NCL-bait and switch?

billdadm

29 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

NCL Haven cabin

That’s your problem, right there. You’re assuming we stay in the Haven, that is outrageously priced as far as we are concerned, I think given that you assumed we were Haven customers, you would be correct in saying that Oceania is comparable. But we only stay in balcony cabins or lower (no suites, Havens, penthouses, etc.), so our total cost for the two of us for a week is below $5000. And that’s including airfare. I’ve never seen any deals on Oceania that low. Our upcoming cruise on the Gem is costing us about $2600 including airfare (for 2, mind you), but even if we added on some nice excursions, there’s no way we’re gonna get anywhere close to $5000 even for the two of us. I think you and I are just in different price brackets, and that’s fine. Like I said before, one day we will be able to do something like Oceania, but not at this point. Also, we both work full-time so doing three- and four-week cruises is impossible. I think you seem to have pegged me for rich and retired, and I am neither. 😉 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Thanks.  I don't think I know what  a Free at Sea benefit is.  I was assuming folks were opting in to pay for a drink package.  

Free at Sea is a promotion that NCL runs basically all of the time, where you get several included items with your cruise fare. They typically include the premium beverage package, a $50 excursion credit, Internet, and specialty dining. You can also get the third and fourth people in your cabin for free. And they often have a buy one get one airfare deal.

3 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Free at Sea is a promotion that NCL runs basically all of the time, where you get several included items with your cruise fare. They typically include the premium beverage package, a $50 excursion credit, Internet, and specialty dining. You can also get the third and fourth people in your cabin for free. And they often have a buy one get one airfare deal.

Aw, I can see how my comment would be off base.  Thanks!   

I just don't understand:

• Why you are disappointed that when YOU canceled a cruise that they gave you $500 credit for a $250 down payment.
  • How you don't know how a beverage package works, or basic tipping.  (If you're given a free meal at a restaurant, you still tip the server, right?)
  • How you can possibly get to platinum status and not know to research what is involved with any promotion.

This isn't bait and switch, it's you being unprepared.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, kpjb said:

I just don't understand:

• Why you are disappointed that when YOU canceled a cruise that they gave you $500 credit for a $250 down payment.
  • How you don't know how a beverage package works, or basic tipping.  (If you're given a free meal at a restaurant, you still tip the server, right?)
  • How you can possibly get to platinum status and not know to research what is involved with any promotion.

This isn't bait and switch, it's you being unprepared.

preach! 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

I think you mean “many folks with fat wallets.“

We’ve looked at doing Oceania Cruises and it’s easily 2 to 3 times more expensive than NCL for even the cheapest cabins, and they’re always sold out before we could get them. One day, when I’m rich and famous, LOL. Right now, it’s just out of our league. 

Take a look at Oceania’s prices and consider what is included.   It’s honestly not that much more than NCL when all is said and done, especially since NCL’s prices have skyrocketed of late.  

Edited by LNielsen
To include further info.

2 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

OP is upset that he paid $250...and instead of a cash refund he gets $500 in credit.  Sounds like a good deal to me.  If I knew about it I would have put down $250, canceled, and get double that in credit.

Cash refunds don’t have an expiration date, FCC’s very well may.  

2 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

That’s your problem, right there. You’re assuming we stay in the Haven, that is outrageously priced as far as we are concerned, I think given that you assumed we were Haven customers, you would be correct in saying that Oceania is comparable. But we only stay in balcony cabins or lower (no suites, Havens, penthouses, etc.), so our total cost for the two of us for a week is below $5000. And that’s including airfare. I’ve never seen any deals on Oceania that low. Our upcoming cruise on the Gem is costing us about $2600 including airfare (for 2, mind you), but even if we added on some nice excursions, there’s no way we’re gonna get anywhere close to $5000 even for the two of us. I think you and I are just in different price brackets, and that’s fine. Like I said before, one day we will be able to do something like Oceania, but not at this point. Also, we both work full-time so doing three- and four-week cruises is impossible. I think you seem to have pegged me for rich and retired, and I am neither. 😉 

Here you go: one week/balcony Oceania Marina (Venice to Rome) $2400/person w/o air. But you still get unlimited internet, no charge beverages or specialty restaurants, et al. (and far better food and service than NCL). The right TA will add your gratuities and share  commissions, which on this cruise might put $250-500 in your pocket.

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/mediterranean-cruises/venice-to-rome-MNA220414/?sr=%2Fcruise-finder%2F%23duration%3D*-7%26sort%3Dfeatured%3Adesc%26page%3D1%26pageSize%3D10

BTW: Caribbean would be even less expensive.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, phillygwm said:

FWIW, the beverage package gratuity is $138.60 per person, or $19.80 per day.  If you're not consuming 2 drinks per day, fine.  You could opt out of the package and just pay ala carte.

Personally, I drink (a lot) more on a cruise than I do at any other time of the year.  If I got an itemized bill it would be a heck of a lot more than I'm paying.

Looking at booking a cruise with the Sail at sea promo but it shows this as terms.

20% gratuities on the retail value of the dining and beverage package are included 
If this a different offer to the one shown above because it looks to me that gratuities  are included or am I missing something.

2 hours ago, cruiseaholic78 said:

Looking at booking a cruise with the Sail at sea promo but it shows this as terms.

20% gratuities on the retail value of the dining and beverage package are included 
If this a different offer to the one shown above because it looks to me that gratuities  are included or am I missing something.

If you are booking through EU you pay 99€ for Free at Sea, this includes your gratuities for the beverage and dining packages. In US the grats are extra

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, jefarl said:

What I am not happy is the the package doesn’t included Bottled Water or specialty coffees ? Now that seems pretty cheap on NCl’s part. 

That's correct.  For this, you'd need the Premium Plus package, which is another ~$240.  I actually DID sign up for this because, if you like higher end booze (or drink a lot of bottle/sparkling water and specialty coffee) it can actually be worthwhile.

Edited by phillygwm

I purchased a Cruise First a few months ago to take advantage of the bonus $250 but I was sure to read through all the terms and conditions (fine print) before I did. 

I am actually surprised that the OP is getting an FCC for $500.

My interpretation was that if I cancelled, I would lose the promotional value and that I would get an FCC worth what I paid $250... so kind of like what happens when you cancel with a CruiseNext without the bonus. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phillygwm said:

That's correct.  For this, you'd need the Premium Plus package, which is another ~$240.  I actually DID sign up for this because, if you like higher end booze (or drink a lot of bottle/sparkling water and specialty coffee) it can actually be worthwhile.

I completely agree with you about the overall value of the upgrade.

However, just to make the cost/value more clear, the combined daily costs ($19.80 USD/pp/per day + $34.80 USD/pp/per day for upgrade = $54.60USD per person, per day. 

Absolutely good value overall, IF you and travel companion(s) drink bottled water, fresh-squeezed juice, power drinks, Premium liquors/liqueurs and or wine/champagne. 

Also note, by-the-bottle wine/champagne have a "special list" and are only included in Dining Rooms. (What I haven't seen, for certain, is IF that rule applies only at EVENING MEALS, but that "seems" to be the case.  But that does not matter to us.)  The current overview of the package can be found on NCL if you search their site for Beverage Packages and open the link for the PDF.

1 hour ago, JillK said:

I purchased a Cruise First a few months ago to take advantage of the bonus $250 but I was sure to read through all the terms and conditions (fine print) before I did. 

I am actually surprised that the OP is getting an FCC for $500.

My interpretation was that if I cancelled, I would lose the promotional value and that I would get an FCC worth what I paid $250... so kind of like what happens when you cancel with a CruiseNext without the bonus. 

Generally, the Cruise First promotions are such that you pay a lesser amount to buy a certificate (with an expiration date) worth a larger amount which can be applied to pay for a future cruise.  The amounts change now and then depending on NCL's current promotion.  If you book a cruise with the certificate, the certificate gets removed from your account and applied to your cruise payment.  If you then cancel the cruise, the certificate gets put back in your account -- with the same expiration date it originally had.

Today, the Cruise First offer is "Pay $150 and get a certificate valued at $300".

It has, in the past (and likely again at some point in the future), been "Pay $250 and get a certificate valued at $500".

So with a cancellation, the certificate returned to your account would be $300 or $500 for the two examples above.

18 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

As far as I am concerned these "drink packages" that are offered by many cruise lines are little more than a sales gimmick.  I enjoy 2-3 drinks during HH; maybe another drink or two before dinner and a couple of glasses of wine with dinner.  Maybe a Bloody Mary or Mimosa during the late morning.  Maybe a nightcap before bedtime, but, I have never found these packages to be worth it for me.  

Have you ever done the math on this?  Based on what you list above, I think you would save money by getting the drink package.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

As far as I am concerned these "drink packages" that are offered by many cruise lines are little more than a sales gimmick.  I enjoy 2-3 drinks during HH; maybe another drink or two before dinner and a couple of glasses of wine with dinner.  Maybe a Bloody Mary or Mimosa during the late morning.  Maybe a nightcap before bedtime, but, I have never found these packages to be worth it for me.  

6-8 alcoholic drinks a day actually covers the cost of the package, if the above is a daily occurrence.