Oh no, Dasani replaced by Evian!

3 hours ago, Ashland said:

We drink tap water at home... and have drank lot's of different bottled water all over the world....Not picky...it's water.

Sure, it's water. But if you're not picky, why have you been drinking "bottled" all over the world instead of just "tap water"?

Not all tap water is the same.

Fun fact: We left our flooded town, which had a non-working water system (requiring us to boil rain-off-the-roof water and use pool water for washing/flushing), on a vacation to Cancun. We joked that we were the only people to go to Mexico to find potable water. 

But drank mostly bottled there, too....

Edited by mayleeman
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, footzz said:

Sure, it's water. But if you're not picky, why have you been drinking "bottled" all over the world instead of just "tap water"?

Silly question :classic_rolleyes:.....Not all tap water has been safe for drinking in the countries we've traveled to.

• Like 1

IMO Evian is the WORST tasting of all the bottled waters.

If you like it, fine, but I will not be ordering/paying for any Evian.

What does "naturally sourced" really mean?  ALL water is naturally sourced.  There is no source of "artificial" water.

And even water from springs and wells is normally filtered, chemically treated, then have the chemicals removed. I remember seeing the tanker truck of chlorine gas on the road.  BIG logo on the side of a company the sells bottled "pure" water, for "natural springs."

• Haha 1

I read this thread with great interest.

As a surviving cancer patient, my spouse went through Chemo and other related treatments for some time.  During that period - we actually tried 17 different types of water, since her taste sensors changed drastically during that timeframe.

Evian, Deer Park, and Aquafina were 3 of the brands nearly immediately eliminated based on "tasting bad" during the cancer treatment time.

Interestingly, Dasani was the ONLY brand bottled water that she could drink for more than a 1-year period, and still does to this day (after her taste sensations returned following cancer treatment.

In contrast...to me....all bottled water tastes so much the same that blindfolded I could never taste any difference (I tried all 17 of the same brands my wife tried).

I'm also reminded of the Clark Howard (Consumer Advocate) position that bottled water is one of the biggest ripoffs in America. It costs about 3.75 centers to produce 1 bottle, yet a gallon of bottled water costs more than a gallon of gas in most locations.  A case (on sale) of bottled water now lasts us about a month. We'll even refill them at times from the filtered refrigerator water tap. 

Evian or other...it's all just water.

On 8/20/2021 at 10:25 PM, Mapleleafforever said:

Evian tastes much better than Dasani......fact. Ship tap water tastes better than Dasani. 

Fact… ship toilet water probably tastes better than Dasani. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We use a brita water filter at home . If we used bottled water we would fill a land fill site all by ourselves. We only drink water or coffee .The filtered water goes into the expresso machine and the keurig coffee maker.

Evian Water Analysis:
Balance Still
Nitrate 3.8 mg/l
Calcium 78 mg/l
Magnesium 24 mg/l
Sodium 5 mg/l

I want reverse osmosis water, purified water.  I won't drink Evian.  I hope this changes soon.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/22/2021 at 8:25 AM, dasi11 said:
Evian Water Analysis:
Balance Still
Nitrate 3.8 mg/l
Calcium 78 mg/l
Magnesium 24 mg/l
Sodium 5 mg/l

I want reverse osmosis water, purified water.  I won't drink Evian.  I hope this changes soon.

And, Desani, even according to their label, has magnesium sulphate ( a fertilizer ingredient), potassium chloride, and salt, after the reverse osmosis process, in order to affect the taste.

• Like 4

One other thing to note, that those of us who manufacture reverse osmosis water on ships know, is that water produced by reverse osmosis is highly corrosive (as is distilled water).  Desani has a measured pH of 4.5 (similar to most sodas) as does distilled water.  This is why the ship will always pass water they produce through a "re-hardening filter", which consists of a bed of calcium carbonate (the antacid in Tums), to neutralize the water.  Evian, on the other hand, due to the natural minerals in it, has a pH of 6.75, or nearly neutral.  Tooth enamel starts to break down with pH of around 5.5.  Take these facts for what you will, I know that when I was on a ship where the re-hardening filter wasn't working, my teeth started to hurt.

But, you all can argue bottled water all you want, we here in southern Maine have pure lake water to drink, and we don't bother to pay for bottled water.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

One other thing to note, that those of us who manufacture reverse osmosis water on ships know, is that water produced by reverse osmosis is highly corrosive (as is distilled water).  Desani has a measured pH of 4.5 (similar to most sodas) as does distilled water.  This is why the ship will always pass water they produce through a "re-hardening filter", which consists of a bed of calcium carbonate (the antacid in Tums), to neutralize the water.  Evian, on the other hand, due to the natural minerals in it, has a pH of 6.75, or nearly neutral.  Tooth enamel starts to break down with pH of around 5.5.  Take these facts for what you will, I know that when I was on a ship where the re-hardening filter wasn't working, my teeth started to hurt.

But, you all can argue bottled water all you want, we here in southern Maine have pure lake water to drink, and we don't bother to pay for bottled water.

Same where I live in Southern Ontario, our tap water is great and we don't buy bottled when home. So is the water from the taps in the washrooms safe to drink? It doesn't taste so good to me so I've been thinking about bringing a Brita (easy to pack) and have the charcoal correct the taste. We've usually purchased cases of Evian on board for the convenience but refillable bottles are just as convenient if not more so. 

12 hours ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Same where I live in Southern Ontario, our tap water is great and we don't buy bottled when home. So is the water from the taps in the washrooms safe to drink? It doesn't taste so good to me so I've been thinking about bringing a Brita (easy to pack) and have the charcoal correct the taste. We've usually purchased cases of Evian on board for the convenience but refillable bottles are just as convenient if not more so. 

The water in the sink tap in your cabin bathroom is the exact same water used everywhere on the ship.  There is only one system.  The only difference is that water dispensers in the dining venues, bars, and ice makers have a carbon filter to remove the residual chlorine.  CDC mandates that there is a residual chlorine at every point on the ship, and this is constantly monitored and the chlorine dosage adjusted continually to keep this residual.  Your municipality chlorinates at the plant, and then as the water travels the pipes, and sits in the pipes until needed, the chlorine dissipates, so you likely have no residual chlorine in your house.  The ship's water recirculation allows this residual to be maintained.  Sure, you can bring a Brita, or you can fill a plain pitcher with water and let it sit out in the cabin, or in the fridge, uncovered, and the chlorine will dissipate and the taste improve.  The reason the ship's equipment has filters is that the chlorine can cause scale formation in the equipment, so removing it simplifies maintenance.

• Like 4

We ordered Dasani on one of our recent cruises that was unfortunately cancelled. 

Being from the UK the name didn't mean anything when I ordered it so its quite a surprise to read here that it is actually a Coca Cola product. I've just googled it and seems it lasted 5 weeks here in the UK in 2004 and was withdrawn under a cloud of really bad publicity and accusations.  

We naturally embrace anything you guys send across (recently had our second Wendy's open here 😀, Taco Bell I believe is coming) but clearly not Dasani although its obviously popular elsewhere.

Edited by Tin can
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

The water in the sink tap in your cabin bathroom is the exact same water used everywhere on the ship.  There is only one system.  The only difference is that water dispensers in the dining venues, bars, and ice makers have a carbon filter to remove the residual chlorine.  CDC mandates that there is a residual chlorine at every point on the ship, and this is constantly monitored and the chlorine dosage adjusted continually to keep this residual.  Your municipality chlorinates at the plant, and then as the water travels the pipes, and sits in the pipes until needed, the chlorine dissipates, so you likely have no residual chlorine in your house.  The ship's water recirculation allows this residual to be maintained.  Sure, you can bring a Brita, or you can fill a plain pitcher with water and let it sit out in the cabin, or in the fridge, uncovered, and the chlorine will dissipate and the taste improve.  The reason the ship's equipment has filters is that the chlorine can cause scale formation in the equipment, so removing it simplifies maintenance.

Wow, that's excellent info, thanks!!