What's the point of the gelato stand (~$5) when ice cream is free at the buffet?

fstuff1

1 hour ago, Bo1953 said:

LOL - just like many other "words" and their definitions, the application of the word 'milk' is one of them which is ever evolving and many who 'choose' to not go along or with the change (kicking and screaming of course) while the rest of us accept the new application(s) and not worry about it.

Then again, if one represents dairy farmers and/or the meat industry it is a valid point, technically, as they choose to apply or restrict the definition of certain terms... not only to food but to other areas of living, too.

bon appetit and bon voyage

FYI.  It shouldn't be called breast milk because it doesn't come from a cow.  🙂

Edited by zitsky
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, oskidunker said:

Gelato is usually higher density and less air. Very wonderful in Italy, not so much in other places. Princess has it and I limed their dining room ice cream better. If its betterI would pay. If not, no. I would try it once to see. 

We have had excellent Gelato outside of Italy particularly in the Adriatic region like in Croatia.  But we have never found the really excellent version in the USA.

4 hours ago, zitsky said:

FYI.  It shouldn't be called breast milk because it doesn't come from a cow.  🙂

FYI, you need to repeat your elementary biology classes. Milk is secreted from the breasts of female mammals, not just cows. 😒

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, mom says said:

FYI, you need to repeat your elementary biology classes. Milk is secreted from the breasts of female mammals, not just cows. 😒

That's interesting.  I had no idea!  Can I buy breast milk in my local store?

• Haha 1

So happy we are  having a "normal" cruise conversation- debating ice cream vs. gelato and debating it to death! love it!! 

I like the pistachio and chocolate...DH and I usual hit the gelato place twice during a 7 day cruise....ummm.   Can hardly wait until January! 

Amy

38 minutes ago, mom says said:

Well mammals are the class of animals that have mammary glands- thus the name.  😊

30 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Cows milk, yes. Goats milk, perhaps. 

Human milk, No. But it can be bought from a milk bank with a doctor's  prescription.  

Edited by mom says

48 minutes ago, zitsky said:

19 minutes ago, mom says said:

Cows milk, yes. Goats milk, perhaps. 

Human milk, No. But it can be bought from a milk bank with a doctor's  prescription.  

49 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Okay, okay I Am going to get fired if they continue to find that I Am howling at posts on CC...

Let us not let this devolve any further, at least for now... LOL

Chin Chin and bon voyage

On 9/11/2021 at 6:03 PM, fstuff1 said:

And the classic drink package doesn't cover gelato.

Sure, Elites and above get 1 free scoop per cruise.

And I guess premium drink holders don't have to wait till the buffet is open.

But overall, what's the point since ice cream is free?

The more I think about the title of your thread, kind of could say the same about upgraded steak, sushi  or wine in a specialty restaurant, what's the point if you have AI and can just eat in Luminae/MDR or stay within package beverage options. IMO the point is they are catering to many different taste's and budgets.  BTW I love gelato discussions!!!  

Edited by LGW59

31 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Okay, okay I Am going to get fired if they continue to find that I Am howling at posts on CC...

Let us not let this devolve any further, at least for now... LOL

Chin Chin and bon voyage

Sorry Bo, but I have to say this...when my ex was pumping milk for our kids, she always would say geez now I know what a cow feels like.  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Can I get a brain freeze if I eat my gelato to fast?. 😂 We always get the free scoops of gelato and like them. Now which flavor of gelato do I want and do I want the gelato in a waffle cone, cup, or both. :classic_unsure:

coffee and pistachio and always in a cup, with a cone!

7 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

coffee and pistachio and always in a cup, with a cone!

I'll pass on coffee flavor as I hate coffee or anything that tastes like coffee. I have done the cup and cone option before. But what's up with those itsy bitsy tiny spoons? I want a real spoon. 🥄

Edited by davekathy

9 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Can I get a brain freeze if I eat my gelato to fast?. 😂 We always get the free scoops of gelato and like them. Now which flavor of gelato do I want and do I want the gelato in a waffle cone, cup, or both. :classic_unsure:

Someone on the forum said the pistachio is good.  If you like coffee get the espresso over vanilla gelato (or ice cream).

Edit: you don't like coffee.  That small spoon makes it seem like you have so much more.

Edited by zitsky

2 minutes ago, davekathy said:

I'll pass on coffee flavor as I hate coffee or anything that tastes like coffee. I have done the cup and cone option before. But what's up with those itsy bitsy tiny spoons? I want a real spoon. 

It allows us to make the gelato last longer and enhance our flavor enjoyment.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

LOL - just like many other "words" and their definitions, the application of the word 'milk' is one of them which is ever evolving and many who 'choose' to not go along or with the change (kicking and screaming of course) while the rest of us accept the new application(s) and not worry about it.

bon appetit and bon voyage

Bo, if I order a Coke and the restaurant gives me a Pepsi, I will refuse the Pepsi -- I will know after the first sip.  But if I am bleeding, any adhesive bandage will suffice even if it is not a Johnson & Johnson brand Band-Aide (which I seem to recall is "ouchless").

Linoleum is considered to be the first brand name to lose protection because it became generic through widespread use.  Kleenex is another.  And the Cow and Goat Association is fighting hard to protect the diary meaning of "milk," but I drink almost as much "coconut milk" as cow milk.  Now, about coconut milk:  it is a blend of coconut "water" and coconut "meat", which must drive purists crazy!

We now return you to your regular scheduled programming.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

We always get the free scoops

So, when Pinboy graduated to Elite-- with all those " Free " ( ??? ) perks after spending thousands of $ US and couldn't wait for the gelato stand to open--- Yup, I asked for 2 scoops --- bragged ( ?? )that I'm now Elite, not knowing that 99.25 % are Elite or higher.

The young lady just nodded and said " Elite guests are only entitled to one scoop "  and out came the larger of the two scoops.  

You must be Super Duper Elite or even related to the the 18 yr old Server to get free scoop .

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

So, when Pinboy graduated to Elite-- with all those " Free " ( ??? ) perks after spending thousands of $ US and couldn't wait for the gelato stand to open--- Yup, I asked for 2 scoops --- bragged ( ?? )that I'm now Elite, not knowing that 99.25 % are Elite or higher.

The young lady just nodded and said " Elite guests are only entitled to one scoop "  and out came the larger of the two scoops.  

You must be Super Duper Elite or even related to the the 18 yr old Server to get free scoop .

Yes I get free scoops every time.  You have to know the secret handshake and that I cannot share with you.  😁

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, zitsky said:

Someone on the forum said the pistachio is good.  If you like coffee get the espresso over vanilla gelato (or ice cream).

Edit: you don't like coffee.  That small spoon makes it seem like you have so much more.

I even hate the smell of coffee. 🤢