Are there still Wonka Pies on certain ships?

jean87510

19 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

I have only sailed on Explorer of the Seas where I had them.  I usually sail on the smaller vision class ships and never saw the pies after our 2014 cruise.  Are they a thing of the past?

Never heard of them and we've been sailing RCI for more than 10 years.  What exactly are you referring to?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

I have not seen them in a long time.  I think Cafe Lattetudes had them too.  I just googled and found two pictures of them posted in 2015 and 2016, nothing recent.  Looks like they are gone.  I miss Opera cake on the ships, haven't seen that in years.  That was my favorite.

6 minutes ago, BND said:

I have cruised on Freedom, Anthem, Explorer, Oasis, Allure, Grandeur, Vision and Enchantment and have never heard of or seen them.  And, no one on any of our 20+ cruises have ever mentioned them.

My family had them on the Explorer in 2014 at the cafe Promenade.  As you can see by the link I shared, this is not something I am imagining.  My family were discussing them today during a web call and wondering if they still existed.

Just now, reallyitsmema said:

I have not seen them in a long time.  I think Cafe Lattetudes had them too.  I just googled and found two pictures of them posted in 2015 and 2016, nothing recent.  Looks like they are gone.  I miss Opera cake on the ships, haven't seen that in years.  That was my favorite.

I remember eating them and pizza during a monday night football game on the Explorer.  I usually sail the smaller ships and did not see them on there.  I am sailing on the Adventure which has a promenade and I was just wondering if they were still there.

5 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Mine was the sugar free coconut cake. (not the one with the jammy filling in it ick)  That was delightful!  Gone are the days....

1 minute ago, jean87510 said:

I remember eating them and pizza during a monday night football game on the Explorer.  I usually sail the smaller ships and did not see them on there.  I am sailing on the Adventure which has a promenade and I was just wondering if they were still there.

That makes sense because one of the pictures has the pie on one of the triangle pizza plates.  

image.jpeg.3fb42e8ebe2335013d9d34e95f11ca2c.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

What type of pie is it?  Looks like maybe custard?

1 minute ago, flamingos said:

It does.  I have never heard of anything under that name, but I have seen custard pies on occasion.  I'd love to know what makes this one so memorable!

I remember it being more like a pie that was like the filling of a candy bar.  The picture I posted was what I remember, the other picture does look more custardy, even though it is identified as a wonka pie on the blog it comes from.  I definitely don't remember a custard texture or even a cream pie texture.  It was denser than that.  There is actually a recipe posted that I saw on google that leads to cruise critic au but the person who requested the recipe, who is actually a poster on this thread, says the recipe isn't the correct one as the recipe contained white chocolate and they don't think that was in what they had on the ship.  

A nephew of mine loves them and we last cruised with him March 2017.  It was his birthday, so his dad asked our waiter if his son could get a Wonka Pie for dessert on his birthday.  The smile on his face lit up the dining room as our waiter brought out his birthday treat.  The waiters and chefs will do whatever they can to make you happy, such as on this special occasion.

DSC_0952.JPG

Edited by Russ Lomas
  • Like 3