What's the point of the gelato stand (~$5) when ice cream is free at the buffet?

fstuff1

9 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

Right, but you compared gelato vs ice cream to burgers vs filet mignon. That's not a valid comparison. Burgers and filet mignons are such different products that you can visually see the difference easily. Gelato and ice cream are barely different - to the point that a good palate can taste the difference but that's all. 

You're overthinking this.  🙂

13 hours ago, canderson said:

Which brings me to a question:

Has anyone who has cruised since the restart found any of Celebrity's positively YUMMY cinnamon ice cream available?  For years we'd miss it on a cruise when it was served only during lunch on a port day.  Finally started asking our waiter to have them make up a batch for us for dinner for longer cruises.

Yes, Cinnamon ice cream was available in the buffet on boarding day on Edge a few weeks ago.

Royal has pretty much given up on 'interesting' ice cream flavors in the MDR, and i'm not aware of them ever having scoop ice cream available in the buffet, so I sort of made it a priority to keep an eye out for any fun scoop ice cream flavors showing up when I was on Celebrity Edge.

3 minutes ago, karl_nj said:

Yes, Cinnamon ice cream was available in the buffet on boarding day on Edge a few weeks ago.

Excellent!  Thanks for the confirmation.  Didn't want to insist on something that was no longer possible.  They would use a quality medium grind Indonesian cinnamon, not some junk from Sysco, and it was fantastic.  Have not once found anything remotely similar on land, so always look forward to it on X cruises.

22 hours ago, gerelmx said:

There is no comparison between the ice cream at the Buffet and the Gelato from Cafe al Bacio,  I love Gelato

Wait a second...

There's scoop ice cream at the buffet?  Seriously never noticed, or if I noticed, it never registered.

Nor have I ever tried the gelato, even my free scoop, but I have wondered why it's a 'thing' that justifies as much space as it takes up.  It must be profitable, I guess.

Now, I have walked by the self-serve soft-serve and poured (squirted? oozed?) myself a bit of that.

3 hours ago, canderson said:

Excellent!  Thanks for the confirmation.  Didn't want to insist on something that was no longer possible.  They would use a quality medium grind Indonesian cinnamon, not some junk from Sysco, and it was fantastic.  Have not once found anything remotely similar on land, so always look forward to it on X cruises.

See what you've done? Now everyone wants ice cream!  I guess that means more gelato for me.

On 9/11/2021 at 6:03 PM, fstuff1 said:

And the classic drink package doesn't cover gelato.

Sure, Elites and above get 1 free scoop per cruise.

And I guess premium drink holders don't have to wait till the buffet is open.

But overall, what's the point since ice cream is free?

They have different taste and flavour profiles, some like both types, some only like one or the other and some like neither...

My only challenge is that, none of them are vegan on X and I Am working on that too!!! LOL

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

18 hours ago, miched said:

I am sure that most people couldn’t tell the difference in a taste test between the gelato and their ice cream.   If it makes them happy to spend $5 extra for the perceived  perception then go for it 

It is the same with bottled water.  Penn and Teller had a show called  BS.  In one episode they did bottled water compared to NYNY city water.   The bottled water was filled with NYNY a city water and the other was NYNY city water. In a glass.     The testers all chose the  bottled as tasting better. It was the same.   Filled from the same hose 

Like anything some think all bourbons, whiskey, coffee and etc are the same.   People that are more than casual drinkers can tell the difference 

I am sure it is the same for those that consume a lot of gelato can tell the difference and there are also different qualities and I don’t think X is really a premium type that you would get in Italy 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Gelato is usually higher density and less air. Very wonderful in Italy, not so much in other places. Princess has it and I limed their dining room ice cream better. If its betterI would pay. If not, no. I would try it once to see. 

On 9/11/2021 at 6:22 PM, cruisestitch said:

Why sell premium tea when teabags are free?

why sell espresso when coffee is free?

I think we all  know the answer.

LOL - apparently some of "us" do not...

bon voyage

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

They have different taste and flavour profiles, some like both types, some only like one or the other and some like neither...

My only challenge none of them are vegan!!! LOL

bon voyage

Do you eat ice cream at home?  What is it made from?

Just now, zitsky said:

Do you eat ice cream at home?  What is it made from?

The 'frozen dessert' treats (ice cream) I have at home can be made from almond milk, rice milk, cashew milk or soy milk as the principal liquid ingredient (usually before sugar, then again there are a few brands where sugar is the first ingredient and I dislike those a great deal)....

bon appetit and bon voyage

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

The 'frozen dessert' treats (ice cream) I have at home can be made from almond milk, rice milk, cashew milk or soy milk as the principal liquid ingredient (usually before sugar, then again there are a few brands where sugar is the first ingredient and I dislike those a great deal)....

Bo!  I never knew!

Good thing Blanton's isn't a dairy product, or... I shudder to think! 🍾

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, canderson said:

Bo!  I never knew!

Good thing Blanton's isn't a dairy product, or... I shudder to think! 🍾

ca - now I know which aisle you skip when in the grocery store!!! LOL

bon voyage

"FunatSeascot posted a great Gelato story on Jim Lain live teview thread..

"and I had Banana and Caramel Gelato in cone bowl with Reese’s pieces and marshmallows added.  Skipped lunch so I could splurge for dessert.  Alexandra, who oversees the Gelato area, is an artist with her serving.  She also relayed she has to taste test the Gelato everyday to ensure quality.  I asked if she needed any help.  Lots of the staff say the Pistachio gelato is the best.  Coffee (with dog) and white hot chocolate as well."

The photo says it all!  Will post as soon as I figure it out!

Just now, hcat said:

"and I had Banana and Caramel Gelato in cone bowl with Reese’s pieces and marshmallows added.  Skipped lunch so I could splurge for dessert.  Alexandra, who oversees the Gelato area, is an artist with her serving.  She also relayed she has to taste test the Gelato everyday to ensure quality.  I asked if she needed any help.  Lots of the staff say the Pistachio gelato is the best.  Coffee (with dog) and white hot chocolate as well."

@funatseascott here is another person with good taste who prefers gelato.

12 minutes ago, hcat said:

39077A9E-0106-414E-8ADB-9D004A79D29C.thumb.jpeg.63b6127c3e6fd041b082c6cd99391b1d.jpeg.jpg

1 hour ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Those vegan frozen desserts are not made with milk as soy beans, rice, almonds and oats do not lactate.   The word “milk” should not apply to ground up nuts, beans or grains.   You may have a frozen dessert but it is not ice cream.

You may be technically correct but is that necessary?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/11/2021 at 11:19 PM, Taishartrueblood said:

From what people are saying, does the premium drink package cover gelato? i dont think it does but people in this thread seem to be equating the two .

To my knowledge, the only relationship between beverage packages and gelato is that both the Classic and Premium packages give you a free affogatto at Cafe Al Bacio - espresso poured over vanilla gelato.

4 minutes ago, NantahalaCruiser said:

To my knowledge, the only relationship between beverage packages and gelato is that both the Classic and Premium packages give you a free affogatto at Cafe Al Bacio - espresso poured over vanilla gelato.

I get that at a local restaurant.  I guess I'll just stay home and get it there.  No need to cruise.  🙂

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, NantahalaCruiser said:

Where is that listed? 

1 per cruise? 

11 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Those vegan frozen desserts are not made with milk as soy beans, rice, almonds and oats do not lactate.   The word “milk” should not apply to ground up nuts, beans or grains.   You may have a frozen dessert but it is not ice cream.

LOL - just like many other "words" and their definitions, the application of the word 'milk' is one of them which is ever evolving and many who 'choose' to not go along or with the change (kicking and screaming of course) while the rest of us accept the new application(s) and not worry about it.

Then again, if one represents dairy farmers and/or the meat industry it is a valid point, technically, as they choose to apply or restrict the definition of certain terms... not only to food but to other areas of living, too.