Drink Vouchers for Diamond

jrapps

I've read some conflicting things on this, hoping someone here can help clarify.

My wife and I are both Emerald now, but with the double-points perks we will both be Diamond by the end of this year. We have a 7-day cruise on the Oasis booked for March 2022. While on that cruise, will each of us get 4 Drink Vouchers each day (so 28 total per person)? I read on this forum that it was 4 for Diamond, but on Royal's site I read it was 3 per day.

Also, can they still be used at any time during the day, or must they be used during a specific time window? And each one expires at the end of each day, so no rollover, right?

I realize perks can change before then, just curious what it says as of now.

Thanks!

The 3 vouchers per day was an extension of the Diamond Lounge happy hour by allowing one to get 3 house beverages at other bars (but often excluding restaurants).

This new system, which supplants the prior one, allows for any beverage up to $13, so you're not stuck with house wine or cheap liquor. (One can pay the delta above that, too, which wasn't possible before.) You can find the program updates here.

Edited by Daghis
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, jrapps said:

I've read some conflicting things on this, hoping someone here can help clarify.

My wife and I are both Emerald now, but with the double-points perks we will both be Diamond by the end of this year. We have a 7-day cruise on the Oasis booked for March 2022. While on that cruise, will each of us get 4 Drink Vouchers each day (so 28 total per person)? I read on this forum that it was 4 for Diamond, but on Royal's site I read it was 3 per day.

Also, can they still be used at any time during the day, or must they be used during a specific time window? And each one expires at the end of each day, so no rollover, right?

Thanks!

Yes it's 4 a day use them or lose them.  They don't carryover

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, jrapps said:

We have a 7-day cruise on the Oasis booked for March 2022. While on that cruise, will each of us get 4 Drink Vouchers each day (so 28 total per person)?

Yes. I wouldn't think of it in terms of total though. You get 4 per day.

I read on this forum that it was 4 for Diamond, but on Royal's site I read it was 3 per day.

This is a new-ish development. People say its because of cost cutting, but RCCL says its because of crowding in the Diamond Lounge. Personally, I'm a fan of the new system of 4 per day with a $13 limit. 

Also, can they still be used at any time during the day, or must they be used during a specific time window?

Any time per day with the new system

27 minutes ago, jrapps said:

And each one expires at the end of each day, so no rollover, right?

Correct, which is why I don't recommend you think in terms of total drinks for the vacation. If you only use 2 on Monday, you don't get 6 for Tuesday.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, jrapps said:

Thanks!

I've also heard one of the new parts of this change is if you do get drinks in the Diamond Club,  you have to use your vouchers so you can't just push back unlimited gin & tonics or whatever.  That could be the cost cutting part because there were a lot of people really using the old system by drinking a bunch, taking bottles of water and soda with them to their room, grabbing extra glasses of wine or whatever on the way out of the club, etc.  At least with this system the cruise line has some idea of quantity control.

I think I will really like the new system.  We'll get 5 drinks a day which I figure is a couple of good drinks, a wine for dinner, a bottle of water, and maybe a good coffee (although I'm hoping the  machine in the Diamond Club for coffee is still available).  Anyway, that more than covers my needs and I won't have to get an extra drink package.  I think this is a great loyalty perk.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, tserface said:

I've also heard one of the new parts of this change is if you do get drinks in the Diamond Club,  you have to use your vouchers so you can't just push back unlimited gin & tonics or whatever.  That could be the cost cutting part because there were a lot of people really using the old system by drinking a bunch, taking bottles of water and soda with them to their room, grabbing extra glasses of wine or whatever on the way out of the club, etc.  At least with this system the cruise line has some idea of quantity control.

I think I will really like the new system.  We'll get 5 drinks a day which I figure is a couple of good drinks, a wine for dinner, a bottle of water, and maybe a good coffee (although I'm hoping the  machine in the Diamond Club for coffee is still available).  Anyway, that more than covers my needs and I won't have to get an extra drink package.  I think this is a great loyalty perk.

Agree,  that should be an adequate perk.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

With the Drinks package you still have to pay the extra over $13 plus gratuity per drink.

My understanding is that you need to pay the amount over $13 per drink regardless if it is a Drink Package, or the Diamond Drink Vouchers. is that right?

For me, the diamond vouchers are more than enough. We are not big drinkers...got a drink package once on a cruise and I had to work at it to get my money's worth. I will get a beer or 2 during the day by the pool, maybe one cocktail, and a glass of wine with dinner. Even if I got 1-2 more each day above that, no way I would drink enough to warrant a drink package.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, jrapps said:

My understanding is that you need to pay the amount over $13 per drink regardless if it is a Drink Package, or the Diamond Drink Vouchers. is that right?

For me, the diamond vouchers are more than enough. We are not big drinkers...got a drink package once on a cruise and I had to work at it to get my money's worth. I will get a beer or 2 during the day by the pool, maybe one cocktail, and a glass of wine with dinner. Even if I got 1-2 more each day above that, no way I would drink enough to warrant a drink package.

You can also get unlimited water bottles and freshly squeezed OJ with the package and not have to pay extra to get them.  Also specialty coffees are included just not at Starbucks.  

3 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

You can also get unlimited water bottles and freshly squeezed OJ with the package and not have to pay extra to get them.  Also specialty coffees are included just not at Starbucks.  

Yes, but I can get a Refreshment Package for less than half of the alcohol one if I think I will also get juices, coffee's, and waters each day on top of the 4 alcoholic drinks that already come with being Diamond.

12 minutes ago, jrapps said:

Yes that is right.

Before covid19 Diamond and above could have unlimited drinks in the Diamond Lounge usually from 5.30pm until 8.30pm from a limited drinks menu as well as 3 drinks from the diamond drinks menu in other bars during 5.30pm till 8.30pm.

Certain drinks like Sauvignon Blanc,Pina Colada etc were not on the list so the new way which I suggested on a previous thread to reduce Diamond Lounge overcrowding pre covid19 is excellent as we are not restricted to the Diamond menu and don't mind paying a little to get the drinks we want.

Diamond plus get 5 drinks.

Pinnacle get 6 drinks.

1 minute ago, jrapps said:

Yes, but I can get a Refreshment Package for less than half of the alcohol one if I think I will also get juices, coffee's, and waters each day on top of the 4 alcoholic drinks that already come with being Diamond.

True -- you can get a refreshment package for much less. In order to break even with the alcohol drink package, you would have to drink at least 5 or 6 drinks a day  -- so in your case it is probably not worth it especially with the 4 free diamond drinks a day.  For me, 4 free drinks a day is plenty so I will not be buying any drink package. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Want2Cruise 701 said:

Can the vouchers still be used in the MDR?  Are they loaded on your card for use on embarkation day?   TIA!

They can be used anywhere.

It's not certain if the new set up  is a temporary measure because of covid19 social distancing.

Edited by grapau27

11 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Yes that is right.

Before covid19 Diamond and above could have unlimited drinks in the Diamond Lounge usually from 5.30pm until 8.30pm from a limited drinks menu as well as 3 drinks from the diamond drinks menu in other bars during 5.30pm till 8.30pm.

Certain drinks like Sauvignon Blanc,Pina Colada etc were not on the list so the new way which I suggested on a previous thread to reduce Diamond Lounge overcrowding pre covid19 is excellent as we are not restricted to the Diamond menu and don't mind paying a little to get the drinks we want.

Diamond plus get 5 drinks.

Pinnacle get 6 drinks.

I totally agree that the new system is a much better one.  The unlimited wines in the Diamond Lounge were rot gut and not worth drinking -- the menu was very limited.  I like that we can order any drink under $13.  Much better system!  AND we have the added bonus that allows us to get the drinks anytime during the day and not restricted to the Happy Hour hours. 

Edited by livingonthebeach
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

I really hope this becomes permanent as it is a better solution, IMO.

I think it's better for the cruise line as well so I wouldn't be surprised to see it stay, perhaps with some refinements.  Doing the elaborate parties in the Diamond Club at night is very expensive and kind of a logistical nightmare.  A lot of people couldn't fit in as there are often a lot of Diamond and Diamond+ cruisers on each sailing.  There were frustrations because seating was limited, or reserved and people often stayed for a really long time since they could continue drinking.  I think they are hoping that people stay at the parties for shorter durations (if at all).  There were also a lot of people who got mad when they couldn't bring others in their group to the parties (non-Diamond), so now those people can enjoy their drinks anywhere else with their friends.

I think the people who will really miss out are the bar staff in the Diamond Club.  My guess is they were making a lot on tips for those parties.

We also enjoyed the banter with other cruisers we met at the parties.  The appetizers were good, but its not like you go hungry on a ship and, frankly, there were nights we had trouble eating dinner because we'd had too many snacks.

This new system allows people to go to the club, or any of the bars at any time.  It really gives people a lot of freedom.  I don't think most people were over drinking, but there will be a few that miss the unlimited aspect.  For a while Celebrity was doing unlimited drinks in any bar, but only during the happy hour times.

1 minute ago, tserface said:

I think it's better for the cruise line as well so I wouldn't be surprised to see it stay, perhaps with some refinements.  Doing the elaborate parties in the Diamond Club at night is very expensive and kind of a logistical nightmare.  A lot of people couldn't fit in as there are often a lot of Diamond and Diamond+ cruisers on each sailing.  There were frustrations because seating was limited, or reserved and people often stayed for a really long time since they could continue drinking.  I think they are hoping that people stay at the parties for shorter durations (if at all).  There were also a lot of people who got mad when they couldn't bring others in their group to the parties (non-Diamond), so now those people can enjoy their drinks anywhere else with their friends.

I think the people who will really miss out are the bar staff in the Diamond Club.  My guess is they were making a lot on tips for those parties.

We also enjoyed the banter with other cruisers we met at the parties.  The appetizers were good, but its not like you go hungry on a ship and, frankly, there were nights we had trouble eating dinner because we'd had too many snacks.

This new system allows people to go to the club, or any of the bars at any time.  It really gives people a lot of freedom.  I don't think most people were over drinking, but there will be a few that miss the unlimited aspect.  For a while Celebrity was doing unlimited drinks in any bar, but only during the happy hour times.

I think your assessment of the way it used to be is spot on.  I did see some who were a bit tipsy after having too many unlimited drinks but for the most part, people behaved.  They did open up some lounges as overflow areas, especially on sailings with many Diamond and above passengers - the transatlantics had the most I think. 

I thought the appetizers were so so -- nothing to write home about and the wines left a lot to be desired.  

Celebrity's system was better because rather than being confined to a certain area, you could go to any bar.  If you wanted appetizers, you had to go to a designated area but were free to go in and out during the allotted time.  I wonder what Celebrity is doing now -- do you know?

I also like the new system better than the old. DH and I don't drink enough to get value from the drinks package, but I love that we're not limited to just drinks in the diamond lounge. Now I can enjoy a poolside cocktail, a sailaway drink,  some wine with dinner, and a drink at the show without paying extra!(unless I upgrade that wine at dinner)

Thanks Royal for a nice benefit for being loyal. I hope this doesn't mean that the DL will go away because I've enjoyed meeting other cruisers in the lounge, but it will help with social distancing during this health crisis.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, barb in ga said:

I also like the new system better than the old. DH and I don't drink enough to get value from the drinks package, but I love that we're not limited to just drinks in the diamond lounge. Now I can enjoy a poolside cocktail, a sailaway drink,  some wine with dinner, and a drink at the show without paying extra!(unless I upgrade that wine at dinner)

Thanks Royal for a nice benefit for being loyal. I hope this doesn't mean that the DL will go away because I've enjoyed meeting other cruisers in the lounge, but it will help with social distancing during this health crisis.

Yes the socialization aspect of the DL will not be like in the past, going forward, but like yourself, I think the system is much better than before. I'm happy with my 4 drinks and pretty soon will be 5 drinks -- can't beat that! I don't think I'll ever reach 6 drinks but 4 or 5 are plenty for me. The fact that they're available anytime during the day at any lounge is also a nice change. 

• Like 1