9-25 to 10-2 Alskan Explorer Trip Report

Brentt_M

So I when Alaska bookings opened up for this year I quickly booked a spot on the 2nd HAL sailing of the season and had such a good time I am going back for the last HAL sailing of this season.

The 1st trip was just me and my 2 kids. This trip will be just my brother and me. It is his 1st cruise ever and he is getting really excited.

We don't fly out until tomorrow morning so I am a little nervous about that since it is the 1st time I have ever flown in day of the cruise.

We completed our BinaxNow at home test a little while ago and both got negative results.  The BinaxNow process was so easy. I know the testing requirements have caused a lot of stress for people, but highly recommend the BinaxNow option it was completely stress free.

I am not sure if this will end up being a live from or not. I do not have the internet included in my booking and based on my experience earlier in the season I am not sure it is worth purchasing. Either way I will try to provide updates while we are in port.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Safe travels for you! This last week was rainy and windy. Our sea day on the way north was really bumpy! Rain at first in Juneau.  The clouds played peek a boo in Glacier Bay and included quite a bit of rain. We had to skip Sitka due to an incoming storm, disappointing. Rain all day in Ketchikan. Beautiful but cool today. 

• Like 2

Well we got delayed on our way to baggage claim as there was a security breach and they had to resolve that before we could proceed.  Only took a little over 5 minutes but felt much longer.  We have our bags and are waiting on the HAL transfer to load.

Hopefully will be on the ship before noon!

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, Brentt_M said:

So they have decided to drop sitka from our itinerary and replace it with Skagway. This was based off some predicted bad weather/storms forming.  We will be going to skagway on Tuesday and Glacier Bay on Wednesday now.

Skagway is a great place. Sounds like the weather these last two weeks has been fickle for Sitka. Glad you are getting a port day instead of an extra day at sea. 

• Like 2

Just now, Brentt_M said:

So they have decided to drop sitka from our itinerary and replace it with Skagway. This was based off some predicted bad weather/storms forming.  We will be going to skagway on Tuesday and Glacier Bay on Wednesday now.

I hope you are happy with this.  I would be thrilled.  Sitka is awesome, but you were just there.   Quality substitution, imho.  Many years ago we did an excursion on inflatable boats to look at eagle breeding ground.  So much fun.  And really like the Gold Rush vibe there.  Lucky you!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AncientWanderer said:

I hope you are happy with this.  I would be thrilled.  Sitka is awesome, but you were just there.   Quality substitution, imho.  Many years ago we did an excursion on inflatable boats to look at eagle breeding ground.  So much fun.  And really like the Gold Rush vibe there.  Lucky you!

Not upset at all. I have not been to Skagway before so I am looking forward to it.

• Like 5

We're on-board as well. We have such beautiful weather for our sail away! We lost both Sitka & Icy Straight Point, but are excited to be going to Skagway. Plus our arrival time into Ketchikan changed from 7am to 9am, so it is nice not to have to be up extremely early that day. We're thrilled to be sailing again and look forward to what the week will bring! 😀 

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Dancerforlife said:

We're on-board as well. We have such beautiful weather for our sail away! We lost both Sitka & Icy Straight Point, but are excited to be going to Skagway. Plus our arrival time into Ketchikan changed from 7am to 9am, so it is nice not to have to be up extremely early that day. We're thrilled to be sailing again and look forward to what the week will bring! 😀 

This is off-subject, but noticed you are from Canada. Do you need another Covid test to get back to BC after your trip? Glad you are ok with the route change...stuff happens when you cruise!

35 minutes ago, Brentt_M said:

Not upset at all. I have not been to Skagway before so I am looking forward to it.

I love Skagway! On my first Alaska cruise the ship went to both Skagway and Sitka. I was looking forward to Sitka, but was disappointed as it seemed like a real city, with traffic and traffic lights. Not like the Alaska I had imagined at all. Skagway really looked like Alaska. 

If you don't get sucked in by the tacky stores, but concentrate on the buildings they are in instead, you can really enjoy the town. Check out the Arctic Brotherhood Lodge, and the story behind its façade. Then go through the museum pretty much across the street. If you can walk a distance, head out to the cemetery, and remember the story of the Gold Rush and the shoot-out one night. 
There are also some great tours. 

I think Skagway has a lot of history, and is worth a visit. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1