Are You A Goer or Have You Bailed?

gerryuk

It seems that this "pent up demand" has gone with the wind as far as cruises is concerned. Watching Dons Family Vacations (he is a TA so knows the lie of the land) on Youtube yesterday, he was saying that many cruise lines were slashing prices by double figures to try and get customers on board their ships. 

It seems that most people do not want to go cruising due to all the testing involved, the mask wearing, can only leave the ship with a cruise excursions and other rules. And thats before all the airline / airport rules.

I was reading some CC members who have just come of some ships and was surprised to read one who said that there was so few customers on board his ship, it was hard to strike up a conversation with fellow cruisers.

I had a 2 week Med cruise booked with Costa from the 24th of this month and it was cancelled, 2 weeks ago. As well as the option of FCC and transferring the cruise to next year at the same price, i was also offered a free cruise of my choice (same number of days or less) and only had to pay port fees.

I have another cruise booked with Costa in December, its a TA from Barcelona to Guadeloupe. The way thing are, i am hoping this cruise gets cancelled until next year. 

If you have a cruise lined up for this year, are you on your way or are you going to bail and wait it out?, are you hoping the cruise line cancels?

As much as i like cruising, it seems to me that with so many rules in force and many ships sailing with so few customers on board, this is not my idea of cruising and i will wait it out until next year, and hope for the best. Whats your opinion on the current state of cruising. 

• Like 1

Our cruise is for Jan 31st, so next year.   Even so, I am hoping by then we will not need to get tested prior to boarding.  We are vaccinated and that is good enough for us.  Anticipating that testing may be  required I went by a local CVS to check out tests available etc., yesterday.  Was told to knock on the kiosk outside, which was a large  wooden box size office, no windows.  Knocked no answer, can't even see if anyone in side.   Not even easy to check out facilities in advance, does not give one much comfort.   Tried checking another facility by calling, referred to on line appointments.  I do hope cruise lines drop the testing requirement in 2022.  Let's make it easier not harder.  I would not attempt to fly and get a cruise in Europe at this point.  Too complicated and too much money involved  for me to risk it.   I am booked to go to Mexico round trip out of San Francisco and to Hawaii also out of San Francisco round trip.  All I need to do is take a taxi to the ship.   

8 minutes ago, pris993 said:

Our cruise is for Jan 31st, so next year.   Even so, I am hoping by then we will not need to get tested prior to boarding.  We are vaccinated and that is good enough for us.  Anticipating that testing may be  required I went by a local CVS to check out tests available etc., yesterday.  Was told to knock on the kiosk outside, which was a large  wooden box size office, no windows.  Knocked no answer, can't even see if anyone in side.   Not even easy to check out facilities in advance, does not give one much comfort.   Tried checking another facility by calling, referred to on line appointments.  I do hope cruise lines drop the testing requirement in 2022.  Let's make it easier not harder.  I would not attempt to fly and get a cruise in Europe at this point.  Too complicated and too much money involved  for me to risk it.   I am booked to go to Mexico round trip out of San Francisco and to Hawaii also out of San Francisco round trip.  All I need to do is take a taxi to the ship.   

Use Worksite Lab in SF. 12-15 hour turnaround. 

Just now, CruiserBruce said:

Use Worksite Lab in SF. 12-15 hour turnaround. 

Good for you, I am in San Mateo, don't have the option of a work site lab. I am retired.   Maybe there will be more options if testing continues to be required.  I don't really see the value in it and it is big headache.   

Just now, pris993 said:

Good for you, I am in San Mateo, don't have the option of a work site lab. I am retired.   Maybe there will be more options if testing continues to be required.  I don't really see the value in it and it is big headache.   

I am retired and live in Sonoma County. I have the option of Worksite, located near 101/280. Why wouldn't you?

We were lucky to not have a cruise scheduled when all this started.  We were moving and I was going to book something as soon as we were settled.  Now I don't know when or if we will cruise again.  I can vacation on land without wearing a mask or having to test.  We did a trip to South Dakota this summer, had a good time and there were no restrictions except one hotel was not making up the rooms.  

• Like 2

Most certainly a "goer."  Had a terrific late July-Aug cruise on the Seabourn Ovation in Greece and an upcoming (3 weeks) cruise on the Seabourn Odyssey.  We then hope to be on Oceania in early December.   I mention all this because cruises are happening and some of us are taking advantage.  The key to any travel, these days, is flexibility and booking things that are likely to happen...not cruises that are doubtful.

As to all the whining about restrictions, on our Seabourn Ovation cruise there were no passenger restrictions onboard or at any of our ports.  In fact, passengers were not even required to mask.  The upcoming cruise from Barbados does have port restrictions (cruisers can only go ashore on cruise line sanctioned excursions/activities, but we see that as a small price to pay for spending a couple of weeks on this terrific cruise line.

Hank

• Like 2

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

wearing masks and distancing on ships are not normal;  nor are restricted port visits, testing requirements (pre-cruise or pre-travel) or a lot of other stuff going on.  

I believe you're saying that it's not the requirements themselves but the fact that the requirements are still needed. ??? That's how I'm thinking anyway.

Well, I guess I'm a whiner. I can live with that! I booked a cruise last Dec. for one this Dec. At the time, I thought the pandemic would be behind us. Earlier this week, I rebooked for one next Aug. It's vacation. I just didn't want to deal with the masks and testing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rkacruiser said:

The new "hoops" through which one must jump, and the frequent changing of what these "hoops" may be, discourage me from making reservations for ANY vacation.  

In my own community, do I need to wear a mask to enter a business?   Some yes; some no.   Even when I went to a Post Office, none of the employees were wearing a mask.  The inconsistency is maddening!  

I’m a goer. In fact we are leaving on Monday. Flying down to Ecuador for a Galapagos cruise followed by a land tour in Peru.

it’s been a crazy ride the last few months. The restrictions have changed every couple weeks as far as I can tell. We were made aware a couple weeks ago that the Galapagos needed a pcr test 72 hours ahead to enter. So we have that one. And we’re just notified yesterday that Peru just reinstated their pcr test requirement! Ugh. Excited for the trip but the current environment is difficult.

I just wonder why folks think that mask and test requirements will be eliminated in the near future or even the next few years?  COVID is here to stay and I fear we are into a new normal that most of us do not enjoy.  Our choices are to sit tight and hope that some day (perhaps in our lifetime) the normal will be something close to what was the old normal.  On the other hand, how long are folks willing to wait?  Perhaps it is because DW and I are seniors with the clock ticking that gives us the drive to deal with the current issues and seek out the best options.  For us, sitting and waiting (perhaps forever) is just not a good option.

I do agree with Sanger that the current environment is "difficult."  On the other hand there are times when the tough get going and those that aren't just sit and dream about going.

Hank

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I am a goer; we booked a 3 night last month, another 3 night next month, an 8 night in January, a 3 night in February, 5 night in April, and 12 night in June. 

Demand isn't 100% where it used to be, but I don't think it's as bad as people are making it out to be. It's actually nice having the ships being around 50% capacity

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I just wonder why folks think that mask and test requirements will be eliminated in the near future or even the next few years?  COVID is here to stay and I fear we are into a new normal that most of us do not enjoy.  Our choices are to sit tight and hope that some day (perhaps in our lifetime) the normal will be something close to what was the old normal.  On the other hand, how long are folks willing to wait?  Perhaps it is because DW and I are seniors with the clock ticking that gives us the drive to deal with the current issues and seek out the best options.  For us, sitting and waiting (perhaps forever) is just not a good option.

I do agree with Sanger that the current environment is "difficult."  On the other hand there are times when the tough get going and those that aren't just sit and dream about going.

Hank

this is where we are. In 2020 we were fine sitting on the sidelines and waiting and seeing. We booked our trip in March when the vaccines were coming out hot and heavy and things looked like they were getting better. But I don’t see this ending anymore and not willing to spend more years sidelined. With only 50% of population vaxxed and people filing lawsuits to dig in and stay that way. In the meantime Covid keeps spreading and mutating. My hopes of this being a 1-2 year problem are gone. This may just be life for awhile.

• Like 1

We are “goers” and have four cruises booked between now and March.

Do I like the new protocols? No!!!    But we are now both 70 and have already given this virus almost two years of our travel time.  I will not give it anymore!!

I will roll with the flow, accept the protocols and move on with my life aboard these beautiful vessels.  There are still many beautiful memories left to make!!

Happy travels everyone….wherever you may roam….😁

• Like 5

4 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

I am retired and live in Sonoma County. I have the option of Worksite, located near 101/280. Why wouldn't you?

So is worksite and vendor, I thought you were saying thru the lab your employer uses?

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

The problem with cruising as a vacation right now is that they require protocols not needed for other types of vacations.  If all types of vacations required masks and tests then it would be a matter of going with the requirements or not going anywhere.  Right now I can drive to a location with no testing needed.  I can pick places that do not require masks.  I can have just as much fun or more then going on a cruise.  Just like many people we really enjoyed cruising but now we are finding other types of travel we enjoy too.  Instead of sitting and waiting we are voting with our wallet what type of vacation we want.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We are goers.  In fact we have already gone.  We took advantage of the fire sale prices and took a cruise in July on Crystal, a line we ordinarily would not afford.  We had a cruse booked on Windstar for this month for the same reason, but it was cancelled because Tahiti went on lockdown.  As soon as the funds from Windstar are back on my credit card we will be booking another, probably nearly last minute on Crystal or Celebrity Edge class.  We have one book on Carnival for late January, postponed from this year.  Like Hank, we are late 70’s and no time or health to waste.  Wearing a mask is an annoyance but I do it here when I go out, because though we were vaccinated as soon as we could be, those in our county are possibly 25% vaccinated.  Next county over is only 18%, and the health dept. is having a vaccine clinic on the 30th.  Those receiving the J&J shot will get a $100 Visa gift card.  Those getting Moderna a will get a $50 card and the second $50 card when they get their second shot.  EM

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Keksie said:

The problem with cruising as a vacation right now is that they require protocols not needed for other types of vacations.  If all types of vacations required masks and tests then it would be a matter of going with the requirements or not going anywhere.  Right now I can drive to a location with no testing needed.  I can pick places that do not require masks.  I can have just as much fun or more then going on a cruise.  Just like many people we really enjoyed cruising but now we are finding other types of travel we enjoy too.  Instead of sitting and waiting we are voting with our wallet what type of vacation we want.

Yes, that is true for domestic trips to some places (but do not go to San Francisco where masking has become a permanent part of life unless you are the Mayor).  And if you decide to go to NYC for a vacation be prepared to not only wear masks but to also show your vaccine card to get inside restaurants, the theater, and other venues.  Another problem with domestic travel is the awful service found in many venues primarily due to the lack of enough employees.  

But for international travel testing and masks are pretty common.  And returning  to the USA requires testing.  I have previously pointed out that our 3 week trip to Greece (including a 2 weeks cruise and island hopping) did not require much masking and restrictions although we certainly had our share of tests (4).   Overall, our visit to Greece was among the best trips we have experienced in many years.  The service and quality on our cruise was beyond our expectations and our time island hopping was met with many motivated Greeks who could not do enough to provide good service along with a terrific friendly attitude.  

Hank

4 hours ago, Keksie said:

That's only true for some domestic destinations. Anywhere you have to fly, domestic or international, requires masks. Most international destinations, whether driving, cruising, or flying, require a test. Some like the UK require several tests. Even if it's domestic and driving, some states have mask mandates, some have vaccine mandates, etc. 

7 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I just wonder why folks think that mask and test requirements will be eliminated in the near future or even the next few years?  COVID is here to stay and I fear we are into a new normal that most of us do not enjoy.  Our choices are to sit tight and hope that some day (perhaps in our lifetime) the normal will be something close to what was the old normal.  On the other hand, how long are folks willing to wait?

I expect the requirements to be gone next summer. If masks are still required on the cruise then we will cancel and loose our deposit. After that we will not book another cruise until the restrictions are gone. We are willing to wait as long as we have to wait.

While we wait we can do other things.

The restrictions will be lifted in Sweden September 29 so after that everything will be back to normal here. (At least for a while, noone knows what will happen after that.) 

5 hours ago, awestover89 said:

That's only true for some domestic destinations. Anywhere you have to fly, domestic or international, requires masks. Most international destinations, whether driving, cruising, or flying, require a test. Some like the UK require several tests. Even if it's domestic and driving, some states have mask mandates, some have vaccine mandates, etc. 

True.  However, if you don't want to put up with those restrictions a person can have a fun trip by car to destinations where masks are not required.  We had a lovely trip to South Dakota this summer.  Large cities are not really places we like to visit so I have no desire to go to NYC (we went a few days ahead of a cruise a few years ago and that was enough for us).  California right now is not attractive either. We can wait for international travel.  We are spoiled living close to beautiful beaches in an area where masks are recommended.