Summit Cruises Canceled

lv2cruisgrl

2 minutes ago, AbbyCruiser45 said:

That was my original interpretation but @TeeRick clarified that the clock starts running once in the US, which is unfortunate because an empty ship is an empty ship. 

Actually I did not clarify when the clock starts.  Sorry for this. As @Jeremiah1212 states it is subject to some confusion.

• Like 1

I guess what's sad is that X should have anticipated this if they planned to follow the CSO, and not have waited to cause additional inconvenience to the passengers on these early Summit Caribbean sailings.  Should have dealt with this as soon as it became obvious that these sailings weren't going to happen, and one would imagine that would have been MANY months ago... unless there were negotiations going on behind the scenes that failed.

Edited by canderson
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

The Apex will have to wait a minimum of 14 days and get the required paperwork approved after it reaches the USA from Greece.  That is probably a given.  Unless the CSO expires.

We’re booked on the Apex on the Nov 4th Caribbean sailing out of FTL. So we’ll just sit over in the peanut gallery to see how this all plays out and hope for the best! 😎

• Like 2

1 hour ago, canderson said:

I guess what's sad is that X should have anticipated this if they planned to follow the CSO, and not have waited to cause additional inconvenience to the passengers on these early Summit Caribbean sailings.  Should have dealt with this as soon as it became obvious that these sailings weren't going to happen, and one would imagine that would have been MANY months ago... unless there were negotiations going on behind the scenes that failed.

Don't get me wrong, I am NOT happy at all that they've cancelled these cruises.  Jumping through hoops at the moment to get flights back to the US since the repo on August 28th was cancelled.  But I'm not sure that X could have anticipated this and even if they did, I'd like to think they've been fighting to keep the cruises in place.  I've never thought they wanted to cancel cruises, even with lower capacities.  So much that doesn't make sense any longer....

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

The Apex will have to wait a minimum of 14 days and get the required paperwork approved after it reaches the USA from Greece.  That is probably a given.  Unless the CSO expires.

I'm interested in the response on this one. The CSO wouldn't expire until 10/31. Currently there is no room in the schedule for a 14 day hold unless several sailings are canceled or the TA cancels since it is exactly 14 nights. TA is scheduled to arrive on 10/24 and immediately does a 3 and a 4 night, then a press cruise and the naming ceremony before the resuming normal cruises on 11/4. If the CSO is not extended somehow or Celebrity says they are no longer complying with all parts of it, I suppose they could say the 14 day hold doesn't apply to the 11/4 sailing since it is after the expiry date of the CSO. 

It's really a big guessing game at this point. 

The actual framework document, in the Federal Register and around 40 pages, had restrictions on cruises operating outside of the US and their ability to return to operations in the US. That goes back to October of 2020. I'm not in the mood to search through that right now, and I'm not sure the language is as clear as a 14 day quarantine. There was also language in the No Sail Order to the same effect. I'd argue that some of this could have been predicted by Celebrity, but with vaccinations coming on line and doing so well in the spring, they may have been overly optimistic on the order be withdrawn before it expires.

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Agree!  Where/when did the CDC come up with this?  It has not been applied to date on EDGE sailings.  I wonder if it will apply to Alaska sailings since they go to US ports only but travel through international waters (Canada).

This is very suspicious.       Is it possible that large numbers of Canadians were booked on these cruises and because of the vax acceptance issues they are cancelling in droves and Celebrity is making a business decision?

I don't want to believe that but it is certainly a possibility.   Of course,  the uncertainty about the Delta variant and breakout cases amongst fully vaxxed individuals may be driving the CDC to tighten the grip even further.

Another disaster unfolding before our eyes?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Host Anne said:

I just got the same email, too.  This makes absolutely NO sense since EVERYONE on this ship will have been vaccinated!  You can't even say that for Edge or Equinox since only 95% have to be vaccinated.  The statement from the CDC about traveling in international waters contradicts everything since Edge and Equinox (and multiple other cruise lines) are sailing in international waters and returning to the US with passengers!

It's time to start writing.  This is unfair to Celebrity and all the guests traveling!

My feeling is it’s any ship that has ported in international waters & then moves to a US port must follow these guidelines. My argument is WHY Did Celebrity wait so long to advise us. The sailings referenced have been removed from their site for a few weeks now. 

1 hour ago, SplashOfWater said:

Was there a 60-day period between Millennium's last St. Maarten cruise and the first Alaska cruise? Wouldn't the same rule apply?

It would have been 14 days, not 60. I don't recall the exact amount of time but there was a pretty sizable gap between the last SXM sailing and the first Alaska sailing on Millennium.

• Like 1

Edge and Equinox are both sailing in international waters and porting in foreign ports.  None of this is making any sense.  Summit is probably the safest Celebrity ship sailing since everyone has to be vaccinated AND tested! 

14 minutes ago, markeb said:

The actual framework document, in the Federal Register and around 40 pages, had restrictions on cruises operating outside of the US and their ability to return to operations in the US. That goes back to October of 2020. I'm not in the mood to search through that right now, and I'm not sure the language is as clear as a 14 day quarantine. There was also language in the No Sail Order to the same effect. I'd argue that some of this could have been predicted by Celebrity, but with vaccinations coming on line and doing so well in the spring, they may have been overly optimistic on the order be withdrawn before it expires.

Given all the hoorah about 72 hours vs 3 days for testing, I thinking it’s a given that Celebrity’s email is somehow poorly worded. I think going back to the CSO is likely an exercise in futility.

3 minutes ago, Host Anne said:

Edge and Equinox are both sailing in international waters and porting in foreign ports.  None of this is making any sense.  Summit is probably the safest Celebrity ship sailing since everyone has to be vaccinated AND tested! 

I am confused - wasn’t the Summit under the 95% vaccinated , not 100%. With you Anne- none  of this makes sense.

8 minutes ago, Josie201 said:

Isn't every port an international port and aren't all waters international? 

My thoughts too.  Don't all the  big cruise  ships sail in international waters?

Seems odd and confusing . Seems like CDC getting more out of control every time we turn around,  and seems to particularly dislike cruise industry.

Really stinks for those with cancelled cruises. Sorry guys

Guess we have to check where Reflection will be before our Jan 2022 cruise..

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Josie201 said:

Isn't every port an international port and aren't all waters international? 

Perhaps a distinction between an international port and an international “home port” as St. Maarten has been?  Who knows?!

so sorry for those who’ve received this notice.

9 minutes ago, bandp407 said:

I am confused - wasn’t the Summit under the 95% vaccinated , not 100%. With you Anne- none  of this makes sense.

No....Summit is sailing roundtrip from St. Maarten at the moment so not under the FL law that states you can't ask about vaccinations.  So they've been sailing with 100% vaccinated crew and passengers since she began sailing in June.  

1 minute ago, bama4cruisin said:

Perhaps a distinction between an international port and an international “home port” as St. Maarten has been?  Who knows?!

so sorry for those who’ve received this notice.

That is the only interpretation that makes sense, else ALL cruises out of a U.S. port would be equally impacted. They all hit either another country's (Alaskan cruises) or international waters somewhere.

2 hours ago, lovrccl said:

Just go this email

ABOUT YOUR UPCOMING TRAVELS

Dear Guest,

We are reaching out to provide an update on the status of your 2021 cruise vacation. Celebrity Cruises has been working closely with health and government authorities, in each country we sail from, to outline a clear path for cruising with new health and safety measures. As we continue our return to service with sailings arriving and departing from the United States, we are also ensuring alignment with guidance provided by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). The CDC has currently advised any ship returning to the US after having traveled in international waters may not sail with guests onboard for at least 14 days. Due to this necessary requirement we will be cancelling the Celebrity Summit® sailings of August 28, 2021, September 2, 2021, September 6, 2021 and September 11, 2021.

At this time, we would like to offer you the choice of being re-accommodated on another Caribbean cruise or a 100% Refund. From now through August 17, you have the option of rescheduling your cruise vacation to any Caribbean sailing aboard Celebrity Summit departing between September 16, 2021 and October 30,2021. Just contact us or your travel partner for details and your reservation will be shifted at the same daily rate including any promotion you currently have on the booking. Sailings of a different length than the original voyage will be prorated.

Please note, all Celebrity Cruises ships will sail with a vaccinated crew and at least 95% of guests fully vaccinated. Guests 12 years and older must be fully vaccinated with all COVID-19 vaccine doses administered at least 14 days prior to sailing. For details on our current health and safety protocols please visit  www.healthyatsea.com.

If you are unable to rebook by August 17, you will automatically receive a 100% refund to your original method of payment. Cruise taxes and fees will be refunded separately within 30 days of cancellation. No action is required on your part to receive this refund.

If you have pre-booked any shore excursions, beverage, internet, specialty dining or other onboard packages, through Celebrity Cruise Planner, you will be refunded in full to your original method of payment. Guests with independent arrangements should contact their tour operators as soon as possible. Guests with air travel and hotel booked through Flights by Celebrity will be refunded automatically. You will not need to call in to initiate the process. Guests with independent air arrangements need to contact their air carriers directly to make all required cancellations.

First and always, please take care of yourselves and your family. Thank you for your patience and understanding as we work through these unique circumstances. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Celebrity Cruises at 1-844-418-6824 in North America or (316) 554-5961 worldwide. We look forward to welcoming you aboard soon for an amazing Celebrity Cruises vacation.

Sincerely,

Celebrity Cruises

" The CDC has currently advised any ship returning to the US after having traveled in international waters may not sail with guests onboard for at least 14 days. "

Why only Summit?

doesnt this apply to ALL ships since they travel in intl waters???

Edited by fstuff1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, canderson said:

That is the only interpretation that makes sense, else ALL cruises out of a U.S. port would be equally impacted. They all hit either another country's (Alaskan cruises) or international waters somewhere.

Still makes no sense.