The Daily for Saturday September 04, 2021

richwmn

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

DD's test results are in - she flunked!  For once I can say yay!😀

What a relief that must be for you!  Enjoy the packing, and the anticipation of your time on board.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

Thanks, Jacqui and Graham, Chief and Vanessa - it has been a fun day.  Pat has checked us in for our Eurodam cruise, and booked the Tamarind for the first evening  on board.  Now I'm ready to go!

Super news!    

• Like 6

10 hours ago, dobiemom said:

Embarkation day! 😀 It’s been 22 months since I’ve been on a ship. 
Remember when I went for my rapid COVID test on Wed I had apparently signed up for a free PCR test? The PCR results came in at 4:05am (about 67 hours). This one says SARS-CoV-2 “not detected.” (The rapid antigen came back negative in 15 minutes.)

Yesterday we had a bit of controversy about whether "negative" was pass or fail.  You're negative and you get to sail.  That sounds like passing to me.

Roy

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, aliaschief said:

Saw it quite often when I was TDY in Mildenhall many years ago and also when I lived in Germany.

Next time your on a Dam ship and dining in Pinnacle you must try Chef David Bourke’s candied bacon appetizer. Just don’t tell your doctor!😁

Is that what is called "clothesline bacon"?  If so, we learned of it on CC and tried it on our last cruise.  It was great.

We are having pleasant early Fall weather here and I have been working every day on my rental house to get it spiffed up for sale.  Replaced three overhead lights in the kitchen today with the LED lights on sale now at Costco.  First two went in OK, but as I was finishing the third one, I needed three hands to install the glass cover and the stainless steel ring and screw in the nuts to hold it on.  Needless to say, the glass slipped out and fell to the floor.  So I will buy a new one tomorrow.  Not a big deal, as they are less than $18 for the whole thing.

I had two buckets full of spent shotgun shells to get rid of.  Contacted the person in charge of the local shooting range and he said he would take them, so delivered them this morning.  I think tomorrow I might take a day off and contact some landscape companies to get an estimate on cutting brush and trimming some trees to improve the water view.  

I used to be able to work outside at least eight hours.  Now, at 81, after about 4 hours I am ready to come home and relax with a glass of malbec.

Ray

• Like 19

47 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

Is that what is called "clothesline bacon"?  If so, we learned of it on CC and tried it on our last cruise.  It was great.

Ray

Yes clothes line bacon! I forgot the name but will never forget the taste! We’ve had it several times in Pinnacle.

Bruce

• Like 7

9 hours ago, kazu said:

Glad you are safe and sound at the cottage.  Yikes on the covid screening - hopefully no big deal. 🤞 

The screening was no big deal, just an inconvenience. The Canadian Customs agent gave us two in-home test kits - you have 24 hours to do the test. It was all done via cell phone. You set up an account with the test providers (Switch Health in Ontario) and then do a Zoom-like meeting with one of their reps. They walk you through the procedure and make sure you don't cheat during the nasal swab!  You pack the sample and Purolator comes and picks it up. Our only issue was the timing of the test. By the time we got unpacked and settled, it was past their 9 pm quitting time. So we had to do it the following morning which was near the end of our 24 hour window. So far, no OPP or Mounties have come looking for us!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 6

1 minute ago, Overhead Fred said:

The screening was no big deal, just an inconvenience. The Canadian Customs agent gave us two in-home test kits - you have 24 hours to do the test. It was all done via cell phone. You set up an account with the test providers (Switch Health in Ontario) and then do a Zoom-like meeting with one of their reps. They walk you through the procedure and make sure you don't cheat during the nasal swab!  You pack the sample and Purolator comes and picks it up. Our only issue was the timing of the test. By the time we got unpacked and settled, it was past their 9 pm quitting time. So we had to do it the following morning which was near the end of our 24 hour window. So far, no OPP or Mounties have come looking for us!

I don’t think they send the OPP  unless you are breaking quarantine 😉 😂 

Seriously, good that it wasn’t that bad and hopefully you get the results soon and of course, that you fail (or pass depending on how you look at it) 😉 

Hope it is negative.  Enjoy Ontario and your cottage it’s been a long time for you.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Overhead Fred said:

Enjoy your get away! Glad you got to get back to your property.

• Like 5

Thanks for all the daily news.

Have visited Exmouth, like @garlictown remember the Flies!  and the heat.

Tailgating here means the same as in the UK.

@Mr. Boston very sad to read about Paws.   Fur babies are important family members

.@JAM37 good that your DH gaining strength.

@dobiemomgood news with your test result.

@ger_77pleased that you had a successful visit, thank you for sharing the beautiful sunset photo.

Bon Voyage to all CC members embarking a BHB today.

Today,  another 20 Community Delta cases in Aucland.  Hoping the numbers will soon drop.

One of the victims of the Auckland terrorist attack has been discharged from hospital, 3 remain in ICU.

The fog has lifted, time for a walk.

Stay safe, take care everyone.

• Like 12

9 hours ago, Overhead Fred said:

Greetings All!

Just a quick note to say we made it into Canada OK (got "randomly" picked for in-home COVID screening 😉) and are safely ensconced at the cottage. Everything is in good shape after our almost 2-year absence!

Pleased that you are safely at your cottage, and that all is well.  

Hope that your test  results will be negative.

• Like 5

Bacon is my favorite food!  Bacon, some iceberg lettuce, a few giant homegrown tomatoes, Hawaiian rolls or brioche = perfect BLTs for lunch on Labor Day! 🇺🇸   Thanks to all for the pictures, travel news, and good cheer!

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Overhead Fred said:

Did you not have to take a test before you crossed the border?  And did you use the ArriveCanada app?

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Overhead Fred said:

Glad you made it safely to the cottage.  I'm sure you'll be fine, the OPP are busy elsewhere.🙂

How long are you staying?  

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Did you not have to take a test before you crossed the border?  And did you use the ArriveCanada app?

Yes we did a PCR test before we left and used the ArriveCAN app - the app seemed pretty well designed worked fine. Canada is randomly picking people for additional testing when they cross the border. Some crossings can do the test on site. That was not an option at Sault Ste Marie.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, puppycanducruise said:

Glad you made it safely to the cottage.  I'm sure you'll be fine, the OPP are busy elsewhere.🙂

How long are you staying?  

We will stay for a couple of weeks to make sure things are ship-shape for next spring/summer - which will hopefully be fairly normal! We also have some banking, insurance, and property tax business to attend to. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Overhead Fred said:

Yes we did a PCR test before we left and used the ArriveCAN app - the app seemed pretty well designed worked fine. Canada is randomly picking people for additional testing when they cross the border. Some crossings can do the test on site. That was not an option at Sault Ste Marie.

Thanks!  So it was just the luck of the draw!   We got stopped once crossing into the States, even though we had our Nexus cards, for "special treatment".😉

• Like 3