Meraviglia Dining So Far

BikiniBlonde

I am a virgin MSC cruiser. I usually cruise on Celebrity, but I’ve been on less than a dozen cruises. Before I sailed on Saturday, I read so many online opinions about Meraviglia’s “bland” and “unseasoned” food that I brought Cholula and seasoning mix with me. Yes, I did. 

After two sensational dinners, I am trying to figure out what made people unhappy about their meals. Maybe some people DID get bland food. Maybe some don’t enjoy continental/European cooking. 
If you use a lot of salt and pepper when you sit down at a meal, if you consistently choose chicken breast over any other main course, you MIGHT not like the Meraviglia’s food. 
I’m impressed with the food onboard. I’ve had grouper with “lime and Creole spices,” with some amazing okra/tomatoes/onion on the side. Last night was duck a l’orange. Tonight’s dinner main courses include NY Strip and house-made lobster ravioli.
This is all MDR food, not a specialty restaurant. 
Not saying dining is flawless. Ordering a bottle of cava took way too long, and we were first seated at a group table with strangers. Uh, no. Managers quickly addressed the problems, and stopped by at least twice afterwards to make sure we were  happy.

The food is better than expected, if you stick with what cruise ships do best. If you want hamburgers/mac & cheese, you might be disappointed. 
I paid less than $75/day for a balcony room and perfect duck a l’orange. This discriminating diner is happy AF with MSC.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

We returned from the Meraviglia on Sept 6th. No complaints about the food either, both at the Main Dining Room (Panorama) and at the Marketplace buffet. In fact, we considered the selection, quality and taste to be better than most other mass market cruise lines that we sail on. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, BikiniBlonde said:

I am a virgin MSC cruiser. I usually cruise on Celebrity, but I’ve been on less than a dozen cruises. Before I sailed on Saturday, I read so many online opinions about Meraviglia’s “bland” and “unseasoned” food that I brought Cholula and seasoning mix with me. Yes, I did. 

After two sensational dinners, I am trying to figure out what made people unhappy about their meals. Maybe some people DID get bland food. Maybe some don’t enjoy continental/European cooking. 
If you use a lot of salt and pepper when you sit down at a meal, if you consistently choose chicken breast over any other main course, you MIGHT not like the Meraviglia’s food. 
I’m impressed with the food onboard. I’ve had grouper with “lime and Creole spices,” with some amazing okra/tomatoes/onion on the side. Last night was duck a l’orange. Tonight’s dinner main courses include NY Strip and house-made lobster ravioli.
Not saying dining is flawless. Ordering a bottle of cava took way too long, and we were first seated at a group table with strangers. Uh, no. Managers quickly addressed the problems, and stopped by at least twice afterwards to make sure we were  happy.

The food is better than expected, if you stick with what cruise ships do best. If you want hamburgers/mac & cheese, you might be disappointed. 
I paid less than $75/day for a balcony room and perfect duck a l’orange. This discriminating diner is happy AF with MSC.

There are people in this world that would find things to complain about on a free cruise.  We sailed MSC in 2019, went in with an open mind, and had a blast.  Glad you had fun, that is what counts!

• Like 2

We sailed on the Seaside and we thought the buffet was great, specialty restaurants were great, the main dining room was not so great.  Our waiters had a problem with English, the wait was long, the food was cold, bland, and the deserts weren't that great.  We are going on the Meraviglia in November and I'm hoping that the main dining room is improved over the Seaside. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BikiniBlonde said:

Can you post main dining room menus? Was the NY strip an upcharge?

On 9/20/2021 at 12:58 PM, Native Floridian 26 said:

NY Strip was served last night in the MDR with no upcharge. Steak and lobster have been listed on the upcharge menu on other nights. I haven’t had luck with  posting menus. I keep getting error messages. 

0DF2E3C9-43C3-45C8-A224-E9CFC3EA52B3.jpeg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, BikiniBlonde said:

NY Strip was served last night in the MDR with no upcharge. Steak and lobster have been listed on the upcharge menu on other nights. I haven’t had luck with  posting menus. I keep getting error messages. 

This menu that you have posted is quite a good menu.  There ought to be nothing for someone to quibble about those selections.  

On 9/20/2021 at 12:32 PM, miataman19 said:

If I can get my steak and eggs in the morning I'll be a happy cruiser..

Not that I recall that Steak and Eggs are on the usual YC Restaurant menu.  But, I do think that might be possible with a request to the Maitre d' before the morning that you would like to have that.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BikiniBlonde said:

0DF2E3C9-43C3-45C8-A224-E9CFC3EA52B3.jpeg

Looks yummy! Can't wait to go 10/2nd:)

Sailing in 12 days in the YC. Anyone have experience with the YC Dining Room? I've been told they are very accommodating with any special requests. If I can get my steak and eggs in the morning I'll be a happy cruiser...lol

On our January 2020 Meraviglia cruise in the YC we thought the food was great, especially the different risottos offered each day.  Having lived in Italy for 5 years, we have very high standards for risottos and thoroughly enjoyed each of them.

• Like 2

Sailing in 12 days in the YC. Anyone have experience with the YC Dining Room? I've been told they are very accommodating with any special requests. If I can get my steak and eggs in the morning I'll be a happy cruiser...lol

Sailed in the YC on Meraviglia back in August.  Found the food to be as good if not better than the Haven restaurant on NCL.  Very satisfied with the food in the YC restaurant and in the special YC enclave on Ocean Cay.

IMG_4214.JPG

IMG_4236.JPG

IMG_4255.JPG

IMG_4209.JPG

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, GA Dave said:

Sailed in the YC on Meraviglia back in August.  Found the food to be as good if not better than the Haven restaurant on NCL.  Very satisfied with the food in the YC restaurant and in the special YC enclave on Ocean Cay.

IMG_4214.JPG

IMG_4236.JPG

IMG_4255.JPG

IMG_4209.JPG

thanks for making me hangry.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, GA Dave said:

Very satisfied with the food in the YC restaurant and in the special YC enclave on Ocean Cay

The Lobster Roll that was served in the YC Ocean Cay restaurant was delicious and was difficult to eat as a sandwich because it was so full of the filling.  

• Like 3

On 9/20/2021 at 9:37 AM, Gatordad1967 said:

There are people in this world that would find things to complain about on a free cruise.  We sailed MSC in 2019, went in with an open mind, and had a blast.  Glad you had fun, that is what counts!

On one cruise (not on MSC) we happened to be seated with the same couple several times.  They had many complaints and especially about the food, which we thought very good.  On the last night they let slip that they had won the cruise on some raffle and were sailing absolutely free.  

They complained more than anyone else I have ever listened too.  We had a lovely cruise.  Some people just enjoy complaining or can't be pleased.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

On 9/20/2021 at 11:58 AM, Native Floridian 26 said:

I agree with Bikini on all this.  I'm currently on Divina and loving the MDR every night.  Bikini, if they offer the swordfish, it's spectacular. Native,  We went to the Butcher's Cut and my friend had the NY Strip.  The next day, he had it, at no charge, in the MDR.  He said he preferred the one at BC, it was seasoned a little differently, but, loved it in the MDR, as well.  

• Like 1

On 9/22/2021 at 7:03 PM, rkacruiser said:

Not that I recall that Steak and Eggs are on the usual YC Restaurant menu.  But, I do think that might be possible with a request to the Maitre d' before the morning that you would like to have that.  

Steak for breakfast was available by request when I sailed in YC.

• Like 1