News from Tahiti that will affect TransPacific cruising

davwen81

Taken from PG Board: 

Big News from FP  .... today the first phase of ship restrictions was announced ....

"New cruise regulations come into force in French Polynesia from Jan. 1, 2022. According to Tahiti Cruise Club, they are as follows:
favor year-round turnaround ships based in French Polynesia and of small and medium capacities (up to 700 passengers);
allow transpacific repositioning of turnaround ships with the capacity of up to 2,500 passengers (capacity of the future Papeete cruise terminal);
for transpacific cruises, limit the capacity of the ships calling in French Polynesia waters to 3,500 passengers. Calls of larger capacity ships put stress on maritime infrastructure, services (transport and activities), as well as on the environment, which is especially the case in remote islands. Tahiti, Moorea and Raiatea will be preferred islands calls for these large capacity ships, according to Tahiti Cruise Club;
refuse stopovers of very large capacity ships (over 3500 passengers). Tahiti Cruise Club said that their capacity and size are not suitable for the destination.

The mega ships are gone ... Bora Bora will likely invoke their policy: "limited the capacity of the ships calling in its lagoon by deciding that the number of cruise passengers per day could not exceed 1,200."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, woodscruise said:

I will be interested to see how the cruise lines will react to this news. Maybe new ports of call. Tonga and America Samoa come to mind.

On ye olde Regal Princess, LA to Sydney in September 2007, we stopped at Tonga and American Samoa, personally, I did not find them that enjoyable or interesting.

• Like 1

We stopped in American Samoa on the Hawaii/Tahiti cruise. Meh!

If Bora Bora brings in restrictions on passenger numbers that's going to bugger up the Princess Hawaii/Tahiti cruises.

Princess might have to rethink building bigger ships if other ports start bringing in passenger number restrictions. If they don't their itineraries will start to look very boring and people will look for alternative options.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Princess might have to rethink building bigger ships if other ports start bringing in passenger number restrictions. If they don't their itineraries will start to look very boring and people will look for alternative options.

I think this is going to go for most South Pacific ports. Tendering is bad enough now, I hate to think what it's going to be like at Lifou, Isle of Pines, Dravuni or Mystery Island with 4000+ passengers on board.

Who wants to go on a cruise that can only stop at Noumea, Vila, Suva or Lautoka?

Edited by SinbadThePorter

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

If Bora Bora brings in restrictions on passenger numbers that's going to bugger up the Princess Hawaii/Tahiti cruises.

Princess might have to rethink building bigger ships if other ports start bringing in passenger number restrictions.

I think Princess maybe ok for a while, as Coral Princess passenger capacity is around 2,000 lower berths and around 2,400 maximum.

1 hour ago, woodscruise said:

I think Princess maybe ok for a while, as Coral Princess passenger capacity is around 2,000 lower berths and around 2,400 maximum.

Coral might be OK for some of the French Polynesian ports but will be too big for Bora Bora if they bring in the 1200 pax rule.

Hmmm, so I literally booked the transpacific this week on Quantum for 2023, but the only ports were the Tahiti ports, so doubt we will go if there are no stops there.

ive got a historical on board booking certificate on celebrity that is currently holding a Galapagos cruise next year that we don’t intend to take, maybe I’ll move it to the celebrity transpacific as the ship is only 2850 passengers, more chance of it stopping there and having it as a back up if RCCL have to cancel/change all their ports.

Will wait and see if there are any announcements from the cruise lines.

19 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Won't worry many Aussies as many of them do the same itinerary every year, like NZ or the Islands, bit boring after a couple of times.   Spread thy wings.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Won't worry many Aussies as many of them do the same itinerary every year, like NZ or the Islands, bit boring after a couple of times.   Spread thy wings.

For some people the ship is the destination on a cruise, they don't care where it goes.

I put our cruises into three categories:

1. NZ to catch up with famiy and friends

2. Cruises to go to new places where the itinerary is important.

3. Cruises to chill out on where it doesn't matter what the itinerary is (but preferably somewhere warm) because being on the ship is the important thing.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

For some people the ship is the destination on a cruise, they don't care where it goes.

I put our cruises into three categories:

1. NZ to catch up with famiy and friends

2. Cruises to go to new places where the itinerary is important.

3. Cruises to chill out on where it doesn't matter what the itinerary is (but preferably somewhere warm) because being on the ship is the important thing.

Agree, although the transpacific for me was a mix of 2&3. Definitely picked for the number of sea days, but also going to Tahiti which was new. 

We used to alternate November Fiji or NZ and always a mid year 10day cheapy on Carnival up to the islands. March 2023 we've booked the 35day Hawaii Tahiti one.

Article in the NSW Sunday Telegraph about how Fiji is cracking its neck to get tourism going to the point of the Gov subsidising 10days including flights food drinks etc for under $1000.00 per person. So that may auger well for cruises there.

33 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I am a destination cruiser so ports of call are the most important feature.

Same, always get off to do a ships tour, private tour or get around independently.

Saying that, the ships and its facilities/activities are also an attraction, I mean to say how can one go on board and not join the choir or perform some karaoke after half a dozen vinos. lol.

Edited by NSWP

Cruising is an ideal holiday, unpack once.

Agree about the ship can be the destination but its also nice to wake up to a new place every day, even if you do not intend to get off.

Covid 19 is still a big problem for the small pacific islands.

Hope it improves for them soon. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pully8 said:

Cruising is an ideal holiday, unpack once.

It's more than just that, especially for families. No chores other that getting the kids dressed and off to Kids Club meaning the parents get some me-time. Meals included so no extra costs there, and entertainment is also provided. 

As long as there are a few sea days to relax in even a solid destination cruise is an easy holiday.

• Like 2

Agree more families and extended families of all ages can cruise and relax together.

A wonderful opportunity to share time together.

Lets hope that can happen again soon.

On our last Christmas/New year cruise, before the pandemic, there were many family groups and different generations. For some it had been an annual event for years.  

On 9/25/2021 at 2:16 PM, OzKiwiJJ said:

I hope Bora Bora isn't taken off the Hawaii/Tahiti cruise, it is one of the reasons we have booked for April 2023, been to American Samoa and Tonga, not really wanting to go back to those ports, will have to wait and see and stay tuned on cruise critic site.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, subaru94 said:

I hope Bora Bora isn't taken off the Hawaii/Tahiti cruise, it is one of the reasons we have booked for April 2023, been to American Samoa and Tonga, not really wanting to go back to those ports, will have to wait and see and stay tuned on cruise critic site.

Bora Bora is nice as is Raratonga and Moorea.

• Like 1

People were wondering if the forced break from Covid would lead to destinations rethinking their tourism capacity, it seems that actually happened for FP. I think in a way this was always inevitable, over tourism is becoming a problem and when the world gets moving again those same destinations are going to fill up again. No matter what they do with infrastructure there was going to be point where caps on visiting numbers would be the only solution. Now, before the tourism gets into full swing is really the best opportunity to install these caps.