Not exactly the news I was hoping for.........

MrsK

I know what you mean.

I'd like to hear from "actual people" who have gotten around this issue.  Just this week my hairstylist told me of a client of hers who drove across to Syracuse for surgery for her dog with no issues.  She got tested yes but no problem crossing the border.  We all love our pets, but I can't imagine this was deemed essential travel.  We have vets in Canada.  Anyway its very frustrating to be hearing so many stories of people crossing the border with ease.   Of course we never have the full story (for all I know this person has a US passport or owns property in the US). 

12 minutes ago, Josie201 said:

I know what you mean.

I'd like to hear from "actual people" who have gotten around this issue.  Just this week my hairstylist told me of a client of hers who drove across to Syracuse for surgery for her dog with no issues.  She got tested yes but no problem crossing the border.  We all love our pets, but I can't imagine this was deemed essential travel.  We have vets in Canada.  Anyway its very frustrating to be hearing so many stories of people crossing the border with ease.   Of course we never have the full story (for all I know this person has a US passport or owns property in the US). 

A friend of mine lives near Vancouver and crosses regularly with ease to visit his kids and go to his cottage in Washington state because he is a duel citizen. His SO is Canadian only and could not cross with him. 

I have two other friends from the GTA who took a helicopter service to cross over to Buffalo while their cars were transported across by commercial carrier.  The service was not cheap but they crossed with ease. 

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

I think that the US doesn't want to have to deal with the vaccination issues, with Canadians having AZ and mixed vaccinations.

They have a lot bigger issues to think about than a couple of million Canucks with mixed vaccinations.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

I think that the US doesn't want to have to deal with the vaccination issues, with Canadians having AZ and mixed vaccinations.

With a normalized confirmed case count in the US seven times as much as Canada, I'd say they're doing us a favour by restricting access.

Edited by d9704011
  • Like 6

Just got off the phone canceling my B2B Sept. 5th and Sept. 12th cruise on Oasis. i was planing on driving to NJ. Protocols came in via email last night plus I'm mixed vaccinated so even if driving across the border was an option i still wouldn't be able to go.

Happy to get full refund. Only took 45 minutes.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

With a normalized confirmed case count in the US seven times as much as Canada, I'd say they're doing us a favour by restricting access.

We should all be sending Thank You cards to President Biden C/O The White House, Washington D.C. U.S.A. 😇

2 hours ago, LouTheGlue said:

Just got off the phone canceling my B2B Sept. 5th and Sept. 12th cruise on Oasis. i was planing on driving to NJ. Protocols came in via email last night plus I'm mixed vaccinated so even if driving across the border was an option i still wouldn't be able to go.

Happy to get full refund. Only took 45 minutes.

Great news that you were able to get full refund! Our cruise isn't til November - hoping some of this gets sorted out by then. Booked before all the vaccine requirements changed and have little interest in FCC's.

2 hours ago, d9704011 said:

But, I thought the Canadian border is open, to the US Citizens' though.   Having it opened one way and not the other, makes no sense to me. 

27 minutes ago, jen1016_d said:

But, I thought the Canadian border is open, to the US Citizens' though.   Having it opened one way and not the other, makes no sense to me. 

You, and all the rest of us but that's the way it is, thanks to Biden.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, jen1016_d said:

It is as of early Aug - agreed that this makes no sense.... I can't fathom why we would open to them with Delta raging in their 51% fully vaccinated population while they keep the border closed to us with our 63% fully vaccinated rate. https://thepointsguy.com/guide/is-canada-open-for-travel/?utm_content=F8668FB2-01F1-11EC-B764-68B14744363C&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=thepointsguy&utm_medium=social&tw=1&utm_term=editorial

It's starting to look like the new US Admin is no friend to Canada... 

• Like 1

Or does this all come around to the CDC's inconclusive/confused status of Canada's vaccination program?  As in other posts some cruise lines are saying Canadians are not welcome because of CDC guidelines, but other Canadians have documentation that our fully vaccinated travelers, including those that have AZ shots, are OK to travel as per CDC guidelines.  We of course with our "definition" of fully vaccinated are allowing US travelers.  BUT, they are fully vaccinated, with the same vaccine, and within the designated schedule designated by the CDC and pretty much every other global vaccine authority.  So technically why would we not let those people in, other than to continue stopping the spread of the Delta variant.  I believe in the next month or two the CDC will come out with some definitive, conclusive guidelines on their opinion of our vaccine deployment.  Hopefully the border will open and we all can go on our merry way.  But until that data is analyzed to their standards, rules and regulations, and confidence that Canada's program did it right, they have to keep it closed. 

8 hours ago, jen1016_d said:

The US does not accept mixed vaccinations. It also greatly prefers multi- dose vaccinations that comply with manufacturer specified timings. It also has issues with AstraZeneca, particularly the Covishield variant. It would be surprising if, despite all this the US was willing to accept large numbers of Canadian  visitors.

• Like 1

I didn't think the border closure has anything to do with the type of vaccines that Canadians received.

I thought it was more to do with not wanting to open the border to Mexico and thus having to have the same rules.

I mean right now we can fly to the U.S. without being vaccinated.

I guess the bigger question is if they open the land borders will they require different rules for vaccinated and unvaccinated and if so vaccinated based on whose rules?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, K_e_short said:

I thought it was more to do with not wanting to open the border to Mexico and thus having to have the same rules.

I mean right now we can fly to the U.S. without being vaccinated.

I fail to see the logic in thinking the only reason the US-Canada land border is closed to regular traffic is to keep the US-Mexico border closed.

Substantially less traffic moves by plane. The issue is pandemic mitigation. The goal is to minimize transmission without crippling an economy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, broberts said:

I fail to see the logic in thinking the only reason the US-Canada land border is closed to regular traffic is to keep the US-Mexico border closed.

Substantially less traffic moves by plane. The issue is pandemic mitigation. The goal is to minimize transmission without crippling an economy.

I fail to see their logic, period.

If I had to guess, I'm not sure they really want to require, validate, or enforce vaccinations of any sort for entry.  But they also won't want to just open the land border to everyone, regardless of vaccination status, especially when most other countries are requiring vaccination.  That would be bad optics for a president who wants to be seen as taking the pandemic seriously.

I could be completely off-base, but IMO it makes at least as much sense as any other theory I've heard.  I've been following this pretty closely for the past couple of months, since it would have saved my family a couple thousand dollars if we could have driven to New Jersey next week.  But there's not much to follow.  There will of course be people in government who actually know why they are doing this, but they're not talking.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, broberts said:

I didn't say it was logical 🙂

• Like 3

9 hours ago, K_e_short said:

I didn't say it was logical 🙂

I didn't mean your logic, just to be clear.  I meant the US federal government's logic, or lack of logic, in keeping the border closed.

• Like 1

On 8/21/2021 at 1:03 AM, broberts said:

It appears from all reporting that Biden wants to open both at the same time. Like you, I dont see the logic. Currently they sit somewhere around 40% vaccinated. If the US is going to wait until they get closer to 70% then we wont see the Canadian border open until some time late this year or early next year. I think what has most people pissed about this is the secrecy surrounding the decision. We saw similar approaches in Canada. No explanation or plan just "we're staying closed for at least another month".

Edited by nbsjcruiser
  • Like 1