Travel Insurance - Proof you should never leave home without it!

Some CV19 positive cases were reported last week on the Carnival Vista, (which left from Galveston), when it reached Belize.  Unfortunately, one of the cases was a retired 77 year old woman who either didn't have travel insurance or adequate insurance to cover medical care in Belize.  Her family finally came up with the funds but by that time, it was rather late in the game, and the woman, eventually transported back to the US, did not make it. 

This situation emphasizes the need to always carry travel insurance that includes adequate amounts for medical care as well as repatriation.  Following is the full story as reported by a maritime attorney.  I am not a fan of this particular attorney but he does write about the entire story versus bits and pieces in other news articles and for once does say something nice about RCI at the end of the article:

https://www.cruiselawnews.com/2021/08/articles/disease/passenger-infected-with-covid-19-on-carnival-vista-and-abandoned-by-carnival-in-belize-dies-after-returning-to-u-s/

"The popular Royal Caribbean Blog published an article which shows the compassionate way that Royal Caribbean/Celebrity Cruises have chosen to handle this type of situation, where the company has flown infected guests from Caribbean islands via private jets. Read: Royal Caribbean is flying passengers home on a private jet if they have Covid-19."

It is a sad story but it also must be kept in mind that in many cases having travel insurance isn't enough, many medical facilities will require payment up front even if the passenger has insurance and then they will need to be reimbursed later by the insurance company. (And having travel insurance that will provide the expense up front may or may not help depending on many factors.)

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

It is a sad story but it also must be kept in mind that in many cases having travel insurance isn't enough, many medical facilities will require payment up front even if the passenger has insurance and then they will need to be reimbursed later by the insurance company. (And having travel insurance that will provide the expense up front may or may not help depending on many factors.)

Right — that’s why it’s important to check if it pays upfront and what it does and doesn’t cover.  At any rate, it is always good to have it than not at all — as this poor family discovered.  

Very tragic- my prayers are with me maws family. When my wife and I travel we always leave without insurance. However  I would never tell people they should not buy travel insurance - this is our personal choice and everyone has freedom to choose. After reading this story the glaring thing is not that she didn't have insurance its that she was vaccinated and still got fatally ill. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I have experienced this personally with a family member and it took quite awhile for the insurance company to agree to medical transport home because they felt the ICU care being given was appropriate and they would wait for them to get better and send them home commercial. It took a lot of paperwork from the physician and really pushing. I've heard this from other people as well. Still though, I don't leave the country without it. 

I'm very comfortable complying with required vaccines, testing, and masking. Yes, she was vaccinated, which vastly improved but did not guarantee her chances at survival. 

• Like 1

Just now, livingonthebeach said:

That's correct.  It's still better than Carnival's program for now, at least.

Carnival has taken a PR hit with their program. 

And with the Royal/Celebrity program ending (it will likely not be extended), just underscores your point about getting proper travel insurance. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, harry0 said:

Very tragic- my prayers are with me maws family. When my wife and I travel we always leave without insurance. However  I would never tell people they should not buy travel insurance - this is our personal choice and everyone has freedom to choose. After reading this story the glaring thing is not that she didn't have insurance its that she was vaccinated and still got fatally ill. 

I don’t think it is glaring that she was vaccinated and still got fatally ill. None of the current vaccines available has a 100% efficacy rate.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

This is extremely important! A have seen a few posts where it is recommended to carry a credit card with you that has a high limit and zero balance that is used only for medical emergencies. I don't know how realistic this is for many travelers, but it is a good idea.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Tragic but not surprised as the COVID safety protocols that have been getting reported from YouTube channels and even reviews by CC of the inaugural MadiGras have been terrible. Carnival decided to start at 70% capacity and it's come back to bite them...along with very poor to no COVID safety protocols like self service buffet..packing in every seat in venues with people standing on top of each other....and even reported at one game show an event was "making out with a stranger". It's all on YouTube ...do your research before sailing Carnival right now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bajathree said:

Tragic but not surprised as the COVID safety protocols that have been getting reported from YouTube channels and even reviews by CC of the inaugural MadiGras have been terrible. Carnival decided to start at 70% capacity and it's come back to bite them...along with very poor to no COVID safety protocols like self service buffet..packing in every seat in venues with people standing on top of each other....and even reported at one game show an event was "making out with a stranger". It's all on YouTube ...do your research before sailing Carnival right now.

I follow the piano player that is on Mardi Gras on Facebook.  It sounds like a madhouse onboard.  John Heald did a Facebook Live on that inaugural cruise into the piano bar.  Packed.  No social distancing, no masks.    I dont think Carnival has vax guests only areas.

• Like 1

You probably already know this , but:

For those on Medicare:

Traditional Medicare A/B does not cover services outside of the US or on cruise ships themselves. There are Medicare supplemental policies that do reimburse for services outside of the US and on board.
We have had patients with enormous bills from various ships and then from treatment performed in foreign hospitals. Most of these patients did not realize that their Medicare does not extend beyond our "borders". 

• Like 4

I watch ParoDeeJay on you tube and Dee got covid on Mardi Gras, they received new protocols only on the second leg of their B2B when she got sick.  So the first half of the trip (Inaugural) was just lacadaisical.  They've been masked up on all subsequent videos though!  And were vaxd

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

I watch ParoDeeJay on you tube and Dee got covid on Mardi Gras, they received new protocols only on the second leg of their B2B when she got sick.  So the first half of the trip (Inaugural) was just lacadaisical.  They've been masked up on all subsequent videos though!  And were vaxd

And they even started wearing masks towards the end of the first week onboard.  Hope she is doing OK.  We really enjoy their videos!

• Like 1

I’ve seen info on this case from other sources. Sheesh that lawyer has an agenda. 

Very sad to read of this death - positive vibes to her family. But “travel insurance” isn’t magic. It’s possible she would have received exactly the same level of care under many travel insurance policies. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lol and I just read on the carnival threads they might change to rcl because they have maskless areas and carnival does not. Carnival has gone too strict.

I'd read about this but first time I read the ambulance chaser lawyer version. The carnival is handling a small outbreak came out days before the crew was fully tested. Time line is twisted. 

But it is a sad story. I have been wondering if she was exposed prior to the cruise. What worries me is the very day she said she didnt feel well and skipped the excursion, later that day her family found her with breathing issues and later the ship doctor saw her and decided she needed to be on a ventilator and transported her to a Belize hospital.

Scary to me that you can go from no symptoms to needed a ventilator the very same day. That's what worries me. I'm cruising in 3 weeks. Idk you got to deathly sick so fast. In one day from feeling ill to that afternoon needing a ventilator. I'm not 77 but old enough this worrys me. That was my first reaction. Yikes so ill so fast. And no symptoms before that day?

I'm on rcl liberrty in dec, .. after their policy to transport home expires. No matter how you read this it's a worrisome tale imo. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

Following is the full story as reported by a maritime attorney.  I am not a fan of this particular attorney but he does write about the entire story versus bits and pieces in other news articles and for once does say something nice about RCI at the end of the article:

https://www.cruiselawnews.com/2021/08/articles/disease/passenger-infected-with-covid-19-on-carnival-vista-and-abandoned-by-carnival-in-belize-dies-after-returning-to-u-s/

"The popular Royal Caribbean Blog published an article which shows the compassionate way that Royal Caribbean/Celebrity Cruises have chosen to handle this type of situation, where the company has flown infected guests from Caribbean islands via private jets. Read: Royal Caribbean is flying passengers home on a private jet if they have Covid-19."

Just so you're aware, that attorney pulls info from other articles and interviews.  He's not always accurate.  For example a YTer came up positive on a cruise and he obviously didn't watch the video they posted because he came up with the "fact" that she had received oxygen from someone else's story.  She did not receive oxygen and she had a mild case.  That's one of my issues with that attorney.   While he does try to write the entire story, his fact checking leaves something to be desired.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

She came up positive on the second leg of their b2b at the end so they didn't have to evacuate.  Fortunately she's got a mild case, but this ambulance chasing lawyer got the story a bit wrong.  See my post above. I'm talking about Dee and how he reported it.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

Naturally on the carnival board their positive was discussed. There is criticism that the negative husband who should be isolating was out and about. It was only one more night so they didnt move them to isolation and guard the door and the  husband didnt stay inside the cabin but got food. Idk I didnt watch their video to the end, but they both should have stayed inside the cabin that last night. Not go out and get food to take pictures of. Carnival needed to put a guard on their door. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, firefly333 said:

Naturally on the carnival board their positive was discussed. There is criticism that the negative husband who should be isolating was out and about. It was only one more night so they didnt move them to isolation and guard the door and the  husband didnt stay inside the cabin but got food. Idk I didnt watch their video to the end, but they both should have stayed inside the cabin that last night. Not go out and get food to take pictures of. Carnival needed to put a guard on their door. 

From their video, they did show that they were moved to a designated quarantine cabin on deck 5 (which happened to be on the same deck they were on in the first place). Husband even said that Carnival only wanted Dee to move cabins, but he said he talked them into allowing him to move with her. 

34 minutes ago, BND said:

Just so you're aware, that attorney pulls info from other articles and interviews.  He's not always accurate.  For example a YTer came up positive on a cruise and he obviously didn't watch the video they posted because he came up with the "fact" that she had received oxygen from someone else's story.  She did not receive oxygen and she had a mild case.  That's one of my issues with that attorney.   While he does try to write the entire story, his fact checking leaves something to be desired.

I do realize he's made many mistakes in the past and I thank you for pointing that out.  It's hard to find a news article that's 100% correct these days though.  We just have to fact check ourselves if something doesn't seem right.  

37 minutes ago, CruisinMama2003 said:

From their video, they did show that they were moved to a designated quarantine cabin on deck 5 (which happened to be on the same deck they were on in the first place). Husband even said that Carnival only wanted Dee to move cabins, but he said he talked them into allowing him to move with her. 

But my point was if he was exposed to her he should be isolating too, not run out to pick up food to photograph. Even if he was negative, stay in the cabin and isolate. This is what some on carnival boards are upset about, him not staying isolated. 

Carnival has been isolating pax on deck 2, that has replaced air filtration. So staying on deck 5 was curious but some said well it's just one night, but stay in the cabin. They didnt take isolation seriously.

• Like 3