Jim_Iain - 9/5 and 9/17 Equinox B2B - Come along for a Live Blog

Jim_Iain

3 hours ago, ymncruise said:

Very clever TV setup. I will have to try it.  How long does it take you to get in your walk? Do you do it all at once or spread it out?

At home  usually 3 hours but that includes my halfway Starbucks stop.

Today I  did about 6 miles before lunch and then finished off.   Started getting hot so I did the last mile on  deck 14.   My normal pace is about 20 minutes per mile but sometimes push it to get my cardio up.    Didn't need that today.... with the stairs up to 15 I've done 112 flights of stairs today.  

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I ask Concierge and she said just at 1,268  -  which is approx. 40% Capacity.   The ship doesn't seem empty but plenty of space at the pool and even the Ocean View.

image.png.39bb79c74975a8f548d5c5ee577fc71e.png

Sounds perfect!  Do they have an idea of how many are booked for the Sept 17th cruise?

26 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Discovered something new to me on deck 15 Lawn Club.  They must have special promotions 

DCF1A88E-1180-4375-8187-820C1ED4AEB3.thumb.jpeg.00b90816515a8815a2a24e1e0d552aa6.jpeg

78FBBD38-08F0-4E60-B043-304689854030.thumb.jpeg.70bdba8bb923ea3ad39d14063980017c.jpeg

Jim

When we were on Equinox in 2019, the Whisky House was used for special scotch tastings. They weren’t every night but were held about 2-3 times throughout our 10 Night cruise. They were scheduled around 5:30pm (lasted about an hour) and were advertised in the Daily Planner. Normally we would see about 5-10 people in attendance.

Now, tastings may be off the table for now, but keep an eye out just in case.

Randy

3 hours ago, MartinsCruise said:

Sounds perfect!  Do they have an idea of how many are booked for the Sept 17th cruise?

I'll see if I can find out but the Concierge in Retreat though it was about the same.   Depending on cancellations. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

Ok...OK.... now for you Tehno-Nerds ---

Here's a tutorial on connecting an  HDMI - Laptop, Roku etc to the  stateroom TV.   This may vary by type of remote and TV in your room.   The one in our bedroom has a Source button on it while the one in the Living  Room doesn't but this works on both.  

First you have to connect your HDMI to the TV -   In the  RS the TV's are mounted in a wall box so was difficult to get to the ports.     Our butler was fantastic and knew how to tilt the  Living Room one and I had already figured how to take the  BR one off the wall to install.

First Turn on TV -

3AC85327-8C2B-4438-9FFD-6B7AECD220F8.thumb.jpeg.188838597ca3453e0d86909a3c0e309c.jpeg

next press the CC underneath the red power button

15D55CAC-E7D1-45CB-BCC0-4B1BBDA3446F.thumb.jpeg.691ab752caceacf31a3a61774f8d5bda.jpeg

B448A100-7BFE-409C-BC0D-B747B869C5B0.thumb.jpeg.e6ccdebe674e7f123ad66b3f50745d62.jpeg

Next press the Menu Button under the yellow button

9C976F36-25F1-4E0D-8994-61E8A745E8AF.thumb.jpeg.0c6ce465216601ed25edc17af3247493.jpeg

Down arrow  the Support 

Down arrow to Source 

351DE89C-725A-495A-A389-F146D88DFB46.thumb.jpeg.bf81da855bc32c00f0fdd677467f7903.jpeg

Select Source

FC7E6D54-68ED-40E9-946F-D7FCE50A6D83.thumb.jpeg.f2cfd26301d96ac3efb9385a39ec51d4.jpeg

Proof of concept   - streaming Judge Judy on YouTube TV

B06BA2CF-32ED-4839-95C7-03BBA4F3921E.thumb.jpeg.d26f93331a5a7a217d7f43de29d09329.jpeg

Now you've given me a dilemma.  Do I tell my DH he could do this with our Roku for our November cruise so he can watch his college football games or do I keep it to myself.... what to do, what to do.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 9/2/2021 at 5:07 PM, Host Anne said:

Testing - By the way, Celebrity does accept the ID Now test at Walgreens (they've added this to their website).  We had our results in 30 minutes before we flew to St. Maarten for Summit two weeks ago.

I'm already excited to follow along, Jim!!!  Keep the posts coming!

Our flight leaves at 10:10 AM on Wed, 9/15 so no time to get the test before we leave.  I checked to see if there were any Walgreens in FLL giving the antigen test and they showed pharmacies in PA.  Right now our best option is an antigen test on Wed afternoon about 20 minutes from our hotel in FLL. 

Edited by taylortime05

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Really so easy you will kick yourself in the rear for not figuring it out.   But then again I'm a techno nerd.

First type your message on  you PC and post.  

On  iPhone log into Cruise Critic and open your post.    You have about 15 minutes from when you post to be able to edit so keep that in mind 

Top Right --- select Edit

image.png.f706c2d5229cdd05d8c01b9ee1e2b3a9.png

On iPhone click the button at the bottom of the edit window and choose  the ADD FILE and choose Photo Library --- select the files and press enter.    They will preload at the bottom.

Select where you want to input and click insert beneath the pictue.

Then hit Save

Thanks a bunch.  I don't usually do CC on my iPhone, so I wouldn't have thought of that.  Will give it a try.  You're kind to share your tech knowledge with those of us who are somewhat tech challenged!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, taylortime05 said:

Our flight leaves at 10:10 AM on Wed, 9/15 so no time to get the test before we leave.  I checked to see if there were any Walgreens in FLL giving the antigen test and they showed pharmacies in PA.  Right now our best option is an antigen test on Wed afternoon about 20 minutes from our hotel in FLL. 

If you would prefer to test before you leave home, which would enable you to pull the plug on flying to Florida if one of you tested positive, you could use the proctored Abbot BinoxNow home test, which Celebrity would accept.  Proctors are available 24/7, so you could do it really early on Wednesday morning, well before you had to leave for the airport.  (On the oft chance that you had to wait too long for a proctor, you could use a testing site in FLL as a backup.) 

4 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

In a large series I love reading  in order  and see how the Characters evolve.    On the Aaron Elkins series I listened to the 2nd first  and when I read the first I already knew what happened to a couple of the characters.       I'll have to see  if I can get the whole series.

Jim, normally I would agree 100% with you, there's a flow that's often needed in a series that's gone on so long as In Death, and Nora(J.D.)establishes and introduces recurring characters into the second and third titles(no spoilers from me 😆). You shouldn't have a very hard time finding the whole series(I own them all in a mix of paperback, hardcover and Kindle), the earliest titles are definitely available for sale both new and used(Better World Books is my favorite used source), as well as at the library.

7 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Try a different location.    We are adjacent to the Library and have a really strong signal.    I was in the same RS about 8 years ago and the internet was so bad in the room I had to go out into the hallway and sit in the chair overlooking the Library to use the internet.   

IPhone App Speed Test.      -   Just ran again and getting 3.86 down and 1.90 Up

I just ran using Google Speed Test and getting 3.92 / 2.30

Sitting in the library at 11:20pm.

Still getting 2mb/sec on Google speed test. 

(Stream internet)

Screenshot_20210906-232013.png

Edited by fstuff1

7 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

How's the room service coffee?  We have always had an issue with room service coffee being too bitter.  Always taste like it's a day old and warmed over. 

I've heard that the UK Staycation cruises have been offering the use of an electric kettle (!) to cabins making that request so as to make hot water for tea.  Was pondering whether that would be even remotely possible on Constellation such that I could bring my own brew along.  I'm fussy about my coffee, and neither bitter nor acidic cut it.

2 hours ago, canderson said:

I've heard that the UK Staycation cruises have been offering the use of an electric kettle (!) to 

It's a particular British thing. However I am sure that you can ask, and you may get. 

We will be bringing some of our own tea bags and I usually bring coffee bags, although I am not too sniffy about coffee, as I cannot drink instant or stuff that has been hanging around long. 

Also bringing a hot water bottle to fill so can sit on the sunset verandah and watch the wake if the weather is chilly.

6 hours ago, cocobakerchica said:

Jim, normally I would agree 100% with you, there's a flow that's often needed in a series that's gone on so long as In Death, and Nora(J.D.)establishes and introduces recurring characters into the second and third titles(no spoilers from me 😆). You shouldn't have a very hard time finding the whole series(I own them all in a mix of paperback, hardcover and Kindle), the earliest titles are definitely available for sale both new and used(Better World Books is my favorite used source), as well as at the library.

12 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

In a large series I love reading  in order  and see how the Characters evolve.    

I also own them all in a mix of paperback, hardcover, and lately, had no choice but try Kindle.

I'm an avid reader, and J.D. Robb (and Robert B. Parker) for that matter, are not available in Israel.

My son was a flight attendant (until he was laid off due to Covid, along with many of his colleagues).

I used to order 2nd hand books to his crew hotels, which were kind enough to keep them until he had a layover in US....

books.jpg

• Like 2

17 hours ago, NBliving said:

Now you've given me a dilemma.  Do I tell my DH he could do this with our Roku for our November cruise so he can watch his college football games or do I keep it to myself.... what to do, what to do.

You can tell him to bring it.    There is one trick you can forget to tell him.   In order to get a streaming device e.g.Roku you have to set up a mini router or your PC and set it up in Hotel Mode.

You can't just plug in and go you have to be able to get to the logon screen.   There are many tutorials on YouTube.

Just think if you had him watching Football he will be out of your hair as you book all those Spa appointments. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, hawkesbaynz said:

It's a particular British thing. However I am sure that you can ask, and you may get. 

We will be bringing some of our own tea bags and I usually bring coffee bags, although I am not too sniffy about coffee, as I cannot drink instant or stuff that has been hanging around long.

We also bring tea.  Bigelow Constant Comment decaf for late evening, and Yorkshire Gold for that first cup of the morning eye opener for DW.  That responds well to hot water from the butler, but the coffee may be trickier without a more direct source of hot water.

I'll give it a go and we'll see if one turns up.   Guess it's something to ask the shoreside concierge when the phone call / email comes this time.  It's something I'd never heard of until recently.

17 hours ago, taylortime05 said:

If you can obtain one the home proctored home self test kits and do it at your leisure.    I hear the wait time is sometimes 20-30 minutes.   There is a good thread on it. 

15 hours ago, cocobakerchica said:

Appreciate it.    I used to read frequently but have shifted to Audiobooks and listen to them while I'm out walking.    I get lost in the book and the time flies by.     I can normally find most books in Audiobook format and even can download many of them from our Library. 

14 hours ago, funatseascott said:

A new amenity for the suite.  Will try them out tonight to see how comfortable the pajamas are.  Jim, how did you like them?

B7A5E89D-2D31-455B-B7C2-F1350CD818F0.jpeg

We turned down the offer -   I guess they use to give you the Robes.  

After seeing how nice they are we may tell Glenn that we changed our mind.