Arrival and departure groups

Retired 07

Boarding times did not matter to us.  there were 8 of getting on in Seattle , all with various boarding times.  We all checked in together and were in the  " green lane"  Walked right on to the ship.  There wee some chairs that people were sitting for a couple of minutes to stagger the groups a bit.  We bypassed the chairs and went on board.  No one asked to see boarding times.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2021 at 1:21 PM, Steelers36 said:

I think the whole "port negotiation" thing is a Princess deflection worthy of a politician.

yes, it's a conspiracy , and it makes me 😠 that they could stoop to this level 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Potstech said:

Literally just talked to a Princess Customer Service Rep who said Arrival groups are 20-30 days before departure. This was after I sent them a link to this thread.

yep...that's the same jargon I received the other day.  Pretty soon, it's going to be pick your arrival time 24 hours in advance.  What a Hoax.  Oh wait, maybe it will be that you can pick your arrival time AFTER you receive a negative test result.  

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

yep...that's the same jargon I received the other day.  Pretty soon, it's going to be pick your arrival time 24 hours in advance.  What a Hoax.  Oh wait, maybe it will be that you can pick your arrival time AFTER you receive a negative test result.  

or after you get on the ship - sorry, could not help myself - so tired of checking it out

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, manunia said:

or after you get on the ship - sorry, could not help myself - so tired of checking it out

If it weren't for the humor from posters, we would all be up a creek without a paddle.  Unfortunately, so much of these posts are true.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Potstech said:

Literally just talked to a Princess Customer Service Rep who said Arrival groups are 20-30 days before departure. This was after I sent them a link to this thread.

3 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

This is interesting as I have seen the range of 20 - 30 days out mentioned several times recently.  Quite a while back, I was told this very same range by a well-placed source at Princess and I took it with a grain of salt because at the time, so many were having access 60 days or so ahead, 45 days, etc, etc.  

Perhaps the 20 - 30 was an actual target objective they were working towards.  It's not at all unreasonable since travel plans should be locked in by then and it gives PCL flexibility to toss the thing aside if/when Covid-19 protocols such as crowd control at terminals is no longer an issue. 

And we guests don't really need to know all that far ahead.  Those who go with Princess ground connections are taken care of and those of us doing our own thing from hotel to ship - or whatever - can have that setup in time.  It would be useful if any Princess guests know of any of the cruise departure locations where things need to be setup well ahead of time and give that feedback to PCL so perhaps they consider that in timing for cruises out of those particular ports. 

I just wish they would put it in writing on the website and cement in stone that it will not be sooner than 30 days and folks can avoid checking every day as departure date approaches.  I can imagine it being frustrating as I know our cruises are a long way off, but I was checking MC App a lot recently to see if certain issues were fixed.

19 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Perhaps the 20 - 30 was an actual target objective they were working towards.  It's not at all unreasonable since travel plans should be locked in by then and it gives PCL flexibility to toss the thing aside if/when Covid-19 protocols such as crowd control at terminals is no longer an issue. 

And we guests don't really need to know all that far ahead.  Those who go with Princess ground connections are taken care of and those of us doing our own thing from hotel to ship - or whatever - can have that setup in time.  It would be useful if any Princess guests know of any of the cruise departure locations where things need to be setup well ahead of time and give that feedback to PCL so perhaps they consider that in timing for cruises out of those particular ports. 

I just wish they would put it in writing on the website and cement in stone that it will not be sooner than 30 days and folks can avoid checking every day as departure date approaches.  I can imagine it being frustrating as I know our cruises are a long way off, but I was checking MC App a lot recently to see if certain issues were fixed.

I respectfully disagree with your thoughts about locking in 20 days pre-cruise booking window.  I am a planner.  I (usually) book as soon as a new itinerary is opened.  Then build my world around the cruise.  If I had to fly, booking airfare is generally more expensive the closer you get to you date of departure.  I watch for sales.  Most fares start to climb within 45 - 30 days out.  

I do not understand why Princess can not release arrival window earlier than 20 days?  Final payment is due 60-90 days.  You are kind of locked in after that.  

I do agree with you that Princess should release something in writing.  This constant checking daily is frustrating.  I just want everything to be in place so I can sit back and worry about getting my negative results 48 hours (2 days) before cruising.

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I respectfully disagree with your thoughts about locking in 20 days pre-cruise booking window.  I am a planner.  I (usually) book as soon as a new itinerary is opened.  Then build my world around the cruise.  If I had to fly, booking airfare is generally more expensive the closer you get to you date of departure.  I watch for sales.  Most fares start to climb within 45 - 30 days out.  

I do not understand why Princess can not release arrival window earlier than 20 days?  Final payment is due 60-90 days.  You are kind of locked in after that.  

I do agree with you that Princess should release something in writing.  This constant checking daily is frustrating.  I just want everything to be in place so I can sit back and worry about getting my negative results 48 hours (2 days) before cruising.

I understand what you are saying about airfares, but why would you need to know the Arrival Group time on sailing day in order to book a flight?  Aren't you flying in the day before?  Even if flying in the Day Of, just book the flight you want and then when the time comes, you pick an Arrival Group.  In future, the groups are going to be expanded in size and can begin earlier.  Down the road, waiting in a terminal isn't going to be an issue.  If flying in Day Of, you just transfer from airport to the terminal and act like you did before.  I don't see a problem if we know when Arrival Groups open up.

But I do agree they ought to be able to open them up earlier - at least 30 days.  Why not right after FL Date.  And they should be opened for Suites and Elites a day ahead of others - just like when new voyages are released for sale on Princess.com.

As a good planner, I would guess you fly in the day prior to a cruise, so what's the problem?  You know you are at a hotel and you know how to get to the port and how long it takes and you decide when you want to go and pick the appropriate Arrival Group.

@Steelers36I have almost given up international travel or flying to the port.  My next few cruises are out of San Pedro.  

But just like flying to Hawaii, I don't feel relaxed until I am through security.  I leave for the airport early because I do not have a clue how bad TSA, traffic, crowds will be like.  

I prefer an early boarding, having a nice lunch in the MDR....then I can start my "cruise".  It's the not knowing that is causing me consternation.  

In the larger scheme of life, you are correct,  IT doesn't matter.  I should learn to be more patient and accept the things I can not change.  I was born a planner with contingency plan B, plan C, etc.  It has always worked out and so with this next cruise.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:

@Steelers36I have almost given up international travel or flying to the port.  My next few cruises are out of San Pedro.  

But just like flying to Hawaii, I don't feel relaxed until I am through security.  I leave for the airport early because I do not have a clue how bad TSA, traffic, crowds will be like.  

I prefer an early boarding, having a nice lunch in the MDR....then I can start my "cruise".  It's the not knowing that is causing me consternation.  

In the larger scheme of life, you are correct,  IT doesn't matter.  I should learn to be more patient and accept the things I can not change.  I was born a planner with contingency plan B, plan C, etc.  It has always worked out and so with this next cruise.  

Yes, I like detail planning as well and will often think about and know every expected move from flight to landing to hotel and then to and through the terminal and ultimately on to the ship.  We too like to be on early, settle in and have a nice lunch and enjoy afternoon while others are still boarding.  I often have a to-do list after boarding and sometimes it begins with a dash to The Sanctuary.  I am not sweating Arrival Time over a year from now and expect to arrive early like always.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I would be happy if Princess would just send out an E-mail once arrival times can be selected foir a cruise. (Best to send out one day in advance.)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, caribill said:

I would be happy if Princess would just send out an E-mail once arrival times can be selected foir a cruise. (Best to send out one day in advance.)

This could work well.  They used to send out automatic emails X days in advance to advise guests of the CD, the Captain, the main entertainment, etc.

5 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

This could work well.  They used to send out automatic emails X days in advance to advise guests of the CD, the Captain, the main entertainment, etc.

Another nice pre-cruise experience that has been eliminated to be replaced with E-mails asking you to purchase something.

• Like 1

On 9/2/2021 at 5:37 PM, Steelers36 said:

I understand what you are saying about airfares, but why would you need to know the Arrival Group time on sailing day in order to book a flight?  Aren't you flying in the day before?  Even if flying in the Day Of, just book the flight you want and then when the time comes, you pick an Arrival Group.  In future, the groups are going to be expanded in size and can begin earlier.  Down the road, waiting in a terminal isn't going to be an issue.  If flying in Day Of, you just transfer from airport to the terminal and act like you did before.  I don't see a problem if we know when Arrival Groups open up.

But I do agree they ought to be able to open them up earlier - at least 30 days.  Why not right after FL Date.  And they should be opened for Suites and Elites a day ahead of others - just like when new voyages are released for sale on Princess.com.

As a good planner, I would guess you fly in the day prior to a cruise, so what's the problem?  You know you are at a hotel and you know how to get to the port and how long it takes and you decide when you want to go and pick the appropriate Arrival Group.

Finally, some sensibility in a response for a change.

26 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

I'm tired of a system that doesn't work. I'm going to show up when I want, and board the ship.

I'll be watching from the sidelines, bag of pretzels and beer in hand. 

• Like 1

today is 20 days before 9/25 cruise from San Pedro - nothing new besides Sorry window

too much excitement between getting Arrival Time and find less expensive testing site - i would probably be too bored without those activities

• Like 2