Arrival and departure groups

Retired 07

On 8/26/2021 at 3:24 PM, Cruise Raider said:

I'm with you on that.  But, we had a Q&A with Jan Swartz and she assured us that those with elite status and those in suites would still be able to use their priority embarkation.  It is still listed as a benefit as well.  I'm hoping all of this will prove to be true as we, too are showing up on the early side.  

A customer relations rep called me about my Priority Boarding concerns expressed in an email to Jan & said it still does exist like Jan stated. While that is technically true it is not the same arrive early & board quickly benefit which has been replaced by Priority Boarding within Arrival Group. Based on that info an elite could get in the last group while a first time PCL customer gets the first Arrival Group.

Hopefully they’ll listen to our concerns about this degradation of the Priority Boarding benefit & to notify eligible passengers first that groups are available before opening to ineligible passengers.🤞

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

A customer relations rep called me about my Priority Boarding concerns expressed in an email to Jan & said it still does exist like Jan stated. While that is technically true it is not the same arrive early & board quickly benefit which has been replaced by Priority Boarding within Arrival Group. Based on that info an elite could get in the last group while a first time PCL customer gets the first Arrival Group.

Hopefully they’ll listen to our concerns about this degradation of the Priority Boarding benefit & to notify eligible passengers first that groups are available before opening to ineligible passengers.🤞

I see!  Thank you for clearing that up.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

I have told them it's time for us to go build loyalty elsewhere.

38 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

I have to disagree.  What you were told by the CR rep is not what Jan Swartz stated.  We can show up early and be checked in and then wait in the Elites & Suites seating area for boarding to begin.  This is more what is going on and is documented even in today's Live From (Majestic).  What does not appear to be happening is any sense of priority within an Arrival Group as more than one guest has reported just Green Lane and Yellow Lane and not divided. 

I guess in-depth detail and photo evidence of the terminal setup is necessary to settle the situation.  I suspect it is not always consistent and who knows what they are going to do exactly when T2 at PE kicks into gear later this year.

ETA:  Any member here can go back to the first Live From on Majestic to Alaska and there is a report or two of the Jan Swartz meeting.

ETA:  From Majestic Princess Live From July 25:

Jeez one laaaaaast note for the elite/suites boarding Sunday. There is a lounge if you arrive out of your boarding group. So no waiting outside for elite/suites. I understood her to say that elite/suites will be boarded as early as possible regardless of group. I hope others who attended will confirm or report their thoughts. I also understood her to say that if you do NOT have priority boarding your boarding window MUST be observed. 

Our boarding was unique as there were no disembarking pax to deal with. So pleeeeeease do not use any reports of our embarkation with regards to how early we arrived and boarded wrt boarding group as any indicator what that will be moving forward. 

I was like a dog with a bone regarding suite/elites having access to the earliest boarding group. Jan did understand how important this is to many of us. To me it seemed her thoughts were if everyone is ocean ready everyone is essentially given priority as no one waits. I kept going back to many do not want to wait until 1 and then be prioritized. I believe she really understood that getting early access to boarding groups is very important and my take away is that she will work towards that. Again I do hope others who came will confirm my take always and provide theirs. As we all know sometimes we tend to hear what we want to. 

Edited by Steelers36
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

I have to disagree.  What you were told by the CR rep is not what Jan Swartz stated.

Hopefully you’re correct but I’ve been disappointed too many times by unfulfilled PCL promises to not be skeptical.

In my opinion the current Seattle boarding process is like the Wild, Wild West where passengers are being allowed to arrive at anytime to prevent chaos during boarding the lower number of passengers. They aren’t following their written rules about turning away passengers who arrive prior to their Arrival Group time. Eventually they will likely enforce their written procedures but I lack confidence in Jan’s verbal statements about how Priority Boarding will be handled in the near future.

It’s merely my opinion & I respect your differing opinions…not much is definitive during these challenging times for the cruise industry & their passengers.

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Boarded Sky earlier today it was a totally different experience to Regal, from joining the test queue to boarding was less than an hour, testing was better, CPS were better, got our negative results whilst waiting for CPS so totally better experience

19 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

Hopefully you’re correct but I’ve been disappointed too many times by unfulfilled PCL promises to not be skeptical.

In my opinion the current Seattle boarding process is like the Wild, Wild West where passengers are being allowed to arrive at anytime to prevent chaos during boarding the lower number of passengers. They aren’t following their written rules about turning away passengers who arrive prior to their Arrival Group time. Eventually they will likely enforce their written procedures but I lack confidence in Jan’s verbal statements about how Priority Boarding will be handled in the near future.

It’s merely my opinion & I respect your differing opinions…not much is definitive during these challenging times for the cruise industry & their passengers.

The true test of how the arrival groups will work is once the ships start leaving from San Pedro. Seattle has no where outside for anyone to wait and no big parking lot.San Pedro will have lots of us  driving to the port.Also it appears on some sailings there will be two Princess ships in port. If for any reason there is delayed boarding, could be a real mess.

• Like 1

Here's a new twist.  As I was walking out my door this morning, I received a phone call from Princess regarding an app problem I report 3 weeks ago.  

First:  It is obvious that one hand does not talk to the other.  My problem was resolved on Saturday night via email used as texting...real time communications.  And then again via Ocean Navigator on Monday.  

Second:  I did ask phone tech about an arrival/boarding time.  Already forgot her name (left house, returned within 2 hours....senior moment).  But she told me that boarding times are now assigned 20 (twenty) days out.  I forgot her lame reason.  When I asked to confirm the number 20, she repeated the same scripted jargon.  

I really don't understand why this has to be so difficult. 

To add:  When I spoke to the nice gentleman on Monday, I mentioned that "others" have been able to be assigned a boarding time when no one else on the cruise was able to get anything on the app.  He explained that that was not possible if the arrival window was not available to him or me.  I am so over this "choose your arrival time" problem.

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/29/2021 at 11:30 AM, Steelers36 said:

I have to disagree.  What you were told by the CR rep is not what Jan Swartz stated.  We can show up early and be checked in and then wait in the Elites & Suites seating area for boarding to begin.  This is more what is going on and is documented even in today's Live From (Majestic).  What does not appear to be happening is any sense of priority within an Arrival Group as more than one guest has reported just Green Lane and Yellow Lane and not divided. 

I guess in-depth detail and photo evidence of the terminal setup is necessary to settle the situation.  I suspect it is not always consistent and who knows what they are going to do exactly when T2 at PE kicks into gear later this year.

ETA:  Any member here can go back to the first Live From on Majestic to Alaska and there is a report or two of the Jan Swartz meeting.

ETA:  From Majestic Princess Live From July 25:

Jeez one laaaaaast note for the elite/suites boarding Sunday. There is a lounge if you arrive out of your boarding group. So no waiting outside for elite/suites. I understood her to say that elite/suites will be boarded as early as possible regardless of group. I hope others who attended will confirm or report their thoughts. I also understood her to say that if you do NOT have priority boarding your boarding window MUST be observed. 

Our boarding was unique as there were no disembarking pax to deal with. So pleeeeeease do not use any reports of our embarkation with regards to how early we arrived and boarded wrt boarding group as any indicator what that will be moving forward. 

I was like a dog with a bone regarding suite/elites having access to the earliest boarding group. Jan did understand how important this is to many of us. To me it seemed her thoughts were if everyone is ocean ready everyone is essentially given priority as no one waits. I kept going back to many do not want to wait until 1 and then be prioritized. I believe she really understood that getting early access to boarding groups is very important and my take away is that she will work towards that. Again I do hope others who came will confirm my take always and provide theirs. As we all know sometimes we tend to hear what we want to. 

I am 57 days and no boarding group.

Yes that was none other than me @Steelers36is quoting. I know what Jan said and I am certain she understood clearly after I kept rephrasing it. She absolutely said those with priority boarding should just show up regardless of boarding group and that they would be boarded as soon as possible.  
She definitely said those without priority boarding will be asked to wait for their time. 

My next sailing isn’t until oct 27 out of LA (I’m elite and in a full suite). I’ve sailed with Princess 11 times in a full suite & 5 times as elite not in a suite and they really do give a wonderful priory boarding experience in my opinion. I would expect the priority boarding experience to be just as good as pre pandemic. 

I hope folks keep posting about their experiences with priority boarding moving forward. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

I am 57 days and no boarding group.

Yes that was none other than me @Steelers36is quoting. I know what Jan said and I am certain she understood clearly after I kept rephrasing it. She absolutely said those with priority boarding should just show up regardless of boarding group and that they would be boarded as soon as possible.  
She definitely said those without priority boarding will be asked to wait for their time. 

My next sailing isn’t until oct 27 out of LA (I’m elite and in a full suite). I’ve sailed with Princess 11 times in a full suite & 5 times as elite not in a suite and they really do give a wonderful priory boarding experience in my opinion. I would expect the priority boarding experience to be just as good as pre pandemic. 

I hope folks keep posting about their experiences with priority boarding moving forward. 

This is good news as we are driving and will be there early after we park the car.  Anyone know where to park car other than at the pier where it is very expensive?  We want somewhere close to port everglades.  Thanks.

13 minutes ago, mellon1 said:

This is good news as we are driving and will be there early after we park the car.  Anyone know where to park car other than at the pier where it is very expensive?  We want somewhere close to port everglades.  Thanks.

Head to the "Florida Departures" board.

1 minute ago, EDDY0827 said:

Congrats! I love it when a plan comes together.

Me too!  We are arriving about 8:30 am-9:00 am and hoping they will be able to take us right to the pier to wait there.  Wasn't sure if that was too early for the shuttle to take us to the pier.  

18 minutes ago, Westsail32 said:

I'm 25 days out today (you on the five day Cabo?).  Still getting the sorry can't group message.  

Me too for 9/25 on Grand. Was trying to talk to Navigator, have been transferred by the system to regular Princess reps twice because of being on hold for a long time and decided that it was too much for today

30 minutes ago, manunia said:

Me too for 9/25 on Grand. Was trying to talk to Navigator, have been transferred by the system to regular Princess reps twice because of being on hold for a long time and decided that it was too much for today

If everything else is green, don't waste your time.  They are not releasing any arrival times anytime soon.  Each Ocean Navigator has their own time line.   Anywhere from 60 - 45 - 30 - 20 days.  They can't get you on the ship any earlier than the app opens up.  Extremely frustrating.  Just part of my daily routine...hit the button...for app to tell me it's sorry.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Expat Cruise said:

The app is a insult to guests, it does not improve our cruises it makes it harder and less personal. All guest should show Princess if they are unhappy with the app, the only way Princess understands.....in their pocket.

And in the post-cruise survey.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, manunia said:

We are also on this cruise and still getting the ‘check back later’ pop up when trying to choose an arrival time.  

• Like 1

One thing "good" from the latest posts above is that it seems that everyone is finding the same experience.  The situation is far from good, but at least there aren't a few getting in and others being left high and dry with no access to get Arrival Group.  It would be worse if Arrival Group section was flaky and not working for some guests.  If they have not opened it up, at least it doesn't appear to be another system bug.

• Like 1

I'm not sure whether or not I actually need to select arrival and departure groups, since I am flying with Princess EZAir and booking Princess transfers.

When I go to Arrival & Departure Groups in the app and select my cruise, it tells me that they are not available yet. However, it also states the following: "We've got you covered. If you don't select an arrival or departure group, we'll automatically select the best group based on your travel details."

If this actually works as stated, then it's not a big deal for those of us flying. I guess we won't know until it happens.

• Like 1