The Daily for Tuesday August 24, 2021

richwmn

1 hour ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good afternoon all, I hope everyone is having a great day. It’s another hot and humid day here and it’s expected to be that thru Friday. 
    An update on our young lifeguard. He will be laid to rest on Friday. The city of Cape May is naming an area of the beach in his memory . 
        The family had set up a Go Fund Me page to cover his medical expenses, the city is now covering all expenses, so the family will now establish scholarships in his honor . 
         In the spirit of brotherhood, neighboring Beach Patrols from throughout the south Jersey area are providing coverage so Cape May guards are able to attend his service and grieve their loss. 
The amount raised so far is over $150,000.

Stay safe and be kind to each other 🙏❤️

What a wonderful community to support the young lifeguard.  So nice to hear positive stories.

Interest set of days.  Appreciate the lists and pictures everyone has posted.

I could join the no sleep club also.  I have decided to not use any device before turning off the light and see if that helps.  Tonight will actually read a book!!

Stay well and safe. 

• Like 13

7 minutes ago, dfish said:

Wow, Carolyn!   The view into the crater is amazing.  I've been to Pompeii and would love to get to Herculaneum.  Now I have to add hiking to the top of Vesuvius to the ever expanding bucket list.  

Sorry about your bad night.  I tried to take a nap and couldn't fall asleep this afternoon.  No idea what this is about, but generally I don't sleep on Monday nights for some reason.

It truly was amazing!  I would do it again for sure.  

Sorry about your night!  Since I did end up (finally) with enough sleep, I can't complain.  But it's darn annoying to lie awake for 2 1/2 hours. Thankful I did sleep that last 4 hours straight though.

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

@Cruising-along, why did they say you did not qualify for the booster?  And which pharmacy did you go to?  

Love your pictures of Vesuvius.  I don't think I would dare the climb!  Happy you have a mask mandate again.

We went out to Butchart's Gardens this morning to renew our year passes.  There were a lot of "foreign" license plates, mainly Alberta, but a lot from Quebec, Ontario and some US states including Washington  It was really crowded, grownups and kids shouting etc., and we wore our masks.  Even outdoors!

We went to Haggens pharmacy.  We've filled a few prescriptions there (the Navy pharmacy is our usual pharmacy).  The reason given was it's open up now only to the immunocompromised such as MS patients, organ transplant patients, etc. or on immunosuppressive drugs.  I have no idea why recurring bladder cancer was accepted, he isn't on any immunosuppressive drugs. She said I won't even be eligible when it opens up Sept. 20 to everyone, because I will be 7 months from last vaccine, not the required 8 months. 😞  

We have actually seen a few BC plates down here all through Covid!  Not nearly as many as in normal times, but strangely some are coming down and from looking at them, they look like they're on vacation, not work. 🤷‍♀️

Lol -- I was 10 years younger when I made that climb, but would love to do it again if I could!

• Like 10

Checking back in this afternoon - update:  no haircut.  My neighbour/stylist called to say she had a "colour emergency" and could we reschedule to tomorrow.  So I'll be looking fine and fresh tomorrow around 9AM.  

I knew I had a photo of Vesuvius around, just had to go through about a million pics to find it.  We were there in October, 2017 on the Westerdam when we did a B2B out of Venice, ending in a trans-Atlantic.  

Vesuvius.thumb.JPG.be3ba54991ebe3814b048af0fc3add55.JPG

Re: masks, we haven't had a mask mandate yet, but DH and I have continued wearing ours whenever we go into a store or public space.  Better safe than sorry.

What a wonderful thing for the family of the young lifeguard to do, while in the midst of grieving their loss, thinking of others and their futures.  Bless all of them.  

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 17

11 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

I'm so sorry to hear that they turned you away.   The vaccine roll-outs have been moving targets all along.  But, yes, would have been nice had they called and cancelled your appointment,

The questionnaire that DH and I filled out was very general and really wouldn't exclude many people.  I have a slew of chronic conditions, but I didn't "rely" on any of them when filling out the form.  We thought maybe just our age allowed us to make the appointments.  They've probably changed the questions by now to be more strict.  

I'm glad your DH got his, though.   Hopefully they will become available to everyone pretty soon.   It does sound like that third shot is necessary, at least for older people.

Where did you get your vaccines?  I think you live in CA? 

When I asked the pharmacist why they ask if I'm diabetic, over 65, etc. etc. if it doesn't matter, her answer was the questionnaire is "generic".  🙄

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Where did you get your vaccines?  I think you live in CA? 

When I asked the pharmacist why they ask if I'm diabetic, over 65, etc. etc. if it doesn't matter, her answer was the questionnaire is "generic".  🙄

CVS here in San Diego

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I can't believe it's taken so long to get up to date information, but apparently hospital surgical units don't follow their schedules closely.  He wasn't taken back for surgery until hours later than scheduled and said he was pretty thirsty by then.  The doctor reported all went well and they were able to remove a large section of "bone" in the way of the nerve.  DD said she will keep me updated tonight when he gets home with his Dad.  Right now all looks good.  I hope that continues! 

Thanks to all for their concern.  So appreciated!❤️

• Like 18
  • Thanks 6

1 minute ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I can't believe it's taken so long to get up to date information, but apparently hospital surgical units don't follow their schedules closely.  He wasn't taken back for surgery until hours later than scheduled and said he was pretty thirsty by then.  The doctor reported all went well and they were able to remove a large section of "bone" in the way of the nerve.  DD said she will keep me updated tonight when he gets home with his Dad.  Right now all looks good.  I hope that continues! 

It sounds like the surgery went well, and for that we're all grateful.  Now he can heal and get on with the rest of his life.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Very good news!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

So he expects to go home the same day?  Any idea what recovery will be like?

Roy

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

So he expects to go home the same day?  Any idea what recovery will be like?

Roy

Yes, home to his Dad's house this evening.  He should be back at work in a couple weeks.  Thankfully he works in sales and not construction!  Both Tyler and his puppy Boomer (English Cream Golden Retriever) need someone to care for them for a week or so and DD's ex volunteered since he can work from home if necessary.  Mom has to be in the classroom.  

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

We went to Haggens pharmacy.  We've filled a few prescriptions there (the Navy pharmacy is our usual pharmacy).  The reason given was it's open up now only to the immunocompromised such as MS patients, organ transplant patients, etc. or on immunosuppressive drugs.  I have no idea why recurring bladder cancer was accepted, he isn't on any immunosuppressive drugs. She said I won't even be eligible when it opens up Sept. 20 to everyone, because I will be 7 months from last vaccine, not the required 8 months. 😞  

I wondered how you were getting them.  I have to wait until November.  Sue should be eligible on September 20th as she got hers last December/January and she's a health care worker.  

@StLouisCruisers Thank you for the update on Tyler.  I am so glad that it all went well.  Hopefully his back will be much better now.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dfish said:

Big Boy was our place to go in college.  If we were celebrating a birthday we went to Bill Knapp's for the free birthday cake.  When we were traveling between Michigan and Binghamton, New York we always stopped in Niagara Falls at the Howard Johnson's.   I remember those bright orange roofs.  Mom and Dad felt HoJo's was a good place to go with six young kids as it was very family oriented

What's your Binghamton connection?  Binghamton University is my Alma Mater.

Roy

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, dfish said:

I wondered how you were getting them.  I have to wait until November.  Sue should be eligible on September 20th as she got hers last December/January and she's a health care worker.  

@StLouisCruisers Thank you for the update on Tyler.  I am so glad that it all went well.  Hopefully his back will be much better now.

Thanks so much, Debbie!

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, dfish said:

I think our SIL should be eligible then too.  I'll hopefully be able to get mine in mid-late October, right after the cruise.  That will be 8 months for me.

@StLouisCruisersso glad Tyler's surgery went well!  You can rest easy now. 🙂  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, dfish said:

Debbie, this exchange you had with @Cruising-alongmade me think...

I guess it is conceivable that CVS did review our appointments beforehand.   They do know everything about our health and what prescriptions we take, etc., as that has been our pharmacy location for many, many years.  Also, we made appointments before the president made his speech making eight months official and September.  That might have made a difference, too.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

We have actually seen a few BC plates down here all through Covid!  Not nearly as many as in normal times, but strangely some are coming down and from looking at them, they look like they're on vacation, not work. 🤷‍♀️

I wonder how they got there with the border closed for land crossings?  

Truly perplexing and frustrating for the rest of us that are being “good” and following rules 🤷‍♂️ 😔 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

OH that is such good news 👍. I’m so relieved to hear this.

Prayers for a quick and good recovery and this helps him feel so much better 🙏🏻 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1