Promenade view vs interior on Voyager

LDB2016

Hi all! I just wanted to ask for some opinions on whether or not Promenade "windows" are worth the extra $$. I've stayed in interior and balcony staterooms before but have never been on a promenade view room. I personally felt like the balcony was wasted on me because I barely spent any time in it and it didn't help with motion sickness at all so it's not worth the upgrade in my case. Now I'm wondering which of the non-balcony staterooms is right for me. I'm specifically looking at interior vs promenade view. Other than the room feeling slightly bigger, does the window offer any other benefits? Can you enjoy the parades at the Promenade from the room? Is there a way to open the window to let some "fresh" air in? 

I dismissed OV and those virtual balcony ones because I feel like it would make the motion sickness worse, but I'd love to hear your experiences. 

I've also considered just booking a guarantee inside room and hoping it's low and midship but don't know how likely that would be.

My only experience is with Liberty of the Seas but I really enjoyed having a promenade view. I do not spend much time in the room but it was nice to look out and see things happening on the promenade. Just make sure to close the curtains because the rooms across from you can see directly in.

I did not try to open the window but it didn't look like there was a way to.

I was more forward so I did not get to see much of the parade but I saw enough to enjoy it. 

I don't get sea sick so I can't speak on that part. 

• Like 1

We have sailed in a PR view cabin on Explorer, Navigator and Adventure and have always enjoyed them. The layout makes them seem bigger and having the window, even if only overlooking the promenade, prevents them from feeling claustrophobic. You don't get a fantastic view of the promenade, to be honest, but it's still better than no view at all.

We visited a "real" inside cabin on a cabin crawl once and it seemed incredibly small and closed in.

Two things to watch out for with PR cabins:

1. Try to avoid being in close proximity to the pub. While the central location may seem desirable, we found that, on the one occasion we were in this location, it was noisy until quite late. The cabins towards either end did not have this problem.

2. Always close the curtains if you are in the room with the light on because the people in the cabins opposite will be able to see right into yours (an you into theirs, of course). Believe me, some things are best left unseen!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I have stayed in an inside cabin and never wanted to go back to one regardless of the price.   I have been in Promenade Rooms on Voyager and Explorer and loved them.   I loved being able to look out of the window rather than 4 walls.  I always chose a promenade room at the highest level and about the middle of the deck, but have stayed over where coffee is available and I didn't hear too much noise.  When there were shows on, you would probably enjoy looking down on them and yes they were loud but they ended before midnight and were usually only one a week.  It was good during the daytime looking down on the goings on in the Promenade deck.  I was always careful to close the curtain when dressing.   I always left the net curtain closed as well for privacy but loved looking out. 

• Like 1

we stayed in one once and it was fun. It was our first experience on Royal, and we figured why not get the royal promenade experience and do that. I would suggest being careful about where you book though, as between 6th floor and 7th floor promenade view cabin windows, there are speaker boxes that are directly under the windows on the 7th floor promenade windows. you WILL hear it in your cabins. The 8th floor is going to better in that regard

We've stayed in Promenade rooms and have enjoyed them. Very little price increase over a standard inside cabin. We won't stay in inside rooms anymore however ever since seeing the ships quarantined during the covid breakout requiring people to stay in their cabin for days on end.

2 hours ago, FionaMG said:

We have sailed in a PR view cabin on Explorer, Navigator and Adventure and have always enjoyed them. The layout makes them seem bigger and having the window, even if only overlooking the promenade, prevents them from feeling claustrophobic. You don't get a fantastic view of the promenade, to be honest, but it's still better than no view at all.

We visited a "real" inside cabin on a cabin crawl once and it seemed incredibly small and closed in.

Two things to watch out for with PR cabins:

1. Try to avoid being in close proximity to the pub. While the central location may seem desirable, we found that, on the one occasion we were in this location, it was noisy until quite late. The cabins towards either end did not have this problem.

2. Always close the curtains if you are in the room with the light on because the people in the cabins opposite will be able to see right into yours (an you into theirs, of course). Believe me, some things are best left unseen!

Thank you for the answer and the tips! Were you able to watch some of the parades from the cabins towards the end? From videos it seems like the rooms at the ends could be slightly less private because of the proximity to elevators (more chances of random people being able to look in rather than "just" the people in rooms across from you). Then again, if you're keeping the curtains closed, it shouldn't make a difference.

35 minutes ago, 2chiefs said:

We've stayed in Promenade rooms and have enjoyed them. Very little price increase over a standard inside cabin. We won't stay in inside rooms anymore however ever since seeing the ships quarantined during the covid breakout requiring people to stay in their cabin for days on end.

Hi, thanks for the answer! I have actually been thinking about this and it's the only reason I would go for a balcony now. Then again, I would also cancel a cruise if I didn't feel like covid was semi under control as even in a balcony room, being stuck in a cabin for days on end would be terrible. I was actually meant to go on a cruise this year but decided to postpone because of Delta. Hoping we have it more under control next year! 

1 hour ago, UPNYGuy said:

we stayed in one once and it was fun. It was our first experience on Royal, and we figured why not get the royal promenade experience and do that. I would suggest being careful about where you book though, as between 6th floor and 7th floor promenade view cabin windows, there are speaker boxes that are directly under the windows on the 7th floor promenade windows. you WILL hear it in your cabins. The 8th floor is going to better in that regard

Thanks! Do you mean speaker boxes for the music? Any idea how early they start? I'm not so concerned with the late night crowd being loud, I'll probably be one of them. I'm more concerned about the activities of the early birds and the kids

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

Welcome to CC and no.

Thank you! Would you mind elaborating? Is it that the window didn't do much for you or that you don't mind inside cabins? The difference in this case is about $150-200 pp depending on route.

1 minute ago, LDB2016 said:

Would you mind elaborating? Is it that the window didn't do much for you or that you don't mind inside cabins? The difference in this case is about $150-200 pp depending on route.

"Worth it" is usually a subjective personal decision. The couple of times we tried them, they were the same or less than an inside.

• Like 1

We really like promenade rooms and have no issue booking them.  For straight interiors, unless we really want to save money, we do avoid them (and haven't actually ever booked a straight interior - just one with a screen).  I find that just having the window removes any claustrophobic feeling as you can look outside your room and gives you additional light.  I also find it fun to just check out what's going on, or people watch for a few minutes.  Also, the extra seat by the window is nice for a bit of extra space or seating.

Some complain of noise.  The only night this was an issue for us was 70s night but we were up anyways so not a big deal.  Overall it's fine.  Also, for another complaint, we simply close the blinds when changing.  Easy fix.

The promenade rooms are a great alternative to interior rooms.

• Like 1

I've only had 1 experience with a promenade interior and that's on the Independence. 

The good thing, I liked being able to see and hear the parties going on when the Promenade has a main event ( like the 70s parties) without actually having to go down there.

The bad thing I didn't like was that the window was not very clear.  There was this film on the outside which kind of distorted the view.

My take away is that I wouldn't do it again.  Personally, I don't care about the window and I'm perfectly happy with an interior room.  I will splurge for a balcony if i really want to, but this is my own personal preference.

I've been in a couple of promenade view rooms over the years. The window (and its seat) does make the cabin feel a bit more roomy. While I do think they are slightly nicer than an interior cabin, I would not pay much extra for them. As others have said, be aware that some of them are directly above bars and lounges on the promenade so noise could be an issue. 

1 hour ago, LDB2016 said:

Thank you for the answer and the tips! Were you able to watch some of the parades from the cabins towards the end? From videos it seems like the rooms at the ends could be slightly less private because of the proximity to elevators (more chances of random people being able to look in rather than "just" the people in rooms across from you). Then again, if you're keeping the curtains closed, it shouldn't make a difference.

We were never actually in the room during the parades, but to give you an idea here are some pics of the view from the windows. Sorry about the quality of the pics; I'm a pretty rubbish photographer.

Adventure #7593

20191123_182422.thumb.jpg.815290bd9ecd584a3e27b1b642e34d67.jpg

20191123_182432.thumb.jpg.63ecead67034a0f536c6b4be9af47be2.jpg

20191123_182451.thumb.jpg.c14fb7c08a533ec98eed6880feba4988.jpg

20191123_182518.thumb.jpg.2e77ec6f0a89bb2befd3afc224908f21.jpg

Navigator #7279 (this is the one that was across from the pub and we found it to be very noisy until quite late)

20181123_190657.thumb.jpg.b54f760a71b7de26c21b4818283e7dd6.jpg

20181123_190723.thumb.jpg.0b0cc14aa456461b5157b7458c5ea8cf.jpg

20181123_190739.thumb.jpg.f668d607905b68cd0458a39144b20521.jpg

And this last one, on a different sailing on Adventure #7557, just to show you how important it is to keep the curtains closed (don't worry, the folks in the pic are family members and not random strangers!)

IMGP1927.thumb.JPG.4dcbf11f1f91e104a216721b4fc01248.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

After trying a promenade we never went back to an inside room.  We now do balcony but would have nothing against promenade, we just enjoy sitting on the balcony in the morning and getting fresh air when we want it.  We have enjoyed watching the parade and 70’s night from the promenade.

• Like 2

I have stayed in a Promenade view on Voyager. I have never tried a true "inside" cabin myself, but I have been inside them with friends for a few minutes. The Promenade View rooms are closer in size to Ocean View rooms (with the window) than to an inside cabin. For that extra space alone, let alone the bay window giving additional psychological effect of space, I personally think it is worth it. In other words, the Promenade view rooms not only feel larger than regular inside cabins, they actually are larger. 

• Like 1

On 9/14/2021 at 10:32 AM, FionaMG said:

We were never actually in the room during the parades, but to give you an idea here are some pics of the view from the windows. Sorry about the quality of the pics; I'm a pretty rubbish photographer.

Adventure #7593

20191123_182422.thumb.jpg.815290bd9ecd584a3e27b1b642e34d67.jpg

20191123_182432.thumb.jpg.63ecead67034a0f536c6b4be9af47be2.jpg

20191123_182451.thumb.jpg.c14fb7c08a533ec98eed6880feba4988.jpg

20191123_182518.thumb.jpg.2e77ec6f0a89bb2befd3afc224908f21.jpg

Navigator #7279 (this is the one that was across from the pub and we found it to be very noisy until quite late)

20181123_190657.thumb.jpg.b54f760a71b7de26c21b4818283e7dd6.jpg

20181123_190723.thumb.jpg.0b0cc14aa456461b5157b7458c5ea8cf.jpg

20181123_190739.thumb.jpg.f668d607905b68cd0458a39144b20521.jpg

And this last one, on a different sailing on Adventure #7557, just to show you how important it is to keep the curtains closed (don't worry, the folks in the pic are family members and not random strangers!)

IMGP1927.thumb.JPG.4dcbf11f1f91e104a216721b4fc01248.JPG

That Grey fabric covering under the window is said speaker box I was referencing. Could they hear anything in the cabin?

Edited by UPNYGuy

21 minutes ago, UPNYGuy said:

That Grey fabric covering under the window is said speaker box I was referencing. Could they hear anything in the cabin?

Are you talking about the hazy pic of my in-laws?

They did actually have some sort of very noticeable noise to the extent that it interfered with sleeping. They spoke to GS who sent someone round to investigate who agreed that the noise was present and unacceptable but could not identify what it was or where it was coming from, so they moved them to a balcony cabin on the opposite side of the corridor.

The noise was not the sort you would associate with parades or music or anything like that but I suppose it could have been some sort of electronic noise generated by the speaker.

On 9/13/2021 at 11:30 PM, LDB2016 said:

Hi all! I just wanted to ask for some opinions on whether or not Promenade "windows" are worth the extra $$. I've stayed in interior and balcony staterooms before but have never been on a promenade view room. I personally felt like the balcony was wasted on me because I barely spent any time in it and it didn't help with motion sickness at all so it's not worth the upgrade in my case. Now I'm wondering which of the non-balcony staterooms is right for me. I'm specifically looking at interior vs promenade view. Other than the room feeling slightly bigger, does the window offer any other benefits? Can you enjoy the parades at the Promenade from the room? Is there a way to open the window to let some "fresh" air in? 

I dismissed OV and those virtual balcony ones because I feel like it would make the motion sickness worse, but I'd love to hear your experiences. 

I've also considered just booking a guarantee inside room and hoping it's low and midship but don't know how likely that would be.

We would do the standard inside cabin over the promenade inside cabin. We would never do a guarantee cabin. For us we prefer to pick the cabin location.

I prefer an inside, just because I like dark, quiet, and complete privacy, and as a solo cruiser I don't want the lazy convenience of a balcony or Promenade view--I want to be encouraged to go outside or on the Promenade itself. I'd use the inside savings to go down and order beer in the pub, so I'm not watching life through a window. The other advantage of Royal inside cabins is the virtual balcony. On other ships I always keep the tv on a wake view cam, but the virtual balcony gives me a sort of view without the things I hate about balcony cabins (wind and wind noise, inside temperature control more difficult, illegal smoking, bed mostly blocking the middle of the room, fear of being locked outside, waves crashing on my balcony during a storm, stewards/painters on my balcony, hearing people chat nearby). So far I've been upgraded to a virtual balcony when booking an inside guarantee. As I understand, promenade parades are also on hold now, so even when they are, you might not see all the action, or be too close to the action and noise.