Any idea how long ships will limit occupancy?

pthjudy

I understand that there are no guidelines for percent of the ship occupied, timeline for added passengers, or even if the cruises will continue sailing. My question is more of a logistical one.  How is Royal Caribbean booking cruises for 2022? Are they holding back a certain number of cabins? Are they booking like they did preCovid and if so will they cancel certain bookings if they can’t sail at full capacity? We have booked  a cruise on Anthem for early March. I’m sure no one actually knows the future since we have nothing to compare it to, but perhaps some of you may offer what you predict may happen.

Like over a month ago the CEO or president said the plan was to increase it by 10% a month and they were figuring full capacity by March. However that was before all the delta craziness set it. But my Labor Day cruise was at 50% of double occupancy even though the cruises before/after were lower capacity. So who knows?

1 hour ago, smplybcause said:

Like over a month ago the CEO or president said the plan was to increase it by 10% a month and they were figuring full capacity by March. However that was before all the delta craziness set it. But my Labor Day cruise was at 50% of double occupancy even though the cruises before/after were lower capacity. So who knows?

What ship was this?

1 hour ago, smplybcause said:

Mariner. It was just under 1600 for labor day. Someone posted on here that freedom was 2600 for that same weekend. 

Thanks for the info. We cruise this Monday on Freedom for a b2b and I’m hoping it will be lower.

53 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

Thanks for the info. We cruise this Monday on Freedom for a b2b and I’m hoping it will be lower.

If I'm recalling right from other posts it was 1000 or less before and after. Though it's important to note that the capacity for labor day is at least as many as they are allowing... both ships still had cabins 2 days before. So lower capacity is a function of less people booking vs royal stopping booking. So any booking could have as many as I did. 

Edited by smplybcause

IMO, capacity is driven by demand (or lack thereof) right now.  Who knows how long that will be the driver, but the general public, unlike us hard-core cruisers, just aren't going to see the attraction to cruising w/ all of these ridiculous protocols in place.  This is my opinion, and suspect there is concern amongst the bean counters as well.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, bucfan2 said:

IMO, capacity is driven by demand (or lack thereof) right now.  Who knows how long that will be the driver, but the general public, unlike us hard-core cruisers, just aren't going to see the attraction to cruising w/ all of these ridiculous protocols in place.  This is my opinion, and suspect there is concern amongst the bean counters as well.

Exactly.

I asked our TA about this on Wednesday as we were booking a cruise for late February on MOTS. She told us their information is that all cruises are being booked at 50% capacity right now. In December they will get an update for 2022 and future years being booked.

Even though I hope they are able to start increasing capacity next year, I am looking forward to cruising with HAL for a 12 night in December at half capacity.

We just got off the Ovation with 1768 pax. ( about 36%)  The current cruise is at about 2000.  Since there was a last minute drop in prices for ours I assume their target is higher.  In speaking to some of the higher level staff, I was told that one of the constraints is the capacity of the restaurants with social distancing.  Depending on making adjustments that can continue to be the issue for some time.  They also may need to keep some cabins available for possible quarantine for some time.  I agree that the demand is probably not there yet.  Watching last minute price drops will probably be the way to keep track as time goes on.      It may also vary by market areas.  Some ports may have different limits.        

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Cruise lines are probably sweating an extension of the CSO

The cruise lines want to open safely so they can continue to stay open, and avoid future shut downs.  CLIA did have and continues to have input along with the CDC on what the CSO will be for future cruising.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blizzard54 said:

In speaking to some of the higher level staff, I was told that one of the constraints is the capacity of the restaurants with social distancing.  

Well, that statement coupled with keeping the Windjammer closed for dinner doesn't make much sense to me. 

I still suspect the issue is lack of demand.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

The cruise lines want to open safely so they can continue to stay open, and avoid future shut downs.  CLIA did have and continues to have input along with the CDC on what the CSO will be for future cruising.

They have opened safely. Very safely and with probably better results than anyone could have imagined.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Well, that statement coupled with keeping the Windjammer closed for dinner doesn't make much sense to me. 

We tried to stay on The Allure of the Seas for an additional week and thought we were going to be able to since there were only 1600 on our 8/22 sailing. However we were wrong. They even called the Miami office and were told all rooms available were full for the 8/29 sailing.  The cruise line has limited the number they are allowing to sail.  

• Thanks 3

On 9/11/2021 at 11:25 AM, Ocean Boy said:

My comment was based on what I was told onboard.  It may also have to do with staffing.  When the WJ is open it does require more staffing to operate with the protocols.  

• Like 1

On 9/11/2021 at 4:21 PM, Ocean Boy said:

That seems to be the case according to people who have posted from various ships that have restarted sailing.

the windjammer being closed for dinner is the no 1 reason why i booked a suite for my future cruises on royal. room service from the mdr. 

• Like 1

There were 1,600 passengers on our Allure of the Seas cruise on August 22 -- it might have been higher a week or so before but the new vaccine mandates caused by St. Thomas and the Bahamas not allowing unvaccinated passengers 12 and over to be onboard could have cut the passenger count.  I read  that there were 2,300 passengers last week.  

I’m looking at booking for February.  Almost no suites left and I suppose this is why.  In fact even balcony cabins are showing only one or 2.  I highly doubt that during a pandemic these ships are booked full but assume it’s because they are keeping occupancy down.  I suppose some could be lifts and shifts also.