Hypothetical Question-- what would you do in this situation?

Sheltielover73

Say 2 best friends are booked on an upcoming Celebrity Cruise- they ALWAYS cruise together, for years and years and they've had so much fun!

So it comes to the day they need to take a Covid test - so 2 or 3 days prior they each test, and low and behold one of them tests positive!

(note- that they are not testing together or have physically seen each other) 

If you were the negative friend- would you still go on the cruise? B/c you love cruising and don't mind going on your own...

And if so, would you then pay your best friend for her half of the cabin. Bc, thinking Celebrity's policy is if someone in the cabin tests positive you can get a refund for a future cruise.... What would you do? 

Edited by Sheltielover73

I’m not sure I would want to go alone but that’s just me.  I think as long as the person testing negative repaid their friend it would be fine to go on the cruise.  It would NOT be cool to expect the person testing positive to pay half when they are not able to go.    However another consideration for me would be if my friend wanted to rebook at a later date when they would presumably test negative.   If I could swing going twice (either financially or work wise) then I would go on the original cruise and book another with my friend.  If I could only go on one cruise then I would wait and go with my friend.  

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Sheltielover73 said:

Say 2 best friends are booked on an upcoming Celebrity Cruise- they ALWAYS cruise together, for years and years and they've had so much fun!

So it comes to the day they need to take a Covid test - so 2 or 3 days prior they each test, and low and behold one of them tests positive!

(note- that they are not testing together or have physically seen each other) 

If you were the negative friend- would you still go on the cruise? B/c you love cruising and don't mind going on your own...

And if so, would you then pay your best friend for her half of the cabin. Bc, thinking Celebrity's policy is if someone in the cabin tests positive you can get a refund for a future cruise.... What would you do? 

The real question here s/b, what will/would YOU do.  It is irrelevant on what we would do, IMO.

• Like 1

If going solo is OK for you, I’d contact Celebrity and if my friend could get a FCC, they could cancel and get that for a future cruise….with you! And you’d pay the solo up charge. That way, you could cruise in the future with your friend, they don’t loose money and you don’t pay more than solo, which I assume you’ve done if you have no issues going solo. 

Den

• Like 3

So glad you're asking since I asked this very question. Here is what I plan to do: SOLO HERE I COME! Actually there's other friends/family sailing, too.  If I happen to test positive, I will be home. I would not expect a refund, and wouldn't hold anything against my travel roomie.

I do land-based get-a-ways with several girlfriends and the rule is if they cancel, then they forfeit their share of the hotel/activities, whatever is prepaid and non-refundable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

In brief….sail solo.

You are not sick.  Don’t know how that would make you responsible for the friend’s ½ of the fare.

I sort of agree, except the thing that makes it sticky is that these are hypothetically best friends, and the "healthy" friend can take the "sick" friend off the hook by cancelling the cruise under the current program as I understand it.  But if the "healthy" friend travels, the "sick friend has to pay for a cruise that she/he does not get to take.

Tom & Judy

29 minutes ago, TFree said:

I sort of agree, except the thing that makes it sticky is that these are hypothetically best friends, and the "healthy" friend can take the "sick" friend off the hook by cancelling the cruise under the current program as I understand it.  But if the "healthy" friend travels, the "sick friend has to pay for a cruise that she/he does not get to take.

Tom & Judy

I see where you're coming from.  But, cruises take a huge amount of planning and time (not to mention scheduling with work, family and friends.

Just trying to walk in the OP's shoes, if I were her "alleged" friend, I would urge her to go.  Then again, I would have insurance and be covered in that eventuality.

Long and short of it, why punish the healthy cruiser for the misfortunes of the afflicted cruiser?

7 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I see where you're coming from.  But, cruises take a huge amount of planning and time (not to mention scheduling with work, family and friends.

Just trying to walk in the OP's shoes, if I were her "alleged" friend, I would urge her to go.  Then again, I would have insurance and be covered in that eventuality.

Long and short of it, why punish the healthy cruiser for the misfortunes of the afflicted cruiser?

Because they can. Those are the rules. Unless they make exceptions. 

1 minute ago, oskidunker said:

Because they can. Those are the rules. Unless they make exceptions. 

I don't know that the healthy cruiser is holding the afflicted cruiser to any rules.  I believe that's the question.  The afflicted cruiser still has to pay for her share of the fare, regardless of her health status.  The healthy cruiser also pays her ½ of the fare, but she's sailing, nonetheless.

That is, unless, as you state, they made a rule with each other stating that if one can't go, neither of them go, which isn't a very good rule, regardless of the reason one of them backs out of the cruise.

I think it may be a bit more complex in that if someone tests positive, both can cancel and get a credit, but if one cancels and the other still goes the one that was positive can get a credit or refund, the may have to pay a single supplement.  Have heard stories that it does get complex if one uses insurance pre-cruise and the other doesn't.

For me, it would “depend”.  Based on the OP’s post a  few of the facts are not clear.

1.  The friend would be entitled to a cash refund for any monies paid (or FCC as I am not sure of Celebrity’s policy when you are not allowed to cruise).  Or 1/2 of the original charge of the cabin for two guests.  That would be the important fact.

2.  If the OP would be required to pay a supplemental charge if cruising alone, then she would need to pay an additional amount.  I am not sure if this is what the OP means by paying her cabin mates fare?

3.  If Celebrity allows her to cruise at the same 1/2 of the cost of the cabin, then I would pick that option.

4.  I would not expect my cabin mate to forgo a refund, so I could continue to cruise at 1/2 of the cost of the cabin.

The bottom line is that the person testing positive gets their refund/FCC as the first consideration,

• Like 1

If you are willing to put your friend in the same position she would be in if you both cancelled because of her positive result, then do that and go. If not, cancel and go another time. 

If you were to cancel, then you could ask your friend to consider any nonrefundable expenses when squaring up. 

For me it would come down to the monies lost if rescheduling. If everything could be moved to a new date, I would do that.

if a significant amount of money would be lost due to cancellation; there’s no reason for both to miss the vacation. 

I am actually getting ready to discuss this situation with a friend I’m traveling with in a couple weeks. We have a small boat tour and land tour booked. I’m not sure that either are refundable in light of a positive test. I think we should have an agreement ahead about what we would do in the event if one person testing positive. That way no hard feelings if it happens. My viewpoint is that if the trip can be salvaged for at least one person that person should go ahead.

Trying to make an analogy here.  Let's see if it translates.

Two different silos (guests) here, but same farm (cabin).  One silo, healthy person pays their fare share of the cruise, plans for the cruise, is willing to cruise solo if something happens to the other person (silo).  Other silo (guest) pays her part of the fare, but is unfit to go, regardless of the reason.

Is it fair for the guest (silo 1) who can't go to expect the other guest (silo 2) to cancel plans so silo 1 can get a refund, even though silo 2 has already made plans and arrangements to go?  Moreover, is it fair for silo 1 to expect silo 2 to cover her fare even though she was not in any way at fault for causing silo 1's inability to cruise?

Plus, if both have insurance (as they should), this is a moot point.  Silo 1 collects her fare via an insurance claim.  Silo 2 sails happily ever after.

• Like 1