How often do you refare??

Ombud

3 hours ago, Daniel A said:

I signed up on a web site that promises to send me an e-mail if the fare on any cruises I'm booked on drops.  I've never heard a peep out of them.  It's been so long since I signed up, I don't even remember what site it is.

We have never found a reliable site for that decent fare change info.  Years ago we had an excellent cruise agent (now retired and cruising herself) who did a pretty good job spotting changes but that is not the case with our current cruise agents (we generally spread our bookings over 3 discount agencies depending on who has the best deal).  Our current cruise agents all tell us that there is simply no reliable software to watch all the price/promotion changes and we should be vigilant.  

Iancal brought up a great point about moving quickly when you see a price drop (or major promotional change) and we think this is also very true for those of us who routinely look for last minute (generally inside the final payment period) deals.  We have also found that some of the best deals are not advertised by the cruise lines (on line or in a brochure) and are handled quietly by certain high volume and consortium agencies.  The most amazing deals we have ever found came via e-mails from a few cruise agencies with which our e-mail is registered.  In the past we have actually paid less then $60 per passenger day (balcony cabin) for some repositioning cruises.  And one year we snagged an amazing deal on a Northern European HAL cruise at the last minute and then also stumbled on an amazing Business Class fare on SAS (it felt like we hit the daily double or lottery).

With the cruise/travel world there are just too many times when hesitation is a big loss.  We recently made a big mistake when we spotted an amazing 2023 itinerary (Oceania) and talked about it a few days before deciding to book.  Alas it was completely sold out (which happened during our hesitation period).

Hank

• Like 3

As above, this is just one reason we have typically used a great TA (s) in the past.

More than once when we have called our TA, credit card in hand, to secure a late booking cruise we have changed our mind.

Why...because the TA brought another more competitive/attractive offer to our attention that did not show up on any of the cruise line web sites.  On other occasions our TA has, after an email inquirey, called and recommended that we buy immediately in order to secure a balcony cabin at the reference fare.

Happened on our South America cruise.  Booked in the AM with a CAD $ at par offer.   Later in the day our TA sent us the booking details/invoice with a note to say that the offer had been rescinded that afternoon and balcony cabins sold out.

Like others we have missed some very good air and cruise opportunities because we decided to 'sleep' on it.    If you are at the late booking table.....be willing to put your chips on the table when you have a great hand and call the hand.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, iancal said:

As above, this is just one reason we have typically used a great TA (s) in the past.

More than once when we have called our TA, credit card in hand, to secure a late booking cruise we have changed our mind.

Why...because the TA brought another more competitive/attractive offer to our attention that did not show up on any of the cruise line web sites.  On other occasions our TA has, after an email inquirey, called and recommended that we buy immediately in order to secure a balcony cabin at the reference fare.

Happened on our South America cruise.  Booked in the AM with a CAD $ at par offer.   Later in the day our TA sent us the booking details/invoice with a note to say that the offer had been rescinded that afternoon and balcony cabins sold out.

Like others we have missed some very good air and cruise opportunities because we decided to 'sleep' on it.    If you are at the late booking table.....be willing to put your chips on the table when you have a great hand and call the hand.

IDK when this CAD at par happened, but I can recall a couple of times that I could tell the website had obvious pricing error like that and I wasn't looking to book anything, so IDK if Princess would have honored or cited a technical error.

11 minutes ago, Slyfox16 said:

Once final payment is made, can you still have the cruise re-fared?

No, but some people have reported on CC having success getting some OBC.  It does make sense to me that there would be a time-line after which the fare is the fare and cruise line might have some deals for late bookings to fill remaining cabins.   So, requiring it to be a "new booking" would mean a cancel/re-book and then you have cancel penalties after FP date.  It doesn't seem reasonable that customers could get their fares lowered right up to sail date.  Just sayin' with my shareholder hat on.

22 hours ago, Slyfox16 said:

Once final payment is made, can you still have the cruise re-fared?

I know most people say "no" but we have re-fared several times after final payment. In one case, we got OBC and another a refund to our CC. Granted, this was 3 years ago+ and don't expect anyone to cut us any slack at this point. Our TA has gone to bat for us more times than I can count!

• Like 2

My recent experience - We were paid in full for our upcoming November sailing. I saw that deluxe balconies were selling for the same price we were paying for a standard balcony. I emailed our pvp & asked if we could be moved to a deluxe balcony of my choosing, & we were. I don't know the term for that change. Probably not technically a refare, but a change that benefitted us after paid in full. 😊

Edited by 1965
  • Like 1

I just saw a 'sale' on my next Princess cruise.  SIL has an interest in booking the inside opposite our premium deluxe balcony.  The cabin fare has dropped $100 since last night.  I looked at pricing my category cabin and it's $500 more than what I booked at.  I don't think I'll re-fare today...😄

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, 1965 said:

My recent experience - We were paid in full for our upcoming November sailing. I saw that deluxe balconies were selling for the same price we were paying for a standard balcony. I emailed our pvp & asked if we could be moved to a deluxe balcony of my choosing, & we were. I don't know the term for that change. Probably not technically a refare, but a change that benefitted us after paid in full. 😊

We have received several upgrades after final payment due to a drop in fare price.

Fun fact- if you are looking to re fare use a different computer. Just found out today, I booked a 26 day Mediterranean/ TA for next year back in May, on my iPad. I check every week on discounts and re fared in July my deluxe balcony by $600 savings. Wanted to see this week if any mini suites were avail but we’re almost $2000 more so wasn’t interested. I got a new desktop last month and just happened to check pricing today, over $1000 less then yesterday for the mini so I called my TA and he said he didn’t see that price. Odd-I went back to my iPad and it gave me yesterday’s pricing, I took it to my desktop and logged in there- whooo- $800 less for same room them my iPad. So guess what- two hours later and I have the lower price. 

• Like 1

On 9/19/2021 at 8:49 AM, devonuk said:

I’ve never refared… What’s the best way to do it and is it more of a stateside ‘thing?’  

On 9/19/2021 at 10:34 AM, Snaxmuppet said:

I haven't ever refared. I am in the UK and booked direct with Princess... is refaring (if that is a verb!) even possible for me?

Our price has dropped over £400 since we booked 😞 

Brits only get to refare ONCE and have to pay £50 pp for the privilege......

Keep your wits about you before you dive in you only get ONE go !!

unfair is a understatement ....

We re-fared just yesterday for the third time and just this morning it dropped another $200.00 PP again, requested the change for that..

So far here is where we are at. All within the last few weeks. This for a 16day T/A from UK.

1: Re-fared and saved $500.00PP

2: Re-fared and saved $9.00PP and gained $50.00 OBC per person

3: Re-Booked to get another $200.00PP fare reduction AND a $200.00 PP EZAir credit when we book airfare.

4: Re-Fared today and will save another $200.00 PP.

So far, we are going in the right direction!!

• Like 1

I actually had to rebook today to save $97 per cabin. I only did it because air fare was exactly the same price as I had booked. I absolutely made my TA hate me today. My husband might not be happy when he see the bigger deposit on the credit card statement but I will literally redo my airfare to save 2 bucks so he can deal.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, martinitime1 said:

We re-fared just yesterday for the third time and just this morning it dropped another $200.00 PP again, requested the change for that..

So far here is where we are at. All within the last few weeks. This for a 16day T/A from UK.

1: Re-fared and saved $500.00PP

2: Re-fared and saved $9.00PP and gained $50.00 OBC per person

3: Re-Booked to get another $200.00PP fare reduction AND a $200.00 PP EZAir credit when we book airfare.

4: Re-Fared today and will save another $200.00 PP.

So far, we are going in the right direction!!

Is it free yet?

(These would be more meaningful if you included the cabin category).