Live from Oasis of the Seas - 9/19

mac_tlc

CC Help Jenn
This post was recognized by CC Help Jenn!

"Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic"

mac_tlc was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

Welcome to the Oasis of the Seas! We made the torturous 100 mile ride from Central CT to Bayonne to start our adventure! 

It’s a beautiful almost Fall day ! We are in a Crown Loft, our second time. 

I’ll try to answer questions along the way, anybody else on board feel free to chime in. Here are a few shots of Manhattan from our balcony, with Last Liberty in the foreground. Sailaway is at 5PM.

4EEBEC7E-4AF8-4FCC-A5A0-914877E77A40.jpeg

D41FBAB5-BDE0-403E-968B-77153AD68C32.jpeg

00E47E66-6C4D-45A1-A22C-9488AC5D46E7.jpeg

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 14

2 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

Welcome to the Oasis of the Seas! We made the torturous 100 mile ride from Central CT to Bayonne to start our adventure! 

I’ll try to answer questions along the way, anybody else on board feel free to chime in. Here are a few shots of Manhattan from our balcony, with Last Liberty in the foreground. Sailaway is at 5PM.

Have a great cruise! We’ll be getting on when you’re getting off so I’m excited to follow along. The weather is spectacular today. I’d love to know occupancy level if you happen to hear it. Enjoy🌞

A little about the drive down and check-in…. There are a multitude of ways to get from Central CT to Bayonne, none of them easy or stress-free. We headed west on I-84 to I-684 to Saw Mill River Parkway to GWB. Even on a Sunday morning there are loads of people. The 100 miles took about 2 hrs 5 minutes. 

At arrival, I dropped the bags with the porter then proceeded to drop my wife off near the terminal and then proceed to the parking garage. Other than the $175 bill awaiting our return, it is easy peasy. 

We had a 1:30 boarding time and we’re standing outside the terminal door at 1:08. They were letting everyone in at that point. Negative test results checked twice, vax cards three times, passport once, sea pass twice. There were four different checkpoints. Total time was probably 15-20 minutes. 

Not sure of occupancy, but on a Sunday afternoon in the Fall, it seems everyone is near Playmakers. Yes, American football. 

Lunch was at Coastal Kitchen — the did seat us at about 2:05. Dinner tonight will also be there, followed by a headliner show.

mac_tlc

55D08FA3-026E-45CA-8206-11A68667146C.jpeg

05F6DD5B-4E21-4EE1-B835-C146F8724FEA.jpeg

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

A little about the drive down and check-in…. There are a multitude of ways to get from Central CT to Bayonne, none of them easy or stress-free. We headed west on I-84 to I-684 to Saw Mill River Parkway to GWB. Even on a Sunday morning there are loads of people. The 100 miles took about 2 hrs 5 minutes. 

At arrival, I dropped the bags with the porter then proceeded to drop my wife off near the terminal and then proceed to the parking garage. Other than the $175 bill awaiting our return, it is easy peasy. 

We had a 1:30 boarding time and we’re standing outside the terminal door at 1:08. They were letting everyone in at that point. Negative test results checked twice, vax cards three times, passport once, sea pass twice. There were four different checkpoints. Total time was probably 15-20 minutes. 

Not sure of occupancy, but on a Sunday afternoon in the Fall, it seems everyone is near Playmakers. Yes, American football. 

Lunch was at Coastal Kitchen — the did seat us at about 2:05. Dinner tonight will also be there, followed by a headliner show.

mac_tlc

55D08FA3-026E-45CA-8206-11A68667146C.jpeg

05F6DD5B-4E21-4EE1-B835-C146F8724FEA.jpeg

If possible please post entertainment schedule. Curious to see if it’s the same as the 9/5 cruise. Thank you. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, watertraveler said:

Mac-tic ~  We just got off the Oasis today and had a terrific week.  I hope your weather is as good as we had.  We had just under 2400 passengers onboard.  There was plenty of room for all!

DW and i just got home from driving to buffalo ny..we had a terrific time..masks anyplace inside except for eating and drinking. We had a suite for the first time and the bartenders in the lounge were very nice. they would serve us any drink we wanted all day long...tell MC John and Raj Michael and Brenda said hello

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mac_tlc said:

22 minutes ago, coachmike1959 said:

DW and i just got home from driving to buffalo ny..we had a terrific time..masks anyplace inside except for eating and drinking. We had a suite for the first time and the bartenders in the lounge were very nice. they would serve us any drink we wanted all day long...tell MC John and Raj Michael and Brenda said hello

We just got off too...they hustled us off pretty quick. We picked 8:15 disembark and they call our number at 7:40.  There was some positives of a 2300 passenger count but it was sometimes like a ghost town.  Go have a drink at the Opuis bar. It's hidden at he entrance of the MDR on deck 3. Julius is the bartender and very nice to sit and chat with. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coachmike1959 said:

do you mean you didnt have the booze package and they gave you booze ?  im in a suite next month and i'm not a drinker but wouldnt mind one or 2 during the week

Edited by luckyinpa

mac i know you said you got in 108pm but prior to that did you hear/see anything about suites going in even earlier. i booked late so got a  late time and would love to get in 12 or 1 if possible

also can you drop carryons  in the suite before the cabin is ready? 

thanks!

27 minutes ago, luckyinpa said:

mac i know you said you got in 108pm but prior to that did you hear/see anything about suites going in even earlier. i booked late so got a  late time and would love to get in 12 or 1 if possible

also can you drop carryons  in the suite before the cabin is ready? 

thanks!

When we got there at 1:08, the sign already said they were boarding the 3:00 to 3:30 group so I guess they were way ahead of schedule. We left at 5, so everyone needed to be on by 3:30. 

I had heard on line from folks that said suites could go an hour earlier, and we did on the Allure last month,  but we were Star Class then. I’m gonna bet if you showed up at 1 you may get on or have a short wait.

I’ll ask out attendant about dropping off the carryons. 

mac_tlc

49 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

Here you go!

79E7EECA-9E6E-47AD-8F8B-BA3E48AEF61C.jpeg

We had Earl Turner as the Headliner in the Theatre, he worked hard and brought us a great Vegas type show. The adult comedy entertainment/ comedians were different as well on the 9/12 to 9/19 sailing as to be expected.

52 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

He said it when he did his safety talk, but I missed it. I’ll find out.

I believe it was him, Captain Thore Thorolvsen.  Saturday afternoon he notified the guests that they had a "medical emergency" with a crew member and instead of coming into Bayonne at 0300 from his 17.4 knots that they would be trying to dock closer to midnight at 21.3 knots. Fortunately we had really calm seas and he was able to step on it. We were told by an officer that for the Bayonne 7 nighters that they were going to be averaging about 2,300 passengers with a total of about 2,750 including the crew. When they arrive in Florida they were hoping to have an increase in ridership. However, there were still quite a few cabins on deck six that were housing quarantined crew members that had recently joined the ship last week. The last two days the "pool attendants" kept a steady count of allowing only 9 people in the two outside pools while others could sit on the edge of the pool with their feet in the water. When you think of "the rule" there could be twenty or more people sitting on edge of the pool shoulder to shoulder while  no more than 9 people were allowed in the water. While the Solarium pools were vax only, the outside pools were for un vax and anyone else. All in all, I'd say the second sailing of the Oasis was a success while going by way too fast.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, luckyinpa said:

wow just 450 crew.. i didnt expect the full 2000 though of course. i'm glad to see less than 50 percent capacity for my trip though. 

My husband heard at the Captain's meeting that there were 1900 crew members onboard. I had heard 1700.  Seems like they would definitely need more than 450.😊

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, DJLDRUMS said:

I believe it was him, Captain Thore Thorolvsen.  Saturday afternoon he notified the guests that they had a "medical emergency" with a crew member and instead of coming into Bayonne at 0300 from his 17.4 knots that they would be trying to dock closer to midnight at 21.3 knots. Fortunately we had really calm seas and he was able to step on it. We were told by an officer that for the Bayonne 7 nighters that they were going to be averaging about 2,300 passengers with a total of about 2,750 including the crew. 

I hope the crew member will be ok.   

Are you sure your figure is correct, crew of 450 sounds awfully low?

• Like 1