Will the current lockdowns impact the restart of cruising here?

43 minutes ago, lissie said:

Basically because it will be full of NZers. I don't mind my fellow countrypeople - but I'm bloody bored with them after 18 months!   All I want to do  is arrive somewhere foreign (by plane, boat, transporter beam) and be surrounded by a foreign language, people who don't look like me and food I don't know the names of!  

By PD did you mean Port Douglas? If so don't expect to get away from fellow NZers there. There are always plenty of Kiwis enjoying the warm winter weather there. 😁

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

By PD did you mean Port Douglas? If so don't expect to get away from fellow NZers there. There are always plenty of Kiwis enjoying the warm winter weather there. 😁

I suspect she has visited Port Douglas many times in the winter. The Kiwi accent is often heard at Main Beach

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yup Port Douglas -  the only Kiwi accents there now are expats - I moved our trip from Aug to Oct but I'm not optimistic 

4 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I suspect she has visited Port Douglas many times in the winter. The Kiwi accent is often heard at Main Beach

Actually the last time we were there was 2007 - getting our 4WD serviced after a trip to Cape York - as part of a big 3/4 lap Brisbane-Perth via Tassie 

We normally travel - not just holiday on a beach. But 2019 we were "locked down" because of my partner's health - 2018 we spent 6 weeks in Borneo and the Philippines. Having finally got my partner retired and I have my own business we were supposed to be out of NZ 3 months a year over winter (Min) . Its been a disaster so far 

26 minutes ago, lissie said:

Yup Port Douglas -  the only Kiwi accents there now are expats - I moved our trip from Aug to Oct but I'm not optimistic 

We used to go to PD regularly before we started cruising. We always bumped into Kiwis round the pool at the apartments we stayed at.

NZ have announced today that their border will remain closed until early 2022, with a phased re-opening. Think that puts paid to my NZ Subantarctic expedition starting at Christmas....

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news/new-zealand-will-remain-closed-to-international-travellers-until-2022?fbclid=IwAR0RfhV2XRKCioYOjYpDGj9H0sejZBaTqH9DbyX4n9uNtGjC-u5XQHcWV6g

2 hours ago, parischris said:

NZ have announced today that their border will remain closed until early 2022, with a phased re-opening. Think that puts paid to my NZ Subantarctic expedition starting at Christmas....

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news/new-zealand-will-remain-closed-to-international-travellers-until-2022?fbclid=IwAR0RfhV2XRKCioYOjYpDGj9H0sejZBaTqH9DbyX4n9uNtGjC-u5XQHcWV6g

I’m so sorry. 

Queensland 7

Victoria 15

New South Wales 390 😭

I can't see NSW getting this outbreak under control in time for a decision on a cruise restart out of Sydney.

Queensland might get the chance to try out it's new cruise terminal though but may be embarkations may restricted to local Queenslanders. 

• Like 1

Even IF all things go to plan with vaccinations and case numbers etc ... NSW is saying end of November for the relevent level of restrictions lifted / reconsidered, and Royal Caribbean is selling coastal cruises  from mid-December, and in the US they require 14 days ship quarantines - so following the logic, the timing just doesnt align. At what point will the line be drawn? Speculation is fun huh

23 minutes ago, brett_and_ciel said:

Even IF all things go to plan with vaccinations and case numbers etc ... NSW is saying end of November for the relevent level of restrictions lifted / reconsidered, and Royal Caribbean is selling coastal cruises  from mid-December, and in the US they require 14 days ship quarantines - so following the logic, the timing just doesnt align. At what point will the line be drawn? Speculation is fun huh

My guess is the line will be drawn end of September. Final payment dates are a the end of the first week in October for the first of the currently listed Princess cruises departing various ports around 20th December. I'm not sure about the Royal Caribbean dates though.

Princess has been very good so far at cancelling cruises before final payment dates. It makes sense as that way there is then less money they would have to refund. So endvof September will be the crunch time. I very much doubt the NSW outbreak will be over by then. The NSW government seems determined to keep the lockdown too soft and full of loopholes.

30 minutes ago, Thecat123 said:

Seabourn have a sailing from Sydney to NZ 5th Dec 2022

I might be able to use our 6 days from where our cruise was cut short last year towards the payment

I doubt it will happen. They'll either cancel all their Aus/NZ itineraries or change them to operate Australian-only ones. Still, if you can use an FCC as the deposit, like I've done with a Xmas/NY Princess booking, it wouldn't hurt to book it. Just don't outlay any more money.

Seabourn wants us to book a cruise by 31st Dec 2022 and sail by then to get the FCC so still have lots of time

Seabourn have already changed the book by date by one year so that date could change again

Edited by Thecat123

1 hour ago, Thecat123 said:

Seabourn wants us to book a cruise by 31st Dec 2022 and sail by then to get the FCC so still have lots of time

Seabourn have already changed the book by date by one year so that date could change again

Most of the major cruise lines seem to be extending those dates, plus are usually helpful in getting one extended if you have a booking on hold that is outside the current expiry date, which happened to us when we booked a 2023 Princess cruise.

It is becoming exceedingly difficult to cruise ships returning this season.

As the major cruise port in Australia, the chances are rapidly going backwards. 466 today.

The Premier predicting very difficult times for September and October. If they are the peak months, the recovery time is many months after that.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Within a week I reckon

I hope not.

Looking at the historical numbers it seems to double every two weeks (approx) so maybe two weeks 😢.

I live in a little suburb in the outskirts of north west Sydney, feel very safe here, until our little Woolies was identified last night as a place an infected person had been. And yep, i was there, so even though I haven’t been formally notified as yet, I went and was tested this morning. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Most of the major cruise lines seem to be extending those dates, plus are usually helpful in getting one extended if you have a booking on hold that is outside the current expiry date, which happened to us when we booked a 2023 Princess cruise.

Our FCC's were book and cruise by 30-12-2022 and our cruise is 30-04-2023, the Sydney office has to fill out a FCC extension request for each guest and it is usually approved in 24 hrs or less. This is what happened for our group of 6, 3 cabins.

23 minutes ago, gogo65 said:

I hope not.

Looking at the historical numbers it seems to double every two weeks (approx) so maybe two weeks 😢.

I live in a little suburb in the outskirts of north west Sydney, feel very safe here, until our little Woolies was identified last night as a place an infected person had been. And yep, i was there, so even though I haven’t been formally notified as yet, I went and was tested this morning. 

It took 30 days to reach the first 1000 cases (total) in the Sydney outbreak.

9 days for the next 1000.

5 days for the next 1000.

4 days for the next 1000.

3 days for the latest 1000.

It's not looking good. 🙁

• Thanks 1