Santa Barbara Ca suspends cruise ships until Mar. 1 2022

norcalcruzr

wow...that's pretty drastic.  Thanks for posting.  Doesn't affect me, but I do have a few friends on a Majestic cruise.

Checked Princess.com....no mention of cancellation of port.

Edited by cr8tiv1

Not all that drastic...More just a sign of our Pandemic times...

We were on B2B cruises a couple of weeks back that started out as Barcelona to Rome and Rome to Venice...They morphed into Athens to Athens via Santorini, Rhodes and Israel followed by Athens to Athens via Santorini, Mykonos, Rhodes and Cyprus...Then, with just a couple of weeks to go, they canceled the Israeli ports due to a Covid outbreak and it became that second Itinerary twice...and, finally less than a week to sailing and Cyprus got dropped and replaced with Dubrovnik...

We just kept calling it "the Mystery Cruise"...and, by the time it went, we actually didn't really care where they stopped...We just wanted to cruise ANYWHERE.  After a year and a half of no cruises, just being on the ship, eating, drinking, being entertained...having people pick up after us and getting to actually meet and talk to other human beings became far more important than the details of the itinerary--which, of course, now looked nothing like what we originally signed up for...

And, you know what?  IT WAS WONDERFUL!!!

• Like 17
  • Haha 1

@Bruin SteveI am so glad you enjoyed your cruise and we will too. We live outside of San Francisco and drive up and down the coast from time to time. We had already decided we would stay on the ship in LA and Ensenada. That left Santa Barbara and San Diego. We love, love, love Santa Barbara. Just disappointed to find out they have suspended ships until March. 

Cheers, Denise

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jennybenny said:

Oh that’s too bad! Santa Barbara is lovely!! I wonder what port they will add in its place?

Our 10/23/21 cruise on Majestic had SB replace Monterrey which resulted in arriving in SD later at 1100. My guess is SB will be another seaday and back to an earlier arrival in SD.

19 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

Our 10/23/21 cruise on Majestic had SB replace Monterrey which resulted in arriving in SD later at 1100. My guess is SB will be another seaday and back to an earlier arrival in SD.

So, on a SF departing California coastal cruise I don’t get off in LA, and enjoy the Santa Barbara stop. On a LA departing California coastal, I enjoy the Monterey stop and SF stop. I actually prefer to do the California coastal cruise from LA, but without a SB or Monterey stop I might be disappointed enough to reschedule a costal cruise. 

Could they add Catalina Island? 

4 minutes ago, jennybenny said:

So, on a SF departing California coastal cruise I don’t get off in LA, and enjoy the Santa Barbara stop. On a LA departing California coastal, I enjoy the Monterey stop and SF stop. I actually prefer to do the California coastal cruise from LA, but without a SB or Monterey stop I might be disappointed enough to reschedule a costal cruise. 

Could they add Catalina Island? 

Catalina looks sketchy at best. 
https://www.lovecatalina.com/community-information/catalina-cruise-ship-schedule/

Several cities around LA  are requiring negative test results of proof of vaccination for indoor dining.  So not surprised that Santa Barbara canceled cruise stops.

So far the only COVID restrictions in Santa Barbara is mask required indoors.

Edited by nocl

Here’s the latest information. 

Interesting to see what Princess does. I’m on the October 31st cruise out of dry dock with a now cancelled stop in Santa Barbara. 

Here’s more information…..https://www.independent.com/2021/08/30/cruise-ships-on-pause-in-santa-barbara/

Tom🤔

83929789-B6BA-4D9D-9D81-D20052106E7B.jpeg

Edited by trbarton
  • Like 1

I just heard on the news that San Diego was canceling all non-essential surgeries as their hospitals are filling up again.  I’m not really sure If San Diego will be wanting to accept cruise passengers but, time will tell.  
It is just so awesome to be able to cruise again … the ports don’t even matter that much to us.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:
It is just so awesome to be able to cruise again … the ports don’t even matter that much to us.  

That’s exactly what I said when we booked this cruise. I am disappointed we aren’t going ashore in Santa Barbara. I am happy we have the beverage package…another day to sit in our aft cabin and watch the sea go by with a cocktail in hand. 🤗🍹We had already decided to stay on the ship in LA and Ensenada.  
Cheers, Denise

• Like 3

We're on the 10-23 cruise. It's always been a bit of an adventure cruise --flights still not ticketed by AA, no room assigned yet assigned by Princess (our first guarantee cruise), been to all ports except Santa Barbara! I am so looking forward to visiting Muir Woods...... Really looking forward to some pampering after a rough year. Always knew in my heart that Covid could intervene but hope springs eternal . 🥴

• Like 3

Just now, Daniel A said:

How does this square with the CSO requirement for port agreements?  Wouldn't Princess have needed to have a written agreement in place with Santa Barbara?

If they had an agreement, then Santa Barbara canceled it.  There was probably an out clause in the agreement because of the fluidity of covid issues.  Still, with a fully vaccinated ship, I don't see why they canceled the stops?  I know, vaccinated folks can still be infected with the virus... 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

How does this square with the CSO requirement for port agreements?  Wouldn't Princess have needed to have a written agreement in place with Santa Barbara?

same with other cruise lines. All cruises have been cancelled until March 1, 2022.

https://www.santabarbaraca.gov/gov/depts/waterfront/events/cruiseship.asp

• Thanks 1

We are headed to Catalina tomorrow.  Per our hotel, they are following LA county rules right now, so masking, stay 6 feet away.  You can't make dinner reservations, its walkup only, not sure why, but will know better after this weekend.  Hoping all our dining is outside since I'd prefer to do that anyway, its just a nice place to sit outside.

Lived in Santa Barbara for years.  We were on a coastal cruise a few years ago with Santa Barbara as a stop, ship was having a norro breakout.  It made front page news in their paper and I wasn't sure if we were going to be able to get off or not.  They are very cautious there.

2 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:

If they had an agreement, then Santa Barbara canceled it.  There was probably an out clause in the agreement because of the fluidity of covid issues.  Still, with a fully vaccinated ship, I don't see why they canceled the stops?  I know, vaccinated folks can still be infected with the virus... 

Exactly, I don't understand why SB officials think that a fully vaccinated cruise with negative Covid test in place would put the community at risk compared to travelers arriving on land or air.  They could have just placed restriction on indoor dining or whatever to be accessed by fully vaccinated people.  What an overkill!

2 hours ago, ebeluga said:

Exactly, I don't understand why SB officials think that a fully vaccinated cruise with negative Covid test in place would put the community at risk compared to travelers arriving on land or air.  They could have just placed restriction on indoor dining or whatever to be accessed by fully vaccinated people.  What an overkill!

We live very close by and have close relatives in SB.  With out getting political, let's just say SB has a very interesting political environment!

When would you expect Princess to acknowledge this and announce any new itinerary ? My impression is that changes happen often and PAX find out onboard that itinerary has changed. I suppose you could call and ask Princess CSR - wonder if they would know. There is a small chance we would do the Oct 31 out of SFO but no SB makes that even less likely.