. That being the case-the whole mask thing has me bummed. I even saw some pics on FB and seeing everyone in masks was a let down for me. Reading the reviews it is obvious they are enforcing it and as they should if it is the policy they implemented.

I really am ready to pull the trigger and prefer to vacation in winter months. I've had my eye on a November cruise and just lately moved my hopes to December just in case this mask thing does not go away.

I'm vaccinated. Looking forward to a vacation. Am I the only one that is waiting to see what happens??

Don't get me wrong-I am not against those who want to wear a mask or it does not bother you to wear one. I respect that. My point on posting this is, am I the lone wolf out here not booking MSC yet due to mask wearing for the vaccinated??

I know I could book NCL tomorrow but really like MSC and the yacht club. I'm thinking I can wait but if not my vacation jitters will get the best of me. Especially when the NY port opens up then I'm outa here!!! LOL

• Like 1

I agree.  I detest the idea that we may be forced to wear masks.  And then conversations will be all about the virus.  And the masks.  And other similar, tiresome topics which are the last thing I want to talk about while on a cruise.  I am actually booked with MSC for April (hoping that this mess will be over by then) but also booked for Dec with Oceania.  Our final payment is due early September so I really hope this mess resolves.

Signed, Really tired of this pandemic

• Like 1

I totally get why they are perhaps still being cautious and asking people to wear masks. I found it quite a problem on the cruise we have just disembarked from not in relation to wearing a mask myself but in being able to hear and understand what the crew were saying to me. This was particularly an issue where the English language was perhaps a little bit awkward I would normally get round that by a form of lipreading I had not realised how much I actually did that. There were several members of staff in the Yacht Club who to be honest I just could not understand what they were saying behind their masks (soft spoken and in distinct) and I got awkward constantly saying pardon are can you repeat that over and over again

• Like 2

Not crazy about masks, either, but I will wear one 100% of the time including in my cabin asleep at night if that's what it takes. I'm so sick and tired of not being able to travel, I've realized over the last year-and-a-half that travel has been good for my health and not traveling has caused massive anxiety. If wearing a mask is the price of travel, so be it. I just want to travel again, period. (that's just me...)

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Debde said:

OK-so, here goes.......

I'm happy cruising has started up again. We're all talking about it and reading reviews. Just like old times. That being the case-the whole mask thing has me bummed. I even saw some pics on FB and seeing everyone in masks was a let down for me. Reading the reviews it is obvious they are enforcing it and as they should if it is the policy they implemented.

I really am ready to pull the trigger and prefer to vacation in winter months. I've had my eye on a November cruise and just lately moved my hopes to December just in case this mask thing does not go away.

I'm vaccinated. Looking forward to a vacation. Am I the only one that is waiting to see what happens??

Don't get me wrong-I am not against those who want to wear a mask or it does not bother you to wear one. I respect that. My point on posting this is, am I the lone wolf out here not booking MSC yet due to mask wearing for the vaccinated??

I know I could book NCL tomorrow but really like MSC and the yacht club. I'm thinking I can wait but if not my vacation jitters will get the best of me. Especially when the NY port opens up then I'm outa here!!! LOL

We just came back home from MSC Grandiosa and YC. We used masks when walking inside but most of the time you are outside by the pool or sitting down eating/drinking and I found time needing to have a mask actually was very short per day. In Yacht club you get masks delivered to your suite every day! 🙂 

• Like 2

So..... I'll wear a mask on our upcoming 3night Divina cruise even though our family is vaccinated.   I'm not happy about it, but it's more important for me to cruise than worry about the mask.  And.... most of the time we will be outside or eating...(no mask)!   

Just reading posts on the other cruise line boards of how many are coming back with positive cases is a bit nerve wracking. Particularly.... Carnival,  who has no mask requirements.  Although they are starting to now....surprise, surprise!

So, I will mask up as needed and be quiet about it.... and enjoy my cruise 🙂 

As they say..... This Too Shall Pass!

Edited by SUSIEK
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, SUSIEK said:

Particularly.... Carnival,  who has no mask requirements.  Although they are starting to now....surprise, surprise!

So, I will mask up as needed and be quiet about it.... and enjoy my cruise 🙂 

As they say..... This Too Shall Pass!

They are having a great time over on the Carnival board today.

• Haha 2

I might have tended to agree, but then I just spent the last three weeks visiting in a rehab facility, where masks were required 24/7, in all locations except while eating.  (There were no covid patients or other concerns; it was just the policy.)  While it wasn't as pleasant as not wearing a mask, I got used to it quite easily.  Masks are now the least of my concerns re when and how to cruise.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Not crazy about masks, either, but I will wear one 100% of the time including in my cabin asleep at night if that's what it takes.

This made me laugh!!! Yes-we all are ready to Vaca as they say!!

Hey-Motown-I got with the program. I got vaccinated!!😏😀

• Like 3

Wearing a mask just to get from a - b on the cruise ship is a small price to pay in my book and I'm double vaccinated. Just got back from 2 cruises on the Virtuosa and I was only having to wear my mask walking round the ship to get to wherever once sat down to drink or eat its off in the theatre no one wore one. When your on deck lounging in the sun no one wore one and yet every single staff member has to wear them all the time regardless even the chef's serving hot food, the waiters serving drinks and food, the cleaning staff who have to clean the ship inside and the staff who clean the outside of the ship and it wouldn't surprise me if the staff you don't see keeping the ship running below deck for everyone to enjoy their cruise wears one all day too yet I never heard any staff moan once about it.

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, Debde said:

I got vaccinated!!

.. this was the response of a patient this morning after I told him his Covid-19 test result ..

We see increase of patients being tested positive for Covid-19 on a daily basis.

70+ percent are vaccinated patients.. some have Natural Antibodies from previous infection in addition to Spike Protein Antibodies from vaccination. Delta variant is highly contagious and spreads rapidly. I booked a 12-Night Caribbean Cruise in December 2021 and expect to wear a mask. I don’t like wearing a mask but I think it’s the right thing to do in the current situation.

Edited by SirWolf
typographical errors
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MotownVoice said:

Great.

The more people who refuse to wear masks decide not to cruise, the safer it will be for those of us who got with the program.

I don't refuse to wear a mask in situations where I am required to do so.

I refuse to spend thousands of dollars on a "vacation" where mask requiring by staff and guests is required.  

Certainly, it is your choice to spend your treasure for what you choose to do.  With the hoops that one has to jump through to even embark a cruise and then to experience additional anti-enjoyable requirements in order to enjoy a cruise vacation?  Your definition of "enjoy" seems different than mine.  

• Like 4

6 hours ago, travellerin1984 said:

We just came back home from MSC Grandiosa and YC. We used masks when walking inside but most of the time you are outside by the pool or sitting down eating/drinking and I found time needing to have a mask actually was very short per day. In Yacht club you get masks delivered to your suite every day! 🙂 

I’m just curious….so if we are seated at a table in any given lounge on ship do we have to keep the mask on and only remove when actively eating or drinking…..or can you sit down and take it off? 

My mum had the covid. My sister in law had the covid. A colleague of mine had the covid. A participant of the bootcamp training I give just every week had the covid. I'm almost fully vaccinated (second shot almost two weeks ago), but if I see what these people have been through, than I'm happy wearing a mask any day even if it is just only a minor extra protection against this virus.

• Like 4

I'm lucky to be in a country where masks haven't been politized - the vast majority of people just get on with it - understanding that in the grand scope of things it's infrequently a minor irritation at worst and something you forget you are wearing at best.   I cruised on Seaside in May, and I know I wore a mask but it's not something I would think about when remembering the cruise. 

The reality is masks are only needed when moving around the ship, though on occasion people were asked to wear one when sitting in the Haven lounge late at night and not drinking.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Debde said:

am I the lone wolf out here not booking MSC yet due to mask wearing for the vaccinated??

We had a cruise booked for this summer but because the passengers had to wear a mask we changed it to next summer. If masks are still mandatory then we will cancel the cruise and loose our deposit.

I see no reason to spend lots of money on a vacation I won't enjoy so as long as masks are required I'm out.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, kidless said:

I’m just curious….so if we are seated at a table in any given lounge on ship do we have to keep the mask on and only remove when actively eating or drinking…..or can you sit down and take it off? 

I can only say for when I was on the Virtuosa last month but if seated and not drinking then masks were off for the majority of people same in the Theatre.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

I see no reason…

To prevent you from dying of the worst global pandemic in over a hundred years. 

To prevent you from giving to your family, your friends, and literally every other individual who had the misfortune to enter the same room you’re in because even though you were fully vaccinated you could still be a carrier.  

If you’re close enough to any person that if they were smoking a cigarette you could smell the smoke, then without a mask you are close enough to die 10 days later of covid.  

Is three reasons enough?   Does that satiate your choreographed confusion about why the rest of us are gladly wearing our masks when it is suggested, while 4 or 5 of you are complaining like someone is threatening to steal your land?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

We had a cruise booked for this summer but because the passengers had to wear a mask we changed it to next summer. If masks are still mandatory then we will cancel the cruise and loose our deposit.

I see no reason to spend lots of money on a vacation I won't enjoy so as long as masks are required I'm out.

I said the same thing a few months ago.  I totally understand your view.  But I changed my mind. 

Not that I enjoyed wearing a mask shopping, at indoor restaurants or in the break room at work, but I haven’t had a cold or allergy issues all the months I masked up. When mask requirements were lifted…. I got a cold and allergies in full.   So I do think they are protective and I don’t see this virus disappearing soon. So… I choose to continue what I love doing in the safest way possible.  Life is short. 

We are sailing Sept. 30 on Divina out of Port Canaveral. It’s 3nights, 2hours from my front door and my 55 birthday.   And we got a fantastic deal on 2 connected balcony cabins. 

Seems like MSC is doing it right. I don’t think they will be canceling sailings as other lines are doing right now.  

I have some very pretty masks I will be sporting (when required) 😷

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Cruiseforever11 said:

I can only say for when I was on the Virtuosa last month but if seated and not drinking then masks were off for the majority of people same in the Theatre.  

They announced could we keep our masks on in the theatre in Virtuosa last week but we were in the minority in complying with that request

• Like 1

My wife has immune system issues so she is, and has been, very much pro-mask. I sing professionally and am also an athlete, so being able to breathe deeply and quickly is very important to me. Without intending to give offense to anyone, since we are all different and our circumstances aren't the same, I say the following:

Wearing a mask while singing or running is impossible FOR ME. I'm not saying you can't find athletes or singers who are okay wearing a mask while doing these things, BUT I CAN'T. Please don't lecture me with "but I've seen singers who are just fine with masks," because hey, great for them, but they don't work for me. I've tried, and it either causes me to pass out or I can't sing properly.

Now, having said that, since my wife wants me to wear a mask when we go out, I do. I also wear one whenever it's required by law or when a private business says I must. If it's optional for fully vaccinated people, which I am, then I don't. When we travel for our cruise, I plan to pack multiple masks and wear them when they're required. If they aren't, then I won't. Given the current state of Covid-19, I can't really see going anywhere on any vacation that masks won't be a factor. But maybe others live in places (or travel to them) where mask-wearing is optional, such as those who go camping and/or to national parks. (that's not my thing, to me there's a world of difference between sipping cappuccino in Rome vs being alone in Yosemite National Park, so it's an apples vs oranges comparison, but I'm sure there are people who are fine with either; I'm not.) So I/we will continue to mask up when necessary, including on cruise ships, for as long as necessary. If others draw the line there, good for them. That gives me and my wife more space to move around. 😉 I hope everyone enjoys whatever vacation/holiday brings them joy.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, SUSIEK said:

I said the same thing a few months ago.  I totally understand your view.  But I changed my mind. 

Not that I enjoyed wearing a mask shopping, at indoor restaurants or in the break room at work, but I haven’t had a cold or allergy issues all the months I masked up. When mask requirements were lifted…. I got a cold and allergies in full.   So I do think they are protective and I don’t see this virus disappearing soon. So… I choose to continue what I love doing in the safest way possible.  Life is short. 

We are sailing Sept. 30 on Divina out of Port Canaveral. It’s 3nights, 2hours from my front door and my 55 birthday.   And we got a fantastic deal on 2 connected balcony cabins. 

Seems like MSC is doing it right. I don’t think they will be canceling sailings as other lines are doing right now.  

I have some very pretty masks I will be sporting (when required) 😷

Agree they do know what they are doing and MSC have been sailing before the vaccinations even started back in Aug 2020 and that's why before Nov this year they are on target to have half their fleet cruising again because of their protocols.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, kidless said:

My experience from Grandiosa is that you could sit down and remove the mask. I think most of the people kept the masks on when watching a show without drinking but it was definitely ok to take off mask when you are waiting for your drink/food.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2021 at 12:04 PM, Debde said:

OK-so, here goes.......

we gonna cancel out cruise on Monday. I am not wearing mask on board. 

• Like 3