COVID insurance for cruising

Elorac123

Has anyone found travel insurance that covers COVID events while cruising.

Covermore and NIB have a policy for domestic and overseas  but can’t find any cover for cruising.Foolish to go anywhere without as there are still many people still infectious even after the double dosing.

Cheers Carole

6 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

Good to see porcha back.

cover-more, I found it the best 

https://www.covermore.com.au

This article from Cruise Passenger has the following about COVID Insurance. Full article here.

"The giant Cover-More group, one of Australia’s largest insurers and underwriters of major lines like Princess Cruises and Royal Caribbean, told Cruise Passenger while they will cover some COVID-19 related situations. BUT if passengers contract the virus on a ship, they will not be covered. And additional premiums are required.

But NIB is offering cover for vaccinated cruise passengers who contract COVID-19 onboard their cruise."

Always read the T&C's carefully.😉

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

This article from Cruise Passenger has the following about COVID Insurance. Full article here.

"The giant Cover-More group, one of Australia’s largest insurers and underwriters of major lines like Princess Cruises and Royal Caribbean, told Cruise Passenger while they will cover some COVID-19 related situations. BUT if passengers contract the virus on a ship, they will not be covered. And additional premiums are required.

But NIB is offering cover for vaccinated cruise passengers who contract COVID-19 onboard their cruise."

Always read the T&C's carefully.😉

I will go with Cover-More.

Edited by Chiliburn

I think they may be wrong on one detail in the article.  

"And while Australians are lucky in that Medicare covers them on local cruises inside Australian Territorial Waters, that doesn’t apply anywhere else. The Australian government or lines sailing locally may well follow Europe with a mandatory insurance demand."

I always understood that medical services were not covered by Medicare on board ships because the doctors are not part of our system but private operators.  This even in Australian waters.  Ok when you are on land, in port or in NZ because we have an agreement with them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ondine said:

"And while Australians are lucky in that Medicare covers them on local cruises inside Australian Territorial Waters, that doesn’t apply anywhere else. The Australian government or lines sailing locally may well follow Europe with a mandatory insurance demand."

I always understood that medical services were not covered by Medicare on board ships because the doctors are not part of our system but private operators.  This even in Australian waters.  Ok when you are on land, in port or in NZ because we have an agreement with them.

Royal Caribbean was offering free medical ,hotel and repatriation.

up to US$25,000

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

Good to see porcha back.

cover-more, I found it the best 

https://www.covermore.com.au

This is from the Covermore site,the way it reads to me is that if you get COVID on board you are NOT covered 

Where are you travelling?

Australia: Yes, cover is provided.

New Zealand: Yes, cover is provided.

Other destinations: No, cover is not provided.

Are you cruising?

If your trip includes a multi-night cruise and COVID-19 is related directly or indirectly to travel on board the cruise: No, cover is not provided.

Cheers Carole

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Elorac123 said:

This is from the Covermore site,the way it reads to me is that if you get COVID on board you are NOT covered 

Where are you travelling?

Australia: Yes, cover is provided.

New Zealand: Yes, cover is provided.

Other destinations: No, cover is not provided.

Are you cruising?

If your trip includes a multi-night cruise and COVID-19 is related directly or indirectly to travel on board the cruise: No, cover is not provided.

Cheers Carole

Well,things  are evolving .

We can’t ever leave our area at the moment.

Insurance cover will happen,otherwise stay at home.

I will take a calculated risk if I have to.

1 hour ago, Ondine said:

Yes we know once you set foot onboard Medicare does not cover you so maybe they should edit their post just in case a newbie thinks they are covered 

The cruise lines might have to do some deals with the insurance companies otherwise they might get a lot of cancellations if people can't get medical cover for Covid.

It might be OK to take the risk of cruising without cover for domestic cruises, Australia and/or NZ, as long as you're prepared to wear the costs of onboard medical treatment until you can get home or transfer to a local hospital, but it would be too risky for any overseas cruises.

I assume once we are allowed to head more than 5kms on holiday, insurance will follow. As there is currently a do not travel warning, most insurance companies have no cover to offer. When we paid a deposit on our Antartica cruise it was something we considered prior to paying and paid by credit card as a fall back if required, but on the assumption we could get insurance prior to final payment. Ponant have a mandatory insurance requirement but have not been able to provide us with any options. Will wait and see what transpires over the next few months.

10 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

Insurance cover will happen,otherwise stay at home.

I will take a calculated risk if I have to.

Hopefully otherwise we might have to take the Singapore route and have the government enforce cruise lines to provide COVID insurance🤔.

On 9/17/2021 at 8:27 AM, lissie said:

Unless you have pre-existing conditions - they haven't covered my partner's health for years 

I have had a couple of big cancellation claims (around $20,000) with Covermore, one in 2010 and one in 2019  They were paid out. I had pre existing conditions and they covered them, the ANZ Platinum Credit Card free insurance would not cover me, so I went to NRMA who use Covermore.

• Like 1

I wonder if State Governments will be forced to get back in to the insurance industry.  Queensland used to have the State Government Insurance Office which became Suncorp.  People won’t travel without insurance.  Recently Webjet offered insurance for $34 with their flights. From memory, You were covered if you caught covid, but not if there were border closures. 

It will be interesting. We have an insurance policy on hold with Insure&Go, with ten months use still valid on it. It was taken out before Covid was declared a pandemic so has now Covid excusions. It's going to be very interesting to see what happens when we reactivate it.

23 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

I wonder if State Governments will be forced to get back in to the insurance industry.  Queensland used to have the State Government Insurance Office which became Suncorp.  People won’t travel without insurance.  Recently Webjet offered insurance for $34 with their flights. From memory, You were covered if you caught covid, but not if there were border closures. 

All the policies I have read say there in no cover if Government closes a border.

Cheers Carole

On 9/18/2021 at 2:39 PM, MMDown Under said:

NSW still has Government Insurance Office - GIO, but probably privatised by now.