Live and life from Nieuw Amsterdam's third Alaska sailing

Copper10-8

14 hours ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

New bag ??

That's the original Club Orange bag! Perhaps they purchased too many and are attempting to pawn them off on unsuspecting Neptune cabin pax.............🙃

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, aliaschief said:

John really a rock star? How about an old coot

John, A rock star? How about an old coot who has visible signs of gravity displasia! Another great night in Nami Sushi!

Me and stud muffin ( she’s still pondering over that) really enjoyed our evening with you and Maria.

So far the cruise is as one remembers except mask. As we are getting closer to Juneau the scenery is picking up. A cooler 56 degrees this morning. See you out and about!

I was comparing you to Mick Jagger! Heard you dance like him............;) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Copper10-8 said:

Typical Mex fare; chicken enchiladas, arroz and frijoles! Muy rico! 🙂 

Pero, muy bueno?

Is Tracey Crab Shack really THAT good as some say?  We had king crab in Norway and it was very expensive but very good too.  It was $50 for a 4-6 inch piece (depending on the width) and a roll.

9 hours ago, 57redbird said:

Looks like the same BB King group (Carlos, Charise, etc.) we had on our cruise.....loved them!  

They're awesome, aren't they? Playing for a packed house two nights in a row so far. They're dark tonight 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Senior Citizen said:

Pero, muy bueno?

Is Tracey Crab Shack really THAT good as some say?  We had king crab in Norway and it was very expensive but very good too.  It was $50 for a 4-6 inch piece (depending on the width) and a roll.

I personally don't think it's the best crab I've ever had but it's got a good reputation and you've got to break bread there at least once while visiting Joe's town just to say you've done it

• Like 5

6 hours ago, idiebabe said:

Bruce, how was the Mask requirement in BB King.  Were they required in there?  How about the other Lounges like Billboard?

Thanks!

Our experience has been that (most) everybody walks in there wearing a mask and finds a seat and/or remains standing because it has been packed except for the last/10:30 set. Having said that, masks tend to disappear when adult beverages are purchased because it's hard to consume same while wearing that face covering. Folks have been dancing in there, a lot, because the band/vocalists is/are so good and we've seen those folks cutting that rug both with and without wearing a mask

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

That's the original Club Orange bag! Perhaps they purchased too many and are attempting to pawn them off on unsuspecting Neptune cabin pax.............🙃

When they introduced CO we always got this bag in Neptunes. Worthy of keeping vs the others!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Our experience has been that (most) everybody walks in there wearing a mask and finds a seat and/or remains standing because it has been packed except for the last/10:30 set. Having said that, masks tend to disappear when adult beverages are purchased because it's hard to consume same while wearing that face covering. Folks have been dancing in there, a lot, because the band/vocalists is/are so good and we've seen those folks cutting that rug both with and without wearing a mask

Thanks, John!  😀

• Like 1

So, catching up............Sunday morning came and we both had an excellent sleep experience prob because of the rocking Mar Pacifico and somewhat high winds for most of the night/early morning. We chose to have a leisurely breakfast inside the Pinnacle Grill (open until 0930 hrs on this sea day). Maria had some type of oatmeal concoction (really good per her description) while I had Eggs Benedict/no sauce, we each had some Greek yoghurt and a cuppa tea. 

Post breakfast we took a good look at the merchandize inside the shops which was "interesting" I now know what Chicos is/are. They still have the ceramic HAL cruise ships but no longer the dark blue coffee mugs, i.e. the ones that say Dam Ships and/or have the ship silhouette and name on them. Rummy me left his Icy Strait Point mouse pad inside our room at the Seattle Embassy Suites but the shops didn't sell any of those doohickeys but hey, guess where we'll be on Tue PM? 😉 

For the remainder of the late morning and afternoon, we did pretty much, well, nada except placing ourselves in some sort of relaxed vegetative state. Both lunch and dinner were consumed inside the Lido Restaurant

Sunday night was the first of two "Gala" nights. For the last two cruises I have not brought a suit for those nights, choosing instead to wear slacks and a colored shirt sans tie. For this journey however, dark suit, two dress shirts and two cravats were packed. I wore one combo for that first Gala and looked like someone from GQ magazine (just kiddin') Maria always looks dressed to the nines, I'm just the thorn that accompanies the rose! We actually did see one gent wearing a tux, several in suits (or sports coat) and ties, and most with sports coats and open collard shirts/no ties.

Post dinner, we made our way to the second/9:00 PM show for the One Step Dance Company (three female and three male dancers who were awesome incl. Becka D. who I had the pleasure of working with on Zuiderdam and have now seen two more times as a pax) in their show called "Humanity." Basically a very high energy dance show utilizing Nieuw A's technical features such as projecting fresh splashed paint in multiple colors on a very large background, go go dancers, a dancer "caught" inside a moving trapezoid, etc. Excellent show and music!

We finished up the night inside our usual location of choice, the BB Kings nightclub

IMG_4633.JPG

IMG_4634.JPG

IMG_4635.JPG

IMG_4636.JPG

IMG_4639.JPG

IMG_4640.JPG

IMG_4644.JPG

IMG_4645.JPG

IMG_4646.JPG

IMG_4648.JPG

IMG_4649.JPG

IMG_4650.JPG

IMG_4652.JPG

IMG_4651.JPG

IMG_4654.JPG

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

We got one on our back to back on Oosterdam in December 2019 when in a Neptune.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Today when talking to our great concierge Hector he told us he is the first one to be assigned permanent Neptune Lounge concierge. There will be no more rotation between Front Desk and Neptune. Hector is from Columbia and is a keeper.

That is great news 👍 

We’ve had Hector and completely agree - he is definitely a keeper 🙂 

10 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

We were given that bag in a Neptune on Nieuw Statendam in April 2019, our last HAL cruise BC.🥲

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, kazu said:

That is great news 👍 

We’ve had Hector and completely agree - he is definitely a keeper 🙂 

We had Hector once in the Neptune Lounge.  Very personable and right on top of things.  Glad to hear he will be doing this full time.  He is awesome !!!

48 minutes ago, crzr said:

We had Hector once in the Neptune Lounge.  Very personable and right on top of things.  Glad to hear he will be doing this full time.  He is awesome !!!

Glad to hear that HAL finally got smart and made that a permanent postion.  In the past, the Neptune staff have been friendly, but not always as well informed as they should have been,

• Like 1